Roll Call
0 members (), 11 Murran Spies, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/26/24 06:57 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:51 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/25/24 08:03 PM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 22 23
Marvel's X-verse
#507101 09/11/07 01:36 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
First up, an image of what's apparently a new X-FORCE title:

newsarama retailer\'s meeting info

Can't say this line-up appeals to me much. I like Warpath and Wolfsbane-- but each has been pretty compelling where they were.

If this is it for X-Force, I'll likely skip it.

Oh, yeah, something else I won't be getting (unless there's some very unexpected 'guest stars')--

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">CABLE's getting his own title--- to replace CABLE/DEADPOOL. </span></span>

Sorry, to that book's fans.

Re: Marvel's X-verse
#507102 09/11/07 10:43 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Re: X-Force
Yeah, what I really want is a book full of badasses... :rolleyes:

#507103 09/11/07 11:47 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I was hoping to see Warpath more in Uncanny. The X-Force pic looks good for an arc or subplot within one of the main books or even a mini. But an ongoing? eh.

#507104 09/11/07 11:50 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I haven't cared about the X-books in over a decade now. But I've got to say, after all this hype and the upcoming mega-X events and the new X-books coming out, I still can't find it in me to care.

It's a shame really, as X-Men was the second title I collected on a regular basis (Legion being the first). It was during the Dark Phoenix saga... good times. Good times.

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
#507105 09/11/07 12:03 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I thought for sure Carey's X-title would become the new X-Force with Cable, Sam and Iceman as members (given its not the original title). Have to say if that's the line-up, I wont' be buying. But maybe there's more to it than that.

I'd like Warpath and Wolvesbane where they are.

Feel bad for Reboot and other Cable/Deadpool fans.

#507106 09/11/07 12:09 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Omni Craig:
I haven't cared about the X-books in over a decade now. But I've got to say, after all this hype and the upcoming mega-X events and the new X-books coming out, I still can't find it in me to care.

It's a shame really, as X-Men was the second title I collected on a regular basis (Legion being the first). It was during the Dark Phoenix saga... good times. Good times.
Mirrors me exactly Craig. I haven't cared for the X books in years, not counting the recent Whedon title. But there was a time that the X-Men was second only to the Legion (Titans running a distant third). And I jumped on during the Dark Phoenix story. Fell in love with Jean instantly only to see her killed. I think the first newsstand copy I bought was #136.

This news, like all recent X-news, just gets ignored when figuring out my monthly order.

#507107 09/11/07 01:39 PM
Active
Active
The X-Books were my number three "collecting area" when I started out with US-comics in 1994, tracked down most of the old stories and kept on buying it til before Morisson took over...

I always had the feeling that the books went downhill after Age of Apocalypse. That storyline, was full of great ideas, stunning art, and the whole story was really going somewhere, although missing a decent ending.

Afterwards, Onslaught was dull, with Zero Tolerance you did not even see eny longer where it started and where it ended and I can't remember one single decent storyline in those years. Magneto dies, Magneto lives, Magneto dies, and in between, Jean Grey dies and lives, oh my god. So I quit.

Astonishing was good - for six issues, the second story with the Danger Room becoming alive (HUH!!!???!!!) was so lame that I stopped buying that one as well.

I keep on buying some German X-Men digests, but mostly, I am dumbstruck how bad that stuff is. I really don't get why so many people keep buying it.

Recently, I got #200 - just to see what was going on - and the art was terrible (aside from the cover), the story hard to recognize and the current lineup a total disaster. So I'll pass for the "Major great brand-new direction big event hot shot crossover" of the year - seeing Bachalo and his colleagues drawing it, X-Factor will remain the only book I'm buying these days.

Even sold some of my X-stuff from the late 90s recently - that, me being a die-hard collector, is really a harsh judgment smile

#507108 09/11/07 09:09 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Scott, Craig, have either of you given X-Factor a chance? No matter how bad the other X-Books get, there's always X-Factor (for the moment, at least; it does bother me that Rahne is being moved over to X-Force -- I hope upon hope that before she leaves, the PTB allow Peter David to resolve that flash-forward she had where she kills Madrox and Layla.)

I hope Deadpool gets at least a new solo mini-series sometime in the not-too-distant future, if not a new solo ongoing. He's certainly got the fanbase for it (as long as Fabian Nicieza keeps writing him, of course.)

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#507109 09/12/07 10:02 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
One thing about the X-verse, there's always a heap of interesting characters *not* being used. Everytime I see Wolverine or Storm or Jean Grey, I think to myself, 'what about Nightcrawler? Or Cecilia Reyes? Or Unuscione?'

