Roll Call
0 members (), 58 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/13/24 04:23 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/13/24 05:34 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 34 of 80 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 79 80
Re: The All Avengers Thread
#516879 12/06/11 01:02 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

The Mighty Thor #445 (Operation Galactic Storm Part 7)

The Good - We pick up with the Shi'Ar bound group of Avengers as they come across a Shi'ar settlement under attack. Things then go from bad to worse.

Nice way to jump right into the thick of things. The issue is paced well, giving both Wonder Man and Thor get a shot at Gladiator. Thor finally emerges victorious and sends Gladiator on his way by throwing him through the stargate and closing it...trapping them here without a way home. The others are less than thrilled.

The Bad - Simon's attitude towards Thor in the beginning is childish, but then again Thor is being played very heavily as a hero that has no clue what he is really capable of. I understand the 'new hero' thing, but for a character like Thor, it seems a little out of place. Then again, I didn't read Thor much, so maybe it was better over the whole thing than it seems here.

The Ugly - Outside of everyone looking like they have their 'O' face on throughout half the panels, the art is decent.

Also, I haven;t seen dialog like this from a Hispanic character since Vibe...and this is not a good thing.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#516880 12/06/11 02:10 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

Captain America #399 (Operation Galactic Storm Part 8)

The Good - The plot continues apace, and the coordination between the writers of the various books really shined through as this saga moves along.

The Kree contingent is captive, but not for long as Sersi gets them out of this pickle.

...and someone is gathering a force to be reckoned with for the Kree.

The Bad - Not much outside of Tony's attitude. It's funny how rereading something years later, without the current context of what was happening to the characters at the time in their own books makes certain characters come across differently than it did back in the day. Without the knowledge of what Tony was going through leading up to this, he comes across very different.

The Ugly - Not much really. Art is competent, writing is good. Solid installment.

#516881 12/06/11 02:20 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
click to enlarge

The Mighty Thor #445 (Operation Galactic Storm Part 7)

The Good - We pick up with the Shi'Ar bound group of Avengers as they come across a Shi'ar settlement under attack. Things then go from bad to worse.

Nice way to jump right into the thick of things. The issue is paced well, giving both Wonder Man and Thor get a shot at Gladiator. Thor finally emerges victorious and sends Gladiator on his way by throwing him through the stargate and closing it...trapping them here without a way home. The others are less than thrilled.

The Bad - Simon's attitude towards Thor in the beginning is childish, but then again Thor is being played very heavily as a hero that has no clue what he is really capable of. I understand the 'new hero' thing, but for a character like Thor, it seems a little out of place. Then again, I didn't read Thor much, so maybe it was better over the whole thing than it seems here.

The Ugly - Outside of everyone looking like they have their 'O' face on throughout half the panels, the art is decent.

Also, I haven;t seen dialog like this from a Hispanic character since Vibe...and this is not a good thing.
Hmm I'd like to see a Thor / Gladiator battle. I'd put money on Gladiator though.

Which Hispanic character ?

#516882 12/06/11 02:30 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:
Avengers West Coast #80

To the "ugly"...snip...and the very presence of Living Lightning, whom I've always found an offensive stereotype.
This would be the one.

#516883 12/06/11 03:09 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
ahhh ... yeah I've only got one comic with him in it, and I don't think he gets one whole sentence ... maybe a few words. and he lights something up ...

during the fight with the spider team.

I like his powers though.

#516884 12/06/11 03:56 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:
I liked this issue more than you, Dev. This was the beginning of Len Kaminski's run on Iron Man, which I consider the most underrated Iron Man of all time. Even at this point, I think Kaminski's already showing a knack for tightly plotted hi-tech thrillers. But, like you said in a post above, different strokes.
I also really enjoyed it when it was coming out (have not reread since). In fact, Iron Man and Hulk were my two favorite non-team Marvel Comics during this era.

#516885 12/06/11 04:12 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

Avengers West Coast #81 (Operation Galactic Storm Part 9)

The Good - We get to see what's happening back on Earth. Problem is, it's mostly in fighting until some Imperial Guard members show up to rescue their captive members.

Which they do, and they also get Capt. Atlas by using Chameleon Bo---I mean Hobgoblin impersonating Dr. Minerva.

