Roll Call
0 members (), 15 Murran Spies, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/01/24 05:54 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 1 MAY*
by razsolo - 05/01/24 05:21 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:53 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:45 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:44 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:44 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:42 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 04/30/24 06:24 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Personalities of Legionnaires
#56952 08/30/08 05:28 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Jan was very close to his parents and I'm sure it took nearly constant prayer and meditation to get through that grief. They must have taught him that.

#56953 08/30/08 05:41 PM
strange but not a stranger
Originally posted by MLLASH:
[b]ELEMENT LAD

This sole survivor of the decimation of Trom can thank his spiritual upbringing for saving him from a case of survivor's guilt that would destroy anyone else. Incredibly sweet by nature, Jan does his best to please his friends and often finds himself voted into leadership or deputy leadership positions because of this. A bond formed with Saturn Girl early on continues today, and Jan frequently shares his innermost thoughts with Imra, as she does with him. His sweetness is sometimes mistakenly perceived as weakness by enemies, a mistake they soon regret. Adept with his tranmutation ability, Element Lad's addition to the LSH elevated them astronomically powers-wise. With age, Jan's spirituality evolved into a general "live and let live" easygoing-ness that tends to make others happy. His "surfer-boy" looks have made him a favorite of teenaged girls and more sensitive sentients UP-wide. [/b]
I would also add that Jan does have an ambitious streak and can be frustrated. It is not usually seen, but can pop out. For example, running for leader after being deputy for so many times. He also became frustrated with being Dream Girl's deputy and quit in a huff.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#56954 08/30/08 05:43 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
LIGHT LASS

Because she was twin sister of founder Lightning Lad, Ayla found herself with LSH "status" instantly. Growing up with 2 brothers made her used to fighting, and when the Taltarian Matriarch Thora temporarily seized control of the female Legionnaires, Ayla was the first to use her powers in anger on her male teammates. Joining the LSH was her first real chance to be around females her own age as Winath-born twins tend to 'hang out' primarily with their own twin. Ayla bcame quick friends with Violet and Triad. Upon his revival, Garth of course added Ayla to the ranks of Legionnaires that he was fiercely overprotective of. Though Ayla publicly acted mortified by this, she maintains a close relationship with her twin.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#56955 09/04/08 07:59 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Wow! You guys are great, I wish I could express how helpful these entries are for me. I should send care packages to you folks.

Assumming (hoping) people are not tired of this thread concept, how would you feel about a yin to the yang? I would love to do super-villains as well. I know this is a lot ask but I am "hoping" posters are enjoying the discussion and getting something out of this as well.

I have lived for the Legion and one day I shall die for the Legion.
#56956 09/04/08 08:02 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
I'm enjoying this thread, and I'd say that it could be helpful to include notes about the Legionnaire's families and homewrolds.

For example, Nura. Naltor is a matriarchal society, so that would certainly influence Nura's perspective on men. We don't know anything about her father. Also, her mother was the High Seer, so Nura was raised almost like royalty. She felt very protective of her "handicapped" little sister. Later, Nura became an orphan. I think all of those factors would contribute to her ways.
Yes Sketch Lad, that would be totally awesome. Getting background/hobbies/family/friend/relations and even those the Legionnaires tend to dislike would be huge boons to the thread. Please continue!

#56957 09/04/08 10:37 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Phantom Girl:
I would love to do super-villains as well. I know this is a lot ask but I am "hoping" posters are enjoying the discussion and getting something out of this as well.
I'm pretty sure that most of us love few things more than a chance to natter on about all things Legion, so I, for one, consider this no hardship at all! smile

The villains can be tricky, because their characterizations change so much more. The Empress is usually pretty consistent, being all imperious and a bit one-note, but Mekt's personality goes all over the place (as does Mordru's), and other villains, like Mano, barely seem to have a personality at all.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#56958 09/04/08 11:04 AM
UNIVERSO

Universo wants power and control. His power/method is to use hypnotism to gain control and power over others. He has a minor motivation of revenge in that he wants revenge for being kicked out of the Green Lantern Corp. This revenge would be the side product of achieving his main goal of total control. He has been betrayed by his son, Rond Vidar, several times. However, he does not seem to be bothered by that nor feel any personal animosity towards Rond. Universo feels superior to pretty much everybody. While he may see a few as being his intellectual equal, he would not admit it.

#56959 09/05/08 07:07 AM
DR. REGULUS

The prime motive of Dr. Zaxton Regulus is revenge. He blamed Dirk Morgna for a ruined experiment and locks him in a radiation chamber. The fact tha Dirk became Sun Boy and joined the Legion is the reason Dr. Regulus has clashed with the Legion. He has fixated on Sun Boy to the point of duplicating his power. However, if it had not been Sun Boy, someone else would have become the "cause" of Dr. Regulus' failures and the focus of his enmity.

Dr. Regulus is very intelligent and tries to project a sense of superiority. But it is easy to see that he has low self-esteem. He believes others are laughing at him and may actually be better than him. He sees only his failures and none of his sucesses.

#56960 09/05/08 10:37 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
One of my favorite Legion stories was the "Plunder Ploy of the Fatal Five."

Tharok was shown to be creating a new robot half, which had a more human appearance. Obviously, he was emotionally traumatized by half of his body being replaced by pretty ugly robot parts.

This was the story where Validus was shown to be just a big child, not a total monster. Ironically, Lightning Lad was one of the Legionnaires charged with entertaining him.

The Persuader enjoyed sports fishing.

