Roll Call
1 members (idle), 41 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Jfposey - 05/07/24 09:45 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/07/24 08:27 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/07/24 08:07 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:37 AM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by stile86 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
"Wonder Woman" spoilers !!!
#503699 02/19/04 06:09 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

not sure if people read "WW" here, don't really see that many mentions ....

but how many times is PARADISE ISLAND gonna be destroyed !!!???

and i'm sure the only reason this time is because no one wants the draw Phil Jiminez's version of it, beacuse they probably think it takes too long ....

and did anyone think the "Down to Earth" storyline by Greg Rucka, simply took too long !!! and nothing much happened !!!???

i did like the interaction between the characters, but it just seemed like it went on too long, and the payoff came in the last couple of pages !!!

is this another extended story for the sake of a TPB ???

Matthew.

Re: "Wonder Woman" spoilers !!!
#503700 02/19/04 07:02 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I dropped Wonder Woman after the second of Simonson's blah storyarc. Looks like I made the correct choice.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#503701 02/19/04 07:27 PM
Leader
Leader
Please tell me you're joking!

ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!
#503702 02/19/04 08:12 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
What happened to Paradise Island this time?

#503703 02/19/04 09:28 PM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
Hera, furious with Zeus for various reasons, kicked at a mystical pool of water in Olympus, and created a huge tidal wave that wiped Paradise Island out.

It *is* getting tiresome, isn't it? I took a quick peek at the WW board on the DCMBs, and the regulars there were predictably ticked off, and understandably so. It seems that there has to be a massacre of Amazons every year or so in the DCU...

#503704 02/19/04 10:37 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It's ludicrous.

The Wonder Woman mythos needs a TOTAL retcon.

It doesn't help that Hippolyta and Donna are gone now. I find them infinitely more interesting than Diana. It's a shame the Diana/Bruce flirtation was ended in JLA... that at least was interesting.

I'm not missing Wonder Woman at all...

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#503705 02/19/04 10:43 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The only Wonder Woman issues I've ever picked up since the first few issues (including a signed copy of #1) of Perez's run were the OWAW cross-overs. I enjoyed the Day in the Life issue of Diana and Lois.

#503706 02/20/04 03:43 PM
Active
Active
I've been picking up WW since Rucka took over and have been thoroughly enjoying myself. This is only my first time seeing Paradise Island destroyed so I can't say I'm too upset about it. I really didn't mind the pacing on the "Down to Earth" storyline. It gave me chance to get to know the new cast of characters that I find quite interesting. I'll take overlong characterization any day over issues long fight scenes designed to look "kewl" with no more than two panels a page (*cough* Legion *cough*).

I love the updated look of most of the gods. I think this is a step in the right direction, and is a part of my staying with this title.

Many people have criticized the book for its preachiness on certain political issues. Strangly enough that hasn't bothered me too much. If Diana was a real person, I probably would be joining the protest rallies against her. But since both the writer and the character are upfront about what their trying to do, it doesn't really bother me too much. She is writing a book that says what she believes. That's it. Quite different from what Joe Kelley has been doing in JLA.

Anyway, I've never picked up an issue before the current run, but it looks like I'm giong to stick around awhile to see what happens.

#503707 02/20/04 04:02 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I think Rucka on the book has made Wonder Woman the best it's been since I've started reading it on a daily basis, even better than Jimenez.

The whole Paradise Island thing is pretty annoying though, I'm tired of it being destroyed. It's been destroyed like every other year now since before Byrne took over.

But I do think the book is good, Rucka has given her some new interesting supporting cast members, has made Ares interesting (after many writers have tried) and done some other stuff. I would like for Diana to have a decent love interest though, that's not Superman (please no).

I've always thought that Donna was the most interesting by far, and the fact that she was killed so badly has made it harder for me to accept the Titans and Outsiders series, although I'm enjoying both now. Jeez, how many times do we have to see Donna die and then have a "Who is Donna Troy?" story. That might even be more than the times Paradise Island has been destroyed.

#503708 02/20/04 10:48 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Pretty much in the same boat as Super Lad Kid. Most of this is new to me as I only picked up a few PJ issues (love a good nazi butt kicking with dinosaurs), the Simonson run, which was so-so okay.

I've enjoyed the more story telling, less pummeling approach of Rucka, though see no reason that psycho midgit was brought into it.

#503709 02/20/04 11:06 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I have started and stopped reading WW many times over the current 200 issue run, and am dropping it again now, but mainly as a result of budgetary constraints. Rucka's story is okay, and the artwork is nice but like others have said, I miss Hippolyta and Donna. And the regularly scheduled destruction of Paradise Island has been done to death...

Would somebody please just fix Silver Swan and get the poor girl on with her life?

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
#503710 02/21/04 12:00 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Strange, indeed. I picked up issue 201 because of those two gorgeous winged Gorgons. (Shown quite against past tradition. They were as hideous as their sister Medusa.) One issue doesn't a well-told series make, o'course.

