Roll Call
0 members (), 52 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/13/24 07:30 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/13/24 07:23 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Gaseous Lad - 05/13/24 04:44 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 80 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 79 80
Re: The All Avengers Thread
#516229 04/02/07 11:49 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Re: Daredevil (I guess belongs in another thread). I guess my opinions both disagree and agree with some of your guys. About four years ago I had the pleasure of reading Daredevil's entire run from #1 to the current issues. I personally think Miller's first run was the best thing to happen to DD and loved it--and was completely blown away by Born Again and think its the greatest Daredevil story ever told, if not one of the greatest comic book stories ever told. And Ann Nocenti's run is absolutely brillant, complete with the Bullet, Mephisto and especially Typhoid Mary. At that time, with JR JR, it was probably Marvel's best comic book. I can go on and on with compliments, but I'd get redundent. Then came a few years of awful stories and then Bendis did perhaps his finest work ever in comics on his run, followed by the current Brubaker run which makes it tied for Single Best Comic Book being published right now (April 2007). That's how I feel about the history of Daredevil. I honestly never really loved the character until a few years ago and now he's one of my favorites. I do like the more fun 70's years, the Black Widow years and of course the beautiful Silver Age years.

#516230 04/02/07 05:08 PM
Leader
Leader
"Re: Daredevil (I guess belongs in another thread)."

One of the things I've enjoyed so much about this thread is, since it deals with The Avengers, it's rather far-reaching and encompasses a lot of things not in actual AVENGERS comics. Plus, too many of the side-bars involve comics that over the years have gone bad so badly they turn my stomach, and I find it more fun to focus on just certain points worth discussing.

"The problem is that Stern and then Harras already were able to move Hank past all the crap that Shooter put him through and return him to his truly glorious Silver Age self."

Having missed the entire Harras run, I had no idea that Busiek was needlessly repeating what Harras had already done. What's wrong with these writers? You know, I'd rather read about characters I like having great ADVENTURES, then read endless soap-opera about characters whose lives are getting repeatedly, horribly ripped to pieces... and, yeah, by the way, they also somehow have "adventures", too, though people in as bad psychological shape as the ones most of these writers are writing about should be utterly INCAPABLE of surviving the kind of "adventures" these people have. They'd be too busy in rehab...

#516231 04/02/07 09:53 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
OP Offline
Excellent review, Cobie. The next time I'm at the comics shop I'll see if they have a Red Zone trade and if they do, I'll browse through it.

Looking forward to the lambasting of the Austen era next week.

Btw, the artist who worked with Johns on both Flash and Avengers was Scott Kolins.

Originally posted by profh0011:
Ann Nocenti's track record made me drop the book (on top of everything else). Her issues of SPIDER-WOMAN somehow made Mike Fleisher look like he knew what he was doing. I've heard a LOT of good comments about her work after that-- but the stuff of hers I did read was so bad, I just avoided her as if she was the next Tom DeFalco.
To paraphrase something I said earlier in this thread about Harras: I don't think it's fair to dismiss Nocenti just because her work on Spider-Woman was bad. Everybody's gotta start somewhere, and many people get really good once they're more seasoned -- IMO, Nocenti got good. Just out of curiosity, have you read the original Longshot mini-series? Nocenti wrote that after Sp-W but before DD, and that's where she came into her own as a writer.

Originally posted by Reboot:
Long post from elsewhere on the Harris run that I think is worth linking: http://www.comicboards.com/avengers/view.php?rpl=070401081253
That's an awesome thread (although it's full of spoilers -- anyone who is curious about the Harras era should wait until after they've read the stories before looking at that thread.) I echo the sentiments of the poster who hopes that the two volumes of O: GS sell well enough for the Proctor/Gatherers Saga to be collected in trades (but without scenes being omitted like in the European trades.)

Originally posted by profh0011:
"Re: Daredevil (I guess belongs in another thread)."

One of the things I've enjoyed so much about this thread is, since it deals with The Avengers, it's rather far-reaching and encompasses a lot of things not in actual AVENGERS comics. Plus, too many of the side-bars involve comics that over the years have gone bad so badly they turn my stomach, and I find it more fun to focus on just certain points worth discussing.
Yes. As the thread-starter, I officially declare that just about anything goes in this thread! laugh

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#516232 04/03/07 02:05 AM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
I spent the last two days reading through this amazing thread, which I'd somehow managed to overlook before. The reviews are intelligent, well-written, and insightful. Even where I've disagreed with a reviewer, I've learned new things about a particular run or creator.

