Roll Call
1 members (Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester), 45 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/27/24 08:36 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:38 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 23 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 22 23
Re: Marvel's X-verse
#507226 08/07/09 05:40 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Yeah, the cowboy hat is kind of silly. Especially indoors.

Btw, Hela is apparently in <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Vegas.</span></span>

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#507227 08/09/09 01:32 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I caught up on Uncanny X-Men and I have to say I agree with Reboot in that this book is the very definition of 'mediocre'. There isn't anything wrong with it per se, there just doesn't seem to be anything all that impressive about it.

The Dark X-Men thing is just another thing for me to sigh at / yawn at.

And Fraction really seems to write Cyclops in a way that makes him seem like a buffoon and pretty inefficient leader, with Emma Frost playing him all the time. I can't stand that.

The Beast's group of scientists is cool and I find them interesting but its almost like I'd like to see that in its own miniseries. There are just so many characters here and almost none of them do anything other than show up for a few panels just to be seen and have a line of dialogue.

And Fraction's trying to hard to be cute and witty. Its coming off forced.

#507228 08/09/09 03:43 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Well, Beast's going to be in the new SWORD series .

[The Chicago X-panel is here, but mostly X-Force stuff: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22472 ]

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#507229 08/09/09 05:41 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Okay, something else - an article on Dark X-Men that CBR put up and pulled down very quickly. It's still in the whatever-microsoft-are-calling-their-search-engine-today cache:

CCC09: Cornell, Kirk, and Lowe Talk “Dark X-Men”

Image: http://www.comicbookresources.com/prev_img.php?disp=img&pid=1249775066

Given their evolved nature it's no surprise that change is a constant in the mutant community of the Marvel Universe. Not everyone is a fan of change though. Norman Osborn especially has a reason to fear any changes in the mutant community, because it could threaten his carefully constructed Dark Reign over the Marvel U. This November, Osborn dispatches special team to take care one of these mutant problems in the five issue “Dark X-Men” mini-series by writer Paul Cornell and artist Leonard Kirk. CBR News spoke with the creators and their Editor Nick Lowe about the project, which was announced Sunday at Marvel's X-Men panel at the Wizard World Chicago Convention.

The seeds for “Dark X-Men” were actually planted on another Cornell, Kirk, and Lowe collaboration, “Captain Britain and MI13.” “I was taken with Paul's depiction of Dracula in that series. I loved the menacing intelligence. And just generally loved working with Paul,” Nick Lowe told CBR News. “So when the Dark X-Men came about in 'Utopia' and we knew we wanted to do a miniseries centered on them afterwords, Paul jumped out as the obvious choice. His villains are unique, so with a book mainly about villains, it just seemed right. And he slipped me $20.”

As Lowe mentioned, Norman Osborn's team of Dark X-Men made their debut in “Utopia”, the currently unfolding crossover between “Dark Avengers” and “Uncanny X-Men”. The “Dark X-Men” mini-series takes place after the “Exodus” special that brings the crossover to a close. “It's a few weeks after the fact and the world is definitely shaken up,” Lowe hinted.

When “Dark X-Men” begins the title characters are supposed to be a stable team that functions well together. “At least that's what Osborn has sold. They're supposed to be able to handle this. But they're really just playing amongst the ruins, and inside they know it,” Paul Cornell remarked. “They're meant to be the go to people for mutant problems in Osborn's world, and like so many times when a dictator decides he knows the right people to do a job, he's a long way off the mark.”

Cornell had a lot of fun examining and playing with several of Osborn's Dark X-Men in the “Dark X-Men: The Beginning” mini-series, so the writer is enjoying the chance to once again probe the title characters' psyches and examine how they relate to one another. “I always enjoy team books, because I always enjoy the way team members interact. And all of the members here have big back stories and are characters that make for interesting interactions,” the writer explained. “I'd tell you about who's in it, but I don't want to spoil the end of Utopia!”

There was one “Dark X-Men” character that Cornell could talk about in some detail though. He's not a team member, he's a target. His name is Nate Grey AKA X-Man. The son of an alternate reality's Jean Grey and Cyclops, Grey first appeared in the 90's X-Men storyline “The Age of Apocalypse.” At the close of that storyline he found himself in the mainstream Marvel Universe where he put his vast mutant powers to work as a hero. During one of those exploits it looked like Nate sacrificed his life to save the world from alien invasion and “Dark X-Men” marks his return to the Marvel Universe.

