Roll Call
0 members (), 36 Murran Spies, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:05 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:04 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:02 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Re: Battlestar Galactica: Season 3
#544899 08/18/05 08:34 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
It looks like this season is going to be largely about the Cylons' plans for reproduction. We've been lead into it with Caprica Boomer, now Balthar is being recruited (I imagine they need his brain somehow to really make a success of this scheme -- especially when Boomer's ready to deliver), and now these baby making factories. Cylons as god-loving war-mongers who are obsessed with babies and screwing with other people's reproduction (would that make the rebels the inverse of abortion clinic bombers)? Hmm...

I'm starting to dislike what they're doing with Starbuck. First they make her all lovesick over Apollo, sideline her so that she doesn't get to do what she does best and now she's crying, praying to the gods to help her when she's in trouble, and it turns out she's been acting out because she was possibly abused as a kid (I'm going to guess her piano playing father closed the cover-thing on her fingers cuz she wasn't good enough).

She's becoming more and more the cliched wounded little girl who only acts tough. I liked her during the ep that spotlighted her, but more for her tougher qualities. I hope we get to see them again, and as more than bravado.
And did anyone else think "Excalibur" when that guy pulled the arrow out of the water to give to Starbuck? (the lad of the lake?)

#544900 08/19/05 09:59 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
I'm starting to dislike what they're doing with Starbuck. First they make her all lovesick over Apollo, sideline her so that she doesn't get to do what she does best and now she's crying, praying to the gods to help her when she's in trouble, and it turns out she's been acting out because she was possibly abused as a kid (I'm going to guess her piano playing father closed the cover-thing on her fingers cuz she wasn't good enough).

She's becoming more and more the cliched wounded little girl who only acts tough. I liked her during the ep that spotlighted her, but more for her tougher qualities. I hope we get to see them again, and as more than bravado.
Actually, I rather like it. She's always had this self-destruct/self-loathing thing going on, and now we know why, she's been fleshed out nicely. Sadly it's cliche because so many times it's true. People behave a certain way based on what they've had to endure, we're now seeing her backstory, it's always been there, we as the viewers are only now being shown it for the first time, but it's probably always been the main influence in her personality.

Now knowing this... I'm hoping they don't dwell on it.

My question is though, what happens when a copy dies, do all the copies download the "deceased" copies info or does it go to a particular one. Meaning is there now a Boomer copy that has retained Galactica Boomer's memories, so that out there somewhere there's a Boomer now in love with Tyrol? Or do they all get the info, in which case how does Caprica Boomer reconcile her feelings for Helo with the newly obtained feeling for Tyrol?

For that matter... were all the Boomers sleeper Cyclons or did some know they were cylons while others are still in denial? Does the "wake-up" process involve all of them at once or is it a slow evolution within each copy?

#544901 08/19/05 10:19 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Bubble Wrap Boy:
Now knowing this... I'm hoping they don't dwell on it.
Definitely. I guess I don't mind it so much as a backstory, but I hope in future eps we see that she's also grown to be strong and resilient rather than just lashing out.

My question is though, what happens when a copy dies, do all the copies download the "deceased" copies info or does it go to a particular one.
Hey, maybe Triplicate Girl's really a Cylon! Though not the same, your inquiry made me think of Lu's rebooted origin.

#544902 08/19/05 11:00 AM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
For that matter... were all the Boomers sleeper Cyclons or did some know they were cylons while others are still in denial? Does the "wake-up" process involve all of them at once or is it a slow evolution within each copy?
Well, we first found out that Boomer was a Cylon when a copy showed up with the other Cylons at that armory in space (I forget the name) Therefore, it would seem that some Boomers know that they are Cylons. Definitely Caprica Boomer knew.

I think that the sleeper Boomer has developed feelings for humans and that probably will get transferred to other Boomers. So that may be a cink in the Cylons plans.

Also, I am thinking that it may not have been the Sleeper Boomer that shot Adama. She was confronted by all those other boomers. who's to say they didn't keep her and sent another in her place?

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#544903 08/19/05 01:13 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Those armory Boomers reminded me of those quarter arcade green aliens that were rescued in Toy Story, where they all were appreciative towards Woody and talked in unison. <shiver>

It's weird, it sort of seems that we're led to believe that each copy of each model kind of thinks and evolves individually, but thne you have to wonder what happens to the downloaded info of one that is destroyed, if they all get it, like the Borg, then it kind of defeats the purpose of each being its own experiment.

Hopefully this will be something that is answered as the series progresses.