I hope to comment more in depth at a later time, but I do want to briefly defend one of my favorite villain teams, Zodiac, which was given a brief, negative mention earlier.

I'll agree that for most of their appearances, the crime cartel was not handled right. (The worst case was the DEFENDERS arc, when the real team didn't even appear, but were replaced by clones!) Heck, even in their first couple of appearances, most of Zodiac seemed mainly to be supporting characters for two of their members, Scorpio and Aries.

But I first encountered them, luckily, in AVENGERS # 120-122, during Englehart's run. When the group first appeared, blasting their way through the wall of Avengers Mansion and taking the heroes completely by surprise, they seemed formidable and even scary. (Kudos to Bob Brown -- I believe -- the artist, for drawing them as menacing and powerful.) They grew even scarier as their plan unfolded: to kill every Gemini in Manhattan as part of an extortion scheme. The plan is just crazy enough to be credible; it has genocidal undertones, although would-be victims were singled out by birth sign instead of race.

Then there was the intergroup conflict: the new Aries and Scorpio (who replaced the deceased or supposedly deceased originals) butted heads with Taurus, the new leader. Gemini, whom we got to know as tortured hero/villain (a policeman whose body is unkowingly taken over by his criminal brother) plays a pivotal role in all this. And most of the other characters, though seen briefly, intrigued me enough to wonder who they were, how they got their powers, etc. -- a lot like my first few Legion stories.

But my favorite character quickly became Libra. He represented my own birth sign, so I was glad when he turned out to be not such a bad guy, after all. He discovered he was Mantis' father and betrayed Zodiac to save her. He then accompanied the Avengers, revealing Mantis' origin along the way, and even popped up briefly during the conclusion of the Celestial Madonna sequence, only to fade away with the rest of Zodiac, mostly.

(Of course, Libra wasn't a saint. After all, he went along with the scheme to kill all Geminis in Manhattan, among other things.)

When Zodiac next appeared, it was in the pages of GHOST RIDER, wherein one member, Aquarius, had made a deal with Satan to gain all the powers and identities of his cartel teammates. Bad deal, Aquarius.

The second Aries then appeared in CAPTAIN AMERICA & THE FALCON, where he was transformed by Lucifer into a second Lucifer (!). This deal, too, ended badly.

Then came the clones in DEFENDERS, created by Jake Fury, the original Scorpio, who had faked his own death, only to commit suicide this time around. I vaguely remember one other appearance by the original Zodiac, thereafter; as I recall, the entire team was killed off in a brief appearance that set up some other story. I don't remember when or where this took place; it's probably just as well.

It's a shame the original Zodiac never lived up to its full potential. But for at least one story they came off as a formidable menace that could easily defeat the Avengers and cause serious damage to one of the largest cities in the world. Few other villains of that time seemed as ruthlessly capable of achieving their ends.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#516233 04/03/07 02:30 AM
Leader
Leader
I admit I'm not absolutely sure about this... but that's only because it seems to me several writers over the years contradicted each other. I believe Jake Fury was the 2nd Scorpio, and took the place of the original (the Italian race-car driver) who WAS blown sky high in his first (and only) appearance in SHIELD #1. But then, Steranko left so many loose ends hanging for others to pick up, and never explained half of what he was doing. (Let's face it-- he was always more interested in blowing people's minds than "simply" telling good stories.)

After 2 stories with the endings left hanging, unresolved, it was Roy Thomas who came along and revealed that Scorpio was just the vanguard for an entire crime cartel, Zodiac.

Jake Fury-- with the help of David Anthony Kraft & Keith Giffen-- was the one who created the 2nd Zodiac (the androids), who had the kibosh put on them VERY quickly by The Defenders. At which point, Jake committed suicide. You just didn't see that sort of thing in comics before then...

#516234 04/03/07 08:19 PM
My memory for trivia isn't what it used to be, so thanks for the correction, prof.

One other thing about Englehart's Zodiac story stands out to me, and that's an exchange where Gemini (Joshua Link, the bad twin) complains that people with his birth sign have to get the axe in Manhattan. Aries II (in a close-up shot) retorts with "Maybe that's because you Geminis are a shiftless bunch!" (or words to that effect).

Perhaps Aries II was just trying to get Joshua's goat (not to be confused with Capricorn, of course), but there's an undercurrent of bigotry in that remark that seems ironic, considering that Aries II was a black man.