The Bad - Lots and lots of cliched dialog. I love Roy (and Dann) Thomas, but some of this was pretty cheesy.

The Ugly - US Agent hitting on Mockingbird, and her putting him in his place right before they got clobbered by Shadow La---crap, I mean Nightside.

#516886 12/06/11 04:42 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Power Boy:
ahhh ... yeah I've only got one comic with him in it, and I don't think he gets one whole sentence ... maybe a few words. and he lights something up ...

during the fight with the spider team.

I like his powers though.
I like that he's gay, as was revealed in the GREAT LAKES AVENGERS miniseries.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#516887 12/06/11 04:52 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

Quasar #33 (Operation Galactic Storm Part 10)

The Good - Lot of stuff happening in between Quasar fighting with various Imperial Guard members. Bands are sent to the Shi'Ar empire. Capt. Atlas is thrown around like a football in a championship game...he goes from captive to rescued to captive again.

It was nice to see Binary again.

The Bad - Not bad bad, but the Legion of Super Lackeys was a pretty 'bad' pun.

The Ugly - The art is extremely uneven. The totally non believable pose he has Lilandra on page 26 is laughable at best...strike a pose.

#516888 12/06/11 05:02 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
OP Offline
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Thor #445

I don't like DeFalco's writing. Everybody's in hysterics, and Oliffe's art just makes everyone look even more hysterical. The battle promised on the cover is a wet firecracker.

Captain America #399

This one doesn't do much more than move the plot along. I have no problem with Tony's attitude, and I hate the "influenced by Immortus" retcon.

West Coast Avengers #81

Roy and Dann Thomas just seemed to have complete contempt for this event, and it's not like the stories they were telling independent of it were anything special. I especially dislike when Nightside says something like, "Admittedly, my power is not very impressive. That's why I carry a gun."

Quasar #33

Despite the weak art (shame that Capullo didn't draw this or #34) I like this issue. It's colorful and has a lot of things going on at once.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#516889 12/06/11 05:21 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Totally agree on the whole Immortus retcon Fickles (There, Lardy should be happy.) Well, the less said about that whole debacle the better.

Yeah, these issues seem to just plod along serving the plot...setting things up for the final run. Middle of the crossover even problems, but at least they move the event along unlike some middle issues of more recent events that just stagnate in themselves.

#516890 12/06/11 05:34 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

Wonder Man #8 (Operation Galactic Storm Part 11)

The Good - Ummm...The Starjammers listen to reason and do not take the Nega Bomb to the Kree Galaxy.

The art is nice too.

The Bad - Simon is a jack-hole here for the majority of the issue. I like the character, and a little angst with him is alright now and then,. but the way they have him constantly pining away over Wanda drove me nuts.

The Ugly - Simon's attitude.

#516891 12/06/11 05:41 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Total side step for me right now...but:

BENDIS IS GOING TO LEAVE THE AVENGERS IN 2012!!!!!!

http://blog.newsarama.com/2011/12/06/bendis-says-hes-leaving-the-avengers-in-2012/

yay...

#516892 12/06/11 06:16 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Fanfie and I were just speculating that he might leave. I'm looking forward to what's next!

#516893 12/06/11 06:24 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Totally agree on the whole Immortus retcon Fickles (There, Lardy should be happy.)
laugh :nod laugh nod

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#516894 12/06/11 06:25 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
<strike>Fanfie</strike> [b]Fickles and I were just speculating that he might leave. I'm looking forward to what's next![/b]
laugh

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#516895 12/06/11 06:49 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

Avengers #346 (Operation Galactic Storm Part 12)

"Oh my stars and garters!" The Beast (on any number of occasions.)

The Good - The whole thing moves at a wonderful pace as the heroes are on the verge of defeat by Starforce. Deathbird makes her move and the Supreme Intelligence once more takes power in the wake of her assassinations. Then...the reveal on the last page...oh dear!

Avengers not seeing eye to eye on how to handle their situation...this could lead to trouble later. wink

One other nice touch is that Iron Man and Clint did not ride in at the last second to save the day.

Another thing of note...this is about the 2/3rds mark of the crossover, and things are all in place for the final gambits. Beautiful plotting and storytelling here folks. S0o very well laid out.