#544904 08/19/05 01:29 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I think each of them still retains whatever 'personality' they've developed but when they receive a download it is like learning something new. So they know of the relationship(s) but it doesn't personally affect them. I don't think Caprica Boomer will be in love with the Chief as she is already attached to Helo. Think of it like a speed reader with perfect recall.

Only four more episodes left in 2006 after tonight's. We have to wait until early next year for the rest of the season. And Lucy Lawless shows up before we're done this year.

#544905 08/19/05 06:31 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
Also, I am thinking that it may not have been the Sleeper Boomer that shot Adama. She was confronted by all those other boomers. who's to say they didn't keep her and sent another in her place?
The gunshot wound on her face for one. I suppose they could have faked it (the wound was seen on her body last ep), but that would mean Boomer blew up with the base ship anyway, wouldn't it?

#544906 08/19/05 07:11 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I have trouble watching the latest Battlestar Galactica series - one is that they made Starbuck a woman, the other is getting rid of those Cylons-as-creepy-voiced-robots and using humanoid replicants instead.

Are any of the surviving cast (Dirk Benedict, Richard Hatch, Laurette Spang, Maren Jensen, Anne Lockhart, etc.) likely to be making guest appearences in the series?

#544907 08/19/05 09:09 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Richard Hatch was in the last season and has been in the last three(?) new episodes as a political revolutionary/terrorist who's scheming to replace the President.

#544908 08/19/05 09:25 PM
Leader
Leader
So, after making us wait for the last 6-7 weeks (plus the several months of cliffhanger before that), it looks like they're FINALLY getting to their tribute to "Lost Planet Of The Gods".

I was thinking about how a pretty good idea was done really, REALLY badly back in '78-- if anyone remembers, the whole thing with ALL the pilots getting food poisoning at once, and the farce they made about recruiting & training all women pilots. Not to mention the BONANZA tribute where Lorne Greene's son gets married-- and the new wife gets KILLED in the very same episode. (Bye bye Jane Seymour...)

Bill Adama CONTINUES to get on my nerves... he's SUCH an incredibly hard-headed bastard, isn't he? I'm glad to see that maybe he's finally loosening up a bit and coming to his senses. It took me until the last couple episodes, but it occurs to me the girl on the bridge who spoke her mind to him this week is maybe the closest parallel we have in the new series to Athena (Adama's daughter on the original show).

Does ANYONE on that ship notice that Dr. Baltar is just standing there talking to himself all the time? It was neat to see things both from his point-of-view AND not, alternatively, as the "conversation" continued.

Meanwhile, Richard Hatch's character-- and his confidant-- are REALLY scum-- aren't they? I found myself wondering, wouldn't it be intrigueing if because of his experience down on Kobol, HE would up being convinced that Rosalind is right, and killed his right-hand man to stop him from killing Apollo? That would really delve more into the "shades of gray" they seem to love on this show... but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

#544909 08/20/05 10:37 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Guys, I just watched this for the first time last night, and... my mind is still spinning. This is a FANTASTIC show. I need to get caught up, and STAT. (Though I'm not much of a downloader, I may have to bend my personal rules a bit for this one. I can't get enough of this show!)

Is season 1 on DVD?

Incidentally, Edward James Olmos as Adama has got to be the best casting in a sci-fi series ever. I like the guy playing Apollo (HOT!) but I wish hed's speak up. It seems like he mumbles every other line and then I have to stop and rewind my DVR to figure out what he's saying. Also, reimagining Starbuck as a girl was a stroke of genius. Adds so much to the character dynamics of the show.

There were so many little touches going on, and I couldn't understand but about half of what was going on, but the epic feel of the episode I loved. I can't wait to delve into the backstory of this one!

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#544910 08/20/05 11:31 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I kidna wish they hadn't killed off the old Sharon just as the new one was joining them. A confrontation between the two of them would've been interesting (but not in the old "which one do I shoot?" kinda way).

I loved the teaser that shows Caprica Boomer might finish what Galactica Boomer started. It's probably that she's shooting Zarek or his cohort, but it'd be almost funny if Adama gets shot again by another Boomer.

#544911 08/20/05 11:31 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
If you wait until next month you can get the DVD set that has both the mini-series and the entire first season. The first set out, special at Best Buy, does not contain the mini. From what I've heard the regular release will be priced the same or just a couple of dollars more. Definitely worth the wait.

If you find you can't wait or get it Jeff, let me know. I have the whole first season (including mini) and every show this year saved. Definitely my favorite show right now.

[edit] Just checked Best Buy and they want $48.99 for the 'UK' version without the mini. Amazon has the US version including the mini on pre-order sale (shipping 9/20) for $41.99 and that is with free shipping. Definitely worth the wait. Even though I have the episodes I'll still be buying this set.

