Roll Call
1 members (thoth lad), 61 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/13/24 05:34 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 11:36 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 23 of 80 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 79 80
Re: The All Avengers Thread
#516604 02/09/10 07:28 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Any ideas who the second silhouette is?? Considering the quotation and the cape shape, I'm kinda thinking the Shroud ...?

The "adversity" silhouette I'm going to guess as Wonder Man

#516605 02/14/10 08:43 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The last silhouette seems like a no brainer for Steve Rogers -- but could it be a misdirect? There really seems like no way it's not him,but if not him, then who? And will he be taking a codename? From the silhouette, there might not even be a mask. And if is him, it definitely would seem to put to rest the notion that the Secret Avengers are some sort of Black Ops team a la X-Force. So what would make them so secret?

I'm going to guess that the Secret Avengers will be more like the originals in terms of operating outside the law as vigilantes and operating under their own direction whereas the main team will be public and under a stricter government umbrella.

#516606 02/17/10 05:17 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
OP Offline
Sorry I've been non-responsive, Drake, it's just that I'm more annoyed than intrigued by the ad campaign for Secret Avengers.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#516607 02/22/10 08:47 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm actually pretty excited about the Bendis / JR Jr. Avengers title based on the previews. Like I said, I love Romita Jr's work and it looks great here.

I agree with Drake that Bru has basically used Captain America lately as a spy-team series and if Secret Avengers is like that it should be great. Deodato's moody, heavily inked work (like in Dark Avengers) would be exciting but fitting. If the Falcon and Black Widow are in this title it could be really awesome. I do think agree Bru's Uncanny X-Men was his weakest attempt in a series thus far but I cut him some slack: I actually think he's the single best writer creating comics right now on a monthly basis.

BTW, I'm reading the Siege tie-in Dark Avengers issues with the Sentry. I think they're quite excellent. I believe we're heading towards the downfall of the Sentry once and for all; I want to see it because I've grown annoyed at him and I also think Bendis is crafting a great tale to get us there.

#516608 03/05/10 04:32 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
MIGHTY AVENGERS #34: Well, this one stunk. It's a SIEGE tie-in and features the team's confrontation with the Scarlet Witch-posing Loki. Pretty much all the work building up Pym comes to nothing, as here comes Thor to talk down to Hank and even side with Loki over his once-teammate... and that's after the obligatory Loki-misdirection-caused battle! Pym is smart enough to capture the God of Mischief, but lets him go and even offers him a spot on his Avengers rosters! The last prompts several existing Mighty Avengers to run for the hills, and who can blame them?

Blech. The dialogue wasn't even entertaining. Or the art. Just a misfire all the way around. There's still a couple of issues to go till the 'Avenger makeover', and the return of Ultron, but I'm afraid whatever good will might've been left for this run has now been used well and truly up.

#516609 03/05/10 05:46 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
yeah i avoid "tie ins". in general. when's the last time there was a good one?

#516610 03/07/10 01:24 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Hmmm-- Sometimes, though I admit it's few and far between, the tie-ins are better than the main event.

#516611 03/12/10 12:19 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Has anyone seen the teasers for "Avengers Academy?" First of all, bad enough they have a guy named "Reptil" who can turn his body into dinosaur parts even though the current scientific belief is that dinosaurs are more related to *BIRDS* than reptiles, now they have a girl named Hazmat who's costume is based on the symbol for radiation (great design, btw) but the logo with her name contains symbols for biohazardous materials. THEY'RE TWO SEPARATE THINGS!! It bothers me with that guy from the JSA too...

#516612 03/13/10 12:11 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^^^ Yes. Damage's bio-hazard symbol has annoyed me for a long time as well. That is not his power Mr Dumb Costume Designer. I also find it distracting because I've seen that symbol many times as a tattoo in the gay community - and Damage might be surprised to find out what it means here.

As for Reptil - I could be wrong, but didn't he have his origins in a cartoon or children's book or something. I remember hearing something like that somewhere.