Meh. Edwards-Scissorhands-Force doesn't interest me in the slightest, and not because I don't like the characters, but because I *do* like some of the characters, and hate to see them teamed up with that hairy irascible midget.

I'd rather read the new adventures of Berzerker and Scaleface (despite both being dead, and utterly tertiary mutants who died in their first appearance) than another Wolverine story.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#507110 09/12/07 11:10 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Carey's X-MEN comic has been a good read. Since #200, he's really picked up the energy of the book. He's avoided the soap opera that was most of the 90's. That and X-Factor should be the two X-books you read. I look at Astonishing much like Legends of the Dark Knight- sort of an ancillary title that may or may not be relevant.

I'm not stoked about the new X-Force, more because of the Wolervines than the tone. Ah well...

Cable is probably going to be a good book. I like the character, and Mike is suppose to be taking on a solo X-character. He and Fabian are the only ones to really get him.

Just spouting off.
#507111 09/12/07 12:43 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
After Legion & Avengers there was X-men as a kid (and then Teen Titans). I also haven't cared much about X-Men since about? Fall of the Mutants.

I did like the recent stuff. Carey on X-men, Brubaker on Uncanny, and Whedon on Astonishing. But it looks like the magic died all at once. Marvel should have let each of those titles to branch out on their own.

They always do this. A writer seems to be taking a major X-title somewhere interesting and then there is a shake up. ugh. Everybody switches teams, etc. I think the actual rotating of team members hurts the titles. I want consistency. I want these people to stay on a team and become better friends, etc. Ohwell.

#507112 09/12/07 02:37 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
I think the actual rotating of team members hurts the titles. I want consistency. I want these people to stay on a team and become better friends, etc. Oh well.
I agree. There was great interaction between Storm and Cyclops/Jean/Kitty/Forge/Bishop/etc. And where is she now? Married to some dude she met once when she was six and hanging out with some other team she barely knows.

Wolverine, hardly my favorite character, has had great interactions with Colossus, Cyclops and Nightcrawler. Cyclops is dead again, Colossus is alive again, but spending all of his time in the sack with Kitty and Nightcrawler is off somewhere being a priest? Or perhaps a demon? Maybe a pirate? Come back next week when he changes gender and becomes Mutant X...

#507113 09/12/07 02:47 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Exactly Set. Keep the teams together. Sure add or subtract a member here or there but these big overhauls really kill me.

I blame the editors. smile

#507114 09/12/07 04:57 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I agree, that is one of the major problems killing the the legitimacy of so many X-books.

I also was enjoying Bru's Uncanny and Carey's X-men. X-Factor has been brillant, Whedon's Astonishing has been a let-down though the last issue suddenly had some great flashback panels at the end.

#507115 10/01/07 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
I blame the editors. smile
This thread and the above quote have been in the back of my mind for awhile. It can't be a coincidence that most of the X-Books started going south right after Axel Alonso became Group Editor of the X-Books.

The good news is that Peter David said recently that, yes, he'll still be writing X-Factor after Messiah CompleX is over, and, yes, it'll still be a detective agency.

#507116 10/18/07 06:28 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
The second issue of the X-Men/Starjammer miniseries is out. Don't let the unwieldly title, which I'm not going to search out here, put you off.

I'm enjoying this mini more than the 12 issue storyline in the main X-title from which it sprang. Characters like Ch'od and Polaris are getting more focus, though panel-hogs like Vulcan and Rachel are along, too.

To be frank, future solicits are jacking my interest in the title up a bit. They promise that Lorna Dane'll be *leading* and then *fighting* (guess the leading didn't go too well, huh?) the Imperial Guard. The most recent issue's last page showed members of the IG including Gladiator, Oracle, Nightside, that manta girl, and the Colossal Boy and Wildfire analogs, among others. So, it's a more 'old school' IG than recent versions we've seen. Which is a good thing, IMO.

The plot hinges on a details going back to the first Phoenix saga. Whether the creators' reach exceeds their grasp will be shown in the concluding issues of this mini.

#507117 10/18/07 09:42 PM
It's called X-Men: Emperor Vulcan. An off putting title, indeed.

But I'm still reading this, because it's space opera written by someone who is NOT Ed Brubaker (author of that aforementioned abysmal 12-part space opera) and who IS good at writing space opera -- his name's Christopher Yost; the name rings a bell, but I don't think I've read anything by him before.

