Roll Call
0 members (), 43 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/16/24 05:48 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/16/24 05:11 AM
Happy birthday, stile86!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/16/24 05:09 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/16/24 12:25 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 11:27 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 11:26 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 11:26 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Sarcasm Kid - 05/15/24 10:20 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
LegionWorld College Game Week 2009
#561551 09/01/09 05:32 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
It's that time of year, football fans! The temps are getting crisper (someplace anyway laugh ) And the sound of shoulder pads smacking shoulder pads is about to fill air.

That's right, college football marks its triumphant return this weekend to the relief and great anticipation of college football fans everywhere.

Will the Gators win another National Championship in Tebow's final year at Gainesville? Will Notre Dame finally have a season worthy of the hype it always generates? (sorry Cobie! wink ) Who will be the Cinderella team this year?

It's time to find out!

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
Re: LegionWorld College Game Week 2009
#561552 09/01/09 06:22 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Hopefully I'll have time to preview the various conferences in the coming days but lets get things rolling right off the bat with this weeks 10 games to predict.

1. South Carolina @ NC State - THURSDAY
2. Oregon (16)@ Boise State (14)- THURSDAY
3. Georgia (13) @ Oklahoma State (9)
4. BYU (20) @ Oklahoma (3)
5. Alabama (5) @ Virginia Tech (7)
6. Maryland @ California (12)
7. Missouri @ Illinois
8. Mississippi @ Memphis - SUNDAY
9. Cincinnati @ Rutgers - MONDAY
10. Miami(FL) @ Florida State - MONDAY

Good luck and be sure to get your predictions in before the start of the first game (9 pm eastern on Thursday)

#561553 09/01/09 12:43 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Lifelong Gamecock fan. Actually sitting here in a Gamecock shirt. Hoping that they will win. But the wolfpack will be tough if Spurrier hasn't prepared the team well.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#561554 09/03/09 02:34 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
My picks for this week are as follows:

1. South Carolina @ NC State - THURSDAY ~ Tough choice but I'm going to pick South Carolina on the road. Let's hope I don't have to eat Spurrier's visor! wink

2. Oregon (16)@ Boise State (14)- THURSDAY ~ Another tough call but I'm going against the odds and picking Boise State to prevail at home and upset Oregon on their way to a BCS bid this year.

3. Georgia (13) @ Oklahoma State (9) ~ I always worry about the Bulldogs but I think the OSU Cowboys have what it takes to win at home and live up to their pre-season hype.

4. BYU (20) @ Oklahoma (3)~ Although this game isn't really at "home" for Okalhoma (The Sooners are playing in the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Artlington Texas this game) I don't think it will matter. Oklahoma by at least 10.

5. Alabama (5) @ Virginia Tech (7) ~ This should be an old fashioned slugfest but it's in Blacksburg so I'll give the nod to VTech to survive the Tide.

6. Maryland @ California (12) ~ Cal just might be a contender for the Pac 10 this year so they should easily handle Maryland in their opening game.

7. Missouri @ Illinois ~ New QB at Mizzou versus new offense at Illinois and they look pretty evenly matched on paper. I'm partial to Missouri so I'll pick them to win a squeaker.

8. Mississippi @ Memphis - SUNDAY ~ No question in my mind that Ole Miss takes this one easily although Memphis has made some major improvements.

9. Cincinnati @ Rutgers - MONDAY ~ Both these team are considered contenders for the Big East Title and appear to be fairly evenly matched as well. Since the game is in NJ, I'll take the Rutgers Scarlet Knights.

10. Miami(FL) @ Florida State - MONDAY ~ Everyone is going with the logical pick and selecting FSU at home. Makes sense since the Seminoles are formidable in Tallahassee but I'm a Hurricane through and through so I'm taking the Canes in an upset win.

#561555 09/06/09 05:49 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Poor Sooners. Get that kid a razor.

#561556 09/06/09 10:24 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Missouri beat Illinois but it was hardly a squeaker.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#561557 09/07/09 02:31 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Carolina won, but it highlighted the poor offense. Spurrier said he will be involved more with it this week. My question is, knowing that it was in rough shape before the game the last couple of weeks, why wasn't he more involved THEN?

We keep getting these guys that either haven't proven themselves anywhere else, or are on the downslide and think they are going to bring up the Gamecocks' game, and that isn't the way it works.

They got on Garcia for bailing out of the pocket, but if you looked, there wasn't the best pass protection from the O line. Wasn't all bad, but they weren't stopping penetration before he could finish his progressions.

And then, when he ran, he tried to act like a running back. I though he would get a call at one point for lowering his head.

Love my Gamecocks, but they really need to get their $#!+ together. Tired of them being also rans. They cannot blame it on the fact that they haven't spent enough for players like the other big boys, the stadium sells out each home game.

Something pithy!
#561558 09/07/09 10:08 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Congrats, Vee--awesome game! Not particularly a Miami fan, but I definitely hate me some Noles! I was afraid that squib kick would cost the 'Canes. Luckily, FSU's receiver didn't have the best hands.

Don't give up on posting picks...I'll do my damndest to participate next week. Plus, Cobester should also be back and rarin' to go, I'd imagine.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#561559 09/08/09 01:49 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Wow! If anyone missed the Miami/FSU game, you missed one of the best college football games in a long time. Both QBs had tremendous games, there were 6 or 7 lead changes during the game and the final two minutes were amazing with the game being decided on the final second in a nailbiter play the results of which had to be reviewed!!!

That was a classic Canes v Noles battle!

#561560 09/08/09 02:15 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I must admit to being pleased with my results this week. 7 of 10 with some of the against the odds picks I made is a result I'll take anytime. Anyway, here are this weeks 10 games. Hope some others decide to play as well or this could get a little bit boring.

Clemson @ GA Tech (15) - THURSDAY
Iowa (22) @ Iowa State
East Carolina @ West Virginia
Notre Dame (23) @ Michigan
UCLA @ Tennessee
Miss State @ Auburn
South Carolina @ Georgia (13)
USC (4) @ Ohio State (6)
North Carolina @ UConn
Purdue @ Oregon (16)

Lots of lopsided contests this week so it was tough coming up with 10 games that were challenging. Good luck everyone!

#561561 09/09/09 12:07 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm back and will try to get some picks in. Saw that Miami / FS game. Wow, one of the best games I've seen in awhile and a helluva way to start the season.

Sucks about the Sooners.

We need Kippers here--the Tide looks ferocious this year.

Week 1 had the typical lopsided powerhouse vs. easy win games that I dislike. This week seems equally off-kilter but I hope we'll see some upsets.

#561562 09/09/09 02:49 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

Week 1 had the typical lopsided powerhouse vs. easy win games that I dislike. This week seems equally off-kilter but I hope we'll see some upsets.
Yes, I was particularly impressed with Florida v Charleston Southern of the mighty Big South Conference. tongue

Good to see you back Cobie! Now get your picks posted! laugh

#561563 09/09/09 03:01 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Note: strikes though the losers

Clemson @ <strike>GA Tech (15)</strike> - THURSDAY
If I were impartial, I'd pick GT, but I won't pick against my Tigers here. I do feel we should have a good shot with our defense and C.J. Spiller at running back.

Iowa (22) @ <strike>Iowa State</strike>
Absolutely no preference, here. I'll go with rank and Iowa's impression after thumping South Carolina in last year's Outback Bowl.

<strike>East Carolina</strike> @ West Virginia
Hard choice here, but I'll go with what I think is the superior program, albeit one in its uncertain post-Rich Rodriguez era.

Notre Dame (23) @ <strike>Michigan</strike>
Very tough pick! Neither played a premier team last week, so I don't really know their identities yet. Both could be huge flops or BCS contenders! I'll go with Notre Dame and their retuning starters. Plus, I kinda want ND to matter again some, as a college football fan.

UCLA @ <strike>Tennessee</strike>
Can't stand Lane Kiffin! I'd like nothing more than to see him get a black eye from UCLA this weekend!

Miss State @ <strike>Auburn</strike>
Auburn made a huge mistake canning Tommy Tuberville.

<strike>South Carolina</strike> @ Georgia (13)
Neither team looked good last week, but SC's offense was PITIFUL! SC's D will keep it close, but it won't be enough.

USC (4) @ <strike>Ohio State (6)</strike>
Pete Carroll's USC team always rises to the occasion in the biggest games. When they lose, it's the one you don't expect. USC will win.

North Carolina @ <strike>UConn</strike>
I'm hoping UNC will help show that the ACC has good football teams that can win.

<strike>Purdue</strike> @ Oregon (16)
I think Oregon will bounce back from last week's upset loss.

#561564 09/10/09 10:50 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Here I go (in brief, damn work taking up my time):

(1) Georgia Tech over Clemson – I kind of route for Clemson now because of Lardy (like I root for the Crimson Tide, Penn State and the Sooner for some other friends or posters), but I think GT is a good team and they’ll want to do what it takes to win this one.

(2) Iowa over Iowa State – I have the feeling Iowa is the better team but I think this one will be closer than analysts will predict. If Iowa State pulled this off, I wouldn’t be shocked.

(3) West Virginia over East Carolina – West Virginia has been really good these last few years and I think that will continue this year albeit to a lesser degree. Still strong enough to bump off East Carolina though.

(4) Notre Dame over Michigan – Vee knows that if he puts in ND or UCONN I will pick them even if they have bad seasons laugh . However, I do think ND will have a good season this year and I desperately want them to beat Michigan to set the tempo.

(5) Tennessee over UCLA – I actually think this will be Lane Kiffin’s big debut game this year, and even though its not Oakland, its still a CA team he’s playing. I feel like this game will matter to him personally and he’ll be pushing

(6) Auburn over Miss State – this is the hardest one for me to pick, but I’m going Auburn.

(7) Georgia over South Carolina – Georgia will eventually be playing as good as they are this year but South Carolina always gives them a tough game. Should be close.

(8) USC over Ohio State – I have no great love for USC, and in fact, usually root for them to lose, but I like Ohio State even less. I feel like Ohio State is going to get a beating by USC in this one. BTW, great analysis Lardy about USC always losing when you don’t expect it. Also, I hope Penn State beats Ohio State soon after this game.

(9) UCONN over NC – Per Vee’s devious plan, I’ll probably lose this one, but I’m hoping UCONN pulls off an upset and smacks around NC. Especially since NC’s “big win” over the Citadel last week came as no surprise to anyone and that 40-6 score deserves revenge.

(10) Oregon over Purdue – I think Oregon has something to prove after last week and needs to do it NOW.

Other Random Thoughts
- I’d love it if Wyoming upset Texas to get Texas as messed up as Oklahoma is right now.
- Syracuse has something to prove after their loss last week but I don’t think they’ll do it against Penn State.
- A lot of eyes will be on Oklahoma to see how they do without Bradford. I think they’ll likely beat Idaho St.

#561565 09/10/09 04:14 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Dooooooohhhhh! Cobie finally figured out my nefarious scheme! wink

Clemson @ GA Tech (15) - THURSDAY ~ This si always a tough game but I think Georgia Tech has the advantage this year.

Iowa (22) @ Iowa State ~ Iowa is definitely a strong team this year but the Cyclones always give them a tussle. Since it's at Iowa State I'm going out on a limb and calling for an upset by the Cyclones this week.

East Carolina @ West Virginia ~ The Mountaineers have a new coach but still have a great deal of talent. I don't think the Pirates can beat them in Morgantown.

Notre Dame (23) @ Michigan ~ Hate to say it ( wink ) but I think the irish have a real shot this year and Michigan still looks a bit confused. Yes Cobie, i picked Notre Dame!

UCLA @ Tennessee ~ Both teams had high expectations last year and failed to live up to them so both will be looking to get back on track. I think home field advantage will be the determining factor in this one so I'm taking the Vols.

Miss State @ Auburn ~ Miss State has really improved over the past few years. I'm taking them over Auburn because I think they have the better team.

South Carolina @ Georgia (13) ~ After last week's games, both teams have a lot to prove. Georgia has more talent on both sides of the field so shoul be able to pull this one off.

USC (4) @ Ohio State (6) ~ Can I just quote Cobie here? "I have no great love for USC, and in fact, usually root for them to lose, but I like Ohio State even less." Guess I have to say "Go Trojans!"

North Carolina @ UConn ~ As Cobie well knows, I've been a big fan of UConn for quite some time. If this were in Chapel Hill I would grudgingly pick UNC but it's in Stors so I'm going with the Huskies.

Purdue @ Oregon (16) ~ Oregon got embarrassed on national TV last week. The Boilermakers better look out because the Ducks will be loaded for bear and I doubt Purdue can handle them.

#561566 09/10/09 10:07 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Re: Clemson/GT

...ugh...

'nuff said

#561567 09/12/09 03:09 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Toledo beat Colorado??!!!! Wow!

Now that's got to be the upset of the week

#561568 09/12/09 09:24 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm watching college game day and was reminded about last year's Miss State /Auburn game that was 3-2. Man that was bad. I expect this game to be more high-flying.

#561569 09/12/09 02:13 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
...and Central Michigan just beat Michigan State in a great game.

As I recall, Week 2 last year saw a number of major upsets. Wonder if this year will follow form.

#561570 09/14/09 03:32 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Man, I had an abysmal Week 2 with my picks! I should know that Notre Dame will always do me wrong! wink

After two weeks here are the standings:

Cobie 70% (7/10)
Lardy 70% (7/10
Vee 60% (12/20)

Grats to both Cobie and Lardy for a good week.

Here are the AP Top 25 after Week 2...

* 1.Florida (56)
* 2.Texas (1)
* 3.USC (1)
* 4.Alabama (2)
* 5.Penn St.
* 5.Mississippi
* 7.BYU
* 8.California
* 9.LSU
* 10.Boise St.
* 11.Ohio St.
* 12.Oklahoma
* 13.Virginia Tech
* 14.Georgia Tech
* 15.TCU
* 16.Oklahoma St.
* 17.Cincinnati
* 18.Utah
* 19.Nebraska
* 20.Miami (FL)
* 21.Houston
* 22.Kansas
* 23.Georgia
* 24.North Carolina
* 25.Michigan

#561571 09/14/09 03:36 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
And here are the 10 games for Week 3.

Georgia Tech @ Miami - THURSDAY
Louisville @ Kentucky
Boston College @ Clemson
Michigan State @ ND
Utah @ Oregon
Nebraska @ Virginia Tech
Florida State @ BYU
West Virginia @ Auburn
Georgia @ Arkansas
Texas Tech @ Texas

This promises to be a much better week as far as much ups with some pretty interesting games. Please make sure to get your picks in before game time for the Georgia Tech-Miami game on Thursday.

#561572 09/16/09 09:11 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
<strike>Georgia Tech</strike> @ Miami
If Miami's really for real, they've gotta win this one. I'm guessing they will. Tech was lucky to get by Clemson after blowing that huge lead. I think Clemson exposed Tech's weaknesses for their opponents to exploit.