“He's near omnipotent, the mutant shaman, and he's terrifying to my cast of characters,” Cornell said. “That’s because he's exactly what they don't want in play right now: a very powerful, charismatic, alternative leader of mutant affairs. And a Summers, to boot. X-Man is dreaming his way back into the world, the deadliest possible hero.”

Unfortunately for the cast of “Dark X-Men” they’ll have no choice but to confront Nate Grey because he quickly becomes part of an important mission that Osborn tasks them with. “The story is called ‘Journey to the Centre of the Goblin’, and, though it won't become clear until towards the end, that's exactly what it becomes about, getting inside Norman Osborn's head,” Cornell revealed. “On the way, we encounter the world haunted by Nate, the cult that S.H.I.E.L.D. became, and the twisted psyches of our four leads, which skew the story in ways that might surprise you.”

While S.H.I.E.L.D., the intelligence agency used technology and highly trained agents to police the world, the cult that S.H.I.ELD. has become operates in a more sinister manner. “They have a design sense and a vague ethic and limited depth perception and a horrifying group mind,” Cornell hinted.

Since “Dark X-Men” features a cast of twisted protagonists, a cult, and a mind-bending powerful mutant like X-Man, readers probably expect the series to go to some dark and ugly places. It does, but that doesn’t mean the ride to those places won’t be enjoyable. “It's sickening fun that has more impact on how the world views the X-Men than you'd hope, when you know who's left on the team. There's fun humor, and then there's darker humor, and then there are, I think, some sinews you'll find yourself treading on,” Cornell explained. “It's the sort of dark comedy that happens when people who really aren't by nature heroes try to be. And find themselves killing people even when they don't mean to.”

Cornell couldn’t be happier to have his frequent collaborator Leonard Kirk bringing to life all the twisted, chilling romp that is “Dark X-Men.” “It's great to still be working with Leonard. By this point, we know each other's game very well, and I can write while visualizing what he's going to give me,” the writer remarked. “Although he always surpasses my expectations.”

Leonard Kirk is just as pleased to be working with Cornell again. “Paul is terrific! He’s a witty, clever writer with a great eye for detail. Also, a little known secret, Paul Cornell has the second largest collection of Gregorian chant recordings in the western hemisphere. The first largest, of course, belonging to Charlton Percy of North Dakota, recently deceased,” the artist said. “I have said before and will say again that I love how open Paul is in this work. He is receptive to ideas and treats the writer/artist relationship as a true collaboration. And his personal hygiene is beyond reproach.”

The chance to work with Cornell was one of the reasons Kirk took the “Dark X-Men” assignment. The other was the characters involved. “I really look forward to drawing characters like Dark Beast.” he said. “He’s always been one of my favorites. I’m not sure if this is because of his powers or if I just have a thing for the color blue.”

Kirk couldn’t reveal much about the other characters he’ll be drawing in the mini-series but he is currently brainstorming possible looks for X-Man. “I haven’t drawn his grand entrance, yet but I suppose his look will be closer to his more recent appearance with the tattoo on his chest but there might be a few tweaks to his design. I’d rather not mess too much with it though. As much as I enjoy designing and redesigning characters, I prefer not to do it if it isn’t really necessary.”

The style Kirk is employing for “Dark X-Men” will resemble the “Namor/Norman” short story he and Cornell did for “Dark X-Men: The Beginning” #1. “I’ve considered tweaking it a little but I doubt that I will change it too much,” Kirk stated. “I like the results with Jay Leisten’s inks.”

Kirk is still in the early stages of his work on “Dark X-Men” but he can’t wait to see how the series develops. “There is a lot of fun stuff to draw in the first issue, which you can usually take to mean, ‘Lots o’ stuff blowin’ up!’", the artist said. “And I can’t wait to read the next script.”

“Dark X-Men” is a series that will take readers on a journey with one of the Marvel Universe’s more unique and unhinged teams but it will also offer some interesting insight into the man and the environment responsible for bringing together such a team. “There's going to be some serious stuff in here about what institutions have become like in the wake of Osborn's administration,” Paul Cornell said. “I like to think we're this big awkward lens that's looking into the middle of what Osborn's done to the Marvel universe, and not really liking what we see.”