#503711 02/21/04 04:30 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by the boy with UltraPowers:
[QB and did anyone think the "Down to Earth" storyline by Greg Rucka, simply took too long !!! and nothing much happened !!!???

i did like the interaction between the characters, but it just seemed like it went on too long, and the payoff came in the last couple of pages !!!

is this another extended story for the sake of a TPB ???

Matthew. [/QB]
i hope my initial post didn't make people think i didn't like the current run by Rucka ..... i do and i have really enjoyed the new characters, and the modern take on the god's but my main point was, i just thought it took a little too long to take !!

and then to see Paradise Island destroyed again !!! just made me wanna see if anyone else had thought this ???

i am still going to read "WW" .....

smile Matthew.

#503712 02/21/04 06:00 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Of everything I've read here, the only thing that piques my interest is the mention of "modern take on the gods". I bet that IS cool. But probably not enough for me to read the book...

#503713 02/21/04 07:58 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by MLLASH:
It's ludicrous.

The Wonder Woman mythos needs a TOTAL retcon.

IMHO, and I hope Levitz lurks here so he can read this, the ENTIRE DCU needs a total retcon.

We are now nearly as far removed (19 years) from Crisis as it was from the height of the Silver Age (20-25 years). Problem is, these last 20 years have been mostly about straightening out the new continuity, rather than just telling good stories.

I say to you all now, as I said in 1985, and as I have benn saying ever since, merging all the mutiverses into one was a HUGE mistake. The better idea would have been to have left all the various mutiverses intact and to have simply moved the focus to a new Earth, for a new generation of readers, where the herioc age was just emerging. All new updated versions of the characters, not retro-fitted hodgepodges of every version of the character up till now.

With Julius Schwartz having just passed, I can think of no better tribute to the man than to give us back the multiverse.

#503714 02/21/04 03:07 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Of everything I've read here, the only thing that piques my interest is the mention of "modern take on the gods". I bet that IS cool. But probably not enough for me to read the book...
It is pretty neat to see, Lash. The gods are starting to wear modern clothing to keep up with the times. Ares is dressed in a nice suit. Athena, the goddess of wisdom, now looks like a librarian complete with a laptop. The young god Eros looks like a gender-bending teen. Aphrodite doesn't wear much at all, just some swirling mist surrounding her X-rated parts. The catch is that Zues and Hera don't realize the changes going on around them and are losing their power to the other gods, whose attributes are more celebrated in today's society. So those two are still wearing the old Greek togas. I can't be too much more descriptive since I don't have the issues in front of me right now.

It's been enough of a catch for me to keep interested. The whole back story with the Silver Swan makes little sense to me since I don't know their history.

On a related note, it was wierd seeing Dr. Psycho here. My only exposure was in the Team20 Legion story awhile back. For a moment I was thinking of him as a Legion villain and thought it was cool to see him in a WW book.

#503715 02/22/04 02:24 PM
Active
Active
Yikes!

I have to say I think the new look gods are terrible!

How can Ares strike fear into anyones heart when he dresses like David Hasselhoff in Knightrider?

#503716 02/23/04 10:29 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I dunno... David Hasselhoff scares the Hell out of me...

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#503717 02/23/04 01:27 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
[Super Lad Kid]
{[...] The gods are starting to wear modern clothing to keep up with the times. }

I'll say. You didn't have most immortals wearing this little in ancient Greece! *smacks lips*

click to enlarge
(click on thumbnail for full image)

#503718 02/23/04 02:11 PM
Deputy
Deputy
So you are saying that in Wonder Woman, the Gods are "re-making" themselves in man's image? laugh

Something Filthy!
#503719 02/24/04 02:50 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I am so on the verge of dropping this book!!!!

Let the Fun Begin!
#503720 02/24/04 07:38 PM
Active
Active
To each their own, I guess. This arc has actually made a new fan out of me.

(Greybird) {I'll say. You didn't have most immortals wearing this little in ancient Greece! *smacks lips*}

LOL. Those two look like they could fill in for Christina and Britany.

#503721 02/27/04 11:13 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by icefire:
I am so on the verge of dropping this book!!!!
I've already past the verge. Bye-bye WW.

#503722 02/28/04 04:40 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Im only buying sporadically now. I bought Jiminez' run in its entirety, but I dropped it midway through Simonson. I tried again with Rucka, but I just don't care for it.

He's put a lot of work into it, but something's missing. Passion. Jiminezs' run, love it or hate it, had a passion that you could feel when reading the book. I don't get that with Rucka. It's more like, "let's plug story point A into character B and see where we can take it. Oh, and for good measure, let's destroy Paradise Island again!"

Sorry, no thanks...

Touch the magic...
#503723 02/28/04 09:35 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Danny Blaine:
Jiminezs' run, love it or hate it, had a passion that you could feel when reading the book.
why did so many people hate Phil's run on the book !!! i've read that, people thought that the writing was really bad, but were there any other reasons ???

i thought his issues were the best since the original Perez start !!! IMO ....

no matter what anyone can say about them, you could tell that Phil :loved: drawing and writing WW and her cast of characters, even if there were something "missing" ???

Matthew.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,189
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star