<strike>Louisville</strike> @ Kentucky
Both teams are kinda off the radar so far this year, so I don't have a feel for them yet...don't even know their records. I'll go with the home team and the SEC over the Big East by default.

<strike>Boston College</strike> @ Clemson
BC ain't what they were. Their best players have left for the NFL. Hopefully, Clemson won't eff this one up!

<strike>Michigan State</strike> @ ND
Home game should be what the doctor ordered for ND after that heartbreaking loss last week. With what happened to the Spartans last week, if the Irish lose this one, Chuck Weiss is not long for his job.

Utah @ <strike>Oregon</strike>
Utah had an unimpressive win last week, but ya gotta figure the chaps who kicked the crap outta 'Bama last January have got a little somethin'-somethin' for the reeling Ducks.

<strike>Nebraska</strike> @ Virginia Tech
Gotta think Beamer and the Hokies will circle the wagons on the 'Huskers at home.

<strike>Florida State</strike> @ BYU
Will the Noles drop to a rare -2 start? Why yes they will to the red-hot BYU team still out to prove themselves to the world!

<strike>West Virginia</strike> @ Auburn
Well, maybe the Tuberville-less Tigers got a little somethin' after all!

<strike>Georgia</strike> @ Arkansas
I think home field was all that saved the Bulldogs last week. If Petrino's worth his salt, he'll exploit all the weaknesses that were exposed last week. Could be a looong year for Georgia fans!

<strike>Texas Tech</strike> @ Texas
I'd like to see Colt McCoy contend for a national championship this year. Gotta roll over the Red Raiders first.

#561573 09/16/09 09:13 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Hmm. Hopefully, my dominantly home team inclinations this week won't come back to bite me in the ass! (most worried about Arkansas, ND & especially Clemson for obvious reasons! gasp )

#561574 09/17/09 04:31 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Georgia Tech @ Miami - THURSDAY ~ Miami at home should carry the day.

Louisville @ Kentucky ~ These intrastate rivals all go all out when facing each other. Lopsided victories against Indiana State and Miami (Ohio) respectively don't really tell us much about either team. I'm going with Kentucky at home.

Boston College @ Clemson ~ Not sure which way to go with this pick. Clemson had a tough loss last week against Georgia Tech but BC has yet to be face a decent team. My gut tells me BC will pull this one out so I'll go with that.

Michigan State @ ND ~ Ugh, ND lost a heart breaker against Michigan last week but the Spartans' loss to the Central Michigan Chippewas was even worse. However, ND always messes me up when I pick them so I'll take the Spartans in an upset at South Bend.

Utah @ Oregon ~ Oregon has failed to impress me this year and Utah continues to roll. Utah wins.

Nebraska @ Virginia Tech ~ Nebraska has had an easy run so far facing Florida Atlantic and Arkansas State while VA Tech has been facing Alabama and Marshall. The Huskers will get taken to the woodshed in Blacksburg.

Florida State @ BYU ~ This game should tell us which of these teams is for real. FSU lost a great game against Miami in the opener and BYU beat Oklahoma by 1. Since the game is in Utah, I'm taking BYU at home.

West Virginia @ Auburn ~ Auburn has won me over and should be able to beat WVU at home.

Georgia @ Arkansas ~ This could be a tough game but I really think the 'Dogs will prevail on the road.

Texas Tech @ Texas ~ This was one of the best games of the season last year but Texas Tech lost much more to the pros in the draft and will be hard pressed to beat Texas. Texas wins at home.

#561575 09/17/09 05:50 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Miami tonight, will do others when have a moment. I feel pike this is Miami's year to return to the elite after that game vs FSU.

#561576 09/18/09 12:24 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm literally running a million miles a minute at work, so I'll have to be brief:

Kentucky

Boston College (sorry Lardy)

ND - you did this to me on purpose Vee laugh . The Spartans have never EVER let me down when I pick them. But if ND wins and I didn't pick them, I'd be a traitor *and* a loser; can't have that. Lets see it Irish.

Utah

Virginia Tech - Nebraska is one of those teams always given credit than they deserve every year out of nostalgia for the past; hopefully that will change--but not this year.

BYU - I think we're all hoping something special happens with Brigham Young this year.

Auburn

Georgia

Texas - I also wish Texas Tech would upset them but they lost so many players from last year that it probably won't happen now. But I expect the Red Raiders to be dangerous again within a season or two.

#561577 09/19/09 11:25 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Yay! I'm 7-3 again, but I'm especially stoked about my Tigers taking down BC! In your face, fellas!!! tease

One lesson learned for all of us, however: Don't fall in love with the Cinderella teams of Utah--that carriage has officially turned into a pumpkin!

#561578 09/19/09 11:28 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
And regarding the NCAA's marquee upset this week, let us be reminded of some sage words we heard last week:

Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Pete Carroll's USC team always rises to the occasion in the biggest games. When they lose, it's the one you don't expect.
Yuh-HUH! laugh

#561579 09/20/09 08:39 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Yea, that USC loss was a plesant surprise.

How 'bout that ND game? What a great game! What a great win! A hard fought victory, indeed. Bring on USC in a few weeks laugh

#561580 09/21/09 03:39 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
After three weeks here are the standings:

Cobie 70% (14/20)
Lardy 70% (14/20)
Vee 60% (18/30)

Damn ND screws with me again!

Grats Cobie and Lardy with another 7-3 week each!

And here are the newest rankings...

AP Top 25

* 1.Florida (55)
* 2.Texas (2)
* 3.Alabama (3)
* 4.Mississippi
* 5.Penn St.
* 6.California
* 7.LSU
* 8.Boise St.
* 9.Miami (FL)
* 10.Oklahoma
* 11.Virginia Tech
* 12.USC
* 13.Ohio St.
* 14.Cincinnati
* 15.TCU
* 16.Oklahoma St.
* 17.Houston
* 18.Florida St.
* 19.BYU
* 20.Kansas
* 21.Georgia
* 22.North Carolina
* 23.Michigan
* 24.Washington
* 25.Nebraska

Miami moved up to 9th after defeating FSU and Georgia Tech in the first two games but now must face Virginia Tech (11) and then Oklahoma (10 in the next two weeks. Talk about a tough schedule to open the season!

Sure seems like Washington should have been ranked higher that 24 after taking out USC.

USC fell all the way to 12th.

South Florida QB Matt Grothe, a terrific player that's led that team to extraordinary success over the past two seasons, including a #2 ranking at one point last year, suffered a sever ACL tear in his left knee and will be out for the rest of the year. This was his senior year and sadly the injury came in the second quarter of a meaningless game against Charleston Southern. Sad news.

I'll post this weeks ten games later.

#561581 09/21/09 03:58 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
And here are the ten games for this week...

1. Mississippi @ South Carolina ~ THURSDAY
2. Michigan State @ Wisconsin
3. LSU @ Miss State
4. North Carolina @ Georgia Tech
5. UCF @ East Carolina
6. Miami @ Virginia Tech
7. Cal @ Oregon
8. Arkansas @ Alabama
9. Iowa @ Penn State
10. Washington @ Stanford

#561582 09/21/09 05:11 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I hope everyone who's viewed this topic knows that they can jump in, make picks and comment all they want to. This thread's open to everyone!

#561583 09/21/09 08:35 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Yep, the more the merrier! smile

#561584 09/23/09 03:22 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Here are my picks for this week. Don't forget to post your picks before the start of the game on Thursday!

1. Mississippi @ South Carolina - THURSDAY ~ All the odds I've seen show Mississippi losing to South Carolina by about 3 points which makes some sense sine it is on the Gamecocks' home turf. And yet, I think Ole Miss is a much better team than SC, so I'm picking the Rebels.

2. Michigan State @ Wisconsin ~ Michigan State is coming off two tough losses, first against Central Michigan in a week 2 shocker and then a close one last week against Notre Dame. Wisconsin has yet to face a top notch team but they are playing at home. I'll go with a the Spartans looking for redemption.

3. LSU @ Miss State ~ I'm not a big fan of LSU but I think they should be able to handle this road game aginst Miss State.

4. North Carolina @ Georgia Tech ~ After the loss to Miami on national TV, the Yellow Jackets should be loaded for bear. Although the Tar Heels beat East Carolina last Saturday, they struggled for a big part of the game against what should have been an easy opponent for them. With the game in Atlanta, I'll give the edge to Georgia Tech.

5. UCF @ East Carolina ~ UCF has yet to face an opponent of the Pirates' caliber. Both teams open up their Conf USA schedule with this game and ECU has something to prove after the disappointing loss to UNC last weekend. I'll be rooting for UCF but betting on the Pirates to win.

6. Miami @ Virginia Tech ~ Game 3 of a 4 game gauntlet like no one else has faced this season. Miami is looking to keep it's win streak and Top 20 ranking alive but must do it against ACC rival Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, never friendly territory for the Canes. Of the first four games, this is the one that worried me miost before the start of the season when I said I would be happy to go 2-2 in this stretch. Gotta take Miami though. Go Canes!

7. Cal @ Oregon ~ The Bears are coming off fairly easy win at Minnesota while the Ducks found redemption last week by beating a highly ranked Utah team. Although I believe Cal has the better talent, they could very well be looking ahead to their next game against USC and may be caught flatfooted against Oregon. I'll take the Ducks to pull out a close one at home.

8. Arkansas @ Alabama ~ Although the razorbacks have been impressive, Alabama is as tough as they come and this game is at home for the Tide. I'll take 'Bama.

9. Iowa @ Penn State ~ Although I think the Nittany Lions will win, I think Iowa will give them a real battle. Penn State at home for the win.

10. Washington @ Stanford ~ The Huskies showed that they can play in the big leagues last week by upsetting USC. Now they have to play an equally dangerous team that's been flying under the radar. Whoever wins this game takes sole possiession of the top spot in the Pac 10 and I'm afraid Washington may still be enjoying their win against the Trojans instead of worrying about the Cardinal. I'll tale Stanford at home.

#561585 09/23/09 07:51 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
1. <strike>Mississippi</strike> @ South Carolina
Last year, the Gamecocks spoiled Ole Miss's afterglow the week after the Rebs had beaten Florida. I think they'll have an even tougher time at Williams-Brice despite the high ranking.

2. <strike>Michigan State</strike> @ Wisconsin
Is Mich. State really that bad this year? Here's where we find out. I think the home team takes it.

3. LSU @ <strike>Miss State</strike>
LSU's on the way back up. I think they take it to Miss State.

4. <strike>North Carolina</strike> @ Georgia Tech
BIG matchup in the ACC, for sure. I like the Ramblin' Wreck at home.

5. <strike>UCF</strike> @ East Carolina
No clear preference here, so the home team gets the nod.

6. Miami @ <strike>Virginia Tech</strike>
Here's where Miami proves it's really back.

7. <strike>Cal</strike> @ Oregon
Should be a good game, but home field will give the Ducks the intangibles they need to pull another upset.

8. <strike>Arkansas</strike> @ Alabama
The Tide will drown the Razorbacks. It won't even be close.

9. <strike>Iowa</strike> @ Penn State
Home field's too big of an advantage for PSU here.

10. Washington @ <strike>Stanford</strike>
Washington will prove it wasn't a one-week wonder.

#561586 09/23/09 07:53 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
This week could really put me in the toilet! The only pick I feel really solid on is Alabama. We'll see how the Gamecocks will set the tone for me Thursday...

#561587 09/24/09 07:02 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
This week looks like the one that'll knock me for a loop. Here I go:

1. Ole Miss over South Carolina - this is one I think can go 50/50. I love Old Miss and their traditions so I'm going with them, though I'm not sure they deserve that high ranking. But I'm not sure South Carolina is good enough to prove it otherwise.

2. Michigan State over Wisconsin – The Spartans are a tough team and way better than how they look on paper right now. After a tough loss last week, its time to remind everyone that.

3. LSU over Miss State – LSU should win this one, and I’m predicting they do so big.

4. Georgia Tech over North Carolina – I think GT is just the better team here and they’re playing in their house, but this should be a good game.

5. East Carolina over UCF – This is another one with teams I’m not all that knowledgeable this year, so go with home team.

6. Miami over Virginia Tech – I’m buying into the Hurricanes gravy train, and am excited they might make a run for it. VT won’t be a pushover though, so I actually hope I can find this one on television.

7. Oregon over Cal – Cal is one of those teams that has all the talent but I think just gets more credit they deserve. On the other hand, the Ducks have to fight for every single inch of respect they get, and I like that about them. I’d like to see them continue from last week.

8. Alabama over Arkansas – ROLL TIDE!!! (for you, Kippers!)

9. Penn State over Iowa – not only do I have my good friends who work for Penn State, I have my old roommate and her boyfriend going to be there this weekend for College Gameday. Should be awesome, and I expect Penn State to beat them and beat them hard, after last year’s upset. Trust me, they have not forgot it and won’t shut up about it for the last year.

10. Stanford over Washington – Yet another I could easily be wrong about, but I’m gong with Stanford. I like Washington’s victory over USC last week—actually was cheering for them—but I feel they won’t be riding high much longer.

#561588 09/24/09 09:13 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Carolina beat #4 at home. OH HELL YEAH WITH A SUGAR COATED LOLLIPOP!

GO COCKS!

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BABYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Something pithy!
#561589 09/24/09 09:26 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Well that's a poor start to my selections this week. frown Oh well, 1 down, 9 to go.

Grats to Lardy for picking the Gamecocks and to rickshaw for a fun win for his team. I'll bet that was a nerve racking 4th quarter to watch. Almost as if a completely different Rebel team came out onto the field for the last 15 minutes.

#561590 09/24/09 09:45 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Yeah, I put my neck out their for the Cocks, and they didn't let me down! They finally nearly played up to their potential on both sides of the ball, especially defensively.

I went to Clemson, and they're number one with me. But I always root for the Cocks unless the two teams are playing each other. This goes back to high school when I struggled over which school to attend. It was a close decision then, and I have never forgotten that.

That said, I didn't pick Carolina just as a homer call at all. I knew they could beat Ole Miss (as they did last year) if they played as well as they could. Plus, I felt the Rebs were definitely ranked to high for what they've proven so far, which was nothing!

Now, I'm hoping the same plays out with Clemson and TCU Saturday. Though Vee didn't pick this matchup, I feel it should be a good one. I feel like Clemson should win this one just as Carolina should have won (and did win) tonight.

#561591 09/25/09 07:22 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Yeah, it did seem like a different team showed up in the fourth, but I have to say that even though that little fellow for Ole Miss was fast, our defense got their second wind at exactly the right time.

Lardy, Yeah, Sweeney should have Clemson ready for TCU. But they should be a pretty tough team none the less.

Something pithy!
#561592 09/27/09 07:42 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Sorry bout Clemson, Lardy. I pull for them when they aren't playing USC. I thought they had a chance against TCU but they really stalled out at the end.

