Roll Call
0 members (), 62 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 23 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 22 23
Re: Marvel's X-verse
#507351 11/18/11 06:12 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Have read much more of Carey's X-Men: Legacy, will have a massive post about it sometime soon.

In the meantime, I read the second Uncanny X-Force trade (the library has the first one, too, but the second one arrived first) and overall I liked it. The action was punchy, the dialogue snappy, and the plotting tight. Remender explores Fantomex's potential, he makes Logan and Warren tolerable to me, and he has a decent handle on Deadpool. The only thing he can't do for me is make me like Betsy. I think Betsy is the Tigra of the X-Men, just a hopeless character. Her "why do I feel this blood-lust?" schtick got old years ago.

From reading the most recent reviews of UXF in this thread, it sounds like it's gone into a decline. So rather than buy it, I'll wait for the rest of the trades to arrive at the library.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#507352 11/19/11 12:40 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So I’ve reshuffled my X-comics pull list and am trying out all the main X-titles again (canceling X-Factor & New Mutants and giving X-Force an issue by issue trail basis). I’ve begun my reading process with Uncanny X-Men #1.

Quite simply, this is the best X-Men comic I’ve read in years. Literarily, years.

Kieran Gillen, who absolutely nails it every month which the hugely under-appreciated Journey into Mystery, delivers the same degree of excellence here in terms of his script, plotting, pacing, dialogue and characterization. Just when I was cringing to buy a comic with Cyclops, Emma Frost, Danger and a Juggernaut-ish Colossus, Gillen proves me totally wrong and shows they are actually an interesting group of characters that I want to read more about.

Artist Carlos Pacheco gives the best work he’s ever drawn in his entire career and I can’t help but feel its hugely aided and abetted by inker Cam Smith. It’s a clean, crisp style that is reminiscent of John Cassidy and works on every level here. The characters are sexy but not trashy, the sequences are full of tension and the action is dynamic. Colorist Frank D’Armata also enhances the pages with his bright, beautiful colors.

Where this comic succeeds is Gillen at last gives Cyclops and this team a clear premise and reason for existing. And then, the subsequent charge into battle makes total sense. Further, he’s able to show the (9) members of the Uncanny team (called the ‘Extinction Team’ in the series) gelling together in a way that works. On top of all that, the issue lays out precisely who is in Utopia at long last and what role they’ll play here, in other series or as supporting characters.

Cyclops and Emma come off likeable for the first time in…EVER? smile Magneto has some great lines, while Storm kicks ass like always. Danger is interesting (and since I don’t like her, I hope she betrays them). Namor works here and I’m looking forward to seeing a capable writer handle the Cyke / Emma / Namor triangle—which is really a fantastic twist on Reed / Sue / Namor and Cyke / Jean / Wolverine. The only character I’m not pleased with is Colossus having this Juggernaut-ish direction but I can bide my time and see how it develops.

Mr. Sinister is the villain of the piece and as he’s probably my favorite non-Magneto X-Men villain, I welcome it. Love the usage of the Dreaming Celestial too.

I’m pretty surprised at how much I liked this. Well done, X-creators! For the first time in many years, an X-Men comic is at the top of my reading pile! On to the other series!

#507353 11/19/11 07:59 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So I’ve caught up on most of the rest of the X-Titles today (except X-Men Legacy, which isn’t out yet I think?). Here are my impressions, which I’ll try to make briefer than my review of Uncanny. The bottom line is: I’m actually very, very impressed by the relaunch of the X-Comics right now. They are all consistently good, falling in the range of ‘good’ to ‘excellent’.

X-Men, the adjective-less title, has been like a cipher since it debuted, never justifying its existence. With this relaunch it starts to do just that, becoming a supplementary title to Uncanny X-Men while carving out an identity of its own as the strikeforce / X-Force team for Scott’s side of the Schism. Writer Victor Gischler writes a direct, interesting spy/action sequence with good insights into a smaller team of characters while artist Will Conrard provides a very clean, good looking art style to it (I wonder if that’s a purposeful theme in connection with Uncanny?). Colorist Chris Sotomayor purposely colors things slightly darker to highlight the espionage element. All in all, it actually works pretty well! It’s very similar to Uncanny X-Force and Secret Avengers when those comics are done right.

