Roll Call
1 members (Chaim Mattis Keller), 27 Murran Spies, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/08/24 03:49 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/08/24 03:24 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18
Legion World College GameWeek
#535099 08/27/05 10:38 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
And everyone else. laugh

It's that time of year again, guys and gals... it's time for crisp Saturday fall mornings, tailgating outside the stadiums... Corso and Herbstreit on GameDay... fourth and inches... third and long... West Coast offenses... the return of Steve Spurrier... and the question on everyone's mind... can USC do it again and become the greatest squad in college football history?

It's time for the classic rivalries to line up and square off to win bragging rights for another year... Texas vs. Oklahoma vs. Texas A&M, Michigan vs. Ohio State, Miami vs. Florida State (maybe TWICE), Alabama vs. Tennessee, Georgia vs. Auburn, USC vs. Notre Dame... the list goes on and on.

It's COLLEGE FOOTBALL time again, y'all. I've been waiting 9 months for this week, and I. AM. PUMPED.

So this week, of course there's the showdown between the 'Canes and the 'Noles. And a big cross-country matchup between Georgia and Boise State. Who thinks the Dawgs saw this one being this big when they scheduled it a few years ago?

And then of course there's the ongoing questions for this year... Urban Meyer and Les Miles inherit tons of talent at Florida and LSU this year from previous coaches... is LSU returning to the BCS championship? Purdue gets a Big 10 schedule with neither Michigan NOR Ohio State on it this year... could they sneak in for the Big 10 championship? Experts predict that this is Texas's year against Oklahoma finally, but will they figure out a way to win the game they just can't seem to ever win?

And here's my brash prediction for this year... the SEC west will be decided by the LSU-Alabama game... and Alabama's gonna take it home. laugh

Roll Tide!!!!!

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
Re: Legion World College GameWeek
#535100 08/27/05 10:45 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Yep. Syracuse will suck again this year.

That's all I have on College Football.

#535101 08/27/05 10:46 PM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
*sigh* My college doesn't have a football team. I'm so sad. I miss it like no other. frown frown frown

#535102 08/28/05 02:34 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
please lets us beat OU this year.

Texas also plays the Buckeyes -Ohio State- for the first time. Playing Texas Tech at home is good but it could get scary rolling into A&M being the possible number one in the nation.

College Football is the best!

#535103 08/28/05 05:02 AM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
And here's my brash prediction for this year... the SEC west will be decided by the LSU-Alabama game... and Alabama's gonna take it home. laugh

Roll Tide!!!!!
Alabama?? You must be kidding!

/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
Just kidding KP! laugh

My predictions: SEC

I actually think 'Bama's got a great shot this year. I don't think LSU will be contending though, not this year but watch out in the future. I suspect the west will come down to Alabama-Auburn as it often does. Vee's pick - 'Roll Tide!

As for the SEC east...tough call. Urban Meyer has tons of talent to work with at Florida but I think they'll be a year from being great because of the mess Ron Zook left behind there. So I'll say the east will come down to Tennessee-Georgia.

Vee's pick - And the title match will be between 'Bama and....

/
/
/
/
Georgia! With 'Bama finally reclaiming the SEC crown it use to OWN.

Big 12

In the North: My how the mighty have fallen! Nebraska, who used to be the annual crown beared won't even be a contender. This one will come down to Colorado and Iowa State. Iowa State? Yep, the Cyclones are for real fellow footfball fans. Can they take out the ogres of Boulder? That remains to be seen but I think they have a shot at it. Keep an eye on Mizzou also. So much potential there waiting to gel. If it does, they could be surprise of the league.

Vee's pick - Iowa State

In the South, there're lots of potential winners: Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A & M, and Texas Tech will all contend. Oklahoma will be the biggest surprise because...they won't win the division much less the conference! Which means we may actually have a year where Oklahoma doesn't get to play in a title game which it doesn't deserve! laugh

Vee's pick: Texas because it has most of the big games at home with the exception of A & M.

Vee's Pick for Big 12 Champion: I have to go with Texas though I really think Iowa State will give them a real run for their money.

Big 10

This one could be one of the most dramatic races this year. Four contenders with great shots at the title...Michigan, Ohio State, Purdue, and Iowa, with Wisconsin lurking in 5th and ready to pounce. Since they don't all play against each other, this race comes down to the luck of the draw (scheduling). Everyone has Michigan winning the title but I see the following. While they don't play Purdue, they DO play at Wisconsin early and at Iowa and have to face Ohio State at the end. Ohio State also doesn't see Purdue this year and gets an away game at Michigan but plays Iowa at home. They also face San Diego State and Texas at home which could both be tough games. Iowa has it the worst of the 4 with away games at Purdue, Ohio State and Wisconsin and gets Michigan at home (tough conference schedule IMHO) So who wins out in the battle of the schedules? Purdue. They only face Iowa and Wisconsi from this group of five and only Wisconsin away. Plus all their entire defense is back from last year. On paper therefore Purdue should win the Big 10...