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

#507230 08/09/09 06:38 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Interesting. I wonder why they pulled it?

Still, I'll only be getting it if Daken's in it. I saw the cover for it at CBR, every character but Dark Beast and Mimic have been erased. If Daken is in it, I hope they do a better job than Faction is. (And that they remember he's not as short as Logan.)

#507231 08/09/09 07:29 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Reboot:
Well, Beast's going to be in the new SWORD series .

[The Chicago X-panel is here, but mostly X-Force stuff: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22472 ]
Wow, that actually looks fantastic. Sword is probably the best single thing to come out of Whedon's entire work with Marvel, and I've been wanting Beast to spin away from the X-Men again for some time. This could be great and its something I'll definitely try-out.

As for Dark X-Men, I'll only be getting it if I hear its utterly fantastic and I'm totally missing out. Other than hearing that from several people, I'm not really interested yet.

#507232 08/09/09 07:48 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Arachne:
Interesting. I wonder why they pulled it?
My guess? They probably want to run it midweek - they were still running SDCC stuff yesterday - and it'll turn up with minor or no changes.

Originally posted by Arachne:
Still, I'll only be getting it if Daken's in it.
I'm sure there are voluntary organisations to help rehabilitate people with that sort of problem smile . The treatment involves a load of Wolverine: Origins TPBs, I believe.

#507233 08/09/09 07:53 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Uh-uh, not touching them. What I've heard about them isn't good. I have a feeling Dark Wolverine is only good because Marjorie Liu is co-writing.

#507234 08/09/09 08:04 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Looks like Marvel wanted to get the news on their own site first. Marvel Article

#507235 08/27/09 11:02 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
DARK X-MEN UTOPIA THE BEGINNING #3 (Lord, I wish they'd pick one title for these things) featured a scene that lots of readers have been wanting to read.

Norman Osborn gets his butt handed him to as he tries to strongarm a mutant into joining his little fauX-Men. Said mutant? None other than Jeanne-Marie Beaubier.

She's apparently further fractured than I ever knew, though it's possible this aspect to her has been told elsewhere. I never *quite* liked her as much as her brother, though I do like it when she pops up.

The other two stories feature an extended bit of foreplay between Namor and Emma and Norman and Mystique on a date in a biker bar... with a quietly arresting, character-revealing cover.

#507236 01/10/10 11:47 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
First off, I guess the thread title should be changed for this thread? Updated to 2010? I know I like to use this thread to discuss Uncanny X-Men, X-Men Legacy and Astonishing X-Men (New Mutants and X-Factor in another thread and I don't collect X-Force).

So, I've caught up with X-Men Legacy with the latest two issues (#230-231). This has been a very difficult title for me to get into since it became "Legacy" which is too bad. I like a lot of what Carey does (Unwritten is brillant) and Rogue is in my top three favorite X-Men. Yet this title seemed to bore me to tears for awhile now. #230 doesn't really change that, and Daniel Arcuna's art doesn't help--I find him really flat. However, #231 I felt was the first noticable issue in a long time that felt like an improvement. It had intrigue/suspense, several different X-Men working together (and a line-up that interests me) and some great art by Clay Mann and Danny Miki, neither of whom I recognize. It was a definite step in the right direction.

The major problem with Legacy is the same as shared with the rest of the main X-titles: it doesn't really feel to be going anywhere. So much of it seems to running through the motions, and I ultimately feel like we'll be right back where we started eventually, complete with a mansion and Xiavier in a wheelchair leading them, and everything in between is boring and irrelevant. None of the writing in any of the titles has helped me to improve that point of view.

Another problem is the total lack of any real line-up. At first it seemed like it could work--tons of different mutants that could potentially help out in any issue, but the execution as been such that it feels like the X-titles are a general mess with no direction and everyone just running around.

I have dropped Astonishing X-Men completely, feeling its the weakest of all three. Uncanny X-Men is at the very bottom of my reading pile as a mediocre piece of work. And Legacy was bordering on being dropped but the latest issue has given it a reprieve. The X-titles are probably the weakest they've been in a long, long time--since the Australian outback even. Even the late 90's "Search for Xiavier" debacle wasn't this damn boring.

I'm not following Necrosha (and don't collect X-Force) so it was all a little confusing here. Not much in the way of explanation which is an editorial blunder. I certainly don't have the patience or interest to go online and find out for myself all the minutae of the event.