The line-up is a combination of characters specific to this series (Domino, Warpath and Jubilee) with some shared characters with Uncanny—here, Storm & Colossus. Psylocke is the other major character and I know from advertisement she’s playing both sides of the fence, likely a spy for Wolverine on Cyclops team. The 6 of them work really well together! I’m not sure if other X-characters will be rotated in or out but the basic squad here works just fine. I love that for the first time in forever Storm is getting some real showcase. I’m also loving that Jubilee has made a comeback to prominence and in the process had her power levels amped up. I didn’t realize how much I missed her until this issue.

All in all, I really enjoyed this.

Up next was the other flagship title, the one for Wolverine’s team entitled (on the nose) Wolverine on the X-Men. Everything about the title of the series means I should hate it but a good review by Rich Johnston led me to check it out. And I’m glad I did—it’s actually very good! Wolverine has led half of the X-characters away from Cyclops and his is the side more akin to Professor X’s original dream and the original thematic principles of the X-Men as a franchise. Here they restablish the old school in Salem Center, NY, but this time it’s the “Jean Grey School for Gifted Youngsters”. Wolvie is headmaster, Kitty is headmistress, Beast & Iceman and many others are the professors and the vast majority of still living young mutants are the students. As a premise, this is probably the single best of all the X-titles right now.

The writer is Jason Aaron who is one of the best writers in comics. Don’t believe me? Read Scalped. No, seriously, go read it—right now. Its the best comic ever made. Okay, done? Aaron is fantastic on every level and he can write gritty, tough as nails scenes when the time is right, and yet can also have moving, charming or humorous scenes as well. He has a great handle on Wolverine that reminds you why he got so popular and that you actually do in fact like the character. And he’s already a great Kitty. Chris Bachalo returns to the X-franchise as artist here. Sometimes I like his art and sometimes it works—it just kind of fits some series while at times not fitting others. This is a definite fit.

The school aspect just feels so right that it amazes me whenever they get away from it. That never works. It’s welcome to be back and with a nice twist. Charles Xiaver shows up and appears to be a (welcome) recurring presence though the real effort is on the others: Wolverine, Kitty, Iceman, Beast, Canonball, Doop, Rachel Grey, Chamber, Karma, Husk and amusingly enough, Toad as the janitor. All of them are put into roles they are not used to and causes them to have to step up. I’m really looking for Bobby Drake to be held accountable for the responsibility he takes on, as well as others.

Gladiator’s son—“Kid Gladiator”—is also sent as a student here; hilarious. The student I’m most looking forward to seeing is Quentin Quire from Morrison’s run.

This was a really great outing. The best part was the general light-heartedness of the entire issue. It’s just been so long since a ‘main’ X-title has had that kind of tone and you put it down smiling from ear to ear. It’s been long overdue.

Even though I originally planned on dropping it, I couldn’t help but buy Uncanny X-Force; this is the penultimate issue of the Dark Archangel Saga. I’ll buy the next issue too, and probably the one after to see what the series looks like post-Schism.

As much as the plots can get a little confusing, there’s no denying Remender’s writing style is really engrossing and really tight. I *want* to know what’s going to happen to these characters. His depiction of Warren is so well-done that even though I’m fearful he won’t survive this, it feels right, as if this is what is supposed to happen. Remender pulls absolutely no punches in his depiction of him as a villain and it just feels like a real ballsy move.

The fight scenes are great and the tension is high. There’s no getting around that this is a well put together story. I guess I’ll see—I’m trying to cut down on X-titles but if I keep this, that means I’ll be collecting one more X-title than I was before!

#507354 11/23/11 04:09 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN #2: Containing a good Iceman story. That's right. I typed a 'good Iceman story'. Well, it wasn't just an Iceman story- but that's what is most memorable. Bobby's known as the hero who has this potentially great super-power that he never 'pushes'. Here, he pushes.

And gives a faculty member a slushie of a different kind.

Do you think from a reader's POV that the writer and artist are successful if they make you absolutely despise a team of villains? Or that they've failed if they haven't made them at all sympathetic? I'm not sure. I always liked the adult Hellfire Club and its somewhat shades of gray over/undertones for *some* members. Even the most 'evil' were entertaining in their libertine excesses.

These kids, though-- I hate them. I hope none of ever grow up and become future X-anything, Avengers, etc. I don't want to say I want to see pre-teens killed- but I do.

An issue-ending scene features the return of a 'character' from waaaay back in the X-men's history. It's been spoiled in solicits and publicity, I believe. I think it'd be kind of cool if said character were 'reached' somehow (by Rachel or Broo* or Lockheed, even) and became an X-man. It'd fit right in with the theme of practically all the X-villains joining the team.

