I just got back from a meet-and-greet dinner with Mark Siegel, the editorial director for a new GN imprint launching in April/May. He's a comicy guy himself, having done "Seadogs" and some other all-ages stuff.

This new company, First Second, is introducing six GNs in its first wave and has plans for lots and lots more. He said his company isn't taking it slow and has big plans for its stable of international creators. He's also big on using comics in schools and was actually in Detroit to be part of a panel on the topic at a major teacher's conference. Most of the group was older women teachers, and they had no idea what a GN was.

The first set includes work by Lewis Trondheim, Eddie Campbell, Grady Klein, E. Guibert, Joann Safar and J.P. Stassen and ranges from a space adventure for kids to the romantic mistrials of a vampire to a harrowing tale of genocide in Rwanda.

It looks like a really interesting line, and I look forward to reading the samples I got. Find out more at www.firstsecondbooks.com and check out sample pages by clicking on the catalog link.