I'd love it if Rogue and some others (even Xiavier himself) formed a strait-forward line-up and struck out on their own. Of course, they'd need to have a real reason to (that doesn't seem forced like in the past) and the execution would need to be good.

#507237 01/10/10 01:52 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I've dropped all the X-Men proper books.

Astonishing has never worked well for me. Warren Ellis usually guarantees success, but not here on this title. And Bianchi's art, while nice to look at, doesn't tell a story to me. I know he's suppose to get a replacement, but that doesn't excite me enough to grab it again.

Uncanny was okay, but I'm tired of Scott and Emma and Beast. Sure, there's a mix of other mutants as the story allows, but they come and go, used and set aside for our regulars to get more air time. Folks have been reveling in Scott's new command role, but he's as flat as ever. The rotating artists work well, even with the usual comments about Greg Land's stuff. Again tho, nothing to excite me.

Legacy has so much potential, and yet it's never delivering for me. Carey has it mired in navel gazing. I do like Rogue's turn as the focus, and her recent control over her powers has been a long time coming. But there's no story here, just more of her wondering and pondering and wanting... Acuna's art was enough to make me drop the book. That and the plodding story of Bling! and Emplate.

Just spouting off.
#507238 01/10/10 09:56 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Acuna's off the book. I just added Legacy to my pull list, but I haven't got any issues yet. I miss Rogue.

Uncanny's dull these days. I've never cared about Scott and Emma's been out of character for ages. Still, I'm going to stick with it till after Second Coming which is starting soon. I read New Mutants, X-Force, X-Factor and, like I said, Legacy now. Might as well stick with Uncanny through the crossover.

#507239 01/17/10 11:23 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Nation X #2: This is one of those compilation type issues featuring characters that don't get a lot of spotlight, usually grouped with a story starring a character who does. Here, it's Jubilee, Martha Johansson, Northstar and Gambit.

I face a basic conflict whenever I read one of these anthology type issues. In their favor, there are characters that I enjoy reading about who seldom receive storylines of their own in their home books and I do like seeing them get their shot. Also, writers and artists often get their start in short stories like these and it's fun to get a taste of new talent. Sometimes a character I never cared about in the least gets featured in a compilation and something about the story 'speaks' to me, and I begin to see them in a new way. Greymalkin comes to mind, as an example. Though I much prefer longer stories, the longer the better, there have been some real little gems here and there in similar anthologies.

On the other hand, it can take some digging to get to those gems. Crafting a short story is a real art of its own, and not all writers or artists are adept at it. Often, they're inconsequential or too obviously gimmicky. Characters can appear different than in other of their appearances, in a jarring way. An unappreciated favorite's shot at the spotlight can disappoint when their story falls flat.

Here, there's a gem- I think. The Martha Johansson story was really quite entertaining, with a sense of tightening pace and real stakes. She's perhaps the single most 'alien' mutant among the X-characters, yet her character comes across as warm and accessible. I think she's a Grant Morrison creation, but I wouldn't swear to that. In any case, I hope the thoughts she makes at issue's end, after thwarting Quentin Quire's plot, are followed up upon.

I suppose Legion fans would be somewhat predisposed to liking a brain-in-a-jar as a superheroine...

I was disappointed in Northstar's story... and it was the one that prompted me to buy this issue. He's one of my favorite Marvel heroes and I appreciate that this was a clear, direct story about his relationship with another man. Northstar didn't 'sound' like himself here. I was surprised that his sister has a job that requires an assistant, given some of what she's been through. Having JP date that assistant makes me a tad uncomfortable. He's likeable enough. I wanted to like this more than I did- the art is cartoony, which is fine, but combined with a Northstar that didn't seem like Northstar, I thought it turned out to be inconsequential.

The Jubilee and Gambit stories were OK, but I don't really remember enough about either of them to provoke a response. I liked the art of Mike Choi and Sonia Oback on the Jubilee tale. Does Gambit still have his 'Gas Girl' powers? I find those a thousand times more interesting than exploding cards. Which means they'll never be explored more than the so-obvious and unimaginative fart jokes. Which have always marginalised the Lallorian heroine, too. Sigh.