Vee's pick - I really tried to talk myself into Purdue because they really are well positioned to win the crown but it just doesn't feel right. So I'm going to wimp out and go with the experts on this on...Michigan claims another Big 10 crown (but I won't take any bets on it laugh )

Big East Talk about changes! This used to be Miami And Virginia Tech..year in and year out with Boston College, West Virginia, Pittsburgh and Syracuse creating excitement and uncertainty. But now Miami, VA Tech, and Boston College are all in the ACC which means Pittsburgh, Syracuse and West Virginia should be the top three. Not so fast grasshopper! The Big East added some interesting teams to fill the void left by the three departing team. Cincy, South Florida, and Louisville may not be household names in college football yet but don't overlook any of them. The Big East has also finally gotten it's divorce with perpetual doormat Temple finalized and replaced them with Connecticut. All these changes make this a fun conference to watch this year. I realize most of you care very little for these results but I have a soft spot in my heart for the Big East so here goes...

Vee's pick- when all is said and done I think it comes down to Louisville and Pitt. Since Louisville is the home team for that game, I'll go with them as Big East winners for the year but they need to watch out for the Huskies in their last game! They could easily overlook them and give away the title with a loss there.

More of Vee's picks next time! Stay tuned!

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#535104 08/28/05 07:06 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
This was said:

"And here's my brash prediction for this year... the SEC west will be decided by the LSU-Alabama game... and Alabama's gonna take it home. "

Hiiisssssssssssssss. USC will not lay down and die for your beliefs. We will fight to the end. Our ckicken will become the all-devouring Millenium Chicken.

You might have good teams, but...we're COCKY!

AAAAAAAhahahahahahahahahahahah

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#535105 08/28/05 07:39 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Alright! I've been waiting for this thread Kippers for the last few weeks! Will read on and post own comments!

#535106 08/28/05 07:49 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
OK, some thoughts:

- In the last year, I've been to Oklahoma eight times on business, and I've gotten so caught up with the Big 12 craziness down there that this might be the division I'm looking forward to the most. I think Nebraska actually does have a shot to do something good, but it's going to be an uphill battle--not like the days of old (well recent days of old laugh ). Oklahoma/Texas/Texas A&M is where it's really at, and I think you guys are on the right track with predicting Texas as the lead of the three. I do have to say that I have a big soft spot for Texas A&M and would't mind them coming out on top in their conference.

Now, above all, I'm a Notre Dame fan, and I have high hopes for this season! New coach continuing to change the program and bring back some glory...even though I've been relatively dissapointed the last two seasons, I can't help be feel ND is on the right track again (but hey, I admit I'm biased laugh )

Mainly b/c of KP, I'm been keeping an eye on Alabama/Auburn, and think this should be an interesting season. I can't help but feel Alabama has this conference, but we'll see.

And for the Big East, I have to support my alma mater UCONN, although I see any chances of college football glory as still years away. But like Vee said, I think they could be dangerous in upsetting a big team and ruining their chances--they are not to be overlooked!

BTW, I was really enjoying Vee's rundown on the conferences laugh . I want weekly updates!

#535107 08/28/05 08:44 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
This was said:

"And here's my brash prediction for this year... the SEC west will be decided by the LSU-Alabama game... and Alabama's gonna take it home. "

Hiiisssssssssssssss. USC will not lay down and die for your beliefs. We will fight to the end. Our ckicken will become the all-devouring Millenium Chicken.

You might have good teams, but...we're COCKY!

AAAAAAAhahahahahahahahahahahah
Oh, come now. Yeah, you got Spurrier, but Holtz left you in a shambles this year. But hey, if any coach in the country can work a miracle, it's good ol' Stevie.

The Tide's gonna roll, tho. laugh

#535108 08/28/05 08:45 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Vee... you didn't make an ACC pick. That's gotta be FSU, right? lol

#535109 08/28/05 08:49 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I do have to say that I have a big soft spot for Texas A&M and would't mind them coming out on top in their conference.

mad mad mad

Dennis Franchione.

<span style="font-size: 40px;">HAAAAAAAAAAATE!!!</span>

mad

After what he did to Alabama...

Just mad .

