Roll Call
0 members (), 62 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Father of the Teen Titans, Doom Patrol Passes
#502150 12/06/04 05:50 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Bob Haney, credited with the creation of the Teen Titan, Doom Patrol and Sgt. Rock (among others) passed away on Thanksgiving from complications of a stroke he suffered previously. Newsarama has more details and Mark Evanier has written an obituary .

Re: Father of the Teen Titans, Doom Patrol Passes
#502151 12/06/04 09:41 PM
Active
Active
Truly sorry to hear of his passing. We have once again lost another hero.
I wonder what he thought about Byrne's Doom Patrol?

Looking for Earth Prime.
#502152 12/07/04 10:15 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
R.I.P. Bob.

He wrote so many wonderfully bizarre stories that not even the biggest continuity geeks could complain that they didn't "fit".

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#502153 12/08/04 12:32 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
wow ... he told some cool stories and made some great characters

#502154 12/11/04 01:03 AM
Leader
Leader
ARNOLD DRAKE said it was okay to pass on his comments...

"Dreadful news. Bob was a very talented and decent man. We were extremely close for several years. Spent the summer of '65 (I think it was) working on a thriller-satire called "THE ASSASSINATOR". (The word didn't really exist. But we were turned on by its freshness.)

In the Spring of '62, I think it was, Murray Boltinoff asked me to come up with a new superhero to try and save My Greatest Adventure. Overnight I had most of The Doom Patrol
shaped up: a scientific genius in a wheelchair leads a pair of superheroes who don't like being 'freaks'. He cajoles/ taunts them into shaking off their self-pity and using their fantastic qualities to build a better world. When I brought the concept to Murray, Elastigirl and Robotman were well developed. Murray flipped over it and said, "Write it!". But I was convinced I needed one more character. And I had only a weekend in which to find the character and write a 16 page origin story.

Coming out of Murray's office I met Bob in the hall and told him a bit about the DP. He also loved the concept. He had no weekend assignment so he asked if he could help find the third superhero. He was always a pleasure to work with and time was breathing down my neck. I said, "Okay!"

So we sat down and began the search that eventually produced Negative Man. He was, I think, the most unique of the trio. And when I later developed that ghastly glowing figure under the banadages, he really became something else. But Bob was there when we midwifed Neg Man into being,

We wrote a storyline, "tore" it in half and went to our respective homes to write the script. I did the first half and he the second. Back in the city (he lived in Woodstock) we performed minor suregery to make the pieces fit neatly together. I wrote every story on my own after that. But Bob was there on day one and I've spoken of that countless times.

He is a great loss. There was no one I was closer to in the field. Though we saw each other only once ( '99 San Diego ComCon) after he moved to Mexico, I am going to miss him.

This has been a bitch of a year for me. And it doesn't help much to say, "It comes with the territory!"

Called Infantino to give him the bad news and then he gave me another bit: Irwin Donenfeld died about two weeks ago. He'd been very sick for many years. Had his colon removed about 20 years ago. Currently he was under dialysis. So his quality of life was miserable-- despite all his money. Some will say the guy was better off dead. I would say, "That's up to the guy to decide, not us".

Love&knishes"

#502155 12/11/04 08:00 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Thank you for passing that along Prof. I love to hear those 'birthing' stories. And I'm saddened to hear about Irwin Donenfeld. If I recall right he ran DC in the late 60's, taking over from his father (Henry, Harry?) who founded DC.

#502156 12/11/04 11:59 PM
Leader
Leader
Your welcome. I hadn't heard it myself, which is why I asked. I'd have posted this at the DC Boards-- except I swore I wasn't going back there ever again...!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,964
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
SoM
SoM
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star