*Broo, by the way, just might be the new character of the year. I enjoy every scene he's had and love the dialogue he's getting.

#507355 11/23/11 04:55 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I hate those damn kids too ... they seem so evil. And it's not like you could ever want to be them.

For example: Sebastian Shaw, while evil, it would be cool to be super strong, and he made his money himself ... these kids are just spoiled brats.

I'm so glad Quentin Quire and Kid Gladiator are on this team, I'm salivating for the uber adventure/uber trouble they could get into together.

Or ROMANCE !! lol

#507356 11/23/11 05:51 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
my store didn't have Wolverine and the X-Men because of a shopping error. frown

I'm wondering how the X-Men are going to keep their *underdog* status in the MU since they are all so powerful now.

Cyke called his team Earth's Mightiest Heroes but Kid Omega and Kid Gladiator could take out most of the Avengers by themselves, not to mention the others on Team Wolverine .... Polaris, Phoenix, Havok, Ice Man.

#507357 11/27/11 12:54 PM
I've just about caught up with Mike Carey's X-Men Legacy.

And despite my "no events" statement before, I did make an exception for Age of X since that was entirely Carey's baby.

I have to say, Rogue has come alive for me in these stories like she never has before under any previous writer, even Claremont. Now I almost find myself wishing that Rogue (whose picture was included on the dossier on the cover of Avengers #18) had made the team instead of Storm. I say almost because Bendis is still writing the Avengers and he would mischaracterize her horrible, the way I can already tell he's mischaracterizing Storm.

Overall, Carey never reinvented the wheel, but he delivered a string of well-crafted tales with welcome spotlights on under-used characters. I particularly appreciate the aftermath to Age of X, where characters were clearly shaken by what had happened, something which Kurt Busiek ignored when he used a similar premise on the Morgana LeFay arc that opened his Avengers run.

I consider Carey to be a writer with great respect for what came before him, who was willing to bite the bullet and acknowledge even the parts he didn't like personally. That, my friends, is integrity, something little seen in recent years from the writers employed by either Marvel or DC.

#507358 11/30/11 03:18 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
YES! I'm so glad you got it. and HIGH PRAISE !!! BouncingBoy

I picked up Age of X much like I picked of Legion of the Damned way back when.

It had some great promotional art and character designs by Olivier Coipel. And while not as good as Coipel I knew the artists from his run on Fantastic Force and I found him pretty good, I think he has some growing yet to do but he's starting off as a cross between Hitch and Coipel ... which for me is a good start.

Also, it was a short term elseworlds somewhat self contained that looked action heavy so I knew it would be enjoyable.

But I didn't think I'd enjoy it so much. It's my favorite story arc of a recent x run. (as i've said before in this thread)

In general, I liked the mystery of the story, I liked characters being shook up, for example Cyclops ... who I really enjoyed as a back up character rather than his current leader melodrama in the main series'. I felt like we got to see a bit of the real him.

Plus lots of highlighted characters who at the time were not being highlighted. Dani also got to be a bad ass.

The voices of the characters seemed honest, or like the voices of the characters that i grew up with (which is pushing 20 to 30 years ago)

Kitty Pryde was wily and formidable, Magneto was a control freak, Professor X was an inspiration ... Rogue is courageous and risk taking, and gambit totally loves her.

I didn't like Moira being thrown under the bus but the legion/Moira dynamic was much more interesting than the original plan which was to have it be dark phoenix. Someone had to be the bad guy.

After Age of X I have been following Legacy and keep being pleasantly surprised.

as I've said in this thread.

Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:

Overall, Carey never reinvented the wheel, but he delivered a string of well-crafted tales with welcome spotlights on under-used characters.
I totally agree, he found an old beautiful well crafted wheel and polished it up, and got it rolling again.

Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:

I particularly appreciate the aftermath to Age of X, where characters were clearly shaken by what had happened, something which Kurt Busiek ignored when he used a similar premise on the Morgana LeFay arc that opened his Avengers run.
I agree it makes it so much more real, and makes me feel for the characters a lot more, I'm still enjoying Frenzy's transformation and hope to see Legion again soon.

#507359 11/30/11 03:28 PM
Thank you, Peebs. I might have missed out on these fine stories altogether if not for yours and Todd's recommendations.

