Roll Call
1 members (Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller), 43 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/06/24 02:35 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/06/24 01:31 PM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by Ann Hebistand - 05/06/24 01:30 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 11:28 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added EYEFUL ETHEL & SUNSWORD 5 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 06:42 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by razsolo - 05/06/24 05:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 03:05 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Who Was Jack The Ripper?
#542176 08/12/03 10:10 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
OP Offline
Since Lee Harvey Oswald, gets his own thread, let's delve a bit deeper into history and conspiracy theories, shall we?

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Re: Who Was Jack The Ripper?
#542177 08/12/03 10:15 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I actually believe it may have been Impressionist painter Walter Sickert. Some pretty good evidence was dug up by Patricia Cornwell.

#542178 08/27/03 12:08 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Anybody who wants more information on Jack should check out casebook.org .

A warning, though: some of the photos and drawings are extremely gruesome. Don't go exploring if you have children or co-workers wandering around.

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#542179 08/27/03 10:54 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Arachne:
Anybody who wants more information on Jack should check out casebook.org .

A warning, though: some of the photos and drawings are extremely gruesome. Don't go exploring if you have children or co-workers wandering around.
I second Arachne's recommendation; casebook.org is a compelling and in-depth look at all facets of the case, from the victims to the detectives to suspects and various theories.

Though, I want to add to Arachne's warning: Don't visit it late at night, either, not if you want to sleep afterwards! eek

#542180 08/27/03 11:05 PM
OP Offline
This poll didn't get a lot of play (though I thank whoever it was who extended the deadline; I believe I had it closing sometime during the blackout).

Only five people voted, and the results are below: the suspect's name, followed by a brief description and the votes cast:

Prince Eddy, Queen Victoria's grandson and alleged sufferer of syphillis 0% (0)

Sir William Gull, Royal Physician, as part of the Royal Conspiracy coverup 20% (1)

George Chapman, barber turned wife poisoner 0% (0)

Aaron Kosminski, nutcase and future asylum resident 0% (0)

Montague John Druitt, school master and suicide victim 0% (0)

"Jane The Ripper," mad midwife 0% (0)

Charles Dickens, writer whose hateful nature is revealed by anagrams of his work 20% (1)

Another well-known suspect 40% (2)

Somebody entirely unknown 20% (1)

#542181 08/28/03 01:18 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
Though, I want to add to Arachne's warning: Don't visit it late at night, either, not if you want to sleep afterwards! eek
You made that mistake too, huh? I had to take a pill to sleep after seeing some of the photos in the victims section.

For what it's worth, my vote goes to Francis Tumblety. He had the means (he was an abortionist), the motive (hated women in general and prostitutes in particular), and the opportunity (he was in London and quite possibly right in Whitechapel.) On top of that, the police actually suspected him at the time.

Francis Thompson is an interesting possibility, too, but the case against him seems a little too perfect. Almost fictional.

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#542182 08/28/03 09:40 AM
OP Offline
Tumblety is a good choice, Arachne -- and one who doesn't get a lot of attention, for some reason.

Whenever I see a TV special on JTR, the suspect usually favored is Kosminski. He does seem to fit the bill: He was insane, reportedly attacked his sister with a knife and was eventually committed to an asylum, where he died 30 years later. Since no photos of him exist, he's often represented by a drawing of a desheveled figure with wild hair and a hat that obscures his face.

Supposedly, one of the witnesses (Israel Schwartz, I believe) refused to testify against Kosminski because he couldn't implicate a fellow Jew. Some of the detectives and police officials certainly thought Kosminski was their man.

The evidence is convincing, to me, but not conclusive. Like Thompson, Kosminski makes almost too perfect a suspect.

That's why I voted for someone completely unknown.

#542183 08/28/03 10:46 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Jack T. Ripper? Wasn't he that guy who had to pretend he was gay so he could live with his two pretty roomates, Jan and Chrissy? lol

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#542184 08/28/03 01:32 PM
OP Offline
See, I probably would have gotten more votes if I'd included Jack Tripper, as well as Hengist (Star Trek) and Sebastian (Babylon 5).

Or maybe not.

#542185 08/28/03 01:45 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
See, I probably would have gotten more votes if I'd included Jack Tripper, as well as Hengist (Star Trek) and Sebastian (Babylon 5).

Or maybe not.
I would have voted for Hengist. laugh

#542186 09/03/03 06:44 PM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
One of my favorite comics stories involving Jack the Ripper is the Jack meets Dracula miniseries from the 80s, I think... I don't remember which company published it... possibly the same press that produced ElfQuest? Marc Hempel, maybe? Anyway, nice art and very entertaining.

Whoever he was though, Jackie Chan's sister beat him up but good. It must be true, it was in Shanghai Knights...!

#542187 09/04/03 10:48 PM
OP Offline
Did anybody else see "From Hell"? It was a very good film, full of minutiae for Ripperologists.

#542188 09/04/03 11:04 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Stu:
One of my favorite comics stories involving Jack the Ripper is the Jack meets Dracula miniseries from the 80s, I think... I don't remember which company published it... possibly the same press that produced ElfQuest? Marc Hempel, maybe? Anyway, nice art and very entertaining.
Great mini. It was called Blood of the Innocent and was published by WaRP. 4 issues, 1986 I think.

Did anybody else see "From Hell"? It was a very good film, full of minutiae for Ripperologists.
Love From Hell. Just wish I could find all the books by Alan Moore so I could read them and compare. But since the movie was a Johnny Depp it was bound to be a favorite of mine anyway.

#542189 09/05/03 07:19 PM
OP Offline
My biggest complaint about the movie was the fate of Frederick Abberline ...

(spoiler space for those who haven't seen the movie)

... who did not die in an opium den after the murders, but who lived to a ripe old age until 1929. I also thought the "bait and switch" of Mary Kelly's murder was wonderfully convenient, but I guess I'm a critic at heart. I love to complain about fiction. smile

What I really liked was its authenticity in regards to the victims, the crime settings, and the overall milieu. The murdered women were prostitutes who had no other means of support. The movie vividly portrays that. In one scene, they are sleeping sitting up on a bench in a flop house (or whatever it was called), propped up by a rope. Then they go from that to getting roughed up by one of the various extortion gangs. What a life.

I came across a collection of Moore's "From Hell" and nearly bought it but didn't. His writing sometimes is an acquired taste.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,165
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
The Kahn
The Kahn
30th Century Earth
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star