Roll Call
1 members (Nightcrawler, Nightcrawler), 38 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 11:28 AM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added EYEFUL ETHEL & SUNSWORD 5 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 06:42 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 06:41 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by razsolo - 05/06/24 05:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 03:05 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: DVDs In Your Player
#567079 08/27/03 01:48 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
New Release bump!

Rented The Two Towers last night, which I was unable to get to see during the theatrical release (despite having a free ticket that came with FOTR Extended Edition, go figure!)

I have to say, the Tolkien fan in me simply has a tough time swallowing all the excessive liberties taken with adapting the novel. I won't bore you all with the details, but I might have been better off waiting for the TTT EE instead of the theatrical release. It seems like all the little "Tolkein" moments get bumped to the EE, and might have made the TTT seem a little less weak. Peter Jackson seems to crave throwing in an excess of angst and misguided comic relief wherever he can work it in.

That aside, it was pretty to look at and the cast all did pretty well with what they were given. I really hope that ROTK shows an improvement, because TTT was a letdown. (I'll still get the EE of TTT though... I'm sure that at some point I'll be able to take it for what it is, not what it isn't.)

#567080 08/27/03 01:53 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
I'm still torn between wanting to buy Two Towers now or waiting until the special edition comes out. I know I'll end up buying both, just because I'm impatient.

I just picked up Bringing Down the House and Agent Cody Banks. They were both fun, although neither was Academy Award winners. Which isn't a bad thing, I suppose, since lately I've hated most of the Academy Award winning movies wink

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#567081 08/27/03 01:59 PM
Active
Active
i've never been one to buy movies to own, i cant see any reason to watch movies over and over and over. However there are a few movies i would own just to have cause they kicked ass, I own Lord of the Rings spec. ed. which is fantastic and i will be getting Two Towers spec ed when it comes out in nov. i believe, as i will get return of the King.
I just got my DVD player for Xmas and i tend to want to own music dvd's, i havent really started but i have led zep - the song remains the same, its ok but nothing special and i only paid 8 dollars for it. i did however pick up the new led zep live dvd, which is amazing, a lot of excellent stuff on it, almost 6 hrs of live zeppelin

#567082 08/27/03 02:28 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Originally posted by Princess Crujectra:
I'm still torn between wanting to buy Two Towers now or waiting until the special edition comes out. I know I'll end up buying both, just because I'm impatient.

You know, really if you think you might get it you may as well go ahead. With the discounts on it right now it's not much more expensive to buy it than to rent it in the big picture.

#567083 08/27/03 02:50 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally posted by matlock:
You know, really if you think you might get it you may as well go ahead. With the discounts on it right now it's not much more expensive to buy it than to rent it in the big picture.
I know. Worse case scenario I just give the basic one to my brother's family after the special edition comes out. That's what I did with Fellowship of the Ring.

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#567084 08/27/03 03:34 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The Road to Perdition!!!!

Let the Fun Begin!
#567085 08/30/03 05:46 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Just bought the two-DVD special edition of the magnificent-despite-itself "Casablanca." Along with its superb video and audio transfer -- even the credits are sharper than ever -- it has four great virtues:

~ A full-length scene-oriented commentary by Roger Ebert.
~ Another full-length production-oriented commentary by Rudy Behlmer.
~ A fascinating 1988 documentary about Bogart.
~ "Carrotblanca," where the Looney Tunes characters demolish the story.

And a half-dozen other great special features, including a radio play version from 1943. Buy it NOW, folks!

#567086 08/30/03 05:57 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
And the latest rental DVD: "Dangerous Beauty," the moving and gorgeous historical drama (1998) of Veronica Franco, the courtesan who saved Venice, soul and body. It's impressively mounted, but gains its power from being a true story, based on a lively and scholarly biography of this woman who was the first published female poet in Italy.

Catherine McCormack is ravishing as the red-headed young beauty who wants to break out of her society's expectations. Jacqueline Bisset, as her mother, knows the path she can take. Rufus Sewell is fierce in both following what "his station" calls him to do, and listening when his heart says otherwise. Oliver Platt, as Veronica's nemesis, makes a chilling religious turn of character.