#516613 03/13/10 08:58 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
[QB] Has anyone seen the teasers for "Avengers Academy?" First of all, bad enough they have a guy named "Reptil" who can turn his body into dinosaur parts even though the current scientific belief is that dinosaurs are more related to *BIRDS* than reptiles,
Thanks to Jurassic Park, pretty much everyone associates 'raptor' with dinosaurs instead of birds, so I'm surprised they didn't use that.

And then he could become a Speedster and call himself Veloci-Raptor!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#516614 03/13/10 10:29 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#516615 03/17/10 08:47 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Blacula:
^^^ Yes. Damage's bio-hazard symbol has annoyed me for a long time as well. That is not his power Mr Dumb Costume Designer. I also find it distracting because I've seen that symbol many times as a tattoo in the gay community - and Damage might be surprised to find out what it means here.

As for Reptil - I could be wrong, but didn't he have his origins in a cartoon or children's book or something. I remember hearing something like that somewhere.
ok i'll bite, what does it mean?

#516616 03/19/10 03:52 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Disaster Boy:
Originally posted by Blacula:
[b]^^^ Yes. Damage's bio-hazard symbol has annoyed me for a long time as well. That is not his power Mr Dumb Costume Designer. I also find it distracting because I've seen that symbol many times as a tattoo in the gay community - and Damage might be surprised to find out what it means here.

ok i'll bite, what does it mean? [/b]
The bio-hazard symbol? HIV+.

#516617 03/19/10 09:21 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
cheers, i was actually thinking something else. good to know.

so, looks like avengers is changing soon. the original band might be getting back together in siege.

not sure how i feel since the 'new avengers' is the most i've liked the avengers since buscema's art in the 80s. can't really see how a renegade second title 'new avengers' will survive if thor, cap, tony etc. have a legitimate avengers title.

just look at heroic age. hmmm, was thinking more of a cap, thor, wasp, jocasta maybe, and tony.

no ms marvel? no spider woman? and two gorillas.

'heroic age' but black widow can still carry a gun that's worth her weight.

#516618 03/19/10 10:48 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
There's going to be 4 Avengers titles. The one with the big three (though it might not be Steve as Cap). There'll be a new New Avengers title, mostly with the cast from the old New Avengers title (why they don't make this the Defenders is beyond me.)

Then there'll be Secret Avengers, which Marvel has advertisied with blacked out figures and a 'revealing' snippet of dialogue. Guesses for who some of the characters are in the light are Cap (Steve), War Machine, Scarlet Witch or Valkyrie, Beast, Moon Knight and just about every Marvel hero you can think of.

There's also an Avengers Academy title, with several brand new characters.

In addition, Young Avengers is supposed to have a miniseries coming out this summer, with a regular run following?

There were four Avengers titles before Heroic Age and there'll be at least four after it.

#516619 03/19/10 11:21 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
thanks mystery lad : )

i'm happy to hear young avengers will be back.

worried a bit about the schism between avengers and new avengers..

Defenders would be a good name, especially with Dr. Strage, i like seeing him integrated in the main MU.

sounds like secret avengers and new avengers might be conceptually very similar.

is it so wrong to want one good book with the big three, cap, hank, the spideys, ms. marvel, ronin, mockingbird, power man ?

#516620 03/19/10 11:23 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
double post!! bad internet connection bad!

#516621 03/19/10 03:43 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for the updates, Todd. I'm so not into the Avengers these days that I'm generally too lazy to post updates in this thread, unless it really pisses me off, like the Romita announcement.