Englehart's writing remains memorable because it worked on so many levels.

#516235 04/03/07 09:50 PM
Leader
Leader
"Perhaps Aries II was just trying to get Joshua's goat (not to be confused with Capricorn, of course), but there's an undercurrent of bigotry in that remark that seems ironic, considering that Aries II was a black man. Englehart's writing remains memorable because it worked on so many levels."

Englehart also wrote the BEST Luke Cage I ever read. (I was looking forward to McGregor's run, but that was sabotaged from the word go by constant changes in art.) And of course, there's that classic scene in his Red Skull story, where the guy upsets his ENTIRE plan just because... Geez...

"That black schwein-- with the WHITE woman!"

Fr***in' Nazi bastard!!!

smile (It's terrible, but it's also hilarious in the context of the story-- he just couldn't HELP himself.)

#516236 04/03/07 10:05 PM
Leader
Leader
"To paraphrase something I said earlier in this thread about Harras: I don't think it's fair to dismiss Nocenti just because her work on Spider-Woman was bad. Everybody's gotta start somewhere, and many people get really good once they're more seasoned -- IMO, Nocenti got good."

It may not be "fair". It just happened. I read SPIDER-WOMAN from the beginning. Wolfman was surprisingly good. Gruenwald was even better-- and that was my 1st exposure to him. Fleisher was a waste of paper. As, almost always. (His 70's SPECTRE stories were fun-- but repetitive, when you get right down to it, and he's been repetitive ever since!) Claremont-- who'd said he had so much trouble trying to figure out how to write Ms. Marvel (oh, boo hoo) knocked it out of the ballpark with Spider-Woman. WHY in the living HELL both he and Steve Leialoha left as quick as they did-- it just bugged me no end. The length of each writer on that book seemed about the same, as if nobody could stand it for longer than that. What was it, some kind of "community service"? Nocenti was TERRIBLE. That's all I knew.

Later, on DAREDEVIL, I'd put up with Miller's incessant nastiness as long as I could. O'Neil was like Miller without the talent. then Miller came back-- did one HELL of a story-- which could be looked at as the "grand finale" of all Miller stories. the book should have changed its tone completely after that. Instead, all I saw was chaos. I left-- I think-- before Nocenti even got on it. I had NO interest in ever reading DD again at that point. I still haven't.

Then there's MACHINE MAN. I loved Kirby's work on that book. Wolfman-- and Ditko-- made me wanna puke. It just wasn't right. Then Wolfman was replaced by DeFalco. He made Wolfman's stuff look good by comparison. You see a pattern here? I dropped the book before it got cancelled.

FANTASTIC FOUR had been-- seriously-- hit-and-miss from the day Kirby left. Everybody did bad on that book. Lee! Thomas! Conway! Wolfman! Moench! (MOENCH, for God's sake!) Stern! (STERN, for Heaven's sake!!) Englehart-- geez... (I've read in detail what he wanted to do on the book at his website, but it just doesn't jibe with my memories of actually reading a couple years' worth of really baaaaaaaaaaad issues.) I tolerated Simonson... until the end. when I heard DeFalco-- DEFALCO!!!-- was taking over-- I dropped the book. Have not bought it regular since.

And don't get me started on SPIDER-MAN...

smile

#516237 04/03/07 10:13 PM
Leader
Leader
"My memory for trivia isn't what it used to be, so thanks for the correction, prof."

Just to be clear... I'm NOT sure it was a correction.

Steranko-- APPARENTLY-- intended Scorpio's identity to be a mystery. he appeared to get blown to atoms at the end of SHIELD #1. but then he came back in SHIELD #5. (Or did he???) Fury recognized him at the end of the issue- but we never got to see who it was!

A few months later, Roy Thomas dropped the other shoe in AVENGERS #72 (I think). If memory serves (I could look it up, but...) Roy revealed Scorpio was really Nick Fury (SAY WHAT???). This tied in with Fury's assassination-- shot DEAD in the last issue of SHIELD! It was really an LMD that got "murdered", while Nick was off trying to infiltrate Zodiac, once he'd discovered his BROTHER, Jake, was Scorpio. I don't recall if there any explanation for how Scorpio survived that explosion in SHIELD #1.

