Roll Call
1 members (Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad), 29 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:38 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:28 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 22 23
Re: Marvel's X-verse
#507176 11/30/08 05:42 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
X-MEN: SECRET INVASION #4 (or would that be SECRET INVASION: X-MEN?)-- Man, what a rip-off that cover is. Magma's front and center- but gets a panel or two exposure within-- with only a line like 'Yes, Sam'.

I was majorly disappointed. This was more or less a Beast/Cyclops story and as such, wasn't bad. Wasn't great, either.

Ah, well- I hope Sam and Amara get a permanent berth somewhere or other soon.

#507177 01/30/09 11:30 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I'm surprised there was no comment about X-Factor last week (#37?) A quite momentous occasion appeared in its pages-- one with unexpected developments that will, apparently, lead to even more unexpected developments.

Really, there was a scene that provoked quite a reaction as I read it- a reaction whose nature I still haven't really discerned.

As comic readers, we've all read the blurb 'and nothing will be the same ever again!!!' way too many times.

This time, I think such a blurb would be apt. And there's not an act of villainy, treachery or malice to be found.

#507178 02/02/09 11:13 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
The latest X-Factor met my worst fears and exceeded them. I'm always annoyed when female characters in comics get mysteriously knocked up (with Ms Marvel's pregnancy-by-Immortus being the one that bugs me most) as a plot point, and then something funky happens to the infant (because there will *NEVER* be a comic book character that actually gets to keep their infant child and raise it, barring Sue Richards, they have to get sent away and artificially aged or evolve into energy forms or something!).

Not only is it the standard 'pregnancy-that-goes-nowhere' (see Scott and Maddy's kid for details), but it contradicts previous Madrox lore, as he *often* touches dupes (say, to use them as a human pyramid to climb a wall, or to cushion his fall) without losing control of his powers.

Lame go-nowhere story that has to contradict continuity to go-nowhere. Lame, lame, lame. Why go through all of that buildup to not have a freaking story?

Poor Theresa. Alcoholic, emotional issues, denial, PTSD, tortured, seduced, knocked up and now bereaved. It's like the character has a sign on her back that says, 'kick the hell out of me, please.' It's like reading Avengers back in the days where every single bad thing in the universe happened to the Scarlet Witch, one issue right after the other...

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#507179 02/02/09 01:43 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Set: (snip)

... It's like reading Avengers back in the days where every single bad thing in the universe happened to the Scarlet Witch, one issue right after the other...

Where the hell is Gail Simone and her immortal treatise on refrigerators when they're needed most ?

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#507180 02/02/09 02:20 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Wow. I just read spoilers on the X-Factor issues. Wow. It sounds absolutely devastating! I've been in X-Factor limbo after the first three trades amid word of it floundering with Messiah CompleX, Larry Stroman, etc. Sounds like the title is back to doing what it does best: exploring the enigma that is Madrox. I've gotta hunt down 39 and see how this plays out!

(I can hardly believe our resident self-described "X-Factor Cheerleader" Stealth hasn't weighed in yet.)

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#507181 02/02/09 05:21 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Buy the fourth X-Factor trade, Lardy (if it's come out yet, that is). It's the last time the book was really good.

I stopped being an X-Factor Cheerleader around the time of the Secret Invasion, and then dropped the book after the first post-SI issue when it proved just as subpar as the crossover issues. But the rot was already setting in a couple issues after Messiah CompleX. I don't blame crossovers, though, I blame Axel Alonso; it can't be a coincidence that Andy Schmidt quit Marvel shortly after Alonso became the X-Books' group editor.

Re: the current issue, I'll see on Wednesday if my comic shop has any issues left, and I'll read it in the shop. As much as the last few issues that I read let me down, I'd still like to give Peter David the benefit of the doubt.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#507182 02/02/09 06:34 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
i flipped through it and put it back, and i usually get xfactor. yeah the story dosn't make sense.

i would also like to rant on a tanget: speaking of butchered woman.

i was really upset with the avengers issue commemorating the wasp, and the story they told was the one where hank slaps her????? livid. not the frickin masters of evil story where she assembled a new team to take back the mansion or took down titania and absorbing man with the ant man???? im sure there are tons of glorious stories of the wasp that they could've told.

