Roll Call
1 members (Nightcrawler, Nightcrawler, Nightcrawler, Nightcrawler, Nightcrawler), 35 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/06/24 07:10 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added EYEFUL ETHEL & SUNSWORD 5 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 06:42 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 06:41 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by razsolo - 05/06/24 05:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 03:07 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 03:05 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 03:00 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Johns, RIP
#568369 09/11/03 04:52 AM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
Not the comic-book writer. In the news in the middle of the night (about 90 minutes ago), nearly simultaneously:

Johnny Cash, classic country singer, dead at 71 of long-standing complications of diabetes. His wife June Carter Cash died a few months ago, and few expected him to survive her for long. Every song you can imagine, from "The Man in Black" to "A Boy Named Sue" to thousands of others, delivered in an often gravelly but utterly unique and powerful voice.

John Ritter, not-quite-that-classic but truly funny comedic actor, dead at 54 of an overlooked weakness in his aortic artery. He was on the set of his remarkably well-received current sitcom "8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter" when he fell ill, and damage may already have been irreparable. A light-comic earnest touch that was underrated.

Two performers many of us, including me and especially in the USA, will miss. Most of these things come in threes. My first (unused) name actually is John, and I'm about to go to bed {rueful but mortality-aware smile}

Re: Johns, RIP
#568370 09/11/03 05:06 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Awful news!!!

I'm terribly upset...

My heart goes out to Johnny's daughter, Rosanne Cash-- my first favorite alt-country chick singer-- and his entire family.

I can remember when THREE'S COMPANY was THE show to watch-- I admit that John Ritter's goofy antics charmed my pre-teen pants off.

Both Johns will be missed!!!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#568371 09/11/03 05:27 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
This is horrible news to wake up to.

I grew up listening to Johnny Cash, amongst other old time country singers. He was always a favorite and it was nice to see him having a second resurgance with today's generation. But he has been in poor health for years and I'm sure his family had time to prepare, as much as one can.

As for John Ritter, I'm in shock. I've never seen a hint he sufferred from any heart ailments but after reading the diagnosis he and his family were probably unaware as well beyond having high blood pressure. He was always good for a laugh, either on Three's Company or Hearts Afire. Unfortunately I have never seen his newest endeavour and now probably will never get the chance.

Rest well Johns. We are poorer for your absence.

#568372 09/11/03 05:30 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Oh Jeez... God bless you Johnny wherever you are now.

#568373 09/11/03 07:22 AM
Reservist
Reservist
What a sad week for music fans everywhere, first Warren now Johnny. frown

#568374 09/11/03 08:13 AM
Active
Active
i think its very sad
i expected johnny cash, but john ritter, of all the people, thats the biggest shock.

#568375 09/11/03 09:45 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Johnny Cash is a tough one to lose and we were all half expecting it, but John Ritter?!? That really came out of nowhere. I can think of two instances where his performance on "Three's Company" had me in stitches, literally laughing so much it hurt -- the one where he's pretending to be his own twin brother (who had a southern accent for some reason) to fool Mr. Furley, and the one where he goes to some party zonked out on pills cuz he was nervous about the short flight there. Hilarious stuff, totally based on his physicality and timing.

I actually passed him on the street once here in NYC (Times Square) -- he was walking with Henry Winkler back when they were doing that play together. Two of my childhood idols right there -- that was cool.

#568376 09/11/03 09:48 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
This is very sad news!!!!

Wasn't John Ritters son in Freddy vs Jason?

Let the Fun Begin!
#568377 09/11/03 09:59 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I do not know Johnny Cash that much, but my mother did. I don't hear music at all, and I remember seeing Johnny Cash's name in my mom's records box when I was curious looking at all those old records (you know the one with big black disc - kind of "pre-CD" or primitive CD?).
Mom loves all those jazzes, country, hip hop, and slow songs.

As for John Ritter, definitely big shock, because I met him in person when I saw him on stage in Denver and he has a relative who happens to be my friend. His cousin also plays Heroclix with me. so I will pass the condolences to him and his family.

May they be blessed.

#568378 09/11/03 10:05 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by icefire:
Wasn't John Ritters son in Freddy vs Jason?
Yeah, he was. I didn't even realize that his son was an actor (he's been in like 8 movies). I had been trying to think of who John Ritter's wife was prior to Amy Yasbleck. It wasn't until checking the Internet Movie Database for his son that I remembered that it was Nancy Morgan. For some reason I was thinking that he was involved with Mary Cadorette, who played his wife in Three's a Crowd.

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#568379 09/11/03 09:36 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Sad and shocking. I was visiting my cousin today when Cash's death came on the news. My cousin informed me of Ritter's passing and I at first thought he was joking.

Ritter, still young and vital, managed a remarkable comeback to sitcom TV. I'd only seen "8 Simple Rules" a couple of times, but it was much better than I expected it to be. The premise seemed silly, but leave it to Ritter and his ensemble cast to make a show that actually seemed to be about more than getting cheap laughs. Ritter was always involved in quality projects; I remember fondly his short-lived "Hooperman" series back in the '80s.

(He also turned in a scary performance as a cyborg, IIRC, on "Buffy" some seasons back.)

I was until recently not a big country fan, but Johnny Cash's influence on all popular music cannot be overstated. He represented that hard-worn but still struggling spirit we think of as American. One of my favorite stories about him concerned the Canadian band The Guess Who, who asked if they could drape the Canadian flag over their piano while they performed on his early '70s TV show. Cash is reported to have said, "I see nothing wrong with flag waving as long as you believe in it" (quoted in American Woman: The Story of The Guess Who by John Einarson). He encouraged national pride -- even when it wasn't his own nation.

The lesson I take from today is a startling reminder to treat every day as if it's the last. One day (perhaps sooner than we think) it will be.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,156
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star