The Bad - Nothing bad about this issue for me.

The Ugly - Nothing.

#516896 12/06/11 07:41 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

Iron Man #279 (Operation Galactic Storm Part 13)

The Good - We wrap up a good portion of the Kree Avengers fate in this issue, at least all but Cap are accounted for.

Clint gets to do something this time around, and finds Deathbird and frees the others (sans Cap...gotta leave something for his big issue coming up.)

The Bad - I don't dislike Tony here, but he is a bit of a dick to Clint, but it's not like Clint doesn't deserve it most of the time...he is pretty bull-headed.

The Ugly - I just cannot get into this version of the armor...but I say that a lot in these...

#516897 12/06/11 08:28 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

The Mighty Thor #446 (Operation Galactic Storm Part 14)

The Good - This is better than the last Thor issue. The Avengers are able to help save Lilandra from the Starforce's assassination attempt.

Lilandra realizes what she has done and orders the Nega Bomb be brought back...but there's a problem with that...the Skrulls have hold of it at this point/

The Bad - Thor is a complete dufus.

The Ugly - Not much really. Story is a good wrap to this part of the event...although more is to come, at least the misunderstanding is out of the way.

#516898 12/06/11 08:54 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

Captain America #400 (Operation Galactic Storm PArt 15)

The Good - Ummm...not much really.

The Bad - This is Caps 400th issue, and most of it is a 'hallucination' brought about by the Supreme Intelligence. They're in the middle of a galactic war and that is the best that they could come up with. It really all amounts to Cap being knocked out...hallucination...and then being knocked off of something, which makes no real sense because he was in a room at the time. Oh, and the Avengers feel bad.

The Ugly - US Agent and Falcon go on a mission to rescue D-Man. Really? This is the best they could do for Caps big 400?

#516899 12/06/11 09:19 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

I think Fickles is right in thinking that Roy and Dann hated having to participate in this crossover.

The Good - We find out that the one giving Lilandra advice is a Skrull.

The Bad - Inane dialog and actions that lead to yet another round between the Avengers and the Legio...I mean the Imperial Guard. ...and my God do they all write Thor as a complete idiot. The character learns nothing from his experiences...like things that happened a day or so ago. Whatever.

The Ugly - It's drawn alright...the story leaves a bit to be desired.

#516900 12/06/11 09:33 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
The Ugly - I just cannot get into this version of the armor...but I say that a lot in these...
Just remember <strike>if you wonder how he eats and breathes and other scien--</strike>, it's Space Armour, not his standard armour of the time!

[Also, I wondered last time I read this if any of the writers except Kamanski actually knew Tony was dying...]

This is the best they could do for Caps big 400?
Well, of course, it isn't really his 400th. Depending on how you count it, it's actually one from #301, #342, #379 or #420 wink

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#516901 12/06/11 09:37 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
YEah, I know it's his space armor...I just think the thing is ugly. I do remember that he was dying at this point, and I think you may be right about nobody else really knowing (or at least caring for this story.)

Re: Cap 400 - rassin frassin kids nowadays. It still say 400 on the cover...now get off my lawn!!!

lol

#516902 12/06/11 09:40 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

Quasar #34 <Mine says #3 on the cover - I seem to remember there being a reason for this...but I do not remember why> (Operation Galactic Storm Part 17)

The Good - The sun is saved!!!

The Bad - The Nega Bomb is on to the Kree Galaxy. Binary is hurt saving the sun.

The Ugly - While the art is still a bit wonky, it's better than last issue, and has a really odd JRJr vibe happening.

#516903 12/06/11 10:33 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
click to enlarge

Wonder Man #9 (Operation Galactic Storm Part 18)

The Good - The Avengers (sans Cap) are back together...for the most part.

The Bad - The Vision turns into a sacrifice billions to save Earth kind of guy here...huh? I realize they took the emotion chip out, but c'mon.

Oh yeah, the bomb blows up.

The Ugly - As much as I do like Jeff's art, there are some ugly panels here and there.

Page 34 of 80 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 79 80

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,259
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Faraway Lad, Kid Charlemagne
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Straya
Straya
Oklahoma City, OK
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star