Roll Call
0 members (), 10 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 08:04 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 08:04 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 08:00 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/19/24 07:50 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 19 MAY*
by razsolo - 05/19/24 06:10 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:53 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Re: FINAL CRISIS (Official Thread)
#510456 06/03/08 08:27 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally posted by kidflash2fan:
this book the only think i liked was the cave man
Oh, yes. Anthro. love I do adore long hair on men.

On topic, I find that Morrison usually promises a lot and delivers little. But I flipped through the first issue a couple times out of curiosity. I was not impressed.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#510457 06/04/08 02:39 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I was happy to see Morrison continue with his version of the New Gods from the Seven Soldiers series. The cosmic/Monitor stuff didn't grab me - but I'll probably get the next issue, at least.

BTW, Douglas Wolk is doing annotations for Final Crisis - 1st issue covered here .

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#510458 06/04/08 03:17 PM
Active
Active
Just read FC #1.

I was absolutely underwhelmed. I never was a fan of Morissons writing. Don't know why he is considered such a hot writer - I did not like "Invisibles", yawned over his JLA and never thought his X-Men stuff was as great as the press wanted to make us believe...

... and now this. My impression: The pacing of the story is totally wrong, Morisson switches from one storyline to the other without any logic or motivation behind it.

On one page, Dr. Light and Mirror Master battle down some C-Heroes I never heard of - three pages later, Dr. Light <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">suddenly drags the Martian Manhunter in some room to let Libra kill him???</span></span>

What kind of storytelling is that?

Not to mention that they <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">simply killed a veteran character out of the blue without any grandeur or meaning just for the sake of a bloddy effect???</span></span>

We get an accidentally thrown in panel of Black Canary and Red Arrow at a supervillain demonstration in the middle of this to boot...

And this is just one example of bad writing / pacing. Morisson never bothers to explain what exactly is happening there. Shouldn't such a "main event" somehow be accessible for new readers? They don't get ANY explanation what happened before, who is who and why in Gods name they should be keeping on BUYING this book... Morisson just keeps on throwing in "ultracool" stuff without telling a story. This is like 52 meets Countdown in its worst way...

I feared this would happen and Grant Morisson did not "disappoint" me in the worst of ways... so glad that L3W will be done by Geoff Johns instead.

#510459 06/06/08 08:57 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I liked the start. It gave promise and hinted at things to come. From Metron's opening to Darksied's rant- Morrison is making these New Gods GODS.

Yes Countdown and DOTNG killed the New Gods already. But Grant's skipping over that and bringing folks up to date without a lot of exposition. We've got gods dying, gods inhabinting human bodies, and a threat that spans eons.

I'm willing to give him an issue or two to explain.

As for the death- sometimes villains are villianous. And DC got flak for when the villain killed a loved one of a hero. Now they get flak for when a hero dies. So no one should be kiiled?

Just spouting off.
#510460 06/10/08 11:00 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So I read #1 and I'm not as dissapointed as many here at all. It was pretty much what I expected with some minor quibbles.

Great to see Anthro, Metron, the minor Kamdani bit, and other bits that Morrison nicely uses to convey the scope of what he's tring to do. I honestly don't think he was trying to be 'cool' at all, and that he seldom does this in the past few years; I think he's trying to be 'different' and his writing technique and pacing is intended to mirror the actual message he's trying to get across. Which will reveal itself in due time, probably not until the close of the final issue. I certainly trust in his writing style to bring me there.

After a fair amount of time being sickened by DC's use of the New Gods, its nice to see Morrison use them, but I have to admit right out that even seeing them makes me a feel like saying 'not them again!'. The only saving grace is that it feels like Morrison is attempting to give us the LAST New Gods story, or at least for a little while (because at this rate the LAST New Gods story will end up being published centuries after I'm dead).

Libra is interesting but it seems so obvious to anyone familiar with Kirby's Fourth World that he's Glorious Godfrey. So I honestly hope its not.

Martian Manhunter's death is so in the vain of bad super-hero deaths that one might think its on purpose that way, but I don't want to give Grant Morrison that much credit yet until I read the entire series. Honestly though, we all know J'Onn isn't dead. He's practially the only totally original, independent and stand-alone character left in the entire DCU. He's not dead. It just depends on if he's gone for six issues, six months or six years.