Something pithy!
#561593 09/27/09 10:07 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
After three weeks here are the standings:

Cobie 67% (20/30)
Lardy 70% (21/30)
Vee 60% (24/40)

AP Top 25

* 1.Florida (55)
* 2.Texas (1)
* 3.Alabama (3)
* 4.LSU
* 5.Boise St.
* 6.Virginia Tech
* 7.USC
* 8.Oklahoma
* 9.Ohio St.
* 10.Cincinnati
* 11.TCU
* 12.Houston
* 13.Iowa
* 14.Oklahoma St.
* 15.Penn St.
* 16.Oregon
* 17.Miami (FL)
* 18.Kansas
* 18.Georgia
* 20.BYU
* 21.Mississippi
* 22.Michigan
* 23.Nebraska
* 24.California
* 25.Georgia Tech

#561594 09/28/09 06:08 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I know Carolina isn't in the top 25, but I can't find a ranking for them anywhere.

Something pithy!
#561595 09/28/09 07:38 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
I know Carolina isn't in the top 25, but I can't find a ranking for them anywhere.
Rick, South Carolina comes in at 28th in the AP poll (Missouri & Auburn are 26 & 27) and they are 29th in the USA Today Poll (behind Georgia Tech, South Florida, and Auburn)

#561596 09/28/09 07:41 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
The ten games for Week 5 are as follows:

Clemson @ Maryland
East Carolina @ Marshall
Michigan @ Michigan State
UCLA @ Stanford
NC State @ Wake Forest
LSU @ Georgia
Penn State @ Illinois
Auburn @ Tennessee
Oklahoma @ Miami
USC @ California

Please be sure to get your picks in before the start of the first game on Saturday.

#561597 09/28/09 08:39 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Thanks Vee. 'preciate it. Couldn't find it anywhere. Not as bad as I thought, not as good as I hoped. Watching panthers lose right now, unfortunately.

Something pithy!
#561598 09/28/09 08:46 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Clemson @ Maryland- clemson over terps
East Carolina @ Marshall- Marshall over pirates
Michigan @ Michigan State- Michigan
UCLA @ Stanford- UCLA
NC State @ Wake Forest- NC state
LSU @ Georgia- LSU
Penn State @ Illinois- Penn
Auburn @ Tennessee- Auburn
Oklahoma @ Miami- Oklahoma
USC @ California- Gonna go with Cal

Something pithy!
#561599 09/29/09 02:52 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Welcome to the game rickshaw! Good luck

#561600 10/01/09 08:25 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Clemson @ Maryland ~ I'll take Clemson even though the game is in College Park. Maryland has been disappointing this year and Clemson is the tougher squad.

East Carolina @ Marshall ~ I've been a fan of Marshall for some time. They are one of those teams that fly under the radar. Marshall at home for the win over the Pirates.

Michigan @ Michigan State ~ I wish I knew which version of both of these teams will be playing this Saturday. That being said, I'll take Michigan State at home and cross my fingers.

UCLA @ Stanford ~ The Bruins have had an off week to preapre and the Cardinal are coming off their big victory against Washington. Tough call but I'll take UCLA.

NC State @ Wake Forest ~ Highest rank ACC offense (WF) against best ACC defense (NCState) plus two great QBs should make for a fun game to watch. I'll take Riley Skinner & the Deamon Deacons at home to barely outlast the Wolfpack attack.

LSU @ Georgia ~ The Bulldogs been very very good to me laugh I'll stick with them against the Bengal Tigers.

Penn State @ Illinois ~ The Fightin Illini are a tough, tough team but I can't see Paterno's boys lossing two in a row to Iowa and Illinois. I'll take PSU.

Auburn @ Tennessee ~ Auburn comes into the game 4-0 while Tennessee is an average 2-2. I believe Auburn is the better team but you have to be alot better to survive playing in Knoxville. I'll take the Vols at home.

Oklahoma @ Miami ~ Bradford will not play the say but the backup QB at Oklahome may be just as good. Still, I believe my Hurricanes will prevail against the Sooners.

USC @ California ~ Tough call. Both suffered surprising losses while ranked in the top 5. Who will handle it better? Your guess is as good as mine. I'll take USC to win.

#561601 10/02/09 07:46 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Clemson @ <strike>Maryland</strike>
Hopefully, this isn't the point where Friedgen rallies his team with their backs against the wall.

East Carolina @ <strike>Marshall</strike>
Not familiar with Marshall this year, but ECU's been very game with bigger programs recently. I'll give them the edge.

Michigan @ <strike>Michigan State</strike>
The Spartans may very well win this one, but they haven't shown much of anything thus far.

<strike>UCLA</strike> @ Stanford
No clue! I'll go with the home team here as you never know what UCLA team is gonna show!

<strike>NC State</strike> @ Wake Forest
Wake isn't quite the same team from the past few years, but I gotta think they'll have something in store for the Wolfpack.

<strike>LSU</strike> @ Georgia
Georgia has strengthened after a shaky start, and I think LSU's not as good as their ranking and undefeated record might indicate.

<strike>Penn State</strike> @ Illinois
The Illini under Zook have come up with a few home upsets. I think we'll see another here, especially since I think PSU's overrated.

<strike>Auburn</strike> @ Tennessee
Should be a really good game and a chance to see what both teams are made of. I think Lane's dad Monty's D will have something for the Tigers O.

<strike>Oklahoma</strike> @ Miami
Another 'what they're made of' game. I think the Canes will be too strong at home for the Bradford-less Sooners. If not, I may not pick the Canes again after this!

USC @ <strike>California</strike>
Cal proved they're overrated last week. I expect USC to show up and serve notice like they always do in big games.

#561602 10/03/09 10:08 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Tryin to get this in after traveling all week:

Clemson

Marshall

michigan state

stanford

Wake forest

LSU

Penn State

Auburn

Oklahoma

USC

#561603 10/03/09 09:47 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Yeehaw!

Go Canes! smile

To have gone 3-1 in the first four games this season is quite an accomplishment. Many predicted Miami could be 0-4 at this point and I would have been satisfied to have us come out of this at 2-2.

It's all about the "U"!
laugh

#561604 10/04/09 08:44 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
After five weeks here are the standings:

Cobie 67% (27/40)
Lardy 65% (26/40)
rickshaw1 30% (3/10)
Vee 58% (29/50)

AP Top 25

* 1.Florida (54)
* 2.Texas (1)
* 3.Alabama (5)
* 4.LSU
* 5.Virginia Tech
* 6.Boise St.
* 7.USC
* 8.Cincinnati
* 9.Ohio St.
* 10.TCU
* 11.Miami (FL)
* 12.Iowa
* 13.Oregon
* 14.Penn St.
* 15.Oklahoma St.
* 16.Kansas
* 17.Auburn
* 18.BYU
* 19.Oklahoma
* 20.Mississippi
* 21.Nebraska
* 22.Georgia Tech
* 23.South Florida
* 24.Missouri
* 25.South Carolina

#561605 10/05/09 07:33 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Here are the ten games for this week.

Nebraska (23) @ Missouri ~ THURSDAY
Boston College @ Virginia Tech (5)
Connecticut @ Pitt
Alabama (3) @ Mississippi (21)
West Virginia @ Syracuse
Wisconsin @ Ohio State(9)
Maryland @ Wake Forest
Utah @ Colorado State
Florida (1) @ LSU (4)
Michigan (22) @ Iowa (13)

Please note that there is a Thursday night game in the group this week so make sure that you get your selections posted before the start of the game on Thursday evening (9pm eastern)

Good luck all!

#561606 10/05/09 11:10 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
And now you know why I don't bet on games, lol. I was guessing on most and the Clemson game...I shoulda known.

So,

Nebraska
Virginia
Pitt
Alabama
Syracuse
Ohio State
Maryland
Utah
Florida
Iowa

Note, these may be revised before thurs.

Something pithy!
#561607 10/07/09 10:06 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Mizz - but the QB will throw his first interception (side bet? laugh )

Virginia Tech

UCONN - Pitt is the team I hate the most of all UCONN's enemies

Alabama

West Virginia- toss up for UCONN's enemies but I think West Virginia is better, even away

Ohio State

Wake Forest - just like Kirk Herbstreet, I'm really big on Wake Forest. I like these guys and their program has come a long away, just like UCONN's, another basketball school.

Utah - both teams are pretty unimpressive thus far, but Utah looks better. Home advantage won't come into play here as much as in other places.

LSU - this is the hardest one to pick of course, but a few things: night game at Tiger Stadium; no Tebow; Florida needs to get a loss out of the way anyway as I doubt any major team will go undefeated this year. Still, should be a really great game.

Iowa - I watched that Penn State game and Iowa is pretty damn good. Better than they get credit for, and they're actually getting a good amount of credit. Meanwhile, Michigan isn't terrible, but they're not exactly a premier team again yet. That Michigan name always gives them more leeway but even though they beat ND, they didn't look spectacular. Plus, I want Iowa to kick their asses so they lose two in a row.

#561608 10/07/09 02:42 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Ummm, heard on ESPN sports where Meyers is saying Tebow is good to go. Don't know if the docs have cleared him yet, but they are banking on it from what I can tell.

Something pithy!
#561609 10/07/09 02:45 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I was thinking bout changing the Mary/Wake game, its why I was not setting it completely yet, but I think I am gonna stick with the terps. Don't ask me why. I just think that the Clemson win is gonna pull them together a little more, and for all its improvement, wake is still a small college football program. Don't know if its ready for prime time yet.

Something pithy!
#561610 10/07/09 02:51 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Local sports stations are reporting that Tebow dressed for practice yesterday but they still have not allowed him to take part in contact drills.

Urban Meryes would be foolish to play him agianst LSU on Saturday, IMO. He's already taken a great deal of heat for having him in the game that late as it is. God forbid he puts him in too early and Tebow gets hurt again.

Fact is, Tebow is unlikely to be 100% recovered and while he might be good enough to play, he won't be Tebow. Urban would probably rather have the excuse that Tebow didn't play if they lose than lose with Tebow in the game and have to admit that he wasn't ready to come back yet.

#561611 10/07/09 03:04 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Nebraska (23) @ Missouri - THURSDAY ~ I still think Nebraska is living off of their rep more than they deserve. I'll take Mizzou at home.

Boston College @ Virginia Tech (5) ~ I'll be rooting every week for someone in the ACC to beat VTech but I don't think it will be BC in Blacksburg. I'll have to take the Hokies at home.

Connecticut @ Pitt ~ As much as I like UConn, Pitt is much improved and I think they'll prevail against the Huskies.

Alabama (3) @ Mississippi (21) ~ Tough call. Ole Miss has really impressed me this year but I think 'Bama is still too tough for them.

West Virginia @ Syracuse ~ Syracuse still has a long way to go. WVU will take this one fairly easily I think.

Wisconsin @ Ohio State(9) ~ I wish this game was at Wisconsine but at Ohio State I'll have to pick the Buckeyes.

Maryland @ Wake Forest ~ Wake Forest is the better team with the better offense & QB. Maryland has been too inconsistent. I'll take WF for the win.

Utah @ Colorado State ~ The Rams are always tough at home and always manage a few upsets but I think the Utes will carry the day.

Florida (1) @ LSU (4) ~ Whether or not Tebow plays, there have been too many distractions in Gainesville because of his injury and speculation conerning whether he'll play or not. LSU has the talent to match up with Florida. I'll take LSU in an upset.

Michigan (22) @ Iowa (13) ~ After seeing Iowa in two games, I think they have enough skill to beat anyone in the conference. Michigan just isn't up to par yet so I'll take the Hawkeyes at home.

#561612 10/07/09 04:49 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Nebraska (23) @ <strike>Missouri</strike>
This was actually the toughest for me to pick. I don't know much about Mizzou in the post-Chase Daniel era. Mostly I'm going by my lingering memory of the 'Huskers' victory against my Tigers in the Gator Bowl last season as my gut feeling.

<strike>Boston College</strike> @ Virginia Tech (5)
It won't even be close.

Connecticut @ <strike>Pitt</strike>
Not impressed at all with Pitt under Wannstadt.

Alabama (3) @ <strike>Mississippi (21)</strike>
The Tide is the superior team here by a mile.

West Virginia @ <strike>Syracuse</strike>
Things are looking up for the Orange somewhat, but the Mountaineers should pull it off. This could end up a signature win for the 'Cuse, though.

<strike>Wisconsin</strike> @ Ohio State(9)
Wisconsin could very well take this one. It might be close, but I think the Buckeyes' home field advantage will pull them through.[/i]

<strike>Maryland</strike> @ Wake Forest
Yeah, they beat my Tigers last week, but the Terps should have their hands full away against the Deacs.

Utah @ <strike>Colorado State</strike>
If the Utes wanna have any credibility left, they gotta take care of this team.

<strike>Florida (1)</strike> @ LSU (4)
Tebow's status is still in the air. If he plays will he really be Tebow? If not, what's his backup got? Either way, I don't think the offense will click as well. I like LSU at home for the upset.

<strike>Michigan (22)</strike> @ Iowa (13)
The Wolverines are much improved over last year, but the Hawkeyes are better and have home field to put them over the top.

EDITED DUE TO ERRORS IN CLARIFYING PICKS--Lardy

#561613 10/11/09 07:08 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Congrats to all the participants this week for such tremendous results!

rickshaw1 - 80%
Lard Lad - 80%
Vee - 80%
Cobie - 70%

After six weeks here are the standings:

Cobie 74% (37/50)
Lardy 68% (34/50)
rickshaw1 55% (11/20)
Vee 62% (37/60)

I'll post the newest AP ranking as soon as they are announced

#561614 10/11/09 01:50 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Here are the latest rankings. I'll get the ten games of the week up later tonight or tomorrow.

AP Top 25
* 1.Florida (50)
* 2.Alabama (10)
* 3.Texas
* 4.Virginia Tech
* 5.Boise St.
* 6.USC
* 7.Ohio St.
* 8.Cincinnati
* 9.Miami (FL)
* 10.LSU
* 11.Iowa
* 12.TCU
* 13.Oregon
* 14.Penn St.
* 15.Nebraska
* 16.Oklahoma St.
* 17.Kansas
* 18.BYU
* 19.Georgia Tech
* 20.Oklahoma
* 21.South Florida
* 22.South Carolina
* 23.Houston
* 24.Utah
* 25.Notre Dame

#561615 10/11/09 02:10 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Here are the ten games for this week. Good luck to all. This is going to be a difficult week with tough match ups and significant games.

1. Cincinnati (8) @ South Florida (21) - THURSDAY
2. Pittsburgh @ Rutgers - FRIDAY
3. Wake Forest @ Clemson
4. Iowa (11) @ Wisconsin
5. Oklahoma (20) @ Texas (3)
6. South Carolina (22) @ Alabama (2)
7. USC (6) @ Notre Dame
8. California @ UCLA
9. Texas Tech @ Nebraska (15)
10.Virginia Tech (5) @ Georgia Tech (19)

#561616 10/11/09 07:17 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Hmmm, Okay...