Mano just wanted to be able to go around in an environment like his home, without his bubble helmet on. I'm sure he'd never admit it, but I bet he has remorse for destroying that homeworld.

The Empress comes across as simply decadent. She wants to be waited on and pampered. She likes handsome men, namely Superboy. Later, in the Giffen years, she is shown to be interested in immortality.

#56961 09/05/08 11:29 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Quick notes....

Dirk. He was was shown to have a sculpture collection. Also, he's known as one of the Legion's best spacecraft pilots - that's what lead to his space fatigue. Wasn't he one of the Dungeons & Dragons hologram game players, too?

#56962 09/06/08 08:36 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Dirk. Wasn't he one of the Dungeons & Dragons hologram game players, too?
Yup, he and Star Boy played.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#56963 09/06/08 08:43 AM
Quick notes....

Dirk. He was was shown to have a sculpture collection. Also, he's known as one of the Legion's best spacecraft pilots - that's what lead to his space fatigue. Wasn't he one of the Dungeons & Dragons hologram game players, too?
The space fatigue came on because he was leading the mission. I am not sure he was considered the best spacecraft pilots though. He ended up piloting the ship because he put everyone else in the brig.

Now in the story that introduced Dawnstar, it was stated that Lightning Lad was considered the Legion's best navigator.

#56964 09/06/08 08:50 AM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
UNIVERSO

Universo wants power and control. His power/method is to use hypnotism to gain control and power over others. He has a minor motivation of revenge in that he wants revenge for being kicked out of the Green Lantern Corp. This revenge would be the side product of achieving his main goal of total control. He has been betrayed by his son, Rond Vidar, several times. However, he does not seem to be bothered by that nor feel any personal animosity towards Rond. Universo feels superior to pretty much everybody. While he may see a few as being his intellectual equal, he would not admit it.
Was Universo's wife ever shown? (Or if not wife, the mother of Rond Vidar?)

#56965 09/06/08 09:03 AM
I don't know. She might have been in the story about him being a disgraced Green Lantern. Idon't remember reading that particular story (even though I know about it)

#56966 09/08/08 10:36 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Does anyone have a good personality and family assessment of Ferro Lad they would like to offer? I saw him as sort of a daredevil type but I'd like to get a better look at the teen behind the mask....

#56967 09/08/08 10:55 AM
FERRO LAD

The Adventure era Ferro Lad was definitely someone who had great self-assurance. I don't know if we have enough to say he was a daredevil. He had no real sense of self-pity over his disfigured face. I think he felt a mutual loss when others threw up a wall because of his face. His sacrifice was not a death wish nor a need to be the hero. He simply felt that he had the best chance of survival against the Sun Eater and the job needed to be done.

The Reboot Ferro Lad was much more shy and self-conscious. He also had a "puppy dog wanting to please" attitude.

Regarding his family. In the Adventure era, his brother Douglas felt a sense of loyalty and pride in his brother.

In the reboot, I don't remember much about Douglas. I think Douglas was the more self-assured of the two. Their mother and father in the reboot felt shame over their facial disfigurement and rejected the boys.

#56968 09/08/08 11:37 AM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Quislet, my understanding is that Ferro Lad's disfigurement was the result of a mutation. Do we have any information on what kind of mutation? What caused it? Accidental exposure to something another? Someone experimented on Andrew and Douglas? Something else else else?

I got the daredevil feel because in the first Adventure Comics or two where he appeared, he dived off the flying platform, kind of a all or nothing sort of approach,, time to earn his place in the Legion. At least that's why I went with that idea. So little was written with him in the Adventure era. Superboy starring the Legion of Super-Heroes issue #206 (The Legionnaires Who Haunted Superboy) (one of my favorites and second issue ever), gave me the feeling of confidence without arrogance. Seemed like the type of guy you would want for a friend. When he died battling the sun eater, I also saw it as a "Do what you have to do to get the job done" as opposed to "trying" to be the hero.

Also, do we know if Ferro Lad had any particular skills/special knowledge or hobbies/interests? I'm currently doing his character sheet for my game and am at a loss of information on one of my favorite Legionnaires. I confess....it was the costume that drew me as well as the awesome way Mike Grell drew him in in issue #206.

#56969 09/08/08 12:23 PM
PG, as far as I recall the disfigurement/mutation was something Andrew & Douyglas were born with. That's it. Nothing about if some outside force affected them while in utero. (Unlike Star Boy, who's grayity powers were said to come because his parents were affected while doing astronomic experiments/study in space.)

I agree with you about the confidence without arrogance. I can't distinctly remember his debut, so I trust your daredevil assessment.

#56970 09/08/08 01:27 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Ferro, in the Reboot, anyway, was also about as bright as a bag of hammers.

Phantom Girl: He was also a pretty decent tailor; he liked designing costumes for the other Legionnaires.

#56971 09/08/08 03:42 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by Matthew E:
Ferro, in the Reboot, anyway, was also about as bright as a bag of hammers.

[b]Phantom Girl
: He was also a pretty decent tailor; he liked designing costumes for the other Legionnaires. [/b]
Interesting. Can you give me any particular examples? So he wasn't very bright and he liked to tailor...that seems so UnLegionnaire like....

#56972 09/08/08 03:53 PM
He did do the tailoring thing.

I think the "not bright" was more about his shyness and lack of self-esteem. Also if I remember correctly, Reboot Ferro had also been kept apart from others for a period of time and so had a little lack of knowing how to socialize. So he would keep his mouth shut when he probably should have spoken up.

#56973 09/08/08 04:44 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