I should also mention I enjoyed Carey's use of his own creations, the Children of the Vault, in X-Men: Legacy. I didn't think the art was as good as it could have been, but at least it was clear and I could follow what was going on, unlike the Chris Bachalo art on the CotV's first appearance.

#507360 12/01/11 06:19 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Re: X-MEN: LEGACY 259-- Is the exchange between Havok and Cyclops the first time the brothers have met since the former Starjammers came back to Earth?

Lame, if so.

#507361 12/02/11 05:24 PM
I get the impression that the greetings and reunions took place off-panel between #258 and #259.

I quite enjoyed the space opera arc (infinitely more than Brubaker's white elephant of a space opera arc in UXM a few years back) and now I'm glad Carey's getting a chance at tying up loose ends before he leaves, including an apparent (and welcome, from me at least) reversal of one of the few annoying moments of his run.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Looks like Ariel's coming back to life.</span></span>

#507362 12/14/11 04:27 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
X-Force #18: <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> Archangel is apparently killed; however, a naked amnesiac Angel is wandering around in the snow, until he encounters a gobsmacked Psylocke. There're lots of scenes occuring only in a telepath and her subject's mind in this issue, so this *could* be more unreality, but it could also be Warren surving.

If a comic's gotta have an amnesiac, a hunky naked blond's a pretty good way to go. </span></span>

Genesis aka Kid Apocalypse as a hero raised in a Smallville-like virtual reality? At this rate, there aren't going to be any super-villains left in the Marvel Universe. Not that the setting needs them, as heroes fighting heroes has been what's been buttering their bread for quite a while now.

This was a pretty impressive issue capping a distinctive storyline that I don't profess to fully understand, but do admire.

#507363 12/15/11 11:02 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Uncanny X-Force #18

Jeez I really wish it was as good as the reviews. I thought it was kind of a not so hot mess. the art is good the writing is just plain batshit crazy.

It reminded me of an all you can eat buffet, I don'tmean that as a glamorous metaphor as in it had something for everyone ... I mean it as .... It was like an all you can eat buffet in real life ... a crap load of over cooked food that has been sitting under the warming lamps for far too long .... and has lots of sodium ... "mmm egg rolls!"

It was also very much like a B horror movie .... people keep dying and coming back repeatedly ...

The one thing I really wanted to see more of was the Age of Apocalypse X-Men ... like their Jean Grey and Sunfire (who had some moments) but I found them more interesting than the original cast.

Also, Shouldn't Archangel's wings still cause paralysis ... well I guess the writer has chopped betsy up into whatever character he wants her to be ... why not Warren.

I did like the ending but <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">what's the point of all that melodrama if Warren turns out to be alive???</span></span>

It's unclear who moves on to the next level ... as some of the living characters especially the Age of X X-Men was left unclear.

But seriously, this book has been a very long mash up of almost every story we've seen before crammed into a R rated movie.

I was fatigued and confused just by reading the 'previously in paragraphS.'

It's definitely an OPERA, and the art is faboo but, it kind just gos on and on ... snowballing more stuff into along the way .. until I didn't follow it or was annoyed at caring.

Maybe I would do better with it in a trade .... (an 8 issue trade?)

#507364 12/16/11 09:24 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I liked Uncanny X-Force 17 with all the action, and the calvary coming to the rescue, and Betsy in her Lady Mandarin costume.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">I think the battle where Warren even as Apocalypse can take down Phoenix, Wolverine, Sabretooth, and Wildchild at the same time is a bit much. Also, whatever happened to Phoenix being a prime ... or was that just Rachel Summers who had no duplicates across dimensions? </span></span>

#507365 12/16/11 11:15 AM
The Present is Past
The Present is Past
re: Uncanny X-Force #18

I can agree a bit with what's been said before. I like this book, the art is pretty, and the story felt appropriately like an epic ... but I'll be damned if I can really recall all of what's happened the last few months. Interested to see if any of the few remaining Age of Apocalypse characters (besides the one we know who's joining the team) will be sticking around in some capacity.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">AoA Jean and Sabretooth, for example, are great characters who I wouldn't mind see filling the void of the 616 versions in our reality much like Nightcrawler looks like he will.