1. Cincinnati (8) @ South Florida (21) Goin with Cin Update Cin won
2. Pittsburgh @ Rutgers - Ill take Pitt Update Pitt won
3. Wake Forest @ Clemson Woof...Dabo's last shot Update Clemson won
4. Iowa (11) @ Wisconsin --Iowa Update Iowa Won
5. Oklahoma (20) @ Texas (3) Ouch...Gimme Texas Update Texas won
6. South Carolina (22) @ Alabama (2) --Damn...Alabama...c'mon SC, prove me wrong please
7. USC (6) @ Notre Dame --USC easily
8. California @ UCLA ---Gimme Cal
9. Texas Tech @ Nebraska (15) Neb's livin on the edge, gimme TT Update TT wins
10.Virginia Tech (5) @ Georgia Tech (19)--Ginnie Tech over Peaches

Something pithy!
#561617 10/11/09 07:19 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Dabo and Clemson...this guy is on the hot seat. Even if they manage a win over SC it wont help them if they cannot stop the lower tier programs like Wake. Much of Iptay did not want him, they wanted a proven winner and seat filler. It looks like Sweeney wasn't really ready for the big time, and his coaching core isn't either.

Something pithy!
#561618 10/14/09 04:13 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
1. Cincinnati (8) @ South Florida (21) - THURSDAY ~ Tough game to pick. Both schools are having great seasons. This one could go either way. While I'll be rooting for the Bulls however, I think the Bearcats will pull this one out.

2. Pittsburgh @ Rutgers - FRIDAY ~ Pitt seems to be the cream of the Big East crop. I'll take Pitt over Rutgers.

3. Wake Forest @ Clemson ~ Clemson could really use this win but I don't think it will happen against Wake Forest, even at home.

4. Iowa (11) @ Wisconsin ~ Should be a great game but I'm officially on the Hawkeye's train.

5. Oklahoma (20) @ Texas (3) ~ A classic rivalry game. Bradford v McCoy. Great game, tough pick. I'm taking Texas to pull this one out.

6. South Carolina (22) @ Alabama (2) ~ Alabama is too tough and they get to play this one at home. I'll take 'Bama for the win.

7. USC (6) @ Notre Dame ~ I would love for ND to pull off the upset but USC has their one loss already this year. USC for the win.

8. California @ UCLA ~ Cal has fallen from the heights it inhabited earlier this season. I think they keep falling after this weekend. I'm taking UCLA at home.

9. Texas Tech @ Nebraska (15) ~ I would love to see the Red Raiders win this one but it's at Nebraska so I'll grudgingly take the Huskers.

10.Virginia Tech (5) @ Georgia Tech (19) ~ My Canes really need VTech to lose this one in order to have a shot at the ACC championship but I just don't think the Yellowjackets are up to the task this year. This is the one I really hope I get wrong but I'll take Va Tech.

#561619 10/14/09 07:10 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
1.<strike> Cincinnati (8)</strike> @ South Florida (21)
Big test for both teams in terms of gaining credibility. My gut tells me the home team has the advantage here.

2. <strike>Pittsburgh</strike> @ Rutgers
[i]Still not feeling any love for Pitt.

3. <strike>Wake Forest</strike> @ Clemson
Argh! I knew Vee would put this one in the mix! I'm hoping my Clemson team will pull this one out with their backs up against the wall. If I were objective, I would definitely pick Wake here.

4. Iowa (11) @ <strike>Wisconsin</strike>
I'm still liking Iowa.

5. <strike>Oklahoma (20)</strike> @ Texas (3)
Texas's chance to establish themselves firmly as the top contender. Should be a terrific game.

6. <strike>South Carolina (22)</strike> @ Alabama (2)

Good as Carolina is, they just don't have the experience to dethrone Bama. Maybe next year.

7. USC (6) @ <strike>Notre Dame</strike>
Though I really think Clausen is a legitimate Heisman contender, USC just never drops these kinds of games.

8. <strike>California</strike> @ UCLA
When 2 huge disappoinments clash, bet on the home team.

9. <strike>Texas Tech</strike> @ Nebraska (15)
Sticking with the Huskers after they came through for me last week.

10.Virginia Tech (5) @ <strike>Georgia Tech (19)</strike>

The Hokies are the more consistent and more complete team.

#561620 10/15/09 01:52 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Cincinnati tonight...at airport on phone, will do rest of picks tomorrow

#561621 10/16/09 11:54 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Cincinati beat South Florida. Thats one for me and Vee. Lardi went with SF.

Something pithy!
#561622 10/16/09 01:38 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Had Cinci in there too laugh

My picks (too busy to post any analysis):

Pitt
Wake
Iowa
Oklahoma - Boomer Sooner, Texas is getting their loss now
'Bama
USC - but man, I hope I'm way off; Lardy's logic is dead-on here about USC in these kind of games
UCLA
Nebraska - home advantage is the key here
Virginia Tech - no doubt, they're damn good this year

#561623 10/16/09 03:06 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Had Cinci in there too laugh

My picks (too busy to post any analysis):

Pitt
Wake
Iowa
Oklahoma - Boomer Sooner, Texas is getting their loss now
'Bama
USC - but man, I hope I'm way off; Lardy's logic is dead-on here about USC in these kind of games
UCLA
Nebraska - home advantage is the key here
Virginia Tech - no doubt, they're damn good this year
ElasticLad
Cobie didn't take Notre Dame! What's this world coming to?
eek

#561624 10/16/09 10:11 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I can't make risky picks like the Sooners over the Longhorns if I keep picking ND and Uconn every week laugh Still, I'd be thrilled if I'm wrong and USC gets bamboozled.

#561625 10/17/09 05:52 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I can't make risky picks like the Sooners over the Longhorns if I keep picking ND and Uconn every week laugh Still, I'd be thrilled if I'm wrong and USC gets bamboozled.
Damn, have to rethink my strategy of always putting UConn & ND in the mix now. wink

#561626 10/17/09 08:17 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
It's all part of *my* strategy to throw you off your game for a week laugh

#561627 10/17/09 08:18 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors

#561628 10/17/09 08:57 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Well, we'll have to see how long you can hold out! laugh

#561629 10/17/09 04:45 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
As of 6:45pm EST here saturday, I am six for six, and it looks like some of my other pics are in good standing.

Something pithy!
#561630 10/17/09 05:08 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Just bringing picks to current page for me.

1. Cincinnati (8) @ South Florida (21) Goin with Cin Update Cin won
2. Pittsburgh @ Rutgers - Ill take Pitt Update Pitt won
3. Wake Forest @ Clemson Woof...Dabo's last shot Update Clemson won
4. Iowa (11) @ Wisconsin --Iowa Update Iowa Won
5. Oklahoma (20) @ Texas (3) Ouch...Gimme Texas Update Texas won
6. South Carolina (22) @ Alabama (2) --Damn...Alabama...c'mon SC, prove me wrong please
7. USC (6) @ Notre Dame --USC easily Update Not so easy but USC wins
8. California @ UCLA ---Gimme Cal Update Cal won
9. Texas Tech @ Nebraska (15) Neb's livin on the edge, gimme TT Update TT wins
10.Virginia Tech (5) @ Georgia Tech (19)--Ginnie Tech over Peaches

Something pithy!
#561631 10/17/09 05:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Okay, I've matched last week with 8 out of 10 so far. I truly hope I only get 9 out of 10 and the REAL USC beats alabama.

Something pithy!
#561632 10/17/09 08:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Oh well, so much for a perfect weekend. Georgia Tech beat the Hokies.

Something pithy!
#561633 10/17/09 09:12 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Aw hell. They got beat by alabama. Wait, let me rephrase that...they got beat by Inghram. they might have played alabama, but he beat them. Alabama looked sloppy as all get out.

Thats not to say that USC didn't look bad. I would love for us to find an offense that could match our defense. That would be really nice.

Also, it would be kinda nice if Spurrier wasn't looking defeated in the first quarter. Our defense held them for 3 1/2 quarters. They got tired and that kid just ran over them, but if they hadn't been on the field so much, they would have been in better shape. Half the game Garcia looked like he was scared to get hit, then when he ran he looked like there was no stopping him. Kid should be a running back if thats how he feels.

Still, we weren't embarrased until the last three minutes when it was obvious that Spurrier had given up. THAT was embarrassing.

Take away the dumbass run back for a td on an interception, and they beat us by 1 measly touchdown. And we had that many just off the 213,563 fades to the corner we tried.

Oh well, 8 out of 10 ain't bad.

Something pithy!
#561634 10/18/09 12:41 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Well, by my reckoning I'm a mere 5-5 this week, however I'll gladly take it because:

<span style="font-size: 20px;">Clemson effin' ROLLED over Wake 38-3!!!</span>

In your faces the restayuz who picked the Deacs!!! Hooray for objectivity!!! laugh

#561635 10/18/09 11:19 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Shocking & terrible news...

UConn football player fatally stabbed on campus

Rivals.com story

#561636 10/18/09 11:40 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Here are the latest AP rankings. The first BCS poll comes out this week and I'll be switching over to those rankings when they are announced.

* 1.Alabama (39)
* 2.Florida (20)
* 3.Texas
* 4.USC
* 5.Cincinnati
* 6.Boise St.
* 7.Iowa
* 8.Miami (FL)
* 9.LSU
* 10.TCU
* 11.Georgia Tech
* 12.Oregon
* 13.Penn St.
* 14.Oklahoma St.
* 15.Virginia Tech
* 16.BYU
* 17.Houston
* 18.Ohio St.
* 19.Utah
* 20.Pittsburgh
* 21.Texas Tech
* 22.West Virginia
* 23.South Carolina
* 24.Kansas
* 25.Oklahoma

I'll post the results from last week and the 10 games for this week later today.

#561637 10/18/09 12:40 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I'm pleased that the Gamecocks are still ranked. They didn't deserve to drop out after a pretty impressive showing against Alabama.

Sad news about UConn.

#561638 10/18/09 07:39 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The uconn thing stinks for sure. How did alabama get to number one over Florida? They were bad as well. They had one offensive weapon. It was good enough to win, for sure over USC, but they were terrible as a team.

Something pithy!
#561639 10/18/09 07:44 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Lardi, good to see clemson trying to pull it together. I may be a USC fan, but I'm a fan of my state as well. When they don't play USC, I pull for them. I hope Wake is the start of their turnaround.

Unfortunately, USC is now squarely in the heart of its schedule, one of the toughest in the nation. I see two more ...possible...wins at vandy and and tenn. Clemson...thats anybody's game, and it doesn't matter what you've done the rest of the year.

But, we did what I hoped we would do with alabama and thats keep it respectable. For the longest time they didn't against the best teams in the nation. The losses were embarrasing losses. If we can move to respectable, then we can move up to winning some.

Like I said, I think the last score was simply because spurrier gave up there at the end. It didn't look like he was in it from the beginning of the game, much less the end.

Something pithy!
#561640 10/19/09 03:37 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Here are the Week 7 results. Congrats once again to another stellar week for rick!

rickshaw1 - 80%
Lard Lad - 50%
Vee - 60%
Cobie - 50%

After seven weeks here are the standings:

Cobie 70% (42/60)
Lardy 60% (39/50)
rickshaw1 63% (19/30)
Vee 61% (43/70)

#561641 10/19/09 04:00 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
And here are the ten games to consider for this week:

1. South Florida @ Pitt (20)
2. Connecticut @ West Virginia (23)
3. Oklahoma @ Kansas (25)
4. Texas (3) @ Missouri
5. Clemson @ Miami (10)
6. Penn State (13) @ Michigan
7. Tennessee @ Alabama (2)
8. Boston College @ Notre Dame
9. Auburn @ LSU (9)
10.TCU (8) @ BYU (16)

And the BCS Rankings are out so here they are:

Bowl Champ. Series

* Florida
* Alabama
* Texas
* Boise St.
* Cincinnati
* Iowa
* USC
* TCU
* LSU
* Miami (FL)
* Oregon
* Georgia Tech
* Penn St.
* Virginia Tech
* Oklahoma St.
* BYU
* Houston
* Utah
* Ohio St.
* Pittsburgh
* Wisconsin
* Arizona
* West Virginia
* South Carolina
* Kansas

#561642 10/19/09 04:10 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Comparing the BCS to the AP poll shows some interesting differences.

* The AP moved 'Bama up to #1 ahead of Florida this week, but the BCS has it flipped.

* USC was ranked #4 in the AP this week but they're down at #7 in the BCS

* The AP has Texas Tech at #21 but TT doesn't even make it into the BCS poll

* Boise State is ranked #4 and TCU is #8 in the BCS which puts them in great position to get into a major bowl if they can win out even though they are in non-BCS conferences.

There are some other minor changes but those are the ones that stand out to me.

#561643 10/22/09 03:31 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
1. South Florida @ Pitt (20) ~ The Panthers are riding high for the first time in a long time, leading the Big East. The Bulls lost a heartbreaking game to Cincy last week which dropped them out of the Top 25. These are two excellent teams and should make for a great game to watch if you can. Although the game is Pitt, I'm going to take USF in a close finish.

2. Connecticut @ West Virginia (23) ~ Another great Big East matchup that is shrouded in tragedy. With the stabbing death of one of their teammates last weekend, the Huskies will likely struggle to focus on the game. Whether they can get themselves up for the game remains to be seen. With the game on the Mountaineers home field, I'll give WVU the edge in this one.

3. Oklahoma @ Kansas (25) ~ This makes 3 for 3 of tough games to pick. Oklahoma has certainly had a difficult season, losing their starting QB not once but twice. Their three losses are against ranked opponents and all were away games. Kansas has just the one loss but it was against a mediocre Colorado team last week. If the Jayhawks can establish a bit of a running game on Saturday they should be able to pull this one out at home. Kansas just barely.

4. Texas (3) @ Missouri ~ At the start of the season I thought Missouri would present a bigger challenge and would likely contend for the Big 12 North title, but they have failed to deliver and are currently at the bottom of the conference rankings. Although the game is in Columbia, Texas should be able to handle the Tigers.

5. Clemson @ Miami (10) ~ Not sure why I talked myself into making this one of the ten games for the week. Clemson has been up and down all season but when they are up, they are really good. My Canes are still a young team although they have been very successful so far this year with just the rain soaked loss to VA Tech marring their record. Both teams can contend for their divisional titles with a win so it should be a very hard fought game. I think the home field advantage will be the deciding factor though I would have taken Miami to win anyway. smile I hope I'm right since I'll be making the trip south to Land Shark Stadium to see the game myself laugh

6. Penn State (13) @ Michigan ~ Penn State really hasn't shown me anything yet this season. Probably their toughest opponent has been Minnesota. Meanwhile, Michigan has faced some huge battles already this season against Michigan State and Iowa. With the game in front of a howling Wolverine home crowd, I'll take Michigan to upset Penn State.

7. Tennessee @ Alabama (2) ~ The Vols have been better than I expected this year but I just don't see them having enough to take out the Crimson Tide. Alabama for the win.

8. Boston College @ Notre Dame ~ The top two Catholic schools face off against each other in what is turning into a fun annual rivalry. BC evened things up 9-9 last year and has won 6 straight. Notre Dame lost a huge one against USC last week after gaining a miracle call from the refs. BC has lost both of its road games so far this season which doesn't bode well for them when playing under the Golden Dome. I'll be rooting for BC but I think ND wins this one at home.

