Roll Call
0 members (), 36 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 23 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 22 23
Re: Marvel's X-verse
#507326 05/01/11 12:24 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I enjoyed it as well, No Emma Frost, and Professor X got to be Professor X again.

The New Mutants made up for lack of panel time with kick nassery. Dani and Sam got a lot of good lines.

Cyclops was demoted, Wolvie was declawed and yeah ... no Emma Frost. Even Storm and Namor were second string.

The art was good but didn't compare to the Olivier Coipel character designs being tossed around for promotion.

yeah i really enjoyed it, best X book of the past few months.

#507327 05/10/11 06:11 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm currently reading Wolverine for maybe the first time ever. As well as Wolverine Jubilee.

anyway, Wolverine has Daniel Acuna on art, and lots and lots of X-Men in it as well.

I think Acuna should do Dark Wolverine.

#507328 05/11/11 07:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I have been waiting FOREVER to bring X-Man back. He's the one Marvel character I've gotten interested in that I haven't really done anything about yet.

#507329 05/17/11 02:52 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Alright everyone, I would like to know your favorite X-Men titles of the stories. I am working on something that requires references.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
#507330 05/17/11 04:17 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
big story arcs like "Fall of the Mutants ... Here Comes Tomorrow, Days of Future Past, Mutant Massacre, Dark Phoenix Saga " or the story titles from single issues?

cause that may take more time.

#507331 05/17/11 04:45 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
also ... in the new movie X-Men First Class, Moira Mactaggert, played by the great Rose Byrne of Damages and Bridesmaids fame .... will NOT have a scottish accent.

bummer. furthermore it appears she's some kind of CIA liason rather than a leading geneticist.

bummer number 2.

the good news is she's on the side of the muties still ... and she's signed on for a trilogy.

#507332 05/19/11 12:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I loved this month's issue of Generation Hope and the twist ending to the conflict.

#507333 06/05/11 10:05 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Catching up on Uncanny X-Force, I'm reminded again by how damn good this comic book is. Not only is it far better than all the other X-offerings, it may just be Marvel's best comic. I wish the other main 3 X-comics were cancelled and this was just the regular X-Men book.

Remender does a fantastic job writing each issue and the series has a purpose, felt every issue, much like the X-Men comics if the franchises Golden Age. Billy Tan is proving to be one of the best artists in the busines and colorist Dean White adds an incredible level of mood and atmosphere.

This is probably the best "team" comic in comics.

#507334 08/18/11 07:01 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I got two X-Books this week.

Uncanny X-Men #542 ... (which will soon be renumbered ... at 1 all over again ... frown )

by Gillen and Land. I'm a big fan of Land's work ... despite the criticisms. It's always just glossy shiny goodness.

so ... Juggernaut get's one of the hammers from the current FEAR ITSELF cross title storyline ... making him even more unstoppable.

and the issue is structured quite well with ... many of the x-men trying out their individual tricks to stop him, it gets funny (to me) after a while ... while a few of the other x-men come up with a better strategy.

The end will leave us with some possibly permanent consequences for the Juggernaut <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">as Illyana and Colossus go bargain with Cyttorak to steal the Juggernaut's power. Cytorrak is the demon from the gem which gave Jugg's his unstoppable power. Colossus becomes the new juggernaut. But Juggs, I assume, will only be at half his over the top power because He will still have a hammer of Asgardian power. Next Issue expect some unstoppable Colossus versus Juggernaut Thor action. </span></span>

Also, The phoenix force appears to Emma in a dream <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">strongly hinting that hope is jean reborn ... emma appears to want to smother Hope ... which seems pretty sensational and juvenile for the character and on the writer's part. unless ..... Emma Frost is a murderuous villain ... who has been leading the x-men all this time. which wouldn't be too far fetched considering the X-Men of late. wink </span></span>

There's a few more small bits in there ... more tension between the humans and mutants ... Cyclops gets to act ruthless and show how badnass he is ... <yawn>

The books seems to be going with this James Bond slick sixties style from the recent movie ... which I don't mind.

Next Up:

X-Men Schism 3 of 5

The highlight for me is Acuna's art, which I would liken to a dark sexy Allred.

It's also got the sixties spy thriller style.

The premise sounds ridiculous ... a pre-teen Hellfire Club tries to take down the X-Men at the opening of a Mutant Museum in San Francisco.