"It's the wanting that keeps us alive," says Veronica's mother. You'll be left wanting more of her story.

#567087 08/30/03 07:28 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Greybird:
And the latest rental DVD: "Dangerous Beauty," the moving and gorgeous historical drama (1998) of Veronica Franco, the courtesan who saved Venice, soul and body. It's impressively mounted, but gains its power from being a true story, based on a lively and scholarly biography of this woman who was the first published female poet in Italy.

Catherine McCormack is ravishing as the red-headed young beauty who wants to break out of her society's expectations. Jacqueline Bisset, as her mother, knows the path she can take. Rufus Sewell is fierce in both following what "his station" calls him to do, and listening when his heart says otherwise. Oliver Platt, as Veronica's nemesis, makes a chilling religious turn of character.

"It's the wanting that keeps us alive," says Veronica's mother. You'll be left wanting more of her story.
very descriptive greybird, you should be writing reviews for all movies,

"THE MOVING AND GORGEOUS HISTORICAL DRAMA, i feel like i reading the description right off the back of the dvd box.

#567088 08/31/03 03:22 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Grey you have a fantastic way with words - when you're not bashing my beloved 5YG of course - laugh

ahem.... wee joke aside, I've just bought another Heart in Concert DVD - Alive in Seattle, and it's jam packed with some great songs, a KICKING version of one of my all time fave Zep songs - Battle of Evermore, loads of their older songs (a tremendous Magic Man!) and I think that the Sisters Wilson sound better than ever... if that's possible! laugh laugh laugh

#567089 08/31/03 03:28 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Sonnie Boy:
Grey you have a fantastic way with words - when you're not bashing my beloved 5YG of course - laugh

ahem.... wee joke aside, I've just bought another Heart in Concert DVD - Alive in Seattle, and it's jam packed with some great songs, a KICKING version of one of my all time fave Zep songs - Battle of Evermore, loads of their older songs (a tremendous Magic Man!) and I think that the Sisters Wilson sound better than ever... if that's possible! laugh laugh laugh
You're making me jealous SB. I just love the Wilson sisters. I guess its back to listening to Essential Heart now to make up for it.

#567090 08/31/03 03:43 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Gangs of New York is in my player. Maybe I'll watch it tonight.

Touch the magic...
#567091 08/31/03 03:43 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Scott, I've still to get the essential collection so we can be suitably jealous of each other then.... laugh

<editted as SB hadn't looked at what he typed until after he'd pressed REPLY - d'oh!>

#567092 08/31/03 07:27 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I find it hard to get an Angel or Buffy DVD out of my player on my PC - I often find myself minimising the screen to a tiny window and working away on something else while it plays away.

Unfortunately, I just finished the last four eps of Angel I've got on DVD, so it's time to get the old wallet out again.

Other than Angel/Buffy, it's a Kevin Smith DVD. Got 'em all and love every one.

Wayne@OZ
#567093 09/01/03 03:06 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Watched Vanilla Sky over the weekend... it was interesting. Also, The Good Girl which was fairly good too. I wish I'd have had time to listen to Cameron Crowe and Nancy Wilson's commentary track on Vanilla Sky, but it's due back today.

#567094 09/05/03 11:13 PM
K
Substitute
Substitute
K
got given home-made comp of the Sealab 2021 episodes. hee.

Also managed to get copies of Steven Chow's last two movies, God of Cookery & Shaolin Soccer.

the latter is about a bunch of ex-Shaolin monks being convinced to use their skills on the soccer field.

This is really accessible for western audiences and is one of the best movies i've seen this year from any country.

laugh out loud humour, great action and an engaging story.

It also impressed me for it's use of cgi special eefects, not just the spectacular ones, but some very subtle touches that really show what a good tool it can be, instead of an end unto itself.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,162
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
SCarlet
SCarlet
the Hive
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star