Roll Call
0 members (), 51 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Super Friends
#563214 01/27/07 01:07 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
OP Offline
Fabulous and Sparkly!
I'm quite surprised I haven't found a thread here about the Super Friends. I think many of us who grew up in the '70s had our first exposure to DC characters through this series. Even though they often took liberties with the DC continuity of the time--and introduced such embarrassing characters as Black Vulcan and Apache Chief--for an eight-year-old it was just so cool!

Boomerang has been showing the 1977 All New Super Friends Hour (the first season with the Wonder Twins) and it's been fun reliving my childhood. The other night they showed the episode "The Mind Maidens" in which a deranged woman named Medulla attempts to take over the world by possessing women with her "Will Booster" ("We are with you, Medulla!") and force the women to dematerialize men who were then stored on computer tapes. Lots of campy fun!

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
Re: Super Friends
#563215 01/27/07 01:12 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
You know... the funny thing is I was just thinking this morning about one might re-imagine El Dorado!

#563216 01/27/07 02:20 PM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
Tee hee. I was just watching Superfriends last night!! It's fun to relive my childhood (yes, they showed it when babies like me were five, too) but it also made my brain melt a little bit.

"Wonder Twin powers, activate!"
"Form of... steam!"
"Form of... mosquito"

Then, they sort of saved Aquaman and got sent to the crushing pressures of the deep ocean with him. But it was okay because giant squids came to save them and... yeah.

#563217 01/27/07 02:28 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
The only ones I really remember watching when they were "new" were the last couple of seasons, when they made Darkseid the main villain. I always kind of liked Darkseid as a villain. I wonder why he never tries to force Wonder Woman to marry him in the comics?

#563218 01/27/07 02:34 PM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
Ooh, I saw that one a few weeks ago! Cyborg was there with Firestorm and my friend Susan was like, "Cyborg was never on the Super Friends!" And I was like, "Well, I'm watching him right now, so he must've been." The whole thing was weird but made me giggle so all was well. laugh

#563219 01/27/07 04:08 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
The only ones I really remember watching when they were "new" were the last couple of seasons, when they made Darkseid the main villain. I always kind of liked Darkseid as a villain. I wonder why he never tries to force Wonder Woman to marry him in the comics?
Yeah those were bizzare, I remember watching those as they came out. I would have been around 7-9.

#563220 01/27/07 05:01 PM
Leader
Leader
Having seen THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN in 1966 and the various other Filmation cartoons of the late 60's, I thought THE SUPER FRIENDS was too "watered-down"-- but then, almost everything on Saturday mornings in the 1970's was. Those pesky "anti-violence" groups had done their best to remove anything exciting from the airwaves...

I finally checked out the show again for it's LAST season, SUPER POWER: GALACTIC GUARDIANS, and even taped them. They included reruns from the previous season, and even there you could see a major improvement from one year to the next. I tend to refer to them as the "Firestorm" season and the "Cyborg" season. The look of the show genuinely improved for the "Cyborg" season. I just wish they'd have made more than just 8 episodes. (Cheap bastards!!!)

For me, one of the coolest thing about those later episodes was having Adam West do the voice of BATMAN. In fact, they did an episode featuring The Scarecrow that was the first time (I believe) they ever did Batman's origin on film! (This was some years before they began regurgitating his origin just about every single month in the comics...)

The WB SUPERMAN cartoons may have been better-written, but the guy who voiced Darkseid on them just wasn't nearly as spooky as the one from SUPER POWERS.

#563221 01/27/07 06:13 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
OP Offline
Fabulous and Sparkly!
I am not ashamed to admit that when I was a kid, I loved the Wonder Twins. I think Zan was one of my first cartoon crushes.

My sister and I used to play Wonder Twins. We could never get the dog to hold a bucket though. wink

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#563222 01/27/07 07:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I thought it was funny that on "Superfriends", Green Lantern was really tan (cuz he's from California I suppose). He lost his color on "Super Power" though.