#535110 08/28/05 09:34 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
OK, some thoughts:

I do have to say that I have a big soft spot for Texas A&M and would't mind them coming out on top in their conference.
As a UT grad and a longtime rival of those Aggies. I have lost all football respect for you Cobalt.

Really.

tease

#535111 08/28/05 10:04 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Jeepers! And I don't even like them that much!

I should have known not to involve myself in talks of the Big 12 around Southerners! laugh

#535112 08/28/05 11:15 AM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Vee... you didn't make an ACC pick. That's gotta be FSU, right? lol
SAving the best conference for last Kipper! laugh

Besides, it's a given wink

#535113 08/28/05 12:11 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Don't worry, Cobie, I would be fairly Aggie-neutral were it not for Franchione leaving 'Bama like a jilted bride. He used us to pad his resume (going 10-2) and then cashed in big-time at A&M. After encouraging the kids to stay through the specter of looming probation, he hypocritically turned tail and fled. What he did to our young men was unforgivable. I don't care how much his wife disliked living in Tuscaloosa.

Hate him!

#535114 08/28/05 12:14 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally posted by Vee:
[b]Vee... you didn't make an ACC pick. That's gotta be FSU, right? lol
SAving the best conference for last Kipper! laugh

Besides, it's a given wink [/b]
Best conference... whatever. wink

SEC = best conference!

(Besides, you can't have built up THAT much conference loyalty in one year.) laugh

#535115 08/28/05 12:38 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Don't worry, Cobie, I would be fairly Aggie-neutral were it not for Franchione leaving 'Bama like a jilted bride. He used us to pad his resume (going 10-2) and then cashed in big-time at A&M. After encouraging the kids to stay through the specter of looming probation, he hypocritically turned tail and fled. What he did to our young men was unforgivable. I don't care how much his wife disliked living in Tuscaloosa.

Hate him!
I ever see him in OKC, I'll punch him right in the nose! Followed by a "that's for the boys in Alabama, sir!" smile

#535116 08/28/05 12:34 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Holy Double Post! You can delete this fellas!

#535117 08/28/05 12:34 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Holy Triple Post! You can delete this lil guy too!

#535118 08/28/05 12:54 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
K, time for the second half of Vee's College Football Pre-Season Prognostications!

Pac 10

The Trojans have won out the past 2 years. Can they make it a three-peat? They have to make it through their conference before they can even begin to think about that but will thoughts of a potential third National Championship in a row distract them from the task at hand? And is there anyone that can challenge them out west?

Fact is USC has by far the best shot to win the title but a stumble here or there could be their undoing. It's happened to better teams in the past. Most likely to knock them off? Any one of three teams and the Trojans play two of them away: Arizona State & California and the season ending UCLA is really a home game for both. If USC doesn't repeat, look for one of those three to step up. USC also plays Notre Dame and the Washington Huskies as away games but they should have an easy time of it with each this year. They start the season out playing Hawaii away as well, and that game could be a shocker because no one ever gives the Rainbow the respect and credit they deserve.

Vee's pick - USC wins the conference again but it won't be a cake walk this year.

Mountain West

Either this is the most over looked and underrated conference in major college football or its the biggest group of whiners the world has ever seen! Put me down as one of those that believes they are the biggest group of whiners. (Just kidding guys! laugh ) Okay, they really are a bit underrated and defintiely ovelooked in the past, but the glare of the national spotlight won't be missing this year.

I've been following Colorado State, San Diego State, TCU and the Utah Utes for some time now and they are all pretty good programs. Wyoming and New Mexico are also good teams waiting to prove themselves. Of course, everyone else knows that other team, BYU, probabaly the most recogizable of the bunch...but far from being the best any more. Rounding out the conference is Air Force and UNLV.

Vee's Pick The Utes have a tough schedule but I think in the end they will capture the title again. It will be a rough and tumpble year for them as the conference rapidly catches up to them and challenges them every step of the way.

WAC

In 2003, the WAC was a 16 team superconference. Yes you read that right, SIXTEEN teams! While other conferences were looking to grow, they decided to split up and created the Mountain West and the new WAC from that group. In my opinion, the new WAC got the short end of the stick at the time but they've done great things to get back into shape as a great conference. The cream of the crop continues to be Fresno State and Boise State though and the title will belong to one of those two teams. Fresno State gets home field advantage in their match up in a Thursday night game which should be a good one to watch. One of these two teams may well end up at a BCS bowl this year.

Vee's pick - This may well be the toughet conference to pick. Both Fresno and Boise have great QBs and loaded offensive teams, but Fresno had the conference's best D last year and they'll se Bosie at home, in the heat of Arizona in mid November. Going to pick Fresno to upset Boise for the title this year.