9. Auburn @ LSU (9) ~ Auburn started out the season very strong but has lost it's last two conference games to Arkansas and Kentucky. LSU came up with a great defensive game against Florida in a losing 13-3 effort, their only loss this season. With the game in Baton Rogue, I'll give the win to LSU.

10.TCU (8) @ BYU (16) ~ This is one of the most intriguing games this weekend, in a weekend filled with great ones. TCU comes to Provo undefeated and well positioned for a BCS Bowl if they can win out. BYU would be undefeated as well were it not for the stunning loss to FSU early in the season. Two top 20 teams fighting it out for the possibility (though always slim) of crashing the BCS and getting an invite to one of the top bowls. Playing at altitude in Provo is tough but I think TCU may have what it takes to prevail and keep their win streak and bowl hopes alive.

#561644 10/23/09 07:08 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I woke up this morning thinking I screwed up and forgot my Thursday pick. Luckily, that isn't the case!

Pitt

UCONN - After all they've been through, I've got to pull for my school. Terrible tragedy...I remember my junior year when 6 students were killed on different nights over the course of 1 semester in driving accidents (at least four of them drunk drivers). It just made no sense and felt like the world was crashing down--people were having a tough time with it. I'm sure that feeling is someone replicated here.

Kansas - On one hand I think OK is overdue now to win but on the other, I feel like things will get worse now. Poor Bradford.

Texas

Miami - man, this is a tough pick! Not only is it Vee vs. Lardy, but both teams have kept me guessing all year so far. I really don't have an accurate read on either of them, though I want them both to succeed (I generally route for fellow LWers teams so long as they aren't USC, Michigan or Ohio State). I've got to say Miami here, though.

Penn State - This will be a tough one. But I feel like here Penn State proves they're more than just talk.

'Bama - I hope its a beating.

ND - I agree this has become a neat little rivalry. I think the USC game was good for elevating ND's game last week; I hope this can translate into a victory.

LSU - Though somewhat overrated this year (still!), Auburn has made some blunders and mental errors each week that I don't see stopping y et.

BYU - They already let me down once this season, but I think the home field advantage will sway things their way.

PS - Vee, did you know ND plays UCONN next year? I think they play the next three years or something. I *know* you'll pick that one. That'll be interesting laugh

#561645 10/23/09 01:47 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I missed this weeks. I'll pick it up next week.

Something pithy!
#561646 10/23/09 02:06 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
You've still got time, Rick!

#561647 10/23/09 03:41 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
You've still got time, Rick!
Absolutely, you still have until noon on Saturday Rick

#561648 10/23/09 03:42 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper

PS - Vee, did you know ND plays UCONN next year? I think they play the next three years or something. I *know* you'll pick that one. That'll be interesting laugh
You bet your bippy! Can't wait to see you sweat your pick out each year! wink

#561649 10/23/09 04:34 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I thought I missed the in week games. Okay, give me a little bit and I'll get in there.

Something pithy!
#561650 10/23/09 04:39 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Okay, my stuff for the week.

1. South Florida @ Pitt (20) Pitt, SF isn't what people think yet.
2. Connecticut @ West Virginia (23) I think UConn is gonna be up for the game...but I'm going with WV.
3. Oklahoma @ Kansas (25) Gimme the Okla's.
4. Texas (3) @ Missouri Texas Pete all the way.
5. Clemson @ Miami (10) Miami, Clemson has little sting, enough for some smaller programs, but Miami's better.
6. Penn State (13) @ Michigan These two hate each other...gimme Penn.
7. Tennessee @ Alabama (2) Alabama over Lainy Kazan.
8. Boston College @ Notre Dame I'll take Notre Dame
9. Auburn @ LSU (9) LSU for the win.
10.TCU (8) @ BYU (16) TCU is the better team as far as I am concerned.

Something pithy!
#561651 10/23/09 10:10 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I laid an egg last week! Let's see if I can rally....

<strike>South Florida</strike> @ Pitt (20)
It'll be just my luck that I finally start showin' Pitt some respect, and suddenly they say "Gotcha!" and blow chunks when I pick 'em! Prove me wrong, Pitt!

<strike>Connecticut</strike> @ West Virginia (23)
UConn let me down a coupla weeks ago. I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe they'll take WVU down.

Oklahoma @ <strike>Kansas (25)</strike>
Torn on this one. The Sooners have lost Bradford for the year, but it's hard to see them losing a fourth game already. I think they're just tougher than the Jayhawks.

Texas (3) @ <strike>Missouri</strike>
Texas just seems to get it done this year, even if only by the skin of their teeth.

Clemson @ <strike>Miami (10)</strike>
Damn you, Vee! laugh When one of your football buddies plays ya, you just can't back down, so there was only one choice here. If the Clemson team that massacred Wake Forest last week shows up, it could be a tropical depression for the Canes!

<strike>Penn State (13)</strike> @ Michigan
I think Joe-Pa's team is soft and overrated. The Wolverines will have him seriously contemplating retirement.

<strike>Tennessee</strike> @ Alabama (2)
The Vols won't fare as well as the Gamecocks did last week.

<strike>Boston College</strike> @ Notre Dame
BC is looking better as the season progresses, but Clausen is to ND what Matt Ryan was to BC, it appears increasiningly.

<strike>Auburn</strike> @ LSU (9)
Auburn appears to be fading away. Don't think they'll get a second wind in hostile Baton Rouge.

TCU (8) @ <strike>BYU (16)</strike>
TCU's a big tough team that should wear down the early season faves that got schooled by FSU.

#561652 10/24/09 06:11 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
<span style="font-size: 99px;">WHOOOOO!!!!!</span>

#561653 10/24/09 07:31 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Clemson beat Miami!? And Carolina is lossing right now to the Vols...again!

Something pithy!
#561654 10/24/09 08:04 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Clemson beat Miami!? And Carolina is lossing right now to the Vols...again!
It's the Commodores, rick, and it looks like the Cocks might pull it out after all. 'Course a LOT can happen in five minutes...:shiver:

#561655 10/24/09 08:27 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
And...congrats to Rick and the Gamecocks--ya got that king-sized monkey off yer backs! So BOTH major(?) SC teams squeak by with important wins!

#561656 10/24/09 09:17 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
You are right, Lardi. I mistyped. And Man am I glad to see that. Next up, Kifin's sorry butt if I am remembering the schedule correctly.

I'm glad to see that I got the clemson miami one wrong. Clemson needs this as much as Carolina needs its wins.

I was genuinely worried that the commodores were going to be to us what spurrier is to kentucky. Don't know about clemson, but our schedule gets murderous after this.

Something pithy!
#561657 10/24/09 11:21 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Clemson's remaining schedule
Coastal Carolina
Florida State
@ NC State
@ Virginia

South Carolina's remaining schedule
@ Tennessee
@ Arkansas
Florida

Then, of course, the two meet for the regular season finale. Clemson's road to that meeting definitely looks more manageable, but SC could do well if they play up to the potential they've shown. Anything would be better than one of those 0-fer late season swoons they tend to fall into.

No matter what happens, I know where my TV will be tuned on November 28th!

#561658 10/25/09 05:22 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Wow, what a heartbreaking loss for us. Congrats Lardy, the Tigers really played a great game.

With the exception of the results, this was actually one of the most enjoyable games I've ever attended. Back and forth, back and forth. I think I heard someone say that there were nine or ten lead changes in the game! And even though it was a high scoring game, it was actually a titanic defensive battle. Both defenses played their hearts out and had some terrific series but you just can't keep players like Spiller, Ford (Clemson) Cooper, James, or Berry (Miami) contained all game. They all had some terrific runs.

In the end we made more mistakes than the Tigers and they made us pay for them. I'll chalk this loss up to our youth and inexperience, particularly on the part of our QB, Jacory Harris

That doesn't take anything away from Clemson. I was very impressed with your team. It's a shame that they haven't been able to play consistently at that level this year. From the looks of your remaining schedule, however, I would think you should be able to secure the divisional title and make it to the Conference Championship game.

#561659 10/25/09 01:32 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Vee:
From the looks of your remaining schedule, however, I would think you should be able to secure the divisional title and make it to the Conference Championship game.
Vee, as a Clemson fan who's thought we should have been in the ACC championship game the last several years, I'm not taking that as ANYTHING like a foregone conclusion! I'm gonna take it a game at a time and hope Clemson can keep playing at this level. The win against BC could be HUGE if it comes to it.

Some game, huh? As I watched, I thought of you being there often and wondered what you must have been going thru in such a rollercoaster ride. Most of the crowd shots showed a very concerned and exhausted looking crowd. Momentum just shifted from play to play. I mean, one moment, Harris throws an interception run back for a touchdown; the next play from scrimmage, he throws a bomb for a score! That kinda thing happened all game long!

If there was a more exciting game yesterday, I didn't see it! Here's hoping for a rematch in December! nod

#561660 10/25/09 04:35 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
1. South Florida @ Pitt (20) Pitt, SF isn't what people think yet. Update---Pitt for the win
2. Connecticut @ West Virginia (23) I think UConn is gonna be up for the game...but I'm going with WV. Update WV for the win
3. Oklahoma @ Kansas (25) Gimme the Okla's. Update...Okla for the win
4. Texas (3) @ Missouri Texas Pete all the way. Texas won from what I can find.
5. Clemson @ Miami (10) Miami, Clemson has little sting, enough for some smaller programs, but Miami's better. Update...Clemson for the win.
6. Penn State (13) @ Michigan These two hate each other...gimme Penn. Update Penn for the win.
7. Tennessee @ Alabama (2) Alabama over Lainy Kazan. Update...Alabama for the win.
8. Boston College @ Notre Dame I'll take Notre Dame Update..Notre Dame for the win.
9. Auburn @ LSU (9) LSU for the win. Update...LSU for the win.
10.TCU (8) @ BYU (16) TCU is the better team as far as I am concerned. Update...TCU for the win.

By my count, and please correct me if I'm wrong...9 outta 10 for me.

Clemson shocked everyone. Way to go Tigers.

Something pithy!
#561661 10/26/09 11:42 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Here are the results from last week. Grats to Lardy and Rick for an almost sweep of the picks!

Week 8 results:
rickshaw1 - 90%
Lard Lad - 90%
Vee - 60%
Cobie - 60%

After eight weeks here are the standings:

Cobie 69% (48/70)
Lardy 69% (48/70)
rickshaw1 70% (28/40)
Vee 61% (49/80)

Looks like I have some serious catching up to do! laugh

#561662 10/26/09 11:52 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Here's this weeks BCS rankings:

Bowl Champ. Series

* 1.Florida
* 2. Alabama
* 3. Texas
* 4. Iowa
* 5. USC
* 6. TCU
* 7. Boise St.
* 8. Cincinnati
* 9. LSU
* 10. Oregon
* 11. Georgia Tech
* 12. Penn St.
* 13. Virginia Tech
* 14. Oklahoma St.
* 15. Pittsburgh
* 16. Utah
* 17. Ohio St.
* 18. Houston
* 19. Miami (FL)
* 20. Arizona
* 21. West Virginia
* 22. South Carolina
* 23. Notre Dame
* 24. California
* 25. Mississippi

#561663 10/26/09 12:03 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
And here are the ten games for this week. Please note, this week there is a Thursday night game and a Friday night game so be sure to get your picks in before the start of the NC v. VaTech game on Thursday!

Week 9
North Carolina @ Virginia Tech - THURSDAY
West Virginia @ South Florida - FRIDAY
Rutgers @ Connecticut
Mississippi @ Auburn
Miami @ Wake Forest
Georgia @ Florida
Penn State @ Northwestern
South Carolina @ Tennessee
USC @ Oregon
Texas @ Oklahoma State

#561664 10/26/09 01:57 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Thanks, Vee, but I would have to handicap myself on the list. You guys have had many more picks than me. The averages are one thing, but I did come in late and that probably gives me a better feel for the teams than from starting at the beginning of the season.

Something pithy!
#561665 10/26/09 02:18 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
My picks:

Week 9
North Carolina @ Virginia Tech - THURSDAY I'll take VT
West Virginia @ South Florida - FRIDAY Gimme WV
Rutgers @ Connecticut Gimme Uconn
Mississippi @ Auburn Gimme Miss.
Miami @ Wake Forest Gimme Miami
Georgia @ Florida Gimme Florida
Penn State @ Northwestern Gimme Penn State
South Carolina @ Tennessee Woof...ya don't make it easy, do ya. Going with SC to win. Kifin has won against lesser teams, but only one win that looks good. SC has scrapped some out. They are about equal. Giving it to Spurrier, but only just.
USC @ Oregon Gimme USC
Texas @ Oklahoma State Goin' with Texas

Something pithy!
#561666 10/28/09 04:45 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
North Carolina @ Virginia Tech - THURSDAY ~ This was supposed to be the year that Butch Davis finally saw the results of his recruiting efforts, bringing UNC to a new level. That has yet to be seen. The Hokies should take this game easily.

West Virginia @ South Florida - FRIDAY ~ I think West Virginia is too strong this year to be stopped although USF could surprise. I'll take WVU.

Rutgers @ Connecticut ~ The Huskies showed alot of character last week and should be able to pull out a win against a Scarlett Knights' team that still hasn't lived up to its potential. Huskies for the win.

Mississippi @ Auburn ~ The game is at Auburn, a tough place to win but the Rebels have demonstrated that they are among the best in the SEC. I'll take Ole Miss.

Miami @ Wake Forest ~ What's going on with Wake Forest? They started out strong but lost to Army last week. Miami will be primed after their OT loss last week to Clemson and should take it out on WF. Go 'Canes!

Georgia @ Florida ~ Would someone please beat Florida already so we can stop hearing about their greatness all the time? Unfortunately, I don't think Georgia will be the ones to do so. Gators may struggle mightily as they have all year but will win.

Penn State @ Northwestern ~ Northwestern is no longer the door mat of the Big 10 and could conceivably pull off an upset but I think the Nitany Lions will prevail.

South Carolina @ Tennessee ~ I wish this game was in Columbia so I could feel more secure in my pick. Spurrier can out coach Kiffen any day of the week. I think the Gamecocks pull this one out on the road.

USC @ Oregon ~ USC has had their early season loss and the Ducks don't seem to be as good this year as they have been the past few. Although the game is at Oregon I'll take USC.

Texas @ Oklahoma State ~ This could be a tough game. The Cowboys are not slouches and have a great deal of fire power but Texas is on a dual mission, winning a national title and a Heisman for McCoy. I think the Longhorns take this one and continue their march to the title game.

#561667 10/28/09 06:42 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Virginia Tech

West Virginia

Uconn

Ole Miss - glad to see Ole Miss doing well this year, I've always rooted for them in the past, ever since I almost had the chance to go to a Ole Miss/Miss State game but ultimately couldn't go.

Miami - I agree something seems wrong with Wake lately while the Hurricanes losses were for the most part games they should be proud of.