#507183 02/02/09 08:25 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'll keep buying X-Factor for awhile longer and see how it goes (and I've somehow managed to avoid spoilers).

But is anyone buying Warren Ellis' Astonishing X-Men. Man, it SUCKS.

Really: pretty SUCKtacular. Don't know why I even bothered.

#507184 02/02/09 08:51 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Yeah, I was not 100% in love with Whedon's run (although he had his moments of genius), but dayum, has Astonishing gone downhill on a bobsled full of hopped-up Jamaicans, or what?

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#507185 02/03/09 09:42 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I've avoided mention of X-Factor #39 at PAD's request. It would be tough to mention anything in the issue since it's all about the pregnancy. It's an unexpected move, and sure to provide drama in the book.

The art is much better than Stroman's work.

Just spouting off.
#507186 02/03/09 09:43 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I'll keep buying X-Factor for awhile longer and see how it goes (and I've somehow managed to avoid spoilers).

But is anyone buying Warren Ellis' Astonishing X-Men. Man, it SUCKS.

Really: pretty SUCKtacular. Don't know why I even bothered.
CBR has an interview with Nick Lowe posted. He's asked a question about the Ghost Box story from Warren Ellis. It's not a satisfying answer.

Just spouting off.
#507187 02/04/09 07:25 PM
I, too, shall respect Peter David's wishes and not spoil anything.

I will say that I read the issue and I liked it. Liked it so much I bought it. I think PAD deals with delicate subject matter with the sensitivity that he shows when he's making one hundred percent effort. Comparisons to Michelinie's Ms. Marvel rape fantasy and Byrne's torture of the Scarlet Witch and Shooter's victimization of the Wasp are all way off-base IMO.

Cleome, did you actually READ the comic before you tagged it as a women-in-refrigerators offender? In case you don't know, I'm a woman like you, and I wasn't offended in the least.

As cliche as it sounds, bad things do happen to good people, whether they be women or men or anything in between. A former hairdresser of mine is a wonderful kind-hearted person, and she's had an undeserved run of bad luck over the last several years. And if a writer has bad things happen to a fictional character, it's not necessarily done in a mean-spirited fashion or as a lazy hack's last resort. PAD is bigger than that and better than that. In my opinion.

I'm not ready to put the book back on my pull list yet, but I'm eager to see if the next issue keeps up this level of quality.

#507188 02/04/09 07:27 PM
Actually, Stealth, I was referring to all the-- er, poop that came down on the Scarlet Witch, back in the day. Those I did try to read, but ended up putting them back on the shelf in disgust.

Sorry. Shoulda' made that clearer.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#507189 02/04/09 07:29 PM
Okay. Thanks for explaining, Cleome.

And, Lardy, thank you for bringing this issue to my attention.

#507190 02/04/09 10:29 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
No prob, Stealth.

Damn! This issue has sold out completely thru Diamond, so I won't be able to get it unless there's a second printing (or I get it online thru a back issue dealer). It's weird (and kinda nice, really!) that a story with no significance beyond the book itself would sell out so quickly!

#507191 02/04/09 11:35 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Lardy, I can grab a copy if you'd like, send it your way.

Just spouting off.
#507192 02/04/09 11:45 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I wouldn't want you to go through a lot of trouble, Ceej. It's tempting, though!

#507193 02/05/09 02:14 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Marvel's debuting a new anthology title called ASTONISHING TALES-- there's a future Iron Man story, a current IM tale and the one I bought the issue for-- a Cannonball/Sunspot story that has the pair first vacationing in Roberto's Brazilian luxury, then snatched up to become movie-makers for Mojo!

The tone is light and fun-- they stay (for awhile, anyway) in the Mojoverse voluntarily with no apparent threat ahead.

I'm eager to see what kind of entertainment they devise before the inevitable you-know-what hits the fan.

#507194 02/26/09 11:13 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
X-FORCE 12: Wow. The Wolf-Prince from the New Mutants-in-Asgard story. Now, *that's* a surprise. For me, a welcome one.

Y'know-- I'd be ok with Rahne running off with him and disappearing from X-Men comics for awhile.