#563223 01/28/07 03:47 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally posted by profh0011:
The WB SUPERMAN cartoons may have been better-written, but the guy who voiced Darkseid on them just wasn't nearly as spooky as the one from SUPER POWERS.
I agree. And to give credit where it's due, the better Darkseid voice was none other than the great Frank Welker.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#563224 01/28/07 04:02 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Ah, you young whipper-snappers. Let's see, in the fall of 1973, when Super Friends first premiered, I was six years old and starting 1st grade at the school down the street. I was SO excited that Saturday morning -- Super Friends and Star Trek The Animated Series were both premiering. I think I woke up at about 3 in the morning, and stayed awake, until the shows came on.

Yes, the first season of Super Friends was very preachy and not very exciting. At the same time, we often got to see the abilities of the members really showcased, especially Aquaman. Oops, there goes the Troub-Alert!

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#563225 01/28/07 08:16 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
I still would like to see that first season with Marvin & Wendy again. I loved the guest-hero episodes.

I also like when they did the team-ups later on. They did one with Green Lantern (Teaming with Batman I think) The writers & animators must have been told that Green Lantern can create anything with his ring, so they have him create a Lantern Jet so he can fly.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#563226 01/31/07 09:31 PM
Active
Active
Yeah I remember being disappointed with their version of GL's powers and what was up with his skin tone? I guess he was the only Super Friend with the power to tan... SUPER-TAN! And then there was that Asin tornado guy. No Red Tornado in sight. I guess it was their effort to be more ethnically diverse but it sucked 'cause I loved Red Tornado.

Is that a moon?
#563227 02/01/07 02:39 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
OP Offline
Fabulous and Sparkly!
By the Challenge of the Super Friends season they figured out that GL was able to fly with his ring. I remember seeing the "Lantern Jet" episodes and thinking there was something wrong with that.

As for Samurai, his power was a bit confusing. He apparently could turn into wind, fire or become invisible. Mostly, he did the wind thing where the lower half of his body was a whirlwind, as UL said, not unlike Red Tornado.

Of course, Samurai's compatriots Black Vulcan and Apache Chief found their place much later as fodder for laughs in Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law.

#563228 02/01/07 02:19 PM
Active
Active
I thought it was so stupid to call him Samurai. Why? -Just because he was Japanese? He didn't wield a sword or anything. It's like why call Black Vulcan that name? Is it not enough to know he is a black character, but what, we have to put it in his name too? Did the creators ever learn anything from Black Lightning?

#563229 02/02/07 04:51 AM
Leader
Leader
Do/did y'all have the toys? I still have mine (somewhere) in my parents' garage. I never did get most of the 'Wave 3' characters (Shazam, Mr. Miracle, Plastic Man, etc.) but I always loved hunting those figures.

#563230 06/07/07 12:31 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
OP Offline
Fabulous and Sparkly!
They've been showing the Wendy and Marvin episodes for the last week. I hadn't seen these episodes for many years, but decided to try them out again.

I have a few observations:

The producers learned a lot after that first season, particularly about pacing. The hour-long format did get the stories to drag a bit.

It's implied in these episodes that the Super Friends and the Justice League are not quite synonymous, a bit of information lost in later seasons. Wendy and Marvin often refer to Supes, Bats, WW and Aquaman as "our Super Friends" and that their Super Friends are part of the Justice League.

The episode in which Clark Kent appears includes Clark stating that he is from the Galaxy Broadcasting System, which would have been in keeping with the comics of the time. Later seasons refer to Clark as a Daily Planet reporter.

Wonder Dog is quite possibly the most annoying cartoon mascot of all time.

Now they need to show Schoolhouse Rock after the episodes! laugh

#563231 08/07/07 08:33 PM
As I already mentioned in the Shout Box, I just bought a DVD set of Super Powers, or as Prof calls it, The Firestorm Season.

I'm fangirling like crazy, so as soon as I log out, I'm watching it. What a thrill -- as a kid, I only saw one episode, but I loved it, and Frank Welker's voice acting as Darkseid left an indelible impression on me. When I write my Imperial Guard fanfics, the Supreme Intelligence invariably speaks in That Voice (even though I also have the Supreme Intelligence steal a few phrases from Silverhawks' lead baddie, Monstar.)

