Roll Call
0 members (), 46 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Gaseous Lad - 05/13/24 04:44 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 05/13/24 04:40 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/13/24 05:34 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 28 of 55 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 54 55
Re: Dieters Support Thread
#526104 07/26/07 12:55 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Congrats on what you've achieved, KC. That's really great!

I did some reading on BMI after I posted this and, while it can indeed be useful, it is widely criticized for just the reasons you mention.

The things some companies do to save a few bucks! sigh My employer does make smokers pay a higher rate for insurance (I am not a smoker), but requiring a class for weight management for someone who clearly does not need it seems very unfair. There are better ways of encouraging people to be healthy.

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#526105 07/27/07 03:40 PM
Deputy
Deputy
That bites, KC! Here you should be leading weight-loss efforts at your employer.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#526106 07/29/07 06:08 PM
Active
Active
Very happy..No, hell I am thrilled to report that I lost 5 pounds this week and Scott lost another 2 pounds!!! I never, ever thought I could give up the regular sodas, or stop using cream and sugar in my coffee or my favorite things in the world, the flavored creamers with chocolate. But I have!!! Every week that goes by I miss these things less and less. I have finally stopped craving my three times a week giant frozen chocolate coffees from Starbucks. If I go get one now, I would get one made with the sugar-free syrups and skim milk. When Scott started watching his blood sugar in May, I was still sneaking Cokes while he was at work. But I felt so guilty, and eventually so stupid for being stubborn, that I quit and switched to Diet Coke with Splenda. It took adding lemon juice or lime juice for me to stand the taste, but I kept making myself drink it. We even tossed two twelve packs of Coke in the trash rather then leave them around for me to be tempted. Stopping all but natural sugar in plain, raw fruits, from entering my body is actually changing my whole metabolism. I feel free now I guess. Free to see the possibility of a healthier body for the rest of my life. It's an amazing feeling. I know I will always be a BBW (big beautiful woman, hah!) but I now feel I will be a slimmer and more healthy big gal with a helluva lot more energy and a better attitude.

I owe all of this to Scott. His instantaneous commitment to change after the doctor told him about his diabetes and blood pressure has truely been amazing and I am just in awe of his willpower and determination.

Cheers to all of us in this constant struggle! I really fear the trend of big business, insurance companies, and our government to in effect punish people for obesity and to force us to lose weight or be without insurance or bonuses, or airline seats, or seats in public places and sports arenas, etc. This is a personal and very complicated battle and not 'being lazy' or being 'ignornant' or anything for debate and decisions made by corporations and politicians as blanket rules. So let's try to take comfort and support from each other and just take it day by day and be good to ourselves and not beat ourselves up. (Amen, hah!) Big hugs to every one of you! smile

#526107 07/29/07 07:48 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Hugs to YOU, Caroline! Good for you! I'm so glad Scott's efforts have motivated you to join him in the "never-ending struggle"! hug

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#526108 07/29/07 11:52 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
BouncingBoy All right, Caroline! I'm very proud of you!

This morning one of my friends, one who keeps himself in really good shape, complimented me on what I've done and how proud he is of me. That meant a lot to me. smile

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#526109 07/31/07 06:41 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Yesterday, I bought running shoes for the first time since 1983. I ran to the subway this morning from my house (1.5 miles). I hope my pall bearers appreciate my effort to lighten their load.

I only need to grow one more inch taller to reach a "normal" BMI.

#526110 07/31/07 08:30 PM
Deputy
Deputy
That's awesome, Caroline! You and Scott are a very inspirational duo.

I managed to lose another pound this week, which I am delighted by, since the week included a visit to the Chicago Simpson's Kwik-E-Mart for a Squishee, lunch at a Lithuanian restaurant and my wife's birthday dinner at the neighborhood Italian joint.

Caroline, I agree that I am not missing things I thought I couldn't do without. I do so love cheese, but I haven't missed it as much as I thought I would.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#526111 08/01/07 09:28 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
I weighed in this morning at 190: Same as last week. This is only the second time since I've been on WW that I haven't lost any weight. Of course, it was also the only week I ever maxed out my weekly points. shrug

At least I haven't gained any. smile

#526112 08/01/07 10:19 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Saturn Girl:
I never, ever thought I could give up the regular sodas [...]

I have finally stopped craving my three times a week giant frozen chocolate coffees from Starbucks. [...]

When Scott started watching his blood sugar in May, I was still sneaking Cokes while he was at work. But I felt so guilty, and eventually so stupid for being stubborn, that I quit and switched to Diet Coke with Splenda. [...]

I owe all of this to Scott. His instantaneous commitment to change after the doctor told him about his diabetes and blood pressure has truely been amazing and I am just in awe of his willpower and determination.
I went from 5 or 6 cokes a day to zero on Easter Sunday 2006. The turning point for me was my daughter's taking an interest in my coke. I couldn't stand the hypocrisy of saying "no, it's not good for you."

I gave up my 3 or 4 humongous frozen mocha coffee drinks Easter 2007, plus almost all sweetened soft drinks. I still have a bottled white tea every other day or so. This was easier than I thought it would be. The $5/day saving was motivational as was my memory of an older co-worker saying about 15 years ago that I'd put on 25 pounds by the time he retired. He retired two weeks ago and I was about 15 pounds heavier than when he made the remark.