The villains are absoultely amok- perhaps justifying Cyclops strategem with this team. Still hard to take Leper Queen seriously, though.

I like the energy in the art- it looks computer-aided, which I don't necessarily mind. Compelling.

#507195 03/14/09 06:46 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
ASTONISHING TALES #2-- I'm really only reading the Cannonball/Sunspot installments. The one in this issue was a little forced, as our heroes make their bargain with the devil via a series of kind of lame pop culture 'challenges'.

I like the cover art.

#507196 04/11/09 02:19 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
EXILES #1-- *A* Timebroker's back in the book again, along with a bit of mystery about why these characters are chosen and what the general set-up is going to be.

I didn't read the Claremont issues of the preceding volume, so I don't know if the basics of the purpose of Exiles was changed, but it seems intact here.

So, it's down to characters-- Blink (the same Blink from V.1), a Beast, a Panther (I notice he's never called 'Black' Panther, so I'm guessing he's of a different race than the regular T'Challa's), a Forge (much angstier than 'ours'), a Scarlet Witch and a Polaris.

All were plucked from their worlds an instant before their deaths.

I like the line-up, and I enjoyed some of the Exiles adventures. Admittedly, the shift from world to world can get repetitive. Unless the creators have an imaginative arsenal already in their collective head.

#507197 04/11/09 06:08 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Neither of the "colour-adjective" characters had were "coloured" if you look - it was just "the Witch" and "the Panther".

And, yeah, good first issue.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#507198 04/12/09 05:18 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
You're right... the EXILES Wanda isn't calling herself 'Scarlet', though she is wearing the familiar color. The Scarlet was never anything but an adjective and costume choice for her, though. Unlike T'Challa.

#507199 04/15/09 09:49 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
UNCANNY X-MEN #208-- Fans of late eighties and the ninetes minor supervillainesses will want to at least leaf through this title at their cbs.

I hope an explanation as to how these ladies got together is forthcoming, as that's a plot-point I can't quite wrap my head around.

To be fair, that's pretty much the standard m.o. for super-villain groups, though. I've never understood why it's so 'important' for a superhero team to have some overarcing purpose, other than fighting bad guys. Nobody seems to care why the *villains* join some brotherhood (here, sisterhood) or society or or league.

I don't even recognize a couple of them, except by name. One character, in particular, gets a redesign that is as wrong-headed as they come. If a distinctive look *has* to be replaced, it should be by a look that's just as distinctive. Here, it's just the opposite. Sprial always brought a certain energy (and I don't mean her powers) with her when she appeared in a story. I don't sense that here at all.

Why are they doing what they're doing? What possible gain could *they* get from the happenings at issue's end? I'm left scratching my head.

I kind of like the 'mad scientists' subplot-- though the amount of space they get here is really all I want to see them get, until they reach a climactic plotpoint.

I *definitely* like the offer of membership to the character who joins here. <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Northstar</span></span> is one of my favorites and I look forward to this character's inclusion in the future.

I'm glad a certain plotpoint from a few years ago concerning this character and the X-Man who seeks him out to offer him membership isn't forgotten. I don't particularly want to see it brought up again and again, though.

Aside from a new member, the most interesting thing going on, really, is that creepy little slave-boy, Empath, and his submission to the Red Queen. That and the inexplicable goings-on at the end of the issue. <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">another body-swap or something with Kwannon and Psylock, I think. I'm not really sure.</span></span> And an-- interesting-- look at MU Tokyo. I think I liked the bit with Domino in the 'electric city'. It was a distinct setting, anyway, which I appreciate.

#507200 04/15/09 09:59 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
X-FACTOR #42-- Oh, joy. Another future. Please don't let this be an extended journey for Jamie.

Siryn as boss was fun. More Rictor! Let Valerie Cooper go bother some dark group or other- she bores me.

I wonder what brunette chick would've named Longshot?

I really enjoyed this issue, up until the end. It was telegraphed a mile away, in retrospect. An almost thoroughly Magneto-ized Scott Summers. Oy.

Page 4 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,961
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Pariscub
Pariscub
Edinburgh, Scotland
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star