Conference USA

Man this is a conference with so much potential that never seems to materialize. I've always felt that if anyone should replace the Big East in the BCS it should be Conference USA (not that they should, mind you) C-USA's biggest problem in recent years has been that it's constantly being poached by other conferences for expansion. Up until last year, this was home to Louisville, South Florida and Cincy who left for the Big East; Army who chose to go Independent again; and TCU who bolted for the Mountain West. Replacing them are Univ of Central Florida, and Marhsall from the MAC and UTEP, Rice, SMU, Tulsa from the WAC.

Vee's picks- The East is a toss up in my mind between UAB and Southern Miss, with the edge going to Southern Miss. The West is UTEP all the way. And the winner of the C-USA title will be...Southern Miss.

MAC

Not much to talk about in the MAC, another conference that's seen numerous changes because of poaching from above. Toledo & Northern Illinois (or maybe Easten Michigan) will battle it out in the West and Miami of Ohio and Bowling Green should be the two contenders from the East. The title game should pit Toledo and Miami of Ohio (just barely beating out Bowling Green for the spot) and I think Miami of Ohio pulls it off.

Sun Belt

Not much to say here except that North Texas should win the conference for a 5th straight year. And may well go undefeated in the conference for a 4th straight season. The Sun Belt is the bottom rung of major college football so most peoiple don't pay much attention to it. But keep your eyes on Florida Atlantic, Troy, and Florida International to make names for themselves in the next few years.

and finally, since I was saving the best for last......

ACC

After two years of making news off the field, and one year of the new kids running rampant through this old time conference, the ACC is finally ready to settle down and just be the best conference in college football. Over the past two years, the ACC has added Miami, VA Tech and Boston College to complete a 12 team roster, allowing them to finally hold a champiuonship game this year for the first time. That game should propel the winner into the National Championship Game.

The ACC is now split into a Coastal Division and an Atlantic Division. Atlantic includes: FSU, new comer Boston College, NC State, Clemson, Maryland and Wake Forest. Coastal includes: Miami, VA Tech, UNC, Georgia Tech, Virginia and Duke.

If FSU hopes to win the ACC title again, they have their best shot at it this year. After all they get Miami at home in the first game of the season, and Miami has been very slow to start the last few years. Unfortuantely for them, they also have to play Florida in the last game of the regular season, giving Urban Meyer a chance to get the Gators in order. Miami has owned FSU for 6 straight games. and it's likely to become 7 because the Seminoles have another QB controversy on the hands as well as the distraction of the past few weeks of that PC ruling from the NCAA regarding the use of the Seminole name and logo. If FSU stumbles in the Atlantic, look for Boston College or MAYBE NC State to win the division.

The race is the Coastal division looks to be much less certain. VA Tech is in the catbird seat and looks poised to win the ACC for the second straight year, but Miami NEVER loses twice in a row to anyone much less VA Tech. If Miami beats the Hokies in Blacksburg, look for them to win the Coastal outright. Even if they don't, the Canes can still beat VA Tech for the Coastal division because they have what looks to be a much easier away schedule and it's next to impossible for anyone to beat Miami at home in the Orange Bowl.

Vee's picks - Atlantic showdown between FSU and BC, comes out in BC's favor. Coastal has Miami beating VA Tech in Blacksburg and coasting into the title game, with Miami winning the game and the ACC title.

Lets see how far off the mark I am before I post any bowl predictions, shall we? laugh

#535119 08/29/05 02:44 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Vee:

MAC

The title game should pit Toledo and Miami of Ohio (just barely beating out Bowling Green for the spot) and I think Miami of Ohio pulls it off.
[/QB]
Well I live near one of these schools and work at another. We heartily disagree with your assessment. laugh

Hopefully

anyhow, our near term schedule

Miami plays Ohio State (slaughter)
N. Illinois plays Michigan (slaughter)
BG plays Wisconsin (could be good given Wiscky's graduations on D)
UT plays, uh, Western Illinois. Scary because D-IAA W. Ill has never lost to a MAC team.

#535120 09/01/05 05:11 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Aaaaand... it's starting now. laugh

#535121 09/01/05 10:44 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
I'm afraid we're not gonna have a Sugar Bowl this year. frown

#535122 09/03/05 08:56 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Go UAB!!!

#535123 09/03/05 12:06 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Geeh. I only follow USC in Columbia. They truly are the Cocks of the walk, lol.

As for college football, too much hypocracy for me. They get paid to play ball so the colleges make money. They should be honest about it instead of all the NCAA crap about them not getting "preferential treatment over the student body". If colleges are gonna be the minor leagues for the NFL, be honest about it.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,208
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star