I should be excited about the bi-monthly mini-series Avengers: Prime, since Alan Davis is drawing it. I'm an Alan Davis completist, so I'll buy it for sure. Unfortunately, Bendis is writing it, so it'll probably be all eye-candy with little or no substance.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#516622 03/25/10 07:10 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
While I plan to sample the various Avengers titles and give reviews (and its highly likely I'll collect Avengers, New Avengers and Secret Avengers), I remain as I always do these days by coming news: skeptical. laugh

What I can do, is review the current Avengers comics I'm reading of which there is only New Avengers. And #62, which wraps up a two-parter that is a kind of prelude/running along side Siege #1 & #2 was quite good. In fact, one of the better Avengers stories in awhile! While not ground-breaking it provided an excellent good ol'fashioned superheroes vs. super-villains battle that showcawed Cap's return to the team; it alos provided a Cap/Bucky team-up which we are for whatever reason not really getting much of yet. The Spider-Man / Spider-Woman team-up was fun, but what I really loved most of all was that Bendis actually provided a pretty awesome role for Mandrill, Griffen and the Living Lightning. Very glad to see him make use of them in ways other than giant splash pages and background players! Mandrill especially was pretty frightening. If Marvel could do any one thing in their upcoming "Heroic Age", it would be restore the seriousness and 'oomph' to their super-villains.

The final pages of #62 actually make a great lead-in to Siege #2 & #3, which I did not expect, revealing how the various heroes assembled come together.

#516623 03/28/10 08:45 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I stopped reading Avengers (and most comics really) during the Disassembled! storyline. And now with Janet Van Dyne dead, I plan to continue my boycott...

Touch the magic...
#516624 04/14/10 11:40 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
SECRET AVENGERS lineup revealed thus far:
- Beast
- War Machine
- Valkyrie
- Moon Knight

If I didn't know better, I'd think this is almost more of a "New Defenders" kinda team incorporated into the Avengers universe. Maybe it's the number of former Defenders or their relative power levels. I'm a big Moon Knight fan so looks like I'll be picking this up to try out....

#516625 04/14/10 12:01 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm a fan of all four characters so I'll definitely try it out. I also like Beast as an Avenger and it'd be nice to get him out of the X-Men for awhile.

Also glad to see Valkrye on a regular basis again.

And really glad to see Rhodey on a team, interacting with others beside Tony.

#516626 04/14/10 01:20 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I'm a big fan of the Beast and (at least some interprations of) the Valkyrie, so this is interesting news!

#516627 04/14/10 01:23 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Mattropolis:
I stopped reading Avengers (and most comics really) during the Disassembled! storyline. And now with Janet Van Dyne dead, I plan to continue my boycott...
The latest issue of Mighty Avengers (the Hank Pym-led team) has revealed that Jan's body is in a pocket dimension, and hinted that she's 'only mostly dead' (to steal a phrase from Princess Bride).

I strongly suspect that even if she isn't back next month, she'll be back long before the Avengers movie in 2011, as it might be awkward to introduce the sole founding female Avenger in that movie and then have to explain to the press that she's been killed off in the funny-books.

#516628 05/16/10 07:36 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Having read the final issue of New Avengers and then the annual-sized 'Finale' one-shot, I have to say I'm pretty impressed to the wrap-up of this series. Bendis really delivers an ending here that just felt 'right', bringing a sense of closure to the themes he's put forward over the last few years, while also making me excited for the new Avengers titles in the Heroic Age. I thought the Finale special was one of the best issues he's ever done.

I read through all of the Siege related Avengers stuff today and all in all, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I thought it put a great end to all of the mess that Civil War started in the MU, while wrapping up Dark Reign, the Sentry and so many other things.

Cap's back, Hawkeye is Hawkeye again, Iron Man, Thor and Cap will work together, and yet, so many others are going to be included as well. I like the inclusive nature to the coming Avengers events. It feels upbeat but without being overly 'sunny'.

I thought Brian Hitch's art in the Finale was much better than his Cap Reborn stuff and FF stuff. I guess they really let him take his sweet time putting it together and it showed. Too bad such a great artist (IMO) can't meet a deadline to save his life.

I also enjoyed the wrap-up to the Hood storyline. The Hood is exactly going to make my 'favorite top 50 Marvel villains of all time', but I did like his stature as the New Avengers top enemy during this era and Bendis was smart enough to finish his story off with the end of this volume of the title.

Page 23 of 80 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 79 80

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,257
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Faraway Lad, Kid Charlemagne
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star