In DEFENDERS, Dave Kraft & Keith Giffen revealed that Jake saw Scorpio blown to bits in SHIELD #1-- then took his identity, in order to kill Nick. Is this what Steranko had in mind? Is this how Thomas interpreted it? I'm not sure!! But it does seem to me some other writer-- many years later-- added to this, or downright contradicted part of it. (Damn you, Steranko! If you're gonna start a story, FINISH it!)

Retroactive continuity can be a B****.

#516238 04/03/07 10:20 PM
OP Offline
He Who Wanders, I may not be a fan of Zodiac, but I always respect an opposing opinion, especially when it's phrased as eloquently and passionately as yours. And that's exactly what I want to see more of in this thread: passionate opinions.

#516239 04/03/07 11:40 PM
Thanks for the compliment, Stealth. Opposing views (passionate, but respectful) are important in any meaningful dialogue -- or at least that's what I try to teach my students.

prof: I think you are probably right about Scorpio. It was accepted for years that Jake was the second Scorpio and that "Frenchy" was the third. At least that's how they were referred to in George Olshevsky's MARVEL COMICS INDEX series, as I recall.

Bigotry was a recurring theme in Englehart's writing. In addition to the Red Skull scene you mentioned, there was also Pietro's discrimination against the Vision (AV. # 110), and the Living Bombs taking that same discrimination even further, to fanatical and fatal ends (# 113) -- a story that resonates even more deeply today.

#516240 04/04/07 12:44 AM
Leader
Leader
One of my favorite Englehart scenes...

"THREE HUNDRED POUNDS of steel-hard muscle races across the rooftop. THREE HUNDRED POUNDS of steel-hard muscle launches into space high over the street. And when THREE HUNDRED POUNDS of steel-hard muscle hits the roof on the other side of the street...

"...MAMA, IT HOLDS!!!"

smile

(I related this to a friend on the phone, when I got to the punch line, he was laughing hysterically. I'm paraphrasing-- but without looking it up, that's how I remember the narration.)

#516241 04/04/07 12:46 AM
Leader
Leader
"It was accepted for years that Jake was the second Scorpio and that "Frenchy" was the third."

"Frenchy"? Wait a minute-- would this be in the Englehart AVENGERS story? Okay, that kinda sounds right... (ESSENTIAL AVENGERS Vol.5 stops just before the Zodiac story-- so I haven't re-read that one in decades.)

#516242 04/04/07 11:27 AM
Yes, the third Scorpio, who appeared in AV 120-122, had a distinct French accent, or what passed for one in those days. ("Mais Oui! Zat stellar device of yours eez incredible, Taurus!" [or words to that effect]).

#516243 04/04/07 02:54 PM
Leader
Leader
"Mais Oui! Zat stellar device of yours eez incredible, Taurus!"

Maurice Chevalier, anybody? (Or maybe Pepe Le Peiu)

#516244 04/04/07 09:40 PM
OP Offline
There's an excellent, comprehensive Roger Stern interview from only a few months ago at http://www.marvelmasterworks.com/ (I couldn't do a direct link, because the interview is HTML). I copied and pasted everything about Avengers:

GK: How daunting of a task was it writing The Avengers for five years?

RS: The hardest part was keeping ahead of shifting deadlines, and hanging onto my cast. At one point, I was almost as ahead of schedule with Avengers as I’d been with Amazing Spider-Man, but then the West Coast Avengers debacle set me back several months.

GK: Was the hardest part working with an ensemble or trying to conjure an interesting villain for them?

RS: Neither, actually. I’d already been working with ensemble casts in all of my other assignments. The difference with the Avengers was that the entire cast was made up of super-heroes. Villains could be a challenge, as the Avengers really had only – what? – Kang and Ultron to call their own. But I could assemble small armies to give them a hard time.

The trick was in figuring out which Avengers I could use. Three of them – Cap, Iron Man, and Thor – had their own books and would be unavailable for long stretches of time. Others would be pulled away for months at a time into miniseries. Keeping the right mix of characters was the biggest challenge, but after a while I managed to develop a pretty good working repertory company of heroes.

GK: For the most part you worked with Milgrom and John Buscema on Avengers; what were they like to work with?

RS: It was fun and frustrating in both cases. Al was always a great idea man, but he was often drawing another book, as well as pulling down a day job as an editor. Because of time constraints, we never got to really collaborate as much as I would have liked. When John Buscema came back to The Avengers, he turned in full pencils for the first issue, and they were magnificent. The only problem in working with John, is that his heart was never really in drawing super-heroes. Try as I might, I could never get him as interested in The Avengers as he was in Conan.

