Roll Call
0 members (), 10 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Set - 04/30/24 01:04 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/30/24 12:48 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/30/24 12:47 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/30/24 12:46 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
Annfie's Legion (and Non-Legion) fan art
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 11:08 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:38 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: FL revisits The Transformers' post-animated-movie episodes
#528294 07/10/11 08:19 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
OP Offline
EPISODE 3.29, "THE RETURN OF OPTIMUS PRIME PART 1"

Written by: Marv Wolfman & Cherie Wilkerson

Plot: Two space explorers save Optimus Prime's body before his ship detonates (see "Dark Awakening", its place in continuity now retroactively moved.) Their ship carries with it spores which induce mindless hatred and violence in both organic creatures and robots (?????) A foolish vendetta against all Transformers results in the spores infecting almost all Transformers, and soon most humans as well. Before Rodimus is infected, he commands Sky Lynx to find a Quintesson, the only ones capable of resurrecting Optimus Prime. The operation is a success, but now Optimus has a great challenge ahead of him.

Review: This plotting of this installment just reeks of seat-of-the-pants desperation. I have nothing against bringing Optimus back, even if it does invalidate the magnificent "Dark Awakening," but it could have been done much better. At least there are some well-animated action sequences, especially the Technobots/Terrorcons battle.

EPISODE 3.30, "THE RETURN OF OPTIMUS PRIME PART 2"

Written by: Michael Charles Hill, from a story by Cherie Wilkerson & Marv Wolfman

Plot: In order to stop the plague, Optimus must first ally himself with Galvatron, then battle Rodimus for possession of the Autobot Matrix. Order is restored, and the Autobots and Decepticons temporarily cease hostilites.

Review: A big improvement on Part 1, and I'm guessing it's thanks to Michael Charles Hill re-writing of what must have been a mess of an original script. And there's some very good animation here as well, especially the attacks by the giant spider and the energy leeches. Still, I think one's reaction to this episode will depend on whether or not they object to the very concept of bringing Optimus back. I have to say that, ultimately, it works for me. At the end, when he says, "Transform and roll out," my heart skips a beat.

NEXT: The three-part series finale, "THE REBIRTH."

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#528295 07/15/11 06:05 PM
OP Offline
EPISODE 4.1, "THE REBIRTH PART 1"

Written by: David Wise

Plot: The Decepticon's steal the Autobots' key to the plasma energy chamber in Cybertron. The pursuit of the key leads Autobots and Decepticons alike to the planet Nebulos. The mechanical/organic synergy is the crucial element to the Autobots coming out ahead.

Review: Not a bad start, although it goes downhill steeply from here. Also, despite holding over a lot of Season 3 characters, there seems to be a concerted effort to make this series finale special lighter in tone than Season 3, right down to bringing back Season 2 mainstay David Wise to pen the script. Unfortunately, budget cuts forced Wise to compress his inital 5-part story into 3 parts, with disastrous results. Due to the same budget cuts, Akom animated the special. It's not their worst work, and there's even the occassional well-done action sequence or the odd splash of bright colors -- but it's still not Toei.

EPISODE 4.2, "THE REBIRTH PART 2"

Plot: Good and evil Nebuloids interface with Autobots and Decepticons alike, creating Headmasters and Targetmasters.

Review: A real clunker, low on action and high on stilted introductions to characters that will ultimately go nowhere.

EPISODE 4.3, "THE REBIRTH PART 3"

Plot: The final showdown on Cybertron ends with the Decepticons sent free-falling through space aboard their battleship and Cybertron having its energy resources restored. The new Golden Age of Cybertron has begun.

Review: Overall, "The Rebirth" just gets worse every time I watch it. Among many other sins, writer Wise forgets that Galvatron is crazy but NOT stupid (and, to add insult to injury, he has actually has another character call Galvatron an idiot.) But ultimately, I understand that Wise had the thankless task of introducing a whole year's worth of toys in only three episodes, ending the show not on a note of transcendent joy but with a crass whimper. Sad.

I hope this thread has inspired at least a few people to search YouTube or wherever for the best Season 3 episodes, like "Dark Awakening," "Dweller in the Depths," "Webworld," "Chaos," or "Ghost in the Machine," among others. From what I've read on the internet, Seasons 3 and 4 are not a part of the Transformers reruns in current rotation. That's truly a shame, as I feel that some of the finest Transformers episodes came out of Season 3, and I don't want to see them neglected to the point of entering oblivion. Transformers Season 3 dared to try something different, dared to expect that its audience was growing up along with the show. I know I felt that way at the time and I loved the results. Hopefully in a modern-day context of grown-up viewers no longer shocked by its radicalism, and of tween and teen viewers with minds opened by the advances in animation over the past 25 years, Season 3 will become better appreciated over the years to come.

