Roll Call
0 members (), 34 Murran Spies, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/08/24 03:49 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/08/24 03:24 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: The official Avengers movie thread
#546409 05/08/12 08:43 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I wont say who bought the big one, but I do have to wonder if it was a LMD, since they carefully mentioned it in the movie for no apparent reason.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#546410 05/08/12 10:07 PM
S
Set Online Content
Long live the Legion!
Online Content
Long live the Legion!
S
Re-introducing Hank and Jan for the modern day, I'd at least borrow from Ultimate Jan, that she's got powers innately, not merely as a result of being tinkered on by Hank. (I'm not sure if they can use the word 'mutant,' because of Fox owning the X-Men movie rights, 'though.)

Jan's father could end up hiring grad-student-from-hell Pym to come up with a solution for his daughters tendency to zap people she touches (more elegant than wearing a rubber suit). Pym, having just finished PHDs in entomology, computer networking and particle physics, is intrigued by the offer of having his student loans paid off and Janet's unique condition. And so they meet, and being Pym, his 'cure' involves Pym particles (allowing her to shunt excess energy to wherever the excess mass goes when they shrink), tying their 'origins' together.

I think the coolest thing about Ruffalo's Banner is that he was more like the Bill Bixby Banner, a bit jaded with his situation, while the movie Banners have been a bit closer to their origin, and been much less in ownership of their 'condition.' (Son, you got a condition...) I would *not* have liked Banner being portrayed as meek or easily cowed or afraid of 'the Other Guy,' and this interpretation of Banner was neat in that he seemed very aware of how close he was to being a 'person of mass destruction.' Even in the room with Thor, Captain America, Iron Man and surrounded by SHIELD agents, Banner never looked intimidated, and even came across as intimidating, himself.

I like that Whedon used as many characters as he did. Pepper Potts wasn't needed in this movie, and yet her presence was a welcome sight.

I read an interview with the director after Captain America, and he mentioned that the script called for Cap to crack some jokes, but that Chris Evans objected, saying that they were out of character, and that somebody else should crack the jokes while Cap stayed 'the straight man.' When I initially heard how funny this movie was going to be, I was afraid that Cap would be out of character, to 'fit in' with a more Iron Man level of quippyness. (Joss is known for his characters witty banter, after all!) I was happy to see that this was not the case. Cap remained pretty serious, and I'm glad that the 'most be funny because it worked in Iron Man!' mandate didn't get spread out to mangle the characterization of everyone else.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#546411 05/10/12 12:40 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Just got back with the family from seeing this.

Joss Whedon did a great job with this.

Thor coming back to Earth was touched on in an almost throwaway line from Loki.

Mark Ruffalo was brilliant as Banner. Just the right amounts of everything to make his 'revelation' believable. The Hulk was unbelievably fun in this movie. I do really hope they give him a chance at a solo shot with some real villains to smash. A re-imagined U-Foes could be fun...Maybe a Wrecking Crew.

The rest of the cast was great. RDJ continues to chew through any scene that he is in. I really cannot ever see another actor taking over for him eventually.

Like the reveal in the credits as to who was pulling the strings.

Loved the final scene as well. Too funny. Glad they decided to include it.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#546412 05/10/12 04:17 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
OP Offline
Re: Hank & Jan, there was a scene I had planned for my now-discounted "Stern-verse" Avengers stories where a super-powerful villain has Hawkeye cornered, and Hank as Giant-Man sneaks up behind the villain and does essentially what you-know-who did to you-know-who-else in one of the most memorable scenes of the Avengers movie (the scene Set referred to earlier in this thread as the gorilla and the luggage scene.)

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#546413 05/10/12 04:42 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I think Dane should be introduced as a SHIELD Agent (ala Widow and Hawkeye). Master of all things knife and sword related.

#546414 05/10/12 05:10 PM
OP Offline
I'd rather see Dane with an origin more faithful to his comics one. He could still work for SHIELD, but as a timid scientist turned reluctant swashbuckler.

#546415 05/10/12 05:20 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
I finally saw it last night, and I loved it. My favorite line was Thor's sheepish, "He's adopted."

Only disappointment: I expected that the serpentine thing that was shown in the trailer would be the Midgard Serpent. Turned out it was just one of the alien invader ships.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#546416 05/10/12 05:24 PM
OP Offline
I skipped the trailers, so I was taken completely by surprise by the serpent-ships. Weirdly enough, they reminded me of Marrina's true form from the opening issues of the Walt Simonson run of the Avengers comic -- an impressive visual to be sure, thanks to John Buscema, but far from one of the high points of nearly 50 years of Avengers mythos.

Eh, probably just a coincidence. shrug

#546417 05/10/12 05:31 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I actually thought the ships were more fish-y than serpent-y! They were a very cool visual!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#546418 05/10/12 05:43 PM
OP Offline
They do have fish heads, that's true...

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Fish heads, fish heads, roly poly fish heads
Fish heads, fish heads, eat 'em up, yum
</span></span>

#546419 05/10/12 07:16 PM
strange but not a stranger
I do have a complaint about the Avengers movie. Chris Evans was not shirtless in it. I feel ripped off.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#546420 05/10/12 07:57 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
Yes, in the movie they were definitely fish-like. Iron Man even made a "Jonah" reference. But you couldn't tell that from the trailer.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#546421 05/11/12 06:06 PM
OP Offline
An acquaintance e-mailed something interesting to me. But don't open the spoiler box unless you've seen the movie.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Someone wrote in with this comment on Tom Brevoort's Blog:
Joss Whedon has actually, in the last few days, mentioned... "For me, the greatest Avengers was the Avengers Annual that Jim Starlin did."</span></span>

#546422 05/12/12 08:42 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Interesting...veddy interesting.