GK: You also wrote the original West Coast Avengers miniseries; was this based on a pitch?

RS: No, I came up with WCA at a weekend convention in Rome, Georgia, that I attended with Mark Gruenwald. Gruenie wanted me to come up with a miniseries, and I wanted to nail down some of the non-active Avengers. There were a couple dozen Avengers or former Avengers at the time, and I had tried to limit the number of active members in any given issue, just to avoid writing crowd-scene comics. I had plans for most of the characters who didn’t have their own books, but every time I turned around, another writer was glomming onto one or more of them for a miniseries, often for someone other than The Avengers editor.

The West Coast Avengers was my solution to that. The original plan was to establish a second branch of the team in California. And once the miniseries was over, I’d have the members of both branches to draw on for stories. I could assemble teams of select Avengers for whatever wild challenge I could concoct. It was never supposed to spin off into its own monthly title. But, it sold very well, and the next thing I knew...

GK: Why didn't you write it when it earned a series?

RS: I was never given a choice in the matter. Steve Englehart had been lured back to Marvel, and there was obviously some interest in having him write a series that would recapture what he’d done with The Avengers in the ’70s. The first I heard about the West Coast Avengers series, it was already a done deal. So, I went from having all of these characters lined up to completely losing control of half of them. I had to scrap plans for at least a year’s worth of stories. It took me months to get caught back up.

I remember, when John (Byrne) later wound up writing both series, he told me that he intended to mix and match Avengers as the need arose. I couldn’t believe it. I said, "That was my plan, but they wouldn’t let me do it!"
Which begs the question: Could Stern have succeeded where both Byrne and Busiek failed? I think he could have found a way to make it work.

#516245 04/04/07 09:59 PM
From an earlier post by Stealth:

One particular point of contention that I have with Busiek is that he seems to be part of the sizable margin of Avengers fans who put the first 200 issues on a pedastal, whereas I think that there's a lot of good stuff there, but also a lot of not-so-good stuff.

I found this comment interesting because I realized, without embarrassment or hurt feelings, that it applied to me. Maybe it is a generational thing, as Stealth says earlier in this post, or maybe it's because so much of the post issue 200 years were particularly bad, but AVENGERS did peak for me during Englehart's run and much of the next 50 issues.

Too many subsequent writers seemed to be trying to recapture something that had been created fresh before, like warmed-over oatmeal. This includes, unfortunately, the much admired Roger Stern era. For some reason, his writing never connected with me. Perhaps it's because he was saddled with the dreary Milgrom/Sinnott art for much of his run. But even when Buscema/Palmer returned, their art just didn't seem as fresh as it did in the earlier era. Or perhaps I was just getting bored with The Avengers reliving past glories. Perhaps I wanted something new and fresh.

(To be fair to Stern, there were original highlights in his run, including Monica Rambeau, the Masters of Evil storyline and the all-too-brief addition of Namor [I loved the ego conflict between him and Herc]. But Stern was also bogged down with Starfox, Dr. Druid, and storylines that just seemed improbable or went on too long, e.g., Vision taking over the world. The premise of this story intrigued me, but the Avengers seemed to go along too easily with Vizh's plans when his atypical behavior should have sent up red flags. At least that's how I remember it.)

It's an odd feeling. In some ways, the Avengers to me have to include at least some combination of the following characters: Thor, Iron Man, Cap, Vision, and Wanda (particularly Thor, who has always been a favorite), yet I also want something new and exciting. But when writers give me too much of what I expect, it leads to a sense of living in the past, like going back to high school again and pretending nothing's changed. This was certainly true of Busiek's run, and thank you, Stealth, for pointing this out. I now understand why I was so disappointed in his work. Even Perez's art, gorgeous though it was, seemed as if it offered nothing new.

The Avengers are at their best, to me, when they are unpredictable: when they challenge the notion that "Oh, you can't do that!" -- such as when Hulk and then all of the original members left, or when Hawkeye killed Egghead (again, a Stern highlight).

#516246 04/04/07 10:49 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
It's an odd feeling. In some ways, the Avengers to me have to include at least some combination of the following characters: Thor, Iron Man, Cap, Vision, and Wanda (particularly Thor, who has always been a favorite), yet I also want something new and exciting. But when writers give me too much of what I expect, it leads to a sense of living in the past, like going back to high school again and pretending nothing's changed. This was certainly true of Busiek's run, and thank you, Stealth, for pointing this out. I now understand why I was so disappointed in his work.
You're welcome. And thank you for sharing that insight. I have to say, as much as I love the Harras era, if some future Avengers writer tried way too hard to replicate the Harras era, I would not be satisfied.