Florida - no love for Georgia in the Gator's hometown.

Penn State

South Carolina - why not? I'll join in with you guys laugh . Lane Kiffin: am not impressed with him yet.

USC - though if an upset would happen out of these picks, this would be it.

Texas - as much as I think OK State will keep it close, I think ultimately Texas will win. But I do think Texas has a loss on the horizon before the season ends, and the Cowboys are never pushovers. But I'm more confident in Texas.

#561668 10/28/09 11:22 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
<strike>North Carolina</strike> @ Virginia Tech
NC's a big disappointment this year.

West Virginia @ <strike>South Florida</strike>
I was on that South Florida bandwagon for awhile, but not so much anymore. Something else else tells me to pick them, but I can't shake off how picking them has burned me in the past. Meanwhile, the Mountaineers came thru for me in a tight one last week. I'll stick with them and see if that faith was earned.

<strike>Rutgers</strike> @ Connecticut
UConn should prevail this time.

Mississippi @ <strike>Auburn</strike>
Neither team's on fire, but Ole Miss has more going for it.

Miami @ <strike>Wake Forest</strike>
Consecutive losses would be devastating to Miami. I don't think Wake has the spark it needs to win.

<strike>Georgia</strike> @ Florida
This has upset potential given Florida's recent close games. But I don't think Georgia's good enough this year.

Penn State @ <strike>Northwestern</strike>
Picking against PSU was my lone mistake last week. I won't repeat it this week.

South Carolina @ <strike>Tennessee</strike>
This would be the most exquisite SC victory of the year to date. Make it happen, Spurrier!

<strike>USC</strike> @ Oregon
Wow! This should be a good game with Oregon's improvement since game 1. I'll go against my usual wisdom and take Oregon for the upset!

Texas @ <strike>Oklahoma State</strike>
Upset bug may bite here, but I'm goin' with my gut and the heart of Colt McCoy.

#561669 10/30/09 10:19 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Cobie, I'll assume you meant to take UConn against Rutgers since you skipped over that game in your picks unless you post otherwise before the start of that game.

I KNOW you wouldn't pick against the Huskies...would you? wink

#561670 10/31/09 12:23 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Well, looks like we're all 0-2 going into Saturday. frown Who'da thunk? shrug

#561671 11/01/09 07:51 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
There is shame in the halls of Carolina. I thought they would at least make a fight of it. But, the Cocks are getting worse by the week and the Vols are getting better.

They made their brag and backed it up.

*sigh* Cubs fans have nothing on us.

Something pithy!
#561672 11/01/09 08:19 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Ouch! This turned out to be the week of upsets. We all started out 0-4 and it didn't get too much better. Here are the results...

Week 9 results:
rickshaw1 - 40%
Lard Lad - 50%
Vee - 40%
Cobie - 40%

After nine weeks here are the standings:

Cobie 65% (52/80)
Lardy 66% (53/80)
rickshaw1 64% (32/50)
Vee 59% (53/90)

Should be some major changes in the polls after this week. It will be interesting to see what happens at the top, if anything. With Virginia Tech's loss, Miami's divisional title hopes got a little bit brighter but Georgia Tech will have to lose another conference game for us to win it I think. They only have Wake Forest & Duke left on their schedule besides the season ender with Georgia, so I'm not holding my breath (but I will be rooting like crazy for Wake next week! laugh )

#561673 11/01/09 10:09 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
well, from what i've seen, Carolina is going for its standard end of season tank job. Very disappointing. We keep hiring guys at the end of their careers that don't have the fire anymore as a coach, or some idiot from a class d program that can't figure out how to recruit or win.

This should cement our status as a perennial also ran.

Something pithy!
#561674 11/01/09 01:26 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Hey, I was right about Oregon! YAY!

As for Carolina, don't jump off the wagon yet. Two are winnable, and there's still the chance to dethrone the number one team in the nation at home.

Meanwhile, Clemson needs to beat FSU at Death Valley...

#561675 11/01/09 02:31 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Not off the wagon, Lardi. Been a fan for about 4 decades. Even went there, so its heartfelt disappointment.

Just one year I'd like SC to be the team that everyone dreads coming to town, not the one that gets put down as a W before the game is played.

Something pithy!
#561676 11/01/09 07:42 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I don't know if that could ever happen in the SEC with Football,to put it in perspective I think Kentucky got its first top 50 recruiting class in the nation in a long time,and it still was the second to last class in the conference!

The only thing I can say is,is it Basketball season yet!

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
#561677 11/01/09 09:26 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Lardy, great pick on the USC upset!! The Ducks really have their number! I'm kicking myself for not goin for it too.

#561678 11/01/09 09:40 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Here's the latest BCS Poll.

Bowl Champ. Series

* Florida
* Texas
* Alabama
* Iowa
* Cincinnati
* TCU
* Boise St.
* Oregon
* LSU
* Georgia Tech
* Penn St.
* USC
* Pittsburgh
* Utah
* Houston
* Ohio St.
* Miami (FL)
* Arizona
* Oklahoma St.
* California
* Wisconsin
* Notre Dame
* Virginia Tech
* Oklahoma
* South Florida

#561679 11/01/09 09:58 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
And here the the ten games to consider for this coming week. Not really a lot of great match ups this week but there could be some surprises. All games are on Saturday so you get all week to post your picks.

1. UConn @ Cincinnati
2. Wake Forest @ Georgia Tech
3. Northwestern @ Iowa
4. Florida State @ Clemson
5. South Carolina @ Arkansas
6. Oklahoma @ Nebraska
7. LSU @ Alabama
8. Ohio State @ Penn State
9. Oregon @ Stanford
10. Oregon State @ Cal

#561680 11/06/09 03:59 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Here are my choices for this week. Kinda busy so I won't have time to add reasons.

1. UConn @ Cincinnati ~ Hate to do it, but I'll take Cincy

2. Wake Forest @ Georgia Tech ~ Georgia Tech though I'll be rooting for WF

3. Northwestern @ Iowa ~ Iowa all the way

4. Florida State @ Clemson ~ Clemson

5. South Carolina @ Arkansas ~ Tough one but I'll have to take Arkansas at home

6. Oklahoma @ Nebraska ~ Even without Sam Bradford, I'll take Oklahoma

7. LSU @ Alabama ~ LSU has a shot but I'll take Bama at home.

8. Ohio State @ Penn State ~ Penn State

9. Oregon @ Stanford ~ Oregon

10. Oregon State @ Cal ~ Oregon State

#561681 11/06/09 04:45 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Uconn

Wake

Iowa

Clemson

Arkansas

Oklahoma

'Bama

Penn state

Oregon

Cal

#561682 11/06/09 06:53 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
<strike>UConn</strike> @ Cincinnati
I'd rather the Huskies win for Des, but I don't see them beating the durable Bearcats.

<strike>Wake Forest</strike> @ Georgia Tech
Potential upset here, but I think the 'Jackets have too much sting for the Deacs.

<strike>Northwestern</strike> @ Iowa
Iowa's probably gonna win by the skin of their teeth....again!

<strike>Florida State</strike> @ Clemson
This one scares the bejeezus outta me! There's no reason Clemson should lose, except that they're Clemson! Come ON, guys!!!

South Carolina @ <strike>Arkansas</strike>
I'm admittedly plaing favorites here (probably like Des is with UConn), but I know that SC can beat these guys. ANYTHING to avoid another late-season swoon! tongue

Oklahoma @ <strike>Nebraska</strike>
The Sooners are still a tough team even without Bradford, and the 'Huskers are still a long way from the Tom Osborne days.

<strike>LSU</strike> @ Alabama
If this were in Baton Rouge, I'd almost certainly pick LSU here because the Tide has looked shaky in recent outings, but home field should give Alabama the edge. I'm still tempted, though!

<strike>Ohio State</strike> @ Penn State
Should be a good game, but I don't see a sad day at Happy Valley in the cards Saturday.

Oregon @ <strike>Stanford</strike>
I bet this one's very close as Oregon's probably still gonna be on a post-USC high and not be all there mentally, but the Ducks should squeak by.

Oregon State @ <strike>Cal</strike>
This feels like a Pick'Em type game to me, so I'll stick with the home tea--oh, phuck it! I'll take the Beavers instead cuz Cal's just too wussy-fied! laugh

#561683 11/06/09 08:32 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
1. Cincinnati
2. Georgia Tech
3. Iowa
4. FS
5. Arkansas
6. Oklahoma
7. Alabama
8. Penn State
9. Oregon
10.Cal

Something pithy!
#561684 11/06/09 08:53 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
*whew* I just knew that if everyone picked Clemson, they'd have ZERO chance of winning! Thanks, Rick! laugh

#561685 11/07/09 05:58 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
You'll notice, I didn't pick the Gamecocks, either.

Something pithy!
#561686 11/07/09 02:27 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
You'll notice, I didn't pick the Gamecocks, either.
Yeah, about that... shake

Looks like the swoon is on. frown

#561687 11/07/09 06:38 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Eeehhhhyuuuup! Gotta tell ya, love the Gamecocks, but its like lovin' the Cubs. Look good at first, then crumple in the end.

Same ole' same ole'

Something pithy!
#561688 11/07/09 10:23 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
In other news....

<span style="font-size: 99px;">C.J. ROCKS!!!!</span>

#561689 11/08/09 08:28 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I take it clemson won, lol. Glad someone from SC is doing something.

Something pithy!
#561690 11/08/09 08:39 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Ugh I did terrible this weekend...

#561691 11/09/09 03:32 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Another week of surprises & upsets. Here are the results...

Week 10 results:
rickshaw1 - 40%
Lard Lad - 50%
Vee - 60%
Cobie - 30%

After ten weeks here are the standings:

Cobie 61% (55/90)
Lardy 64% (58/90)
rickshaw1 60% (36/60)
Vee 59% (59/100)

#561692 11/09/09 03:35 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
And here are the BCS rankings for this week...

Bowl Champ. Series
  • Florida
    Alabama
    Texas
    TCU
    Cincinnati
    Boise St.
    Georgia Tech
    LSU
    USC
    Iowa
    Ohio St.
    Pittsburgh
    Oregon
    Miami (FL)
    Houston
    Utah
    Arizona
    Penn St.
    Oklahoma St.
    Wisconsin
    Virginia Tech
    BYU
    Oregon St.
    South Florida
    West Virginia

#561693 11/09/09 03:47 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Aaannnddd here are the ten games to ponder for this weekend. Please note that the first game is on Friday night so make sure to have your picks posted before the start of the game.

1. West Virginia @ Cincinnati - FRIDAY NIGHT
2. Michigan @ Wisconsin
3. Georgia Tech @ Duke
4. Stanford @ USC
5. Florida @ South Carolina
6. Iowa @ Ohio State
7. Miami @ North Carolina
8. Auburn @ Georgia
9. Utah @ TCU
10. Notre Dame @ Pitt

#561694 11/12/09 08:40 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Here are my picks for this week...

1. West Virginia @ Cincinnati - FRIDAY NIGHT ~ Should be one of the best games this week. Two powerful, high scoring offenses. WVU is very good but I think the Bearcats are better. Cincy for the win.

2. Michigan @ Wisconsin ~ Here we are in mid November and I still can't figure out Michigan! I'm taking Wisconsin at home and keeping my fingers crossed.

3. Georgia Tech @ Duke ~ Georgia Tech needs to win this last conference game in order to insure a spot in the ACC title game. If they lose and Miami wins their two remaining games, Miami edges out GT to play in the championship. While I'll be rooting for Duke to pull off the upset, I have to pick Georgia Tech to win.

4. Stanford @ USC ~ Another tough call. Have to take USC at home however.

5. Florida @ South Carolina ~ I would love to see the Gamecocks win this one but they just haven't been consistent enough this year though I believe they have the talent to do it. I'm going to have to take Florida to win.

6. Iowa @ Ohio State ~ What a difference a game makes! Until last week, I was certain that Iowa would run the table. Now I'm not so sure but I will take the Hawkeyes anyway.

7. Miami @ North Carolina ~ NC was supposed to contend for the ACC Championship this year. Instead, it's Miami that has the chance to still make it there. Miami for the win.

8. Auburn @ Georgia ~ Lots of questions remain about both of these teams. Auburn has been a bit more consistent so I'll take them to win on the road.

9. Utah @ TCU ~ Utah is good but I don't think they can stop TCU this year.

10. Notre Dame @ Pitt ~ ND has already lost its guarantee to play in a BCS Bowl game. I suspect that after this week, they will also be losing their coach. Pitt should be able to deal with them handily.

#561695 11/12/09 09:05 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
1. <strike>West Virginia</strike> @ Cincinnati - FRIDAY NIGHT
Close call here, but I think home field's the decider.

2. <strike>Michigan</strike> @ Wisconsin
The one I struggled with the most. In the end I'll go with the better record and the homefield. Plus, Michigan's burned me more than most this year.

3. Georgia Tech @ <strike>Duke</strike>
Hard to see even an improved Duke beating Tech at home.

4. <strike>Stanford</strike> @ USC
An off year for USC for sure, but a third loss occurring at home is almost unthinkable!

5. Florida @ <strike>South Carolina</strike>
Cocks may make it closer than expected, but they will surely lose.

6. <strike>Iowa</strike> @ Ohio State
OSU's definitely improving. I think Iowa loses it's second in a row.

7. <strike>Miami</strike> @ North Carolina
I think the Canes fall to their old coach again.

8. <strike>Auburn</strike> @ Georgia
Pride and their home field should help buoy the Bulldogs in a down year.

9. <strike>Utah</strike> @ TCU
TCU's the real deal. Utah? Not so much.

10. <strike>Notre Dame</strike> @ Pitt
So endeth the Charlie Weiss era?

#561696 11/13/09 06:25 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Welp, here's mine.

1. West Virginia @ Cincinnati - Cin
2. Michigan @ Wisconsin - Mich
3. Georgia Tech @ Duke - GT
4. Stanford @ USC - Gimme Stanford for hits and miggles
5. Florida @ South Carolina - Oh, most assuredly F
6. Iowa @ Ohio State - Ohio State
7. Miami @ North Carolina - All points MI AmA
8. Auburn @ Georgia - No clue...Gimme Georgia
9. Utah @ TCU - TCU
10. Notre Dame @ Pitt - Pitt

Something pithy!
#561697 11/15/09 10:33 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Okay, I don't know the rest, haven't seen any scores, but....Picked Stanford and Ohi state.

Something pithy!
#561698 11/15/09 10:37 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
And I picked florida over my beloved USC. I was right but it was a very close game compared to last years, so maybe USC is starting to turn the corner. Still, its time to stop hopping to just keep it close and start looking for wins.

Spurrier is getting paid very well. Time to earn it.