I kind of like seeing Turpin. And Renee-Question and John Stewart having large roles would be welcome here. Morrison has very large ideas but he often doesn't use vast amounts of characters in his stories, so I don't expect to see everyone popping up. It'll be interesting to see who does.

I like the fact that I know nothing about what this is supposed to be. Obviously Didio and the DC Marketing department don't know how to market it and have been marketing it slightly wrong all along. You can just tell by the utter cluelessness that comes across in every interview or media blurb they do. In two pages Morrison at least made the Monitor's seem a *little* interesting...it'll be interesting to see if that has really all that much to do with this story at all.

#510461 06/10/08 11:46 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Morrison on FC #1

So Grant talks with Newsarama about FC #1, the conflicts with Countdown, and MM's death. He talks about FC #1 being written before there was a Countdown, and he hadn't realized DC was going to bring the New Gods into the limelight.

He also talks about MM's death, and that he wanted to show the villains are stepping it up- they are EVIL.

As for Libra- I figure he is a newly returned blue-eyed fan favourite.

Just spouting off.
#510462 06/10/08 12:17 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Best part - at long last I get to see Dr. Light get served up some vegeance. I hate the character now, and as much as I wanted it to be Hawkman to cave his head in, I can live with the Spectre ending him.

#510463 06/10/08 06:02 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm pretty much New Godded out.

I think Morrison's take on them is entertaining, but I wish he'd created a pantheon that had their own identities. Reading the largely white, WASPy New Gods as black characters playing at being gangstas sort of disturbs me.

Will Highfather, Lightray, etc. also have dark skin? If not, isn't that a pretty ugly pattern to use?

I don't really get the reason for the change; but Dark Side and crew's debut in 7 SOLDIERS was creepy and evil as could be- with a nasty sense of humor.

DC's making it a practice these days to have confusing groups of gods with conflicting continuities appear simultaneously. See the recent Freddy Freeman mini-series, Wonder Woman, Wonder-Girl and JSA for references.

#510464 06/11/08 03:00 PM
Active
Active
This really tops everything (in a bad way...): They spend one year of pushing a bad story down our throats, just to start the main event with the discovery that the bad story doesn't fit with the main event at all????????????????

Are they totally mad???

I never cared for the New Gods (or any other spiritual or mystic character) - except for Great Darkness - and my opinion isn't improved by overexposure to them with stories that don't even fit together...

So is Darkseid dead or not dead (he died at the end of Countdown... didn't he???)???

#510465 06/11/08 07:44 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
My comic-book guy suggested this but only after begging for some ideas on things to read that might remotely affect Legion.

This Libra comes off more back-alley than powerfull and charismatic. Cannot fathom why anyone would follow him.

Except for Luthor, the characters read the same to me.

Loved the art on the opening pages.

Overall, not a fan. This is a weekly, right?

Can't see spending $150 on this story.

#510466 06/11/08 09:03 PM
Pov Offline OP
Don't Stop Peelieving
OP Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
No, BB, Trinity is the new weak-ly title. FC is a 7-issue monthly. Plus assorted tie-ins, but Legion of 3 Worlds is the only one I'm getting in addition to the main FC book. tongue

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#510467 06/11/08 10:06 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Yikes. I was already pretty mad about the ending of the Death of the New Gods. This is pretty frustrating.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#510468 06/12/08 12:01 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
What's amazing is how bad its DC that screwed this up, not Jim Starlin, not Grant Morrison. Obviously, Morrison had begun this story months ago and had a specific set of beats he was going to tell, yet DC decided they should cash in while they can and release Death of the New Gods.

DC is the comics equivalent of Countrywide Financial.

#510469 06/12/08 12:56 PM
D
Candidate
Candidate
D
I picked this up knowing nothing really much about the 52 series - except for, well, that the multiverse was back. I bought it only because of the Final Crisis: Legion coming up. Overall, it was ok. I was a little (lot) lost.

I have a couple of stupid questions... Who in the heck was the guy that woke up suddenly at the end looking at his hands - what was the significance? And what was with Anthro and the broken down Statue of Liberty?