#516247 04/04/07 10:59 PM
The only problem in working with John, is that his heart was never really in drawing super-heroes. Try as I might, I could never get him as interested in The Avengers as he was in Conan.

Hm. Perhaps Buscema's lack of excitement explains my own similar feelings about his second run.

#516248 04/05/07 12:06 AM
Speaking of artists, I reread AVENGERS # 120 last night, and it reminded me of how underrated Bob Brown was. Don Heck, who inked this issue, probably was not the best inker for Brown, but even so, Brown's considerable strengths shine through.

One particular strength is Brown's layouts, which always managed to be interesting and varied. Consider page 2, a "quiet" scene of Cornelius Van Lunt visiting Joshua Link in jail. The number of panels, their various sizes, and the use of shadow convey an ominous feeling that something bad is about to happen, yet it's very subtle.

Brown's figures also convey a sense of power without being too exaggerated. Look at Taurus' body language in the two-page spread (pp. 16-17): He looks confident and menacing, yet completely natural. And the sequence of Gemini dodging the Avengers only to be punched out by Thor (p. 10) is both fluid and graceful.

Brown also had a good eye for scenery: The shots from atop the World Trade Center on pages 26 and 30 capture both the majesty and the acrophobic feeling of great height.

Brown had his weaknesses, particularly women's faces, but his work stands up there with Perez and Buscema's early work in my eyes.

#516249 04/05/07 02:00 AM
Leader
Leader
My favorite ink jobs over Bob Brown were by Paul Gulacy on DAREDEVIL #108 (the 1st issue I bought new-- sadly, it was ALL DOWNHILL after that!!), and Dave Cockrum on AVENGERS #126 (featuring perhaps the sexiest Scarlet Witch I'd ever seen).

The 2nd half of his DD run was murdered (in my view) by the incessantly dark and nightmarish inks of Klaus Janson. When Jim Mooney filled in, it was a breath of fresh air, and one could see (or, one should have) that Brown & Janson-- in fact, Daredevil & Janson-- were just NOT a suitable match!!! And yet, Janson stayed and stayed... thru Kane (nightmare on top of nightmare), Infantino, MILLER (at last, a real kindred spirit, no wonder they worked so well together) and then, Janson. (Who the hell's idea was THAT?)

Tragically, Marvel's "fun" hero has been nightmarishly dark and downbeat EVER SINCE. (That's how I see it, anyway.)

#516250 04/05/07 09:02 PM
OP Offline
I've been thinking...history is sort of repeating itself with Bendis' Avengers:

- Disassembled was the Simonson era redux (callously tearing down what had come before.)

- New Avengers is the Byrne era redux (no structure, no focus, stories either drifting endlessly or ending anti-climatically)

- Mighty Avengers is the Hama era redux (trying to be all things to all people while at the same time reeking of a smug attitude -- the end result is so bad it's funny)

Which would mean that whoever replaces Bendis (yes, it'll probably take several years, but it'll happen eventually) will be the next Harras, which makes me happy (unless it turns out to be that hypothetical Harras imitator that I mentioned in a recent post.)

#516251 04/05/07 10:49 PM
I haven't read The Avengers in quite some time -- since # 19 of Busiek's run, in fact -- and, from the above descriptions, I can't say I miss it.

A friend did loan me the first seven issues of YOUNG AVENGERS last year. I thought it was fairly good, but unnecessary. Most spinoffs are.

However, this thread has prompted me to go back and re-read some earlier issues. I just finished the Trial of Henry Pym (# 227-230), which marked the beginning of Stern's run. This story line was well done and showed Stern to be a better writer than I remembered. The finale, with Hank saying goodbye to everyone, especially Jan, was deeply moving.

Therein, however, lies one of the problems I have with super-hero comics in general, and AVENGERS in particular: No one ever goes away for good.

Think of it: Hank Pym has been through a Goliath-sized wringer: His life has come undone by his own design (and then made even worse by Egghead) -- yet he manages to save the day, defeat Egghead, clear his name, and assert a new identity for himself: an identity that does not involve being a costumed hero. This transformation was utterly believable: Not everyone is cut out to be a super-hero. For Hank to finally admit that was probably one of the most heroic things he ever did.