Something pithy!
#561699 11/16/09 06:23 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Totals for last week:

1. West Virginia @ Cincinnati - Cin *Cinn for win
2. Michigan @ Wisconsin - Mich * Wisconsin for win
3. Georgia Tech @ Duke - GT * GT for win
4. Stanford @ USC - Gimme Stanford for hits and miggles *Stanford for win
5. Florida @ South Carolina - Oh, most assuredly F * F for win
6. Iowa @ Ohio State - Ohio State * Ohi for win
7. Miami @ North Carolina - All points MI AmA *NC for win
8. Auburn @ Georgia - No clue...Gimme Georgia *Georgia for win.
9. Utah @ TCU - TCU *TCU for win
10. Notre Dame @ Pitt - Pitt *Pitt for win.

Hey, not bad. only got two wrong. NC state is coming along much better than I thought, and the wisconsin win over Mich. was news to me. So, thats a score of 80 %. Not bad after a couple of weeks of bad choices.

Something pithy!
#561700 11/16/09 04:34 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Here are the results...Congrats to bot rick & Lardy for a great week of picks

Week 11 results:
rickshaw1 - 80%
Lard Lad - 90%
Vee - 60%
Cobie - no picks

After eleven weeks here are the standings:

Lardy 67% (67/100)
rickshaw1 63% (44/70)
Cobie 61% (55/90)
Vee 59% (65/1100)

#561701 11/16/09 04:35 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Here are the BCS standings after week 11...

Bowl Champ. Series

* Florida
* Alabama
* Texas
* TCU
* Cincinnati
* Boise St.
* Georgia Tech
* LSU
* Pittsburgh
* Ohio St.
* Oregon
* Oklahoma St.
* Iowa
* Penn St.
* Virginia Tech
* Wisconsin
* Stanford
* USC
* Oregon St.
* Miami (FL)
* Utah
* BYU
* Clemson
* Houston
* California

#561702 11/16/09 04:43 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
And here are the ten games to consider for this week. All of them are on Saturday so you have plenty of time to contemplate your picks. Please be sure to have your choices posted before the start of the games.

1. North Carolina @ Boston College
2. Ohio State @ Michigan
3. Oklahoma @ Texas Tech
4. UConn @ Notre Dame (now let's see what Cobie does lol )
5. Oregon @ Arizona
6. Penn State @ Michigan State
7. LSU @ Ole Miss
8. Cal @ Stanford
9. Kansas State @ Nebraska
10. Kentucky @ Georgia

#561703 11/16/09 06:46 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
"4. UConn @ Notre Dame (now let's see what Cobie does [LOL] ) "

Vee, you are viscious, evil, and wicked.

I can respect that!

wink

Something pithy!
#561704 11/17/09 04:44 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
"4. UConn @ Notre Dame (now let's see what Cobie does [LOL] ) "

Vee, you are viscious, evil, and wicked.

I can respect that!

wink
Thank you I resemble that remark! laugh

#561705 11/20/09 08:52 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
lol I knew this was coming.

I can't believe I missed last week (was traveling) and everyone had basically the best picks of the year!

I'm off my game lately, I haven't even watched an entire game in two weeks. Luckily things are slowing down and back to normal this week. I'll mule over the games and put my picks down later.

The funny thing about Uconn / ND, is that it actually could be either team's game!

#561706 11/20/09 01:58 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
1. North Carolina
2. Ohio State
3. Texas Tech
4. Notre Dame
5. Oregon
6. Michigan State
7. LSU
8. Stanford
9. Nebraska
10.Georgia

Something pithy!
#561707 11/20/09 08:59 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Here are my picks...

1. North Carolina @ Boston College ~ Tough pick but BC needs this game if they are to have any hope of staying in the hunt for the ACC championship game. I'll take BC though NC has been very tough recently.

2. Ohio State @ Michigan ~ Logic says to take Ohio State because Michigan isn't that good but this is always one of those games where the rest of the year's results don't matter. I'm going out on a limb and taking Michigan.

3. Oklahoma @ Texas Tech ~ Texas Tech is the real deal this year.

4. UConn @ Notre Dame ~ UConn's win in this game drives Coach W out the door.

5. Oregon @ Arizona ~ The Ducks had better be focused on this game because Arizona is unheralded but a mighty good team. The Ducks will prevail.

6. Penn State @ Michigan State ~ Playing at Michigan State is never easy but I think Penn State is the better team and should win.

7. LSU @ Ole Miss ~ Ole Miss has been damn good this year and I would love to see them win this game. LSU has the talent to hold off the Rebels if they bring their "A" game. I think the Rebels pull it out at home.

8. Cal @ Stanford ~ Both teams have had surprising results all year but Stanford should come out on top.

9. Kansas State @ Nebraska ~ The Cornhuskers aren't the super team of years past but they still manage to pull out wins at home. I'll take Nebraska.

10. Kentucky @ Georgia ~ Georgia has had a disappointing year but I don't think they have another loss in them.

#561708 11/20/09 09:02 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
1. North Carolina @ <strike>Boston College</strike>
This win for UNC would be beneficial to Clemson if it happens. Should be close.

2. Ohio State @ <strike>Michigan</strike>
With these two programs going in different directions, it looks good for the improving team.

3. Oklahoma @ <strike>Texas Tech</strike>
Could go either way, so I'm goin' with my gut.

4. <strike>UConn</strike> @ Notre Dame
Another close one between to hard-luck programs goes to the home team.

5. Oregon @ <strike>Arizona</strike>
Oregon should rebound from that Stanford loss, I think.

6. Penn State @ <strike>Michigan State</strike>
Not terribly sure about this one, but I'll go with the more impressive team this season.

7. <strike>LSU</strike> @ Ole Miss
I'll take that crafty cuss Les Miles here.

8. <strike>Cal</strike> @ Stanford
The Cardinal is on a roll that will keep on rollin' thru Cal.

9. <strike>Kansas State</strike> @ Nebraska
Not feeling KSU in a hostile environment.

10. <strike>Kentucky</strike> @ Georgia
Georgia looks to finish strong as they prepare for a comeback next year.

#561709 11/21/09 10:32 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
BC

Ohio State

Texas Tech

ND

Oregon

Penn State

ole Miss

Stanford

Nebraska

Georgia

#561710 11/22/09 12:25 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
1. North Carolina--Won
2. Ohio State--won
3. Texas Tech--Won
4. Notre Dame--Lost
5. Oregon--Ducks--won
6. Michigan State--lost
7. LSU--Lost
8. Stanford--Lost
9. Nebraska--Won
10.Georgia--Lost

Hmmmp, went five and five. Some of the teams I went with decided to give it up this week when they have been making some showings.

Something pithy!
#561711 11/22/09 04:08 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Here are the results...it was a tough week for everyone with some lots of nailbiters.

Week 12 results:
rickshaw1 - 50%
Lard Lad - 60%
Vee - 60%
Cobie - 60%

After twelve weeks here are the standings:

Lardy 66% (73/110)
rickshaw1 61% (49/80)
Cobie 61% (61/100)
Vee 59% (71/120)

#561712 11/23/09 04:43 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Here's the latest BCS Poll...

Bowl Champ. Series

* Florida
* Alabama
* Texas
* TCU
* Cincinnati
* Boise St.
* Georgia Tech
* Oregon
* Pittsburgh
* Ohio St.
* Iowa
* Oklahoma St.
* Penn St.
* Virginia Tech
* LSU
* Oregon St.
* Miami (FL)
* Clemson
* BYU
* USC
* Utah
* California
* Houston
* North Carolina
* Mississippi

#561713 11/23/09 04:53 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
And here are the ten games for this week. Please note that there are Thursday & Friday games so be sure to get your picks in early!

Texas @ Texas A&M _ THURSDAY
Alabama @ Auburn - FRIDAY
Pitt @ West Virginia - FRIDAY
Clemson @ South Carolina
Oklahoma @ Oklahoma State
Missouri @ Kansas
Utah @ BYU
Tennessee @ Kentucky
Arkansas @ LSU
Notre Dame @ Stanford

#561714 11/26/09 01:20 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Texas @ <strike>Texas A&M</strike>
Potential to unhinge Texas' season but don't think so.

Alabama @ <strike>Auburn</strike>
Ditto with this game.

<strike>Pitt</strike> @ West Virginia
I think Pitt stumbles here on the road.

Clemson @ <strike>South Carolina</strike>
The one week of the year I don't root for Carolina. We need to keep the momentum running into next week's ACC title game.[/strike]

<strike>Oklahoma</strike> @ Oklahoma State
[i]Home field will magnify that the better team this year will prevail.

Missouri @ <strike>Kansas</strike>
I don't think the Jayhawks will be focused enough to win with all the controversy and uncertainty surrounding their coach.

<strike>Utah</strike> @ BYU
Should be a good team. I figure the home team prevails

<strike>Tennessee</strike> @ Kentucky
Take THAT one, Kiffin!

<strike>Arkansas</strike> @ LSU
I was extrememly tempted to take the Razorbacks here, but I think Miles and his Tigers will be ready to redeem themselves after last week's debacle.

<strike>Notre Dame</strike> @ Stanford
The Irish are a pure trainwreck now.

#561715 11/26/09 06:40 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Texas @ Texas A&M ~ Usually this is a good game with unpredictable results. I think Texas wins this one on it's way the the National Championship game.

Alabama @ Auburn - Auburn has gotten better but not good enough. 'Bama should prevail.

Pitt @ West Virginia - Should be a rough & tumble game but Pitt's offense should carry them to the win in a squeaker.

Clemson @ South Carolina ~ Gotta go with Clemson with the way they've been playing.

Oklahoma @ Oklahoma State ~ The Cowboys are the better team. OU has had their number for years and it is an OU home game but I think Oklahoma State wants to keep their BCS hopes alive enough to pull this one out.

Missouri @ Kansas ~ KU isn't that good this yer and the distractions concerning Mangino will make it even worse. Missouri wins here.

Utah @ BYU ~ The Holy War is always a brutal game. Both schools come into the game 9-2 with some good wins on their schedule. Going with homefield and giving the nod to BYU.

Tennessee @ Kentucky ~ The Vols have beaten Kentucky for 24 straight years, the longest active streak for annual matches. But I don't think they make it 25. Kentucky for the win.

Arkansas @ LSU ~ The razorbacks are good but LSU is a bit better and they want to redeem themselves after last week's nightmare game finale. LSU hangs on to win.

Notre Dame @ Stanford ~ The only question in my mind by is how many points does Stanford win?

#561716 11/26/09 11:05 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Texas
Alabama
Pitt
Clemson
Oklahoma State
Missouri
BYU
Kentucky
LSU
Stanford

Something pithy!
#561717 11/27/09 06:47 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
So far, Bama over Auburn, and Texas over Texas A and M.

Something pithy!
#561718 11/28/09 03:02 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
South Carolina beat Clemson!!!!!

I picked them to lose, but this makes me not give a crap that I was wrong.

<span style="font-size: 20px;">GO COCKS</span>

Something pithy!
#561719 11/28/09 03:15 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
SC obviously wanted it more, so congrats Rick.

#561720 11/28/09 06:10 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Thanks, Lardi, enjoy your bowl game. And you guys still hit 8 and 4, we barely made 7 and 5. You got nothing to feel bad about.

Something pithy!
#561721 11/30/09 08:34 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Okay....

Texas won
Alabama won
West Virginia won
South Carolina won
Oklahoma sooners won
Missouri won
BYU won
Tennessee won
LSU won
Stanford won

Something pithy!
#561722 11/30/09 08:39 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
So, I got six outta ten right for 60% correct on the last week.

That finishes me at 61.1%

Better than 50/50.

How bout the rest of you guys?

Something pithy!
#561723 12/02/09 04:37 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Here are the results. What a weekend!

Week 13 results:
rickshaw1 - 60%
Lard Lad - 70%
Vee - 60%
Cobie - N/A

After thirteen weeks here are the standings:

Lardy 67% (80/120)
rickshaw1 61% (55/90)
Cobie 61% (61/100)
Vee 59% (77/130)

#561724 12/02/09 04:47 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Bowl Champ. Series

* Florida
* Alabama
* Texas
* TCU
* Cincinnati
* Boise St.
* Oregon
* Ohio St.
* Iowa
* Georgia Tech
* Penn St.
* Virginia Tech
* LSU
* BYU
* Pittsburgh
* Oregon St.
* Miami (FL)
* USC
* California
* Oklahoma St.
* Houston
* Nebraska
* West Virginia
* Stanford
* Utah

#561725 12/02/09 04:49 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I apologize for getting this up so late. We suffered the loss of a long time, valued and loved employee a few days ago to lung cancer and we've been trying to help his wife and family deal with all of the arrangements

Please note, there were very few options for this last weekend of games but a number of them are conference championships so this should be a tough week of picks. There is a Thursday night game so we really don't have much time to make up our minds. Good luck!

Oregon @ Oregon State - THURSDAY
Houston @ East Carolina
West Virginia @ Rutgers
Cincinnati @ Pitt
Arizona @ USC
Florida @ Alabama
Georgia Tech @ Clemson
Texas @ Nebraska
South Florida @ Connecticut
Wisconsin @ Hawaii

#561726 12/02/09 05:07 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
BTW, with all the bowl games coming up, we'll close out the season with two sets of Bowl picks. Part 1 will include 10 intriguing early minor and mid major bowls. And Part 2 will include 10 others including mid majors, the BCS bowls and the BCS Championship Game.

#561727 12/02/09 11:32 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I don't know most of these, so pure guess on most.

Oregon @ Oregon State - THURSDAY Oregon
Houston @ East Carolina East Carolina
West Virginia @ Rutgers WV
Cincinnati @ Pitt Cinn
Arizona @ USC USC
Florida @ Alabama Florida
Georgia Tech @ Clemson Clemson
Texas @ Nebraska Texas
South Florida @ Connecticut Uconn
Wisconsin @ Hawaii Wisconsin

Something pithy!
#561728 12/03/09 06:44 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
And here are my picks...

Oregon @ Oregon State - THURSDAY ~ Oregon assures themselves of the Pac 10 championship and a trip to the Rose Bowl with this win.

Houston @ East Carolina ~ East Carolina always plays tough but Houston has a very high powered offense this year. Houston should win the C-USA title here.

West Virginia @ Rutgers ~ Tough pick. West Virginia has had a bit of an off season but they still managed some impressive wins. Rutgers is always tough at home but I think WVU wins.

Cincinnati @ Pitt ~ This should be an excellent Big East Championship battle. In the end I think Cincy prevails and assures a trip to one of the BCS bowl games.

Arizona @ USC ~ Arizona is better than people know but I really don't think USC has a 4 loss season in them. USC pulls it out.

Florida @ Alabama ~ Another tough pick. I would love to see Alabama win and shut the Gators up for a while but I fear that won't happen. I think the Gators manage to pull out a win to go to the BCS Championship Game.

Georgia Tech @ Clemson ~ Ouch! Both teams suffered painful losses last week to their instate rivals so the question becomes who can regain their focus best. I could easily pick either team but I suspect that Clemson might be just a little bit better and will win the ACC Championship.

Texas @ Nebraska ~ Texas should be able to handle Nebraska as long as they are not caught flat footed looking ahead to their shot at the National Championship.