#546423 05/13/12 02:15 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I know I'm late to the party but how cool were Hawkeye and Black Widow!

#546424 05/13/12 02:16 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I thought those big ships were really cool too.

#546425 05/13/12 02:22 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

- Scarlet Johansson was actually pretty damn fantastic. Her role was not only strong but filled with subtleties. She made Natasha stand shoulder to shoulder with the big guns, yet her character was never so over the top that she was unrelatable.

- Tom Hiddleston as Loki was also fantastic. He&#146;s a bit overshadowed by the rest of the cast, but its too his credit that ever scene he was in worked for me. If Loki was played by a bad actor, the movie would have bombed. The opposite happened here.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">The second scene was hilarious! Funny and brilliantly done. And yet, without getting too over the top about it&#151;it was so Marvel. Heroes doing regular things, feeling regular exhaustion.</span></span>

Here&#146;s hoping the next one has Hank & Jan!
Hiddleston was a great Loki, he almost has me rooting for him (like I was in Thor)

I didn't get to see the second scene! I left when the lights came up ...

#546426 05/13/12 03:44 PM
OP Offline
Originally posted by Power Boy:
I know I'm late to the party...
It's never too late to join THIS party!! cheers laugh

...but how cool were Hawkeye and Black Widow!
I'm delighted that all the Scarlett haters have been left eating crow. laugh

#546427 05/14/12 01:16 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Marvel: Six hero's to equal one DC hero!

wink

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#546428 05/14/12 06:54 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Oh, Mr. Whedon, I'll do anything to get a role in the sequel...anything...

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
#546429 05/14/12 07:48 PM

I didn't get to see the second scene! I left when the lights came up ...
Do you plan on seeing the movie again or do you want it spoiled?

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#546430 05/14/12 08:01 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Wasn't the dialogue in that second ending scene brilliant?

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
#546431 05/14/12 08:04 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Yeppers. Could not have been worded any better.

#546432 05/14/12 09:10 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq:
Dave,

I think it is pretty kid friendly. There is a lot of rampaging destruction where if it were real there would be lots of dead people. From what I remember there is only one on-screen death and one scene <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> where a guy gets stabbed in the face around his eye. Although you don't actually see the actual penetration part of the stabbing</span></span>
I'm just now catching up with the thread since I saw the movie today, so if my comments overlap with others, I'll edit my posts as I go along.

A few other deaths I noticed:

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Hawkeye kills at least two guards while under Loki's control, and one of Loki's soldiers falls out of the helli-carrier while fighting Cap. Also, it wasn't clear to me if the guy whose eye gets plucked out dies or not.</span></span>

While watching these scenes, the thought occurred to me that modern audiences are probably more sophisticated than they were when I was reading Avengers stories as a kid (and well into adulthood). Most kids these days probably realize people die in armed conflict, and heroes don't always have time to spare the lives of their enemies.

In fact, that's probably also a concession of translating the book to film. Super-hero tropes such as "heroes don't kill" would probably throw most viewers out of the story.

Although it's not shown, and the newscast at the end makes no mention of this, a lot of civilians had to die when all the carnage happened in Manhattan.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#546433 05/14/12 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
While everyone was pretty great, some real A+&#146;s have to go to:

- Mark Ruffalo, giving probably the best Bruce Banner performance of all time. He basically revitalized the Hulk for me, even more than how well done the Hulk himself was. Which, by the way, he was&#151;the Hulk was the breakout star of the show.
100 percent agreed. Ruffalo has emerged as my favorite portayer or Hulk/Banner, even eclipsing Bill Bixby.

Ruffalo was an inspired casting choice. He comes across as a middle-aged, frumpy scientist, not a Hollywood-handsome hero, as Banner is usually protrayed. Physically, he seems out of place with Downey, Evans, and the rest, but personality wise, he stole the show. He was utterly credible as a guy who is trying not to lose control in a situation where he and everyone else should be tense all the time.

The Hulk has never been one of my favorite characters, and yet, my favorite scene in the whole move . . .

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">. . . was Hulk bashing the floor with Loki! </span></span>

It's the kind of thing we all feel like doing to someone at some point, and it reminds me why Hulk is so popular: He lets readers vicariously vent their rage.

- Scarlet Johansson was actually pretty damn fantastic. Her role was not only strong but filled with subtleties. She made Natasha stand shoulder to shoulder with the big guns, yet her character was never so over the top that she was unrelatable.
Also agreed. Johansson really pulled off the fake damsel in distress bit in her scene with Loki.

- Tom Hiddleston as Loki was also fantastic. He&#146;s a bit overshadowed by the rest of the cast, but its too his credit that ever scene he was in worked for me. If Loki was played by a bad actor, the movie would have bombed. The opposite happened here.
Yeah. The one issue I have with casting is that Hiddleston came over as a more convincing god than Hemsworth did. Loki is just delicious: spoiled, egotistical, a prince of the realm in every sense. Everything from his accent to his smile reeked of superiority. Thor not so much. (And yes, Thor is a good guy, but he was too humble, and his accent seemed forced.)

I agree with your other casting comments, too.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,208
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star