So it pained me years later to pick up Busiek's AVENGERS and find out that Hank was Giant-Man once again. I have no idea how or why this happened. (I had stopped reading Volume One around # 378 or so.) But it was as if the previous years and all that Hank had gone through had been for nothing. And, somehow, he not only had gone back to being a costumed hero, but had also rekindled his relationship with Jan (or maybe this happened later; I don't care to remember). Although Hank and Jan were one of the cornerstone couples of the Marvel Universe, their relationship had ended. They forgave each other, yes, but that doesn't mean they should be together again.

I would rather have had Hank's story left as it ended in # 230: with him going off to a "Midwest research facility" and never setting foot in New York or Avengers Mansion ever again. I would have preferred it if he had never become Hank Pym, plainclothed adventurer (and Avenger) in AVENGERS and WCA. I would rather have believed that he had gone off to find happiness far removed from the life that had brought him so much pain and agony.

That, of course, would have been the "real world" outcome -- and there was a time when I actually believed that Marvel (moreso than DC) was concerned with creating "real world" super-heroes, who despite having powers, were first and foremost human beings. But nothing screams "THIS IS ONLY A COMIC BOOK" to me louder than characters who keep going back to being the way they used to be, with only a superficial nod at change.

I dunno. Perhaps I expected too much out of fictional characters.

#516252 04/05/07 11:46 PM
OP Offline
HWW, are you sure you stopped reading Volume One with # 378? Because Hank became Giant-Man again in # 366, written by Bob Harras, which I think is one of the best Avengers issues ever published. I'll use a spoiler box for the exact circumstances.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Firstly, I mean no disrespect to Stern's well-written story, but I personally could do with a little less of the real world in superhero comics, because I believe that superhero comics are, more than anything, wish-fulfillment to take us out of the real world for a short while. I respect that many readers prefer a more true-to-life approach, but that just doesn't work for me.

Hank's return as Giant-Man came about because the team was facing a major crisis (Kree invaders with a plan to destroy Earth) and needed all the help they could get (some key members had been taken hostage by the Kree.) And so Hank became Giant-Man again, even with the risk to his own health, with the most selfless of motivations -- to prevent the destruction of Earth. He then takes on a Kree Sentry who is trying to wreck the team's ship, and single-handedly defeats the Sentry. This is immediately followed by an exchange between Giant-Man and Captain America that puts it all in a nutshell:

GM: You know, I'd forgotten how exhilarating all this could be!

CA: But, Hank -- your heart...

GM: Cap, with the fate of the world in the balance, my health problems pale in significance, don't you think?

I think Hank WAS meant to be a superhero, he just wasn't ready for it the first time around. By giving him a second chance, Harras did what is, in my opinion, a fantastic job of bringing together all the stops and starts and stumbles in Hank's checkered history (and as Prof has pointed out earlier in this thread, a lot of this came from writers working at cross-purposes, specifically Claremont/Byrne and Shooter) and moving the character to the next level.

Subsequent writers, probably out of a mixture of ego and lack of inspiration, have messed up Hank all over again (and Millar's -- forgive the expression -- turd-polishing of Shooter's view of Hank in Ultimates hasn't helped at all.) And that's just the sad reality of multiple writers taking their turns on comic book characters.</span></span>

#516253 04/06/07 03:58 AM
Leader
Leader
My opinion... Shooter's insane rampages are just the sort of completely wrong-headed $#%* that deserves later writers contradicting the hell out of it. (Like EMERALD TWILIGHT. Sorry, couldn't help it.) Roger Stern hit the ground running with the beginning of one of the best runs in the books' history. HOWEVER... it also contained one of the few things in his entire run that really, REALLY rubbed me the wrong way, and has remained a serious sore point with me ever since. That is, him saying Hank & Jan were "never" right for each other. In the words of Pam Bouvier-- "B***S***!!!!!" This has always felt to me-- more than anything else-- as Stern following a editorial edict of Shooter's-- nothing less.

Meanwhile, I'm surprised that so few have reviewed WEST COAST AVENGERS yet. I'm kind of wondering... what does anyone think of Steve Englehart-- COMPLETELY out of left field, especially for him-- having Hank ATTEMPT SUICIDE????? Jesus...

Page 8 of 80 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 79 80

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,265
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Lightning Lad
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Surge Pack
Surge Pack
Portage IN
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star