I'll post mini-reviews of all the episodes over the next few days.

#563232 08/08/07 08:55 PM
Active
Active
If either Wonder Twins or Marvin,Wendy and Wonder Dog were in the Cyborg season episodes would their appearances be slightly altered?

Imagine Jayna with the big hair look or a jheri curl look? How would Zan look with a mullet or a Mohawk?

Wendy would dress similar to those Madonna wannabes or the 'Flashdance' look and Marvin...hmmm, what about him? what eighties fashion trend should he embrace or still wear that white sweatshirt and green cape from the 1973 series?

Meanwhile,Gleek is still Gleek and likewise Wonder Dog!

#563233 08/08/07 10:02 PM
Before getting to the individual episodes, I must address the overall effectiveness of the voice acting. I've already mentioned how much I like Frank Welker as Darkseid, but what is a villain without a sidekick, in this case De Saad, played with just the right degree of campiness by Rene Auberjonois (there's also Darkseid's son Kalibak, but even with Welker doing his voice, he comes up short. Next best are Mark L. Taylor and Olan Soule, both spot on as the two components of Firestorm, college kid Ronnie Raymond and wise old Professor Martin Stein. If Olan Soule's voice sounds familiar, it's because he had voiced Batman during all the previous seasons of Super Friends. In this season, Batman is voiced by Adam West -- personally that doesn't work for me, because West sounds like he's not putting any real effort into his voice acting. Another weak link is Constance Cawlfield, taking over from Shannon Farnon as Wonder Woman; she's too nasal and too colloquial. There is comfort in having some longtime cast member around in familiar roles, among them Danny Dark as Superman, Casey Kasem as Robin, and Stanley Jones as Lex Luthor. And the cherry on top for me is the presence of one of my favorite voice actresses, Mary McDonald Lewis, making cameos as Lois Lane -- the same year as Super Powers, she also debuted in the second G.I. Joe miniseries in what would prove to be her most famous role, Lady Jaye.

It goes without saying that I had to start with the one episode that I saw back in the day and impressed me so much. Looking at the tracklisting, it was easy to figure out that the episode in question was DARKSEID'S GOLDEN TRAP, PARTS 1 AND 2 (when I saw it in the 80s, the title cards had been edited out, and I wasn't aware that the episodes were usually only 10 minutes each.)

A big plus in my book is that, except for a couple scenes at the Hall of Justice, this episode takes place entirely in outer space, so we see lots of weird aliens and alien cities and space vehicles, the kind of stuff I like a lot. In the episode, one team of Super Friends fails to prevent Darkseid from acquiring a hunk of Gold Kryptonite, and instead are captured and imprisoned on an asteroid; despite the danger to him, Superman joins a second team of Super Friends to find the asteroid and rescue their teammates, but without Superman getting exposed to the Gold K, which would permanently remove his powers. Despite giving too much screen time to El Dorado, one of those Annoying Ethnic Stereotype Super Friends, this is still a terrific episode that I enjoyed as much as I did 20 years ago.

Now for the rest of the episodes on the first disc:

The first episode of the season, THE BRIDE OF DARKSEID PARTS ONE AND TWO, thankfully transcends its dreadful title and the bad idea of having Darkseid obsessed with making Wonder Woman his queen (it's a credit to Frank Welker that he rises above the scripts and does better by Darkseid than the writers do.) This episode should have been titled something like THE COMING OF FIRESTORM, because that's really the main thrust, introducing Firestorm and Ronnie and the Professor to viewers, and very effectively too -- I haven't read many comics with Firestorm, but he's so likeable on the show that it's made me interested in investigating his comics appearances. Could anyone please make some recommendations?

There follow three excellent one-part episodes, THE WRATH OF BRAINIAC (with Brainiac in his cool and creepy skull-faced robot design from 1983-85), REFLECTIONS IN CRIME (I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Mirror Master is an underrated villain -- oddly enough, the Flash does not appear), and NO HONOR AMONG THIEVES (featuring a Darkseid/Luthor team-up, clever twists and turns, and an armada from Apokolips.)