You and Scott keep up the hard work. We want you healthy and posting for another 50 years or so. (When you're in your 90's you can slack off a little.) You're both inspirational.

Hope I meet you one day -- maybe I'll be wearing my size 30 501's from high school. You'll recognize me by the bulging eyes and slightly bluish tint to my skin.

#526113 08/06/07 07:39 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Weighed myself this morning and I was plesaantly surprised to note that I had lost 7 lbs since my last weigh in.

That's 35 pounds since June. I just need to lose another 30 or so to hit my target.

*is all hopeful* laugh

#526114 08/06/07 02:02 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Another week and another pound lost. May have been 1.5 pounds, but I'll bank the 0.5 for next week in case I need it. It's amazing to actually look forward to getting on the scale.

#526115 08/06/07 02:44 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Bought a second pair of running shorts.

Ran from home to nearest subway stop this morning and got off one stop before my office -- so to the unaided eye, it looked as if I had run all the way from home. Still a long way to go before I run the whole commute, but I'm closing in slowly.

I'm sort of enjoying running -- especially wearing the flimsy running shorts.

No appreciable weight loss in the past few days, but I've convinced myself it's because of the massive muscle build-up in my (aching) thighs.

#526116 08/06/07 03:20 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Parked in the North 40 of the parking lot this morning and trekked my way to the door, carrying my satchel with two liters of water. And my back wasn't locked up by the time I reached my office. Used to be I couldn't walk from one of the front spots to the front door before my back gave out.

Lost another 2 pounds this week, 44 total since mid-May. Another six to go to hit my first goal (of 12/31) then another 50 after that by SDCC '08. But I think I'll settle for another 25 so I'm not too disappointed.

#526117 08/06/07 05:10 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Way to go, Scott! laugh

Think we'll need to install straps in the showers at San Diego so we don't slide down the drains? laugh laugh

#526118 08/07/07 12:25 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Yay, Scott! You are just awesome!

And leave it to Lad Boy! Who else could make dieting sound so--interesting? wink

#526119 08/08/07 09:26 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Two more pounds off! I weighed in at 188, which gives me 18 pounds left to lose. I've lost 49 so far.

Now I'm trying to think about exercise. I have a gym membership that I never use. My schedule is not always predictable. I'm thinking of taking up jogging again. I've done well with it before. If I write about it here, I'll probably at least start looking into it. laugh

#526120 08/08/07 10:31 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Way to go John! It makes me cringe to think I weigh nearly twice as much as you do though.

If you go do the exercise it'll make it a lot easier from what I've heard. I figure after I hit my first milestone I may be able to get a good regimen going myself. But no gyms for me. I'd rather just walk around the block with Caroline.

#526121 08/08/07 10:52 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
I've been walking a lot myself. Hyvvie and I take at least two 20-minute walks every day. Having a dog is a great incentive for walking. Krypto

He may enjoy coming along for a jog too. We'll see.
smile

And don't worry about who weighs what. The important thing is we all weigh less than we did when we started posting to this thread! laugh

#526122 08/08/07 10:54 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I survived a week of running as part of my commute-- longest running distance so far is about 1.5 miles. My thighs no longer feel like they've been subjected to a medieval torture device.

Starting next week, I up the running part of the commute to about 2 miles -- my goal is to eventually run the whole 6 mile trip one way each day.

Ok, "running" may be a slight exaggeration of my pace.

#526123 08/09/07 10:20 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Ran the whole DC part of the commute today -- 2.8 miles. I'm lightheaded, dehydrated and begging for merciful Death.

Maybe I'll just go get a big iced, unsweetened coffee.
Originally posted by Blue Battler:
Way to go, Scott! laugh

Think we'll need to install straps in the showers at San Diego so we don't slide down the drains? laugh laugh
...but doesn't everyone have straps in their showers for . . .never mind.

#526124 08/12/07 10:01 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
I'm not quite up to that yet, but I upped my 20 minutes of walking with Hyvvie this morning to 30 minutes of brisk walking. It's a step towards running/jogging, though we may wait till September to start that so it's not quite so hot in the mornings.

I sure wish the human (and canine) body were low-maintenance. wink

#526125 08/13/07 07:40 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Heh, you and me both, Rock. ;-)

But I lost another 3 lbs since my last weigh in!

laugh

#526126 08/13/07 10:39 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Way to go, Battler! smile

Of course, the fact that Houston is having its first really hot weather of the summer--we topped 100F yesterday for the first time, through in the humidity and well, it's not pretty--hasn't made the exercising any easier. Fortunately, we only do our walking in the morning or evening, so it's not quite that bad.

#526127 08/13/07 05:13 PM
Deputy
Deputy
My weekly weigh-in this morning revealed 272, -2 pounds since last week, -20 pounds since I started WW 11 weeks ago. That's an average of 1.8 pounds per week. I'm just amazed. I feel like if I can lose 20 pounds, I can lose the 100 I have targeted. I thought this would be insurmountably hard, but it's turned out to be well within my grasp. I didn't think I would have the willpower, but every week my will gets a little stronger.

#526128 08/15/07 10:00 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
I weighed in this morning and have, as of today, lost 51 pounds! I got my 50-pound star on WeightWatchers.com!

Next week will be six months since I started.

Sixteen pounds to go! Woohoo!

Page 28 of 55 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 54 55

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,261
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Faraway Lad, Kid Charlemagne
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Straya
Straya
Oklahoma City, OK
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star