Roll Call
0 members (), 42 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:51 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:50 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:49 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Successful Super-Villains
#510830 03/06/11 08:47 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I've been giving a lot of thought about super-heroes and super-villains lately. Sure, there is a lot of powerful villains that show up once in a few years and destroy the universe. They have many fans, but I prefer what is called "evil geniuses". My favorite super-villain is Dr.Doom. He along with Lex Luthor, Vandal Savage, Dr. Sivana and a handful of others have endured for decades. I wonder what it is about them that captures my attention and others.

Is it the contrast with the heroes? Is it the personal plot? Just me being a nerd who likes science?

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Re: Successful Super-Villains
#510831 03/06/11 09:17 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
One fun thing about the masterminds is that they so rarely get pummeled into submission and dragged ignominously away in abject defeat to spend time in jail.

Of course Doom abuses diplomatic immunity, robots who pretend to be him, and, in extremis, the ability to switch his mind into another body, to avoid overly humiliating defeats, or getting hauled away in handcuffs, so that's cheating... smile

Doom also has a code of sorts, which makes him far more compelling a character than Luthor.

Attempts to ape that success by giving characters like Magneto or Venom or Bane or Captain Cold or Catman a code or personal honor or some sort of principles has met with some success as well. (Although it runs the risk of cheapening the notion if it goes too crazy. Some villains should remain just flat out bad-guys.)

I feel that the villains with some sort of character development or depth, unlike, say Doomsday or Holocaust or other big dumb elemental forces of destruction, are always going to be more compelling, and it's the geniuses and masterminds that spend the most time talking about their plans and goals and motivations, giving us a chance to get to know, and perhaps even appreciate, them.

My favorites are the lovable losers, the ones that are just such jobbers that you have to feel bad for them. Just as Spider-Man tends to be a hard-luck hero, for whom life tends to pile it on, making you feel bad for the guy, some of the super-villains also have that sort of vibe, like the Beetle (now Mach V) or half of Magneto's Acolytes or the League of Super-Assassins (who, despite their name, have pretty much failed at their task, to kill the Legion, and remain perpetual losers).

Every villain is going to lose in the end, but there are some that you just know right from the start aren't going to go anywhere. Mutant Force or Trident or the Force of July (not really villains, but still adversaries of the heroes).

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,972
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
beardguy57
beardguy57
Philadelphia, Pa
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star