I really loved the 'dream sequence' Betsy fed into the dying Archangel's mind to give him some peace and make him feel like he actually went out like a hero with a full life. That's how I chose to interpret the scene. Her reaction to be left behind felt appropriately rational since she, too, felt their imaginary existence and her connection to him in that moment. I was ready for that to be a great good-bye to Warren, but the amnesiac at the end kind of ruins it a little for me. Still, I'd rather learn amnesiac Warren exists immediately instead of have him show up a few months later.

Not really interested in Genesis / Kid Apocalypse ... or the fact another Apocalypse child is on the way with Pestilence. We've sure met a lot of them the last year or so.</span></span>

#507366 12/17/11 10:49 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
one more thing ... I thought Apocalyspe reincarnated by regenerating .... not by having heirs ... ?

anyway, maybe this would have been better as an elseworlds since the writer seems to do whatever he wants anyways ... also might also have been better as just a new series period ... like 12 issues or ongoing ...

I did like it fairly well but, I think I have to throw away a lot of what I know and like about these characters and suspend my disbelief to fully enjoy it. If it were an elseworld's it'd be easier to be all in.

one funny thing ... lol <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Why is Wolverine ont he cover of 18 ?!?! He's not in the issue at all, except as a pile of carnage to be scooped up at the end!</span></span>

#507367 12/21/11 01:20 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
oh damnit .... I picked up X-Force #19 ...

and I actually REALLY liked it!!!

even though it is crazy sauce and has some inconsistencies ... the plus outweighs the minus today. It's fun!

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Wolvie tells Hank and Kitty about the X Force!! Kitty Pryde is shown as subtly maternal and commanding. But she rushes to hug the new Kurt .. who roughly tells her he's the Age of Apocalypse Kurt. AND the Captian Britain Corps shows up for some space time continum retribution on the team !! YEE HAWW!! I love them. </span></span>

some things i was so so about :
<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Kid Genesis joins the school but nobody tells him his real past so ... i'm afraid he's gonna find out badly and go into a superboy primeesque rage .. their effort to raise him well and turn him into a good guy gos boom ... very typical .. i hope it turns out some other way. Also I wish some more of those age of A badasses besides Kurt stuck around like phoenix and sunfire but it seems we'll get to see more of them in Uncanny XForce 19.1 (not sunfire though). And amnesiac Warren just seems weird. like he's a Zauriel type Angel. puke ... and Wolvie giving away his sword to alternate dimension Sabretooth ... did I miss the heart to heart or something ... ? </span></span>

BUT really cool :

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">The school is REALLY taking it up a notch with uber powered kids. Quire. Gladiator. and now Genesis. Love how theyre taking it up a notch.</span></span>

now I have to read my Wolverine's X-Men ... which I totally perked up and grabbed when i saw it on the shelf!!

I haven't been this X-cited in a long time!

It feels good, having basically dropped DC due to their ho hum relaunch.

#507368 12/22/11 12:26 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Wolverine and the X-Men #03 was a romp and focused on Quentin Quire, who I kinda like ...

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">This issue focused on Quire and softening him. And added a new uber kid to the school ... Krakoa! The living Island moves into the school after being freed from the Hellfire Club's control. </span></span>

Other than that, it's mostly just fun, Kid Gladiator likes to punch stuff, and Kid Brood comes off a bit too much like Henry McCoy Jr. for my tastes.

For a species undergoing extinction there are always new young mutants to write about! What happened to the huge group of "Young X-Men" (Gen 5) ?

#507369 12/23/11 05:08 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So far I'm loving Uncanny, Wolvie & kids, Legacy and even the adjectiveless X-Men title which has been great! All four have has VERY strong relaunches with characters and a purpose that I like and want to know more about.

I'm behind on X-Force though I'm so tempted to read Peebs spoilers.

Of the main four, Gillen may be doing the best writing (on Uncanny) but Wolverine and the X-Men may be my favorite with it's true sense of fun (finally!) and tight characterization by the masterful Jason Aaron.

I quit like how the teams have a lot of odd pairings mixed with some appropriate ones.

Oh, and my crush on Kitty is back.

#507370 12/23/11 12:36 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
my review of X-Force 18 was pretty scathing ! lol

I think if I just let it go and not think about it too much, I'll enjoy the book more.

------------------
New Mutants #35

was so so, I think I'll drop it, the art is not up to snuff ... Magma looks like she's flying in one panel.

... and as far as the writing goes ... the bad guys are a band.

The cover has absolutely no relation to the innards.

shrug

#507371 01/03/12 03:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Was looking over my recent Uncanny X-Force's last night ...