One funny bit, Which I'm not sure if it's on purpose or not, is that:

Emma Frost, Magneto, and Namor are three of the five mutants that attend the museum opening LOL!!

Overall, It's allright, Namor gets some dark humor lines like <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">'I've hit children before' LOL as he faces the child Hellfire Club. </span></span>

I suppose what is meant to be the best writing bit is <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">After the Hellfire Club defeats the X-Men, one of the younger recruits is forced to fight, and she kills a dozen Hellfire men, while saving a hundred innocents ..... That's supposed to be character developement? <--- kind sounds like it sucks to me</span></span>

Those that like to see Cyclops and Wolverine argue won't be disappointed here!!

Looks like next issue is Master Mold, and if you aren't following X-Men Schism .... many countries have decided to employ sentinels for protection against mutants.

Overall these two are about the art, for me, I'd give them both about 2.5 stars.

Too much melodrama and everyone's SOOOO conflicted <rolls eyes> ...... but, there's action, and pretty pictures.

#507335 08/24/11 10:03 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper

#507336 09/09/11 05:42 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
New lineups [Yes, Psylocke is on both sides]. Also, Havok & Polaris are back in PAD's X-Factor:

[Linked Image from somebodydptest.files.wordpress.com]
[Linked Image from somebodydptest.files.wordpress.com]

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#507337 09/19/11 12:19 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Three X Books Three Quick Reviews

DAKEN DARK WOLVERINE #14

It's confusing and a mess. Daken's going through some drug induced stuff, he fights Moon Knight who pretends to be his father to throw him off, the art is not as lovely as the usual artist .. Daken looks like Sweeny Todd ...I really hope this gets back on track next issue with the manipulative and cunning sexy and well drawn Daken otherwise this won't be in my purchase pile. I forgot to flip through this issue to check the art when I bought it.

UNCANNY X-FORCE #15

I actually had to read the incredibly long 'what happened last time' page. I think this Angel becomes Apocalypse story line has gone on a little bit long ... especially since the 'bad' guys get way too much airtime compared to our the X-Force 'charming bad guys doing bad things for the good side' ... but it actually picked up and the ending of this issue hooked me back in for issue #16. Wolverine has taken a major back seat, I personally am not a huge fan of Angel who's getting all the spotlight ... but Deadpool, Deathlocke, Psylocke, and Fantomex are cool cats. And I appreciate that, while it's on the dark side of my cup of tea, a lot of effort has gone into the writing and creation of this book.

X-MEN LEGACY #255

I actually perked up when I saw this on the stands and quickly grabbed it. I'll call it the OMAC effect. It's a comic book! It has super heroes that do stuff, and go on adventures! This specific issue wasn't as good as the previous 'Legion' story line but ... it's still a breath of fresh air as a throw back to super hero comics that had a bit more going on than inner turmoil and the current cross over event du jour. In a sea of not so good ... X-Men Legacy is quite allright. smile

#507338 09/28/11 04:13 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
X-MEN LEGACY #256: The introduction and back story of a lasting villain for Marvel? I hope so, as he was suitably twisted, tragic and evil.

Nice to see the Lorna/Magneto father/daughter relationship addressed with both parties 'onscreen' at the same time. Their further interactions should be prime reading.

Serviceable art, but how much stronger would this have been with art that evoked the first X-men/Shi'ar meeting?

Every issue, this particular storyline gets stronger and stronger...

#507339 09/30/11 03:45 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
X-MEN LEGACY #256:

Not much to say beyond my previous review. This book continues to be a pleasant surprise. I'm so glad to see Rachel Summers here. I love her. One thing about this book that I love is that it's a 'TEAM' book. It's got a group of characters, not a huge cast, and those characters interact with each other and they grow from that interaction.

I did find the end a bit contrived to support the future plot <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Rogue needed to jump into the gravity well with Frenzy when Magneto and Polaris are .... pretty skilled at manipulating gravity and energy. wink </span></span>

#507340 11/03/11 11:27 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
While I didn't love the Schism storyline ...

I found it not bad, and am happy with the result of the school being reopened and think that Aaron pulled a rabbit out of a hat.

Wolverine would revolt over the treatment of the kids, he's often been shown with a 'sidekick'. I think Aaron has a good handle on the characters and how they would act, rather than the sensational stuff we've got lately.