Three good ones followed by three bad ones: MR. MXYZPTLK AND THE MAGIC LAMP (I hate Mxyzptlk -- even Welker can't make him work), THE CASE OF THE SHRINKING SUPER FRIENDS (featuring that old kids' TV standby, the shrinking ray), and THE MASK OF MYSTERY (where a nerdy high school kid wants to be a superhero.)

Which brings us full circle to DARKSEID'S GOLDEN TRAP PARTS ONE AND TWO, which I'll undoubtedly watch again very soon.

But not before I watch the second disk, so watch this space for more reviews.

#563234 08/09/07 07:37 PM
I've seen two more episodes:

ISLAND OF DOCTOR MOREAU...oops, I mean...ISLAND OF THE DINOSOIDS -- Just like with the shrinking ray episode, this kind of plot is too well-worn for me.

THE ROYAL RUSE -- Now this one is great! I can never get enough of Darkseid as voiced by Welker. As with DARKSEID'S GOLDEN TRAP, it takes place almost entirely in outer space, and there's a plot twist that actually surprised my jaded self.

#563235 08/10/07 10:14 PM
I finished the rest of the episodes, sort of:

UNCLE MXYZPTLK: I had to stop watching this one, it was getting on my nerves. Way too much Silver Age DC frivolity for my taste (Superman turns into a little kid.)

THE CASE OF THE DREADFUL DOLLS: In the commentary track, this episode's writer says that in his early drafts, the villain was the Toyman, but later turned into a new villain named the Dollman -- much more interesting than the episode itself.

THE VILLAGE OF LOST SOULS and THE CURATOR: Both of these were okay but not memorable. The former has Brianiac mentally enslaving a small town, and the title villain of the latter is a case of DC ripping off Marvel, in this case the Collector (unless someone who is much more knowledgeable about the DC universe than yours truly is aware of some obscure villain that Marvel ripped off.)

So, in all, half good-to-great and half fair-to-middling -- NO HONOR AMONG THIEVES, THE ROYAL RUSE, THE WRATH OF BRAINIAC, REFLECTIONS IN CRIME, THE BRIDE OF DARKSEID PARTS ONE AND TWO, and of course, DARKSEID'S GOLDEN TRAP PARTS ONE AND TWO are all due for multiple viewings.

And The Cyborg Season is due on DVD in October. laugh

#563236 08/29/07 08:11 PM
Active
Active
Wonder Dog is quite possibly the most annoying cartoon mascot of all time.
. True that! A blatant rip-off of Scooby Doo if ever I saw one and Marvin was no better than a younger, stupider, less-stoned Shaggy, with a cape. The only episodes I remember with them were the one with the Balloon People and the one having something to do with Cape Canaveral and the totally goofy "Super" villain -with a mentally deficient henchmen, who said " Hungry, thirsty whatta day, whatta day what a hungry thirsty, thirsty day!" Which was hilarious enough to have stuck with me for thirty-some years. eek

Is that a moon?
#563237 11/19/07 11:13 PM
After a couple false starts (my local Barnes & Noble is usually very good with pre-ordered DVDs, but somebody screwed up this time), I finally got a copy of the final Super Friends series, "The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians" aka "The Cyborg Season".

I watched it this weekend. Despite an increase in action and much improved animation and production design (the model sheets were by an uncredited Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez) and most of the previous series' voice cast intact (B.J. Ward as Wonder Woman was a slight improvement over Constance Cawfield, but Ward can't hold a candle to Shannon Farnon), it left me cold.

In the "Making Of" documentary, somebody says that the series was a bridge between the older Super Friends cartoons and the DCU cartoons of the past 15 years, and I think that's why it left me cold; it was neither fish nor fowl.

And, like many of the lesser 80s action cartoons, it had a great title sequence that none of the actual episodes could live up to.

#563238 12/01/07 01:49 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
OP Offline
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Shannon Farnon will always be the definitive voice of Wonder Woman for me.

In the 1977 season, I think she and Liberty Williams (Jayna) voiced just about every female character who appeared. All the women pretty much sound like Wonder Woman or Jayna trying to disguise their voices. laugh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,964
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Positive Man
Positive Man
Lisbon
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star