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">What happened to Deathlock, he hitched a ride back and then wasn't in 18 and isn't on the cover of 19 ? I was enjoying his humor. </span></span>

Also, I'm just LOVEing how much panel time Rachel Grey has been getting across Wolvie and the X-Men and Legacy!!

#507372 01/19/12 06:22 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Uncanny X-Force #20 was fun,

a bit too much of *this isn't our nightcrawler*

the story isn't so believable in my eyes ... <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Captain Britain and the Britain corps intervene to punish Fantomex for killing a child Apocalypse who had already been brainwashed to be evil. Of course putting Betsy in a hot position because she has feelings for Fantomex. Anyway, I don't think the Omniversal guradians would care very much. no matter what they say. </span></span>

Also, I am tired of being teased with <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Storylines that propose Betsy returning to her Caucasian body, I would actually really like for it to happen, I think it's really really (i mean very troubling weird) weird that she *wears* an Asian body. I also think it would be cool for her to get her lady Britain powers back! Which oddly, her failure as Lady Britain started this whole domino effect where she wanted to be harder and harder until the siege perilous granted her wish and she was delivered to the Hand which changed her into a Ninja in a new body.
</span></span>

I like the art, it's a bit messy, but it reminds me of Rick Leonardi, I think the colorist is a bit murky too which dosn't help.

#507373 02/19/12 11:31 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
NEW MUTANTS #37... wherein Magma goes on a date with Mephisto. That's right. A date with a Lord of Hell. She goes to fulfill a promise she made in order to save her teammates lives and souls. Which is pretty brave, when you think about it.

Of course, the date turns out to be something quite different than an honorable obligation. Magma comes off rather well, here. It's nice to see her featured in a story that has nothing to do with her confusing background (though I *do* want to see that explored-- I'm of the long live Nova Roma, down with Allison Crestmere opinion).

I don't think you need to have been reading the series to enjoy this story. All you need to know is that the New Mutants have moved to San Francisco and are all living together. They have a friendly Polish or Russian older neighber who cooks for them.

There's some nice bits of humor and human(ish) behavior here. Well worth checking out if you enjoy something a little different than superhero hijinks featuring characters who just happen to be mutants and mythological characters and Lords of Hell.

A nod to JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY appears-- the now-teen-age Loki has given a hel-wolf-puppy to Dani. Though it appears that Warlock has taken it in and is hiding it from his 'self-friends'. Why? We don't yet know. We also don't know if the Valkyrie-on, Valkyrie-off Miss Moonstar knows anything about the cute pup.

#507374 02/19/12 11:46 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
This cover was so beautiful ... I picked up the previous three issues to catch up with the story ...

[Linked Image]

Story focused mostly on Jamie being bounced around alternate universes ... which was fun ... the few spots with the rest of the team over issues 229 to 231 ... had them arguing.

oh and we find out where Polaris and Havok are going to be in the Wolvie vs. Cyclops X-Universe.

#507375 02/19/12 11:47 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN #5... OK, all you lapsed X-readers- this just might be the comic for you. Yes, Wolverine's in the title and yes, he's now the headmaster of a very different school. Lots has happened.

But none of it really matters, since this is a book full of humor, interesting, newish characters and a hard-to-achieve light touch that's just serious enough.

Here's some of the current student body-- the son of Krakoa (you remember, the living island from Giant-Size X-Men #1), a teen-aged clone of Apocalypse who's been raised in an artifical environment that's just like the Kent farm from DC, Gladiator's son (Gladiator's now the emperor of the Shi'ar empire, by the way), his gung-ho cleavage-bearing bodyguard, a kind, funny, non-Brood like Brood named Broo, and many more students you might of might not recognize- depending on when your lapse started.

The facutly? Wolverine's the headmaster. I know, I know. But it works (and I'm not a big Wolverine fan, particularly). Shadowcat, Beast, Iceman, Rachel Summers, Rogue... and others I'll leave it to you to discover.

In #5, among other events, a group of the students shrink down to take a tour of the insides of the school janitor (Toad) as part of Professor McCoy's science class. The usual hijinks occur, but they also view what is identified as cells that are or create the X-gene. And they find it/them beautiful. Not what I'd have expected these days. I found that a nice moment, in a thoroughly comic-booky way.

Give this book a try, even if you've been sneering at all things X, and I think you'll enjoy it.

Page 11 of 23 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,964
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
SoM
SoM
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star