South Florida @ Connecticut ~ UConn and South Florida are two of the best up and coming programs not only in the Big East but nationally. With the win against ND behind them, the Huskies should be in fine form. South Florida took a beating from my Canes last week and may still be saying "what if" instead of focusing on the game. I'll take the Huskies though it could go either way.

Wisconsin @ Hawaii ~ As usually no one hears anything about Hawaii during the year but every year some big name school goes over there and gets taken to the cleaners. Maybe its because of the long travel times...or maybe it's the distraction of being in Hawaii but it happens every year. As tough as Wisconsin is, I think this will be that surprise game that will have everyone talking about Hawaii once again.

#561729 12/03/09 01:27 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Sorry guys I've been MIA, just been so damn busy this time of the year and it's only getting worse. I haven't even watched a game in two weeks. In the meanwhile, I see Lardy has dominated during that time.

Oregon
Houston
WV
Cinci - and then the coach becomes new ND coach next year laugh
USC
Florida - crap, I really want Alabama to win and almost picked them b/c of that. But I think ultimately Florida will pull it off.
Clemson
Texas - I also think it'll be Florida/Texas Championsihp
UCONN - the weather here is supposed to be miserable on Saturday and that should help
Hawaii - their advantage is one of those things I can't stand and I think it'll be the deciding factor here.

#561730 12/03/09 10:06 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Yikes, Vee--Thursday snuck up on me! shocked

Would it be okay if I pick the other nine games (even though the Oregon/Oregon St. game is still very much in doubt midway thru the third)?

If so, here are my picks sans commentary:

Houston
West Virginia
Pitt
USC
Florida
Clemson (though they'll most likely lose since everybody picked 'em this week...come on, guys! mad )
Texas
Connecticut
Wisconsin

#561731 12/03/09 10:13 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
(by the way, I hope Oregon State wins)

#561732 12/07/09 04:42 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Wow! There were some wild and wooly games this weekend. Here are the results.

Week 14 results:
rickshaw1 - 70%
Lard Lad - 40%
Vee - 50%
Cobie - 50%

After fourteen weeks here are the standings:

Lardy 65% (84/129)
rickshaw1 62% (62/100)
Cobie 60% (66/110)
Vee 59% (82/140)

#561733 12/07/09 04:45 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Here are the week 14 BCS standings....

1 Alabama
2 Texas
3 Cincinnati
4 TCU
5 Florida
6 Boise State
7 Oregon
8 Ohio State
9 Georgia Tech
10 Iowa
11 Virginia Tech
12 LSU
13 Penn State
14 Brigham Young
15 Miami (FL)
16 West Virginia
17 Pittsburgh
18 Oregon State
19 Oklahoma State
20 Arizona
21 Stanford
22 Nebraska
23 Utah
24 USC
25 Wisconsin

#561734 12/07/09 05:26 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Here's the first group of bowl games. Lots of intriguing matchups that should be challenging to pick. Please post your choices by the start of the first game @ 4:30 pm on 12/26.

Bowl Games Part 1
Meineke Bowl - Pitt v. North Carolina (Charlotte, NC 12/26/2009)
Music City Bowl - Kentucky v. Clemson (Nashville, TN, 12/27/2009)
Independence Bowl - Texas A&M v. Georgia (Shreveport, LA 12/28/2009)
Champs Sports Bowl - Miami v. Wisconsin (Orlando, FL, 12/29/2009)
Pacific Life Holiday Bowl - Nebraska v. Arizona (San Diego, CA 12/30/2009)
Brut Sun Bowl - Oklahoma v. Stanford (El Paso, TX, 12/31/2009)
Insight Bowl - Iowa State v Minnesota (Tempe, AZ, 12/31/2009)
Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl - Tennessee v. Virginia Tech (Atlanta, GA 12/31/2009)
Capitol 1 Citrus Bowl - Penn State v. LSU (Orlando, FL, 1/1/2010)
Gator Bowl - West Virginia v. Florida State (Jacksonville, FL, 1/1/2010)

#561735 12/07/09 03:40 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
And here's the second set of Bowl games. These selections will need to be posted by the start of the first game on January 1st (11 am on January 1)

Bowl Games Part 2
Outback Bowl - Northwestern v. Auburn (Tampa, FL 1/1/2010)
Rose Bowl - Ohio State v Oregon (Pasadena, CA 1/1/2010)
Sugar Bowl - Florida v. Cincinnati (New Orleans, LA 1/1/2010)
Cotton Bowl - Oklahoma State v Ole Miss (Arlington, TX 1/2/2010)
Liberty Bowl - Arkansas v. East Carolina (Memphis, TN 1/2/2010)
Papa Johns Bowl - Connecticut v. South Carolina (Birmingham, AL 1/2/2010)
Valero Alamo Bowl - Texas Tech v. Michigan State (San Antonio, TX 1/2/2010)
Fiesta Bowl - Boise State v TCU (Glendale, AZ 1/4/2010)
Orange Bowl - Georgia Tech v Iowa (Miami, FL 1/5/2010)
BCS Championship - Texas v. Alabama (Pasadena, CA 1/7/2010)

Good luck everyone!

#561736 12/15/09 09:27 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Just a reminder, the first set of bowl selections are due by 4:30 pm on 12/26 so get cracking!

#561737 12/24/09 04:16 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
My guesses for Bowl Games Part 1

Meineke Bowl - Pitt v. North Carolina (Charlotte, NC 12/26/2009) ~ Pitt was just one last minute point from playing in a BCS bowl. Although UNC has been pretty tough for much of the season and it's almost a home game for them, I'm going with the Pitt Panthers.

Music City Bowl - Kentucky v. Clemson (Nashville, TN, 12/27/2009) ~ Unlike the past couple of years, Kentucky wasn't a great team this year. On the other hand, Clemson almost won the ACC Championship with solid performances all year. I'm taking the Clemson Tigers for the win.

Independence Bowl - Texas A&M v. Georgia (Shreveport, LA 12/28/2009) ~ Every time I've picked Georgia this year they've disappointed me, but I just don't see the Aggies beating the Dawgs. Georgia for the win.

Champs Sports Bowl - Miami v. Wisconsin (Orlando, FL, 12/29/2009) ~ If it weren't for a backroom deal to give Bobby Bowden a spotlight sendoff, Miami would have been playing in the Gator Bowl against West Virginia. Instead the Canes had to settle for a spot in the lesser Champs Sports Bowl in Orlando. While it makes for a much easier trip to the game for me, the Canes should be pissed and roll over Wisconsin. Miami for the win.

Pacific Life Holiday Bowl - Nebraska v. Arizona (San Diego, CA 12/30/2009) ~ Nebraska can be tough at time (but usually only when playing at home) but the Wildcats have been flying under the radar all year in my opinion. Arizona for the win.

Brut Sun Bowl - Oklahoma v. Stanford (El Paso, TX, 12/31/2009) ~ This one is a tough pick. Both teams have had solid seasons with quality wins. With the game in El Paso, I expect the stadium to be filled with howling Sooner fans so I'm going with Oklahoma for the win.

Insight Bowl - Iowa State v Minnesota (Tempe, AZ, 12/31/2009) ~ Another tough call. Having seen the Golden Gophers play at least once, I know they have a pretty tough defense. The Cyclones are known for their high powered offense but I don't think it's been all that high powered this year. I'm going with the Gophers to pull out the win.

Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl - Tennessee v. Virginia Tech (Atlanta, GA 12/31/2009) ~ While this years Hokies may not have been as dominating as they have been in recent years, they're still much better than the Volunteers. VA Tech for the win.

Capital 1 Citrus Bowl - Penn State v. LSU (Orlando, FL, 1/1/2010) ~ This should be a pretty damn good game. Penn State has traditionally done well in the Citrus Bowl and brings tons of fans with them to Orlando. Both teams had good, though not necessarily great years which makes this one of the toughest picks in this group for me. Going to take the Tigers to take down the Nittany Lions and keep my fingers crossed.

Gator Bowl - West Virginia v. Florida State (Jacksonville, FL, 1/1/2010) ~ Florida State doesn't belong here but the stadium will be packed with emotional Seminoles and much will be made of this being Bobby's last game as the FSU head coach. If this were a Hollywood movie, the Seminoles would send Bobby out on a great win for his last game but I don't think West Virginia has gotten that script. I look for the Mountaineers to handle FSU and send former coach Bowden home with a lose as a reminder that he probably should have retired about 2-3 years ago when he was still on top. West Virginia for the win.

#561738 12/24/09 08:40 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
No time for commentary, but here's my picks:

Meineke Bowl - Pitt
Music City Bowl - Clemson
Independence Bowl - Georgia
Champs Sports Bowl - Miami
Pacific Life Holiday Bowl - Nebraska
Brut Sun Bowl - Stanford
Insight Bowl - Iowa State
Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl - Virginia Tech (toughest pick of this batch for me)
Capitol 1 Citrus Bowl - Penn State
Gator Bowl - West Virginia

#561739 12/26/09 03:15 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Missed the first game...

Clemson
Georgia
Miami
Arizona
Oklahoma
Iowa State
Virginia Tech
Penn State
West Virginia

#561740 12/28/09 11:22 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Sunday's Music City Bowl was a nice coda to the college career of one C.J. Spiller, even though I feel Clemson, like Miami, got jobbed by having to play in such a lesser bowl when backdoor politics gave a crappy FSU team a much more choice slot. (I hope the 'Noles get effin' PUMMELED!!!) C.J. deserved a better spotlight and a trip to the Heisman ceremony, but I'll always remember his contributions to my Clemson team. At least, Clemson's bowl losing streak was snapped, and we took out an SEC team in the process.

Whatever NFL team gets Spiller will be fortunate, indeed!

#561741 12/29/09 01:20 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Lardi:
Sunday's Music City Bowl was a nice coda to the college career of one C.J. Spiller, even though I feel Clemson, like Miami, got jobbed by having to play in such a lesser bowl when backdoor politics gave a crappy FSU team a much more choice slot. (I hope the 'Noles get effin' PUMMELED!!!) C.J. deserved a better spotlight and a trip to the Heisman ceremony, but I'll always remember his contributions to my Clemson team. At least, Clemson's bowl losing streak was snapped, and we took out an SEC team in the process.

Whatever NFL team gets Spiller will be fortunate, indeed!
Lardi, I could not agree more! Clemson deserved a much better bowl that the Music City Bowl. They should have been in line even ahead of my Canes, IMO.

Also, CJ Spiller absolutely should have been in NYC and should have been one of the top contenders for the Heisman. As a matter of fact, he should have been sitting in Tebow's chair. While I'll admit that Tim Tebow is a great QB and has a bright future in the NFL, he certainly did not have a Heisman year and should not have been among those invited.

Clemson and CJ had a great bowl. Congrats to them and all their fans for a great year.

#561742 12/31/09 08:26 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Well, the season ended on a sour note for my Canes. We really looked out of sorts in the Champs Sports Bowl. Jacory played like he was in a fog or uncomfortable all game.

While I would love to have seen them close out the year with a bowl victory and a 10 game winning season, I have to say that I'm pleased with how well we did this year. They exceeded my expectations and got some wins I didn't anticipate. That starting run of 4 games this year could have been a disaster and we could easily have started out at 0-4. Instead we went 3-1 and ended up with a 9 win season.

All in all, I'm pleased and look forward to an even better year next year when all these freshmen & sophomores have one more year under their belts.

#561743 12/31/09 09:15 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Here are my picks for the second set of bowl games. Remember, you need to have them posted before 11 AM tomorrow when the first game starts!

Bowl Games Part 2

Outback Bowl - Northwestern v. Auburn (Tampa, FL 1/1/2010) ~ Northwestern has been building a pretty good football program in Evanston but their not quite ready to take out a tough Auburn squad.

Rose Bowl - Ohio State v Oregon (Pasadena, CA 1/1/2010) ~ Like USC, I'm sick and tired of Ohio State and want to see them taken out. And Oregon has the talent to do it. Oregon for the win.

Sugar Bowl - Florida v. Cincinnati (New Orleans, LA 1/1/2010) I think everyone assumes the Gators will run away with this one, not giving much credit to the Bearcats. Although I think the Gators will prevail, I think they are going to get the scare of their lives from Cincy.

Cotton Bowl - Oklahoma State v Ole Miss (Arlington, TX 1/2/2010) ~ Tough call on the outcome of this game. I think the Rebels and Cowboys are fairly evenly matched. I'm going to take Oklahoma State because they are a bit more explosive and should be able to put more points on the board.

Liberty Bowl - Arkansas v. East Carolina (Memphis, TN 1/2/2010) ~ East Carolina has a decent team but I don't believe they can handle the Razorbacks defensive line nor their running attack. Arkansas for the win.

Papa Johns Bowl - Connecticut v. South Carolina (Birmingham, AL 1/2/2010) ~ Another tough game to call. You can never count out Spurrier but the Huskies have been through the cauldron this year and have come out tougher from it. I think UConn pulls an upset over the Gamecocks.

Valero Alamo Bowl - Texas Tech v. Michigan State (San Antonio, TX 1/2/2010) ~ A week ago I would have picked Texas Tech hands down. Were they facing any other team but the Spartans I think the turmoil would have done them in, but the Spartans have their own problems with many of their team suspended from play. Texas Tech gets the win.

Fiesta Bowl - Boise State v TCU (Glendale, AZ 1/4/2010) ~ This may well be one of the highest scoring games of the year. Both of these teams have explosive offenses and can score points in chunks. I think Boise's sophomore Qb should have been a Heisman contender and his twin brother the receiver ain't bad either. It's a real shame these two teams got paired against each other since i would rather have seen each of them paired against a BCS conference team so the uncertainty about how the WAC and MWC conferences match up against the big boys could have been resolved for good. When all is said and done I think TCU pulls this one out but it could go either way.

Orange Bowl - Georgia Tech v Iowa (Miami, FL 1/5/2010) ~ Georgia Tech should run rampant over Iowa who will have a tough time chasing the Yellowjackets option atack all over the field.

BCS Championship - Texas v. Alabama (Pasadena, CA 1/7/2010) ~ This should be a great game showcasing two legitimate Heisman contenders from this year. Both teams match up well and it could easily come down to McCoy v Ingram. Whoever has the better game will lead his team to victory. Since Ingram won the Heisman, I'm picking Texas to win the Championship. After all this past decade the Heisman curse has been almost as potent as the Sports Illustrated curse.

#561744 01/01/10 12:54 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Too late to pick the Outback Bowl (though it's tied at 21 at the moment!), but as for the rest:

Rose Bowl - Oregon
Sugar Bowl - Florida
Cotton Bowl - Oklahoma State
Liberty Bowl - Arkansas
Papa Johns Bowl - South Carolina
Valero Alamo Bowl - Texas Tech (I think this bowl being in Texas will aid this program in turmoil)
Fiesta Bowl - TCU
Orange Bowl - Georgia Tech
BCS Championship - Alabama

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,371
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
jab, stile86
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
taichara
taichara
Hou'ou-shi
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star