Roll Call
0 members (), 91 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 09:48 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:44 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:38 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:13 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Deadwood" on Apokolips
#537052 04/24/04 09:24 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Is anyone else watching the HBO show "Deadwood"?? It didn't seem all that interesting to me until one night I didn't have anything better to watch and HBO has a good track record so I checked it out -- it's a *great* show!! One of the things I like about it is also unfortunately one its drawbacks -- it's a dense story with a lot of characters and various storylines that can be hard for a newbie to pick up. It's similar to "The Wire" in that respect, but it's shaping up to be another show that seems more than worth it. It's also got an awesome villain who holds the thing together.

But the reason for this topic is that (while unable to sleep the other night) I noticed certain parallels between Deadwood and the Fourth World characters:
*Darkseid/ Swearengen -- this guy rules Deadwood with an iron fist, a hair trigger temper and machiavellian schemes. He's one of those guys that'll "kill ya soon as look atcha" and Ian McShane has created a character that really might go off and kill whoever he's talking to in any given scene. There's always an air of violence in any scene he's in. He also runs the saloon/brothel so while he doesn't have furies, he's got a stable of whores. He doesn't have firepits, but he's got a pigsty with carnivorous pigs where more than a few unlucky souls have ended up.
*Desaad/E.B. Farnum -- Every Darkseid needs a snivelling sychophant, and Swearengen has E.B. E.B. obeys out of fear and self preservation. He has no real loyalty and (as Desaad has done many times) has already betrayed his master at least once already (but managed to squirm out of it).
*Kalibak/Dan (I think it's Dan or Dave) -- the hirsute henchman who does the dirty work, the bloody work.
*Orion/Bullock -- Bullock is a man of two worlds. He's got a violent past that he's trying to get away from by becoming a business owner, but life in Deadwood won't allow him to lay down his guns. Fact is, he walks and talks like a brooding killer. He seems so ill-suited to be a businessman his efforts in that direction seem futile. While not Swearengen's son, he represents Bullock's violent nature and the world he doesn't want to be a part of.
*Lightray/Sol -- aside from the similarity in names ("sol" being the sun), Sol is Bullock's partner. He's much more the "people person" and has the business savy to ground Bullock in the new life he wants.
*High Father/Wild Bill -- Wild Bill, the legend, the myth, the hero. His presence strikes awe in most and he represents the other end of the moral compass to balance Swearengen. Bill and Bullock immediately strike up a rapor, but like High Father, Wild Bill is now one with the Source, leaving Bullock without a father figure.
*Metron/The Doctor -- the main thing they have in common is that they answer to a higher calling then simple good vs. evil. Metron serves his thirst for knowledge, the Doc serves his hypocratic oath. Neither hero nor villain, he walks in both worlds.
*Big Barda/ Calamity Jane -- this is a tad of a stretch, but they're both tough broads...

If you haven't checked out the show, maybe the New Gods comparison will be a helpful primer to familiarize you with the characters. It's worth catching!

Re: "Deadwood" on Apokolips
#537053 02/25/05 09:26 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
The new season's starting up soon! Can I be the only one who's into this show?

Re: "Deadwood" on Apokolips
#537054 02/26/05 10:06 PM
Active
Active
No, I'm into it. I love it. It sure ain't your daddy's Gunsmoke.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,993
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
neopavlik
neopavlik
Florida
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star