#528296 12/02/11 03:55 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Not sure what episodes he is watching (not paying that close attention) but Jon is loving the Generation 1 marathon on the HUB right now.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#528297 12/02/11 04:43 PM
OP Offline
I'm glad Jon's enjoying it. Unfortunately, there are no Season 3 episodes in the current G1 rerun package. frown

On the other hand, I think Jon's way too young to watch Season 3 anyway. It might scare him.

Hannah, on the other hand, is about the perfect age for Season 3. Dev, how about if you let her look at this thread and, if she's interested, you could help her find Season 3 episodes on YouTube or wherever?

Oh, one other thing. If you're still thinking of buying one of the TF DVD sets when money permits, go for Season 2 Part 1. You get the best value for your money, as it has 28 episodes to Part 2's 21 episodes. Plus, most of the best Season 2 episodes are on Part 1 anyway.

#528298 12/02/11 06:17 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I grew up with Paul Dini's works (along with way too much anime) so I would like to watch Episode 18. If I have a general knowledge of the Transformers will I understand what is going on, or should I watch the previous episode?

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
#528299 12/02/11 06:27 PM
OP Offline
Yay Emily!

All of the single-part episodes stand on their own without the need to see earlier episodes. So you can jump right into Episode 18.

Happy viewing!

#528300 04/28/12 03:02 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Transformers are on Netflix now!!! All 4 seasons, Jon (and I) are going to be busy.

G.I. Joe's first season is also there! w00t!

#528301 04/28/12 05:52 PM
OP Offline
Awesome!!

Just some advice: be careful what you let Jon watch of Season 3. For example, if he really loves Optimus Prime as you say he does, then I think he'd probably be upset by "Dark Awakening" (great episode though it is.)

#528302 04/28/12 06:03 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'll watch that one first. He did okay with the newest show and Optimuses turn to the dark side for a few episodes. As well as the episodes with Bumblebee in trouble. Usually if I assure him everything will be alright, he;s good. But I will watch it first to be sure.

Just saw that they have Jem and the Holograms on here as well. I love Netflix.

#528303 04/28/12 06:06 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Or, we may stop at season 2 until he's older.

we'll see.

#528304 10/12/12 07:53 PM
OP Offline
It is my sad duty to announce that Ken Sansom, the voice actor who played Hound on the original Transformers cartoon, has passed away at the age of 85. Hound was my favorite of the first wave of Autobots, and Samson's gentle, good-natured voice acting was one of the main reasons.

Thanks for bringing joy to so many people. R.I.P.

Fanfic Lady #854846 06/16/15 12:14 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Cell-Shaded G1 Transformers fighting game announced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ09Vuj4cSo#t=27

Fanfic Lady #854851 06/16/15 12:24 PM
OP Offline
Even though I'm not a gamer, I do appreciate you bumping this thread, Dave. Funnily enough, I was planning to add some reviews to its sister thread this week.

Fanfic Lady #884489 01/08/16 06:13 AM
OP Offline
I was thinking earlier today about how most Season 3 haters complain about bad Akom animation. Well, I just went over the list of episodes in this thread, and IMHO the quality ratio of below-average animation to adequate-to-great animation is exactly 50-50. Just more proof that Season 3 gets a bad rap.

I really do hope this thread has led at least a few 40-and-over people to re-evaluate Season 3, and a few young people to watch Season 3 without preconceptions.

Fanfic Lady #1017841 08/21/22 03:35 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
EPISODE 3.11, "WEBWORLD"

Written by: Len Wein & Diane Duane

Plot: With Galvatron becoming an increasing danger to the other Decepticons, a desperate Cyclonus follows a Quintesson's advice and takes Galvatron to the psychotherapists' planet Torqulon. After several disastrous attempts at therapy, the doctors try their most drastic measure: having the planet's core computer absorb Galvatron's consciousness. But before the process can be completed, the computer is infected with Galvatron's madness and the planet begins to self-destruct. Galvatron destroys the computer, and then finishes off the process of destroying the planet.

Review: Depending on one's sense of humor, this episode could either be seen as tasteless and offensive, or clever and hilarious. I favor the latter view. This episode, with its overtones of satire, has Steve Gerber's sensibility all over it. Every time I watch it, I end up rooting for Galvatron despite myself. There's no way they could get away with an episode like this in a modern-day cartoon, and I think that's a shame.

So...I recently made a Millennial co-worker a Transformers best-of list spanning all four seasons. And after I'd already given it to him, I looked over the rough draft, and discovered that I had overlooked "Webworld!" At first I was shocked and bewildered. Then I had to wonder if maybe, as I get older, the darkly funny nihilism of that episode is no longer to my taste. I still love Season Three overall, but not in quite the same way, I suppose.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Fanfic Lady #1020083 11/06/22 01:23 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
RIP Danny Bulanadi, a storyboard artist during this season of Transformers. He also did a lot of comics art for Marvel, usually as an inker.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,006
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Blacula
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
baycent54
baycent54
Michigan
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star