A couple things that were reasonable but i didn't like was ...

Storm staying on Cyclops' team because he said he 'needed her' and the other team didn't.

Hysterically in Uncanny X-Men number 1 she asks all the members of Cykes new 'extinction team' (the top members who will return to super heroics ... cyke calls them Earth's Mightiest heroes .. ) who of them have been primarily thought a super villain ... to which Magneto, Emma Frost, Namor, Colossus, and Danger all raise their hands. and she asks why Scott's hands not up LOL.

So now I gotta by Cyclop's team X-Men book because Storm's in it.

Also, I hate seeing Peter/Colossus exploring his dark side due to being the new Juggernaut and separated from Kitty ... who heads up the school with Wolverine.

Now that Rachel, Polaris, and Havok are back from outer space ... and siding with Wolverine ... the team's are not supremely imbalanced in terms of power ... Though Cyke's team is looking pretty up there with the Avengers.

I'm in for now. Which is more than I was expecting.

Thanks to Aaron for salvaging this $#!+ show. wink

#507341 11/04/11 10:19 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So I've hated what's been going on with the X-Books for years but I'm thinking with the recent multi-relaunch, I'm reshuffling what it is I'm going to buy, and this time not being afraid of cutting anything that doesn't do it for me. Especially since the DCnU has me buying more DC's than I expected and I already buy a ton of Marvel and independents.

First off, as I said in their own threads, X-Factor and New Mutants are cut. Both series were comics that I was just not enjoying enough to justify continuing; if anything I was reading had to be firmly cut, it was them.

Second, I'm actually going to start buying X-Men Legacy again. I realize I've missed Rogue. With the new writer coming on and a new team (love Gambit and actually really like Frenzy), this is a good time to jump back in. Meanwhile, the adjectiveless X-Men series which has been mediocre at best is getting cut to make room for Legacy; and I'll actually save $1.00 since X-Men is stupidly priced at $3.99 while Legacy is $2.99.

I'm going to try out both Uncanny X-Men and Wolverine & the X-Men since the creative teams are top notch and I've read good reviews. I've never not collected Uncanny so that's a no brainer (hell, we have an unbroken run since #1).

The other big cut I'm thinking is Uncanny X-Force. For months I was praising this series but a few things have started to annoy me. First, the story arcs drag out far too long and are all 6 issues or so. That kind of pacing doesn't do it for me. Second, Marvel has this weird tendency to release two issues per month of this comic every few months or so; its almost sneaky because they don't publicize it (they do the same thing with Avengers: Academy). That's not a good thing for me--I don't need to spend double the cost on X-Force (where with a series like Spidey, I do like it). This by far will be the hardest series to decide but I'm leaning towards cutting it. Especially if Archangel doesn't make it out of the current storyline.

I'm open to being swayed if anyone else is collecting a lot of X-series.

#507342 11/04/11 11:04 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid: Second, I'm actually going to start buying X-Men Legacy again. I realize I've missed Rogue. With the new writer coming on and a new team (love Gambit and actually really like Frenzy),
Frenzy is on an X-team? As in Joanna Cargill, former Alliance of Evil / Acolyte? Ooh! I love that character!

If only they could drag Unuscione and Scanner alone with her, from the Acolytes!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#507343 11/04/11 11:17 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
The one and only! I'm also a fan!

#507344 11/04/11 12:52 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Here's what I'M gonna do Cobes:

(pretty similar to your choices)

1. X-Men Legacy

Frenzy is a riot, and since these characters didn't make an appearance in Wolverine and the X-Men I'm hoping this series will be fairly unchanged by the schism.

2. Wolverine and the X-Men

I'm sure the art can be a turn off to some/many but I like it and I'm so glad they're back in the school. I like a lot of this side of the X family too.

3 and 4. New Mutants

I like that they're back in the world, integration being what I loved so much about the X concept, and I love Dani Moonstar. It's a great jumping on point right now. I wish the art was better. This could be on the chopping block though if it dosn't get good. I've been hoping for a jumping on point but ... NM was just never quite good enough ... and then there was all that nonsense where they were barely in their own book. I've been wanting to like it so here I go ..

Uncanny X-Men

It's got Storm, It looks to be like a good art/good action book. Which is enough to hold on to me most of the time but ... that may be not enough to keep CK !

