Roll Call
0 members (), 27 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/02/24 04:32 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/02/24 12:15 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/02/24 11:41 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/02/24 11:40 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 11:09 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 11:07 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 1 MAY*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 11:01 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tony Blair: Lying poodle or Churchillian hero?
#547930 08/28/03 03:38 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Not worth a poll, but I was wondering...heard a talking heads interview in which a professor from American University in Cairo and another from Yale in New Haven were discussing Mr. Blair - I was not surprised to hear the Cairo man say Blair's lost credibility, he was lying - but I was very surprised to hear the thundering support for Blair which the Yalie delivered - she did indeed compare him to Churchill - taking great personal risks to fight a deadly enemy.
I'm more inclined to put him - and every other world leader - in the lying poodle category - but maybe others applaud him for his stance on Iraq?

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Re: Tony Blair: Lying poodle or Churchillian hero?
#547931 08/28/03 03:54 AM
Reservist
Reservist
Lying poodle? Nah it's far too good for that bastard. I wouldn't want to give lying poodles a bad name. Tony Blair = evil evil evil

Let's just say...he want be able to use that "You're going to have to just trust me on this one" line on the public again. Me personally I'd like to smack him one in the laugh and I'm a pacifist.

I better stop at this point I think. I can feel another rant coming on. mad

#547932 08/28/03 07:39 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
This is as good a place as any to tell you all about the little kid I saw playing cards at my restaraunt with his dad. Not just any cards. It was the Iraq's Most Wanted deak, complete with pictures of the 52 Iraqis the US is searching for dead or alive. A little kid. Probably 7 or 8. It made me sick to my stomach. Playing cards with the images of Saddam's sons who we (and I use that term loosely) blew to a bloody pulp.

I have stronger words in my vocabulary for our current leadership than "lying poodle," to be sure.

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#547933 08/28/03 08:25 AM
Active
Active
i think lap dog would be appropriate

#547934 08/28/03 09:10 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Lap Dog? Too whom?

From my perspective he held to his beliefs, showed he was strong and willing to risk his position for them, and has been able to get along with, and quite honestly lead, two completely different types of our (US) political leaders.

Most of us on this western side of the Atlantic have no idea his politics. I think Blair is highly respected for political and personal courage by our population, irregardless their stance on the war.

#547935 08/28/03 09:29 AM
Leader
Leader
Blair followed America right down the line, it didn't matter what he thought. The majority of the country were against the war, hell most of the government were against it, but Blair knew that if he didn't follow America it would completely sour the (essentially economically based) relationship between the two countries. Of course John Howard (Australian PM) was even worse but then again he's a complete right wing arse to start with so you shouldn't expect any less of him.

To be honest I've never liked or trusted Blair. His holier than thou attitude, the whole thing about how fabulous and good his government are despite being proved time and time again to be at least as corrupt and manipulative as the Tories before them don't exactly endear him to me. And that added to his relentless toadying to Shrub (who we should point out is *supposed* to be from a completely different political spectrum from Labour PM Blair) and I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. Mind, that's true of most politicians.

See with Maggies even though she was an evil witch from hell at least you always knew where you stood with her. When she said she thought something or that she was going to do something you knew it was true. With Blair that's simply not the case. His public image in America may be great but I would bet that that's largely due to spin and a lack of knowledge from most Americans about the actual political situation in the UK and the day to day business of the government (the same is true with regards to the British public and Shrub mind. We just detest him on an international scale not a national one, if you see what I mean).

There are a number of politicians that I would so prefer to be PM over Blair from all areas of the political world. Ken Clarke (about the only honest Tory MP there's ever been as far as I can tell), Margaret Beckett, Mo Mowlam, hell even Gordon Brown. Really I'd like to see the Lib Dems come to power though (I've always voted Plaid Cymru when I was in Wales and Lib Dem in England) but I simply can't see Charles Kennedy as PM. He's actually a great politician but he simply doesn't have the 'image' that you need these days to make it in politics.

Heh, and I say I'm not into politics. laugh

Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)
#547936 08/28/03 10:35 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
I remember what happened the last time I commented on UK politics. I won't do that again.

Except in the past tense: "Churchillian hero," from all that I've read, unfortunately ends up being a contradiction in terms .

#547937 08/28/03 10:51 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Lap Dog? Too whom?