#510470 06/12/08 06:35 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Pov:
No, BB, Trinity is the new weak-ly title. FC is a 7-issue monthly. Plus assorted tie-ins, but Legion of 3 Worlds is the only one I'm getting in addition to the main FC book. tongue
Oh thanks, comic-book guy put Trinity in my bag too. I liked Trinity alright. For 7-ish I suppose I might hang onto it. And of course I'll be getting 3 Worlds, the cartoon Legion and Ambush Bug. I'd been hoping for more Legion stuff this year though. Fables trade coming out. Gives me a couple things to read through the summer.

#510471 06/12/08 08:51 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Hey Daryl, it's absolutely worth reading Morrison's interview on Newsarama:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/080609-MorrisonFC01.html

The waking up guy is a Monitor who was punished in the preceding pages. I think he's mortal now with a washed memory.

Anthro is apparently becoming the first superhero, sparked by Metron's appearance. The broken-down statue of liberty and the other long-haired boy is Kamandi, the Last Boy on Earth.

I have to say it IS really hard just to read this book and not think of the waste DC Editorial has made of the last year. They really couldn't think of ANYTHING else but spoiling/teasing/contradicting/trivializing Morrison's Final Crisis story? What a pathetic state of affairs. They could have spent a year doing cameo teases (like in the original Crisis on Infinite Earths). They could have done a book simply exploring the new Multiverse (e.g., Earth 51, Kamandi, whatever), with one book per week, that could have been REALLY good, sort of an Exiles/What If/Twilight Zone anthology style thingie. Get some great creators to tell interesting stories building off the Morrison/Waid/Rucka/Johns framework. With the Phantom Stranger as your guide! Ooh, I get goosebumps thinking of how good it could have been. They could have HINTED at the turmoil of the New Gods without stealing and spoiling Morrison's thunder.

I haven't read THAT much in comics in the last 20 years -- I had steadily avoided more and more of the big company events (to this day, I have NO idea what has gone on with the X-Men since about 1988, even though I've read a steady smattering of Marvel books). I got pulled back in by "52" because it was so much fun. I'll keep reading Final Crisis because Morrison's TRYING to do some interesting things, and I'm willing to pay to see if he succeeds or not. But if I were Paul Levitz, I'd start seriously considering whether Dan DiDio and Mike Carlin should keep their jobs.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#510472 06/12/08 11:16 PM
Leader
Leader
"But if I were Paul Levitz, I'd start seriously considering whether Dan DiDio and Mike Carlin should keep their jobs."

Mike Carlin? HE's the one who F***** over LEGION history in the FIRST place!!!!!

#510473 06/13/08 06:13 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Morrison does suggests readers look at FC as a separate story from CTFC. Don't let reading one hinder your appreciation of the other.

Just spouting off.
#510474 06/13/08 07:05 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Yeah. He pretty said DC fucked that one up, not him, though as diplomatically as possible. Damn DC.

#510475 06/13/08 07:41 AM
D
Candidate
Candidate
D
Thanks for the link to the N'rama interview.

I really need to work on my reading comprehension... I completely missed that that was Darkseid in human form.

I think I need to switch to Archie comics.

#510476 06/17/08 06:58 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Final Crisis gets an additional artist in Carlos Pacheco. I like his work, so it's all good to me.

Who prefers late books to multiple artsts?

Final Crisis at Newsarama

Just spouting off.
#510477 06/22/08 09:58 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
DiDio's cluelessness appears to be moving beyond just comics fans: http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/a-major-reboot-of-dc-comics-before-comic-con/

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#510478 06/22/08 11:10 AM
Pov Offline OP
Don't Stop Peelieving
OP Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
shake

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#510479 06/22/08 06:43 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
The least we deserve is his job served up on a platter for that the Brother Eye vs. Darkseid sequence in Countdown tongue

#510480 06/22/08 08:51 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
Who prefers late books to multiple artsts?
I don't mind multiple artists as long as they're both of a high quality rather than a hack fill-in and that the styles compliment the story.

Good recent examples being the "Sinestro Corps War" and the very intentional multiple artists on "The Immortal Iron Fist"

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,464
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
hepcatfox boy, Superboy-Supergirl
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
the boy with UltraPowers
the boy with UltraPowers
Manchester United Kingdom
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star