I hope he'll treat the Imperial Guard with more respect than Brubaker, but that wouldn't be a challenge at all, so I'll rephrase that and say I hope he treats the Imperial Guard with respect and I hope Nightside doesn't end up spending the whole series in the background.

#507118 10/18/07 10:44 PM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
Originally posted by Stealth:
his name's Christopher Yost; the name rings a bell, but I don't think I've read anything by him before.
He worked on the X-Men: Evolution cartoon and he's half of the New X-Men writing team with Craig Kyle. (They also wrote a couple of X-23 mini-series together, probably because they created the character.)

#507119 10/18/07 11:04 PM
Thanks, Cali.

I've never seen X-Men: Evolution, because I'm not big on re-imagining the X-Men mythos (that's why I've neither seen the X-Men live-action movies nor read Ultimate X-Men.)

New X-Men intrigues me, but I hear that it's been mostly one death after another for a long time; did Kyle and Yost write any good stories before the killings started?

X-23 -- the concept is so...I can't even think of a word for it, but I'll browse through the trades or digests collecting those minis (I have heard some good things about them, which I admit surprised me.)

#507120 10/18/07 11:28 PM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
X-23 was created for the show as a way to tie Wolverine to the younger audience. I still don't quite know what I think of her as her entrance into the MU has been spotty. I haven't read either of her minis, though, so take that with a grain of salt. (I mean, before Kyle/Yost, the person writing her was Claremont. shudder And the stuff with NYX was... weird.)

Let's see. Their New X-Men run actually started with the deaths. (Because losing their powers wasn't bad enough, right?) It seems to have plateaued recently but I suppose only time will truly tell. I didn't hate the last arc, which was the reintroduction of Magik. Didn't love it, either. Just sorta.. meh.

I understand where you're coming from with the reimagining thing-- I know a lot of people feel that way. That said, I personally loved X-Men: Evolution. It's actually a large part of what pushed me further into comics. The X-Movies... eh. They are what they are. Do love Ultimate X-Men, too, though.

#507121 10/18/07 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Caliente:
before Kyle/Yost, the person writing her was Claremont. shudder
rotflmao

That sounds like it must have been so bad it was unintentionally funny.

#507122 10/19/07 12:28 AM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
If only, Stealth. If only... shake

#507123 10/19/07 12:38 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Stealth:
It's called X-Men: Emperor Vulcan. An off putting title, indeed.
Being an Imperial Guard fan ('cause they are Legion-esque), I skimmed over one of the earlier issues on the shelves and was turned off by Vulcan's demeanor and the portrayals of the Shi'ar.

He flies up to some Shi'ar ship, kills a few of them, and the rest grovel and beg, so he lets them continue to serve him, telling them that he's gonna use them to go take over their homeworld or some crap. They're all like, 'cool beans, just don't kill us!' and go right along with it.

I didn't have the stomach to read anymore of it, so for all I know it was some apalling psychotic wish-fulfillment dream he was having and it's actually a wonderful series.

This is Scott's what, fourth brother? Mommy Summers was a *machine* for pumping out mutants, each more powerful than the last! Her and momma Guthrie need to get together and compare stretch marks... No wonder the Marvel-verse was overwhelmed with mutants, they give birth to *litters!*

#507124 10/19/07 12:54 PM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
I think it's just Scott's second brother. He's the legendary "3rd Summers Brother" that was supposed to be Adam X aka X-Treme, except that they were using X-Treme in the title of one of the X-Books, so that was tossed out.

#507125 10/19/07 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Set:
Being an Imperial Guard fan ('cause they are Legion-esque), I skimmed over one of the earlier issues on the shelves and was turned off by Vulcan's demeanor and the portrayals of the Shi'ar.

He flies up to some Shi'ar ship, kills a few of them, and the rest grovel and beg, so he lets them continue to serve him, telling them that he's gonna use them to go take over their homeworld or some crap. They're all like, 'cool beans, just don't kill us!' and go right along with it.

I didn't have the stomach to read anymore of it, so for all I know it was some apalling psychotic wish-fulfillment dream he was having and it's actually a wonderful series.
I somehow made it through all 12 issues, so I must have a cast-iron stomach.

It wasn't a dream. And it wasn't a dream either that the Imperial Guard came out looking like weaklings with no sense of teamwork and cowardly fools who follow whoever's leading the Shi'ar this week.

When a talented writer like Ed Brubaker (I love his work on Captain America), is responsible for a travesty like that, it's clear that even good writers have their limitations.

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,948
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Timothy
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Eishuu
Eishuu
Canada
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star