From my perspective he held to his beliefs, showed he was strong and willing to risk his position for them, and has been able to get along with, and quite honestly lead, two completely different types of our (US) political leaders.
to whom?? who do you think referring to? i dont think i have to explain who's lap blair is sitting on. Blair held to his beliefs did he?? You bet he did , if holding true to your beliefs means making evidence up, sexing up documents as they say, then yes he held true to his beliefs. Now see Canada'a PM stayed true his beliefs, and canada got shit on for it, our PM was true to his beliefs, blair was not.

#547938 08/28/03 11:24 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Actually, every time I see him I can't help thinking that he should be doing a commercial starting with the line "I'm not a Prime Minister, but I play One on TV". If only we can make that true for his buddy the <SHRUB>

Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...
#547939 08/28/03 03:45 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Well, Mr. Blair didn't come off too well in today's testimony IMHO. But I doubt any of this will get him thrown out of office; I have heard there just isn't anyone strong enough to replace him - although Bevis listed a few candidates - I certainly don't know the UK political scene.

I bookmarked Greybird's link to the Lew Rockwell site's articles on Churchill to read later - I have read some accounts that Sir Winston was not all the image is cracked up to be. (I like that Lew Rockwell site, except for the "South shall rise again" type of stuff, and they do go on about Lincoln.... but I try to get there once a week, always lots of nuggets to munch on.)

As for Canada's stance, I'm personally glad Chretien chose to stay out of the Iraq war - although Canadians were split pretty much 50-50 on it . But who knows why he took that position? He is retiring from politics early next year, so he's legacy-tripping; perhaps the fact that our helicopters are falling out of the skies, our frigates are plagued with electronic problems and our 2nd hand submarines have cracks had something to do with the decision as well.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#547940 08/28/03 04:49 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Bevis:
Blair followed America right down the line, it didn't matter what he thought. The majority of the country were against the war, hell most of the government were against it, but Blair knew that if he didn't follow America it would completely sour the (essentially economically based) relationship between the two countries. Of course John Howard (Australian PM) was even worse but then again he's a complete right wing arse to start with so you shouldn't expect any less of him.

To be honest I've never liked or trusted Blair. His holier than thou attitude, the whole thing about how fabulous and good his government are despite being proved time and time again to be at least as corrupt and manipulative as the Tories before them don't exactly endear him to me. And that added to his relentless toadying to Shrub (who we should point out is *supposed* to be from a completely different political spectrum from Labour PM Blair) and I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. Mind, that's true of most politicians.

See with Maggies even though she was an evil witch from hell at least you always knew where you stood with her. When she said she thought something or that she was going to do something you knew it was true. With Blair that's simply not the case. His public image in America may be great but I would bet that that's largely due to spin and a lack of knowledge from most Americans about the actual political situation in the UK and the day to day business of the government (the same is true with regards to the British public and Shrub mind. We just detest him on an international scale not a national one, if you see what I mean).

There are a number of politicians that I would so prefer to be PM over Blair from all areas of the political world. Ken Clarke (about the only honest Tory MP there's ever been as far as I can tell), Margaret Beckett, Mo Mowlam, hell even Gordon Brown. Really I'd like to see the Lib Dems come to power though (I've always voted Plaid Cymru when I was in Wales and Lib Dem in England) but I simply can't see Charles Kennedy as PM. He's actually a great politician but he simply doesn't have the 'image' that you need these days to make it in politics.

Bevis is SO Right!!

#547941 08/29/03 02:34 AM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally posted by Bevis:

Bevis, I couldn't have said it better myself. I think I'm in love love love !

Seriously though, politically I believe that the worst thing that happened to this country was that John Smith died before he could be elected PM. Blair just inhereted a sleek electable party that Smith had worked damn hard getting back on the rails.

I too would like to see the Lib Dems get a shot at power. They couldn't be as incompetent as Blair and his cohorts or as destructive as the Tories.

Since moving down to England I tend to vote Green or Lib Dem. When I was in Scotland I voted Scottish Nationalist, except when I was living in those areas where Labour was so popular it wouldn't have mattered who you voted for. Then my anarchist streak broke out and I'd spoil my ballot in protest at the UK's antiquated political system.

Anyway what I find interesting is that in the build up to war with Iraq, the conflict itself, the Kelly affair and the Hutton enquiry Gordon Brown has kept very, very quite. Hmmmm...I think Mr Brown is keeping a very low profile. Leadership challenge anyone?

#547942 08/29/03 06:08 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I vote for Churchillian poodle.

Something Filthy!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,077
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star