This could be on the chopping block for me too. Mostly 'cause i don't like most of the characters spotlighted.

I'm dropping Uncanny X-Force too. I find myself confused by the stories and I get every book and have followed the X-men for over 2.5 decades now. I was also was turned off by the 2 titles of X Force during the Fear Itself run, I was even more confused and decided I didn't care that much after all.

The funny thing, even with the big dc reboot, I am guardedly much more excited about the X reboot!! I think the reason for the schism was ok. pretty good ... and long awaited after years of Cyclops' anti-hero X-Men. I'm really enjoying the new Legacy as a solid book. The new venues for Wolverine's team and the New Mutants are interesting to me

#507345 11/05/11 03:25 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Excellent interview with soon-to-be-former X-Men: Legacy writer Mike Carey:

http://www.uncannyxmen.net/db/article/showquestion.asp?faq=12&fldAuto=357

I dropped his book just before it became X-Men: Legacy, not because of him, but because the Messiah Complex "event" was so awful that I wanted nothing more to do with any X-books other than X-Factor (which I ended up dropping less than a year later anyway.) But after reading this interview, I'm planning to borrow the X-Men: Legacy trades from the library.

Carey's a talented writer, if an erratic one. I loved the early arcs of his Hellblazer run, but I thought it fell apart later on. I read a couple of the Lucifer trades and didn't find them engaging. I've read some of his prose and enjoyed it.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#507346 11/05/11 03:37 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The recent X-Men : Legacy stories are some of the best x-stories in recent history. (I never followed this title before the age of x roped me in ... which was really fun ... and separated from the whole X Marvel U ... and had nice effects of the Marvel U ... like bringing Frenzy into the spotlight)

Like I said earlier ( in this thread probably )

These comics are just good, they have heroes who DO things, and go on adventures ... and do more than just wallow in self-pit or their amoral - ness.

The last two storylines in particular: The Legion story line and the Sh'iar storylines are what i've been following.

It reminds me of how comics used to be ...

In a sea of gross comics, an all around pretty good comic ... seems excellent!!

and most of the characters are also a throw back since rachel, alex, and polaris have been ff world some time and have allied themselves with the new school Wolverine Kitty and Beast are starting at Westchester.

Good muties unite! laugh

needless to say I am bummed/scared that Carey is leaving.

#507347 11/05/11 03:46 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words, Peebs. Now I'm really excited, and even wondering if I should read Carey's run in reverse!

#507348 11/05/11 05:00 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I wasn't into Messiah Complex either ...

ugh.

and during/after the only thing keeping me going has been Greg Land ... I did enjoy that Red Queen Sisterhood of Evil Mutants story for fun .... but thought the conclusion about Besty basically choosing her Japanese body was ridiculous (and also a cop out on the interesting scale. )

#507349 11/12/11 01:40 PM
In the end, I decided to grit my teeth and read Carey's X-Men Legacy run chronologically. And now that I've read the first library trade of the run, I have to say I'm glad I did.

I can see how frustrating it must have been following this book on a monthly bit-by-bit basis, because it's as decompressed as it gets. On the other hand, there is a palpable feeling that Carey has an ultimate destination all mapped out in his head, whereas a lot of writers just seem to make it all up as they go along. Will this destination be to my liking? Well, I wasn't pleased with where Carey's equally long Hellblazer run ended up, but this is a much different propostion than Hellblazer, and Peebs' posts in this thread are encouraging.

I also feel like Carey deserves kudos for trying his very best to make some sense out of Xavier, who has one of the most unflattering long-term character profiles in the history of superhero comics. So far, I think Carey is succeeding. Will he go all the way? Stay tuned.

#507350 11/15/11 06:46 PM
Two more X-Men Legacy trades down. I should add that I'm skipping the issues that cross over with the "events" as I doubt there's much of Carey's grand epic in them.

I'm going to miss Scot Eaton. His art in the present-day sequences was very pleasing.

Carey can't be accused of taking the easy way out, trying to make sense not only of Xavier, but also Gambit and Rogue. So far, I'd call it a qualified success. I don't hate Gambit, but I still don't like him either. Xavier and Rogue's inner journeys, on the other hand, were very well executed. Where will it go from here? I look forward to finding out.

Page 10 of 23 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,964
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Positive Man
Positive Man
Lisbon
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star