#507240 01/17/10 11:39 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
DARK X-MEN #3: I enjoyed this issue, somewhat in spite of myself. I hadn't missed X-man (mostly because of that name) and his somewhat puzzling schtick of 'mutant shaman'. But here, I found him engaging and eminently 'watchable'. I liked his interactions with Mimic and Ares. The fight scene was fun and somewhat unpredictable.

Though I'm sort of bored with Mystique, she's used to great effect here.

The end of the issue features a jawdropper of a revelation (at least my jaw dropped) that I sort of wish could've been spread out over a few issues, it's impact was that strong.

#507241 01/17/10 04:13 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I don't suppose you'd care to spoil it? smile

#507242 01/17/10 05:09 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> At the end of the fight, it seems X-Man has disappeared or been killed or something. In the last scene, Mystique confronts Osborn in his office, ending her dialogue with the word "Nate", as we see that Nate is impersonating Osborn. </span></span>

No idea how that'll fit into the other 'dark' titles as they approach their ends. Hopefully, it'll have ramifications in titles other than this one, but who knows?

#507243 01/17/10 06:54 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I don't really see how that could fit in with the Avengers titles.

#507244 01/17/10 06:57 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It'd be funny if it did though. Talk about breaking all the rules of storytelling if that was the case.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#507245 01/17/10 07:53 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Hmm, the fur would certainly fly.

#507246 01/23/10 11:46 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Having just read Uncanny X-Men #519, I see my impressions were similar to what a lot of other people have been saying. The comic is just incredibly dull and mediocre these days and I can't figure out why I'm even bothering anymore. It might time to take a break from it.

I can't help but find Cyclops and Emma to be just be incredibly annoying. They chew up the scenery in every issue. Added to that, Beast has become such a whining annoyance as well. All three need a serious breather.

Meanwhile, the book is so over-crowded with secondary characters that no one ever gets a chance to shine. Namor and Magneto are adding nothing here and every time I see them I wish they were elsewhere.

Something else else is really wrong with the X-universe these days and Uncanny is the epicenter of it. If it keeps up I might as well just wait until Prof X is back in the wheelchair and they're all back at the Mansion--because lets face it, that's happening--and start reading again then.

Out of my entire Comic Book Review Month this was probably the comic I enjoyed the least because it felt like I wasted my time.

#507247 02/03/10 09:15 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Am I the only one reading Dark Wolverine?

Daken is such an evil bastard. I just love seeing what he's going to try next. And the way he plays with peoples homophobia his hilarious. I hope they do reform him a little. I think it's going to be hard to continue writing solo adventures for him if he doesn't. That said Marjorie Liu is doing a great job with him at the moment.

Right now he's in Asgard with the Dark Avengers, but it looks like his storyline is going to pull away from the rest. The Norns are taking an interest in him and showing him what might be.

#507248 02/19/10 08:04 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
UNCANNY 521: If only all of the current creative team's efforts read like this one. Villains that sweemed thoroughly forgettable at best, now seem much more substantive and story-generative.

I'm by no means a Fantomex fan, but I did enjoy his part in the story (and E.v.a.'s). Even better are the potential developments surrounding Magneto and his little 'man on the mountaintop' interlude.

#507249 02/26/10 12:25 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
X-Legacy #233 featured the end of the return of Proteus, which really should've been a bigger deal, and a lot of possessed people doing the kinds of things possessed people do.

Of note were two scenes concluding the issue. The first consisted of two conversations between Destiny and Rogue and then between Destiny and Blindfold. Then, Destiny walks off to die, she says anyway. I hope not.

This was good, strong writing which left me wanting more.

The other scene was between Rogue and Magneto and it referenced a long-ago romance between the two. Magneto, at least, wants to stoke the old embers. Rogue looks- what? Intrigued? Surprised? Horrified? Her expression is enigmatic. Nothing like good old-fashioned soap opera in spandex.

I say that with affection, with no sarcasm attached. Really. Sincerely.

#507250 02/26/10 12:29 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
X-Force #24-- OK- somehow I missed an issue, so once I get that I'll address things more fully- but I'll just get in now that the Thunderbird/Warpath scene was effective. Somewhat following a familiar path, but effective, nonetheless. If only I could've seen it, as well as read it.

This is a dark book- I get that. And I like a lot of Crain's art and colors. But sometimes, I want to see what's going on!

Page 6 of 23 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,962
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Nick Vinson
Nick Vinson
Texas
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star