#544912 08/23/05 03:10 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
When time comes for elections, I can imagine Madame President's campaign slogn: "An open airlock for every Cylon!" (she's quick to eject toasters into space isn't she?)

#544913 08/23/05 06:02 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Is there a Jolly character in the new series? The previous Jolly had a bearish mystique which i found interesting...

#544914 08/26/05 07:17 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Here's a thought...

one of the things that's always bugged me about the "presidential prophecy" is that Rosalyn is "destined" to die. Granted she's a well known, oscar nominated film star and the idea of her being around more than two seasons may not be plausible, but still, killing her off always seemed to be the easy way out... and if there's one thing this series doesn't do, is take the easy way out. But what if...

what if she does die... then comes back... as a copy! Turns out she's a cylon, but like Galactica Boomer, didn't know it, and never does, she's programmed to think of herself as a prophet, and to bring "her people" to earth... but what if she's not bringing them there to save humanity... but instead is fulfilling the cylon wish to exterminate it?! She finds the last bastion of it, and then extinguishes it.

<shudder> I think I just scared myself into wetting my pants. smile

#544915 08/26/05 08:04 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well, lets get you out of them then, Victor...*hehe*

#544916 08/26/05 08:11 PM
Leader
Leader
"wouldn't it be intrigueing if because of his experience down on Kobol, HE would up being convinced that Rosalind is right, and killed his right-hand man to stop him from killing Apollo?"

I can't believe how CLOSE I was to calling that one! Sharon, egged on by Richard Hatch's cronie, wound up trciking him into giving his murderous intentions away-- then SHOT him to "prove" she was on the side of right. LOVE it.

This was, by far, the BEST episode yet. The end of last week was the first time I felt like Adama was making sense at all. AT LAST I have some respect for the guy. I never expected the "Lost Planet of the Gods" retread to take 8 or so weeks, but wow... DEFINITELY better than the first time.

"The best show on television." Well, I dunno. I only watch 3 new shows right now, and this is one of 'em. hey-- that's JUST like back in '78-'79. The tragic thing about back then, the original BG-- for all its major, serous flaws, WAS the best show on television that year. THAT'S HOW BAD that season was, overall. (Actually, my favorite show that season was THE NEW AVENGERS-- but CBS ran that on late-nigte, because at the time it was considered "too violent" for US prime time. HAH!!! Anyway, that show was already 2 years old at the time, and had been cancelled in England before it ever got here.)

#544917 09/09/05 08:03 PM
Leader
Leader
What a CHARGE it was to hear Stu Phillips' theme song turn up in tonight's episode!

#544918 09/09/05 08:05 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Damn! I missed it. Guess I'll have to catch the repeat. Only two more episodes left for the year too.

#544919 09/09/05 08:21 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
If I knew how to do invso text....

holy

sh*t

i

wasn't

expecting

that!

#544920 09/10/05 12:50 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Me Neither RTVU2, that was holly cow!!! moment if i ever saw one. and it was nice to hear the theme from the originial series played in the background near the end of the show.

Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/
#544921 09/10/05 09:14 AM
Leader
Leader
It was VERY fitting to hear the old theme. The last 2 episodes were the FIRST TIME in the series so far that the new show genuinely reminded me of the original show. When Adama came to his senses and said "I'm putting our family back together", I finally developed some respect for him, and it seemed the overall tone of things changed dramatically. I do recall how the 2nd episode of the original series showed the survivors at their bleakest... and it feels to me that, until now, EVERY episode of the new version has been in that utterly-bleak-and-nearly-hopeless mode.

I was really surprised to see Lucy Lawless-- somehow I didn't recognize her at first! It was very odd that, about a third of the way in, the thought crossed my mind, "What if SHE'S a Cylon?" By the end, things turned out very nicely... but the last scene just made me SCREAM!!! (What the **** are those scheming bastards UP to??? The suspense is murder!)

Considering how I still feel about the way the new series started, I am astonished that it KEEPS getting better. It reminds me of a few novels I've read, where things start out slow, but build-- and build-- AND BUILD!!! Damn.

#544922 09/10/05 01:55 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Great Episode! But come on, how could you not know she would turn out to be "one of them" after Six's foreshadowing to Gaius? Now how many of the 12 models have we now seen? 5?,6?, 7? I've lost count.

What's funny is that I didn't recognize her, and I was actually looking for her since I knew she'd be on the episode, lol.

#544923 09/10/05 07:32 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Damn! I missed it. Guess I'll have to catch the repeat. Only two more episodes left for the year too.
isnt there 12 episodes and this is episode 8, and the pegaseus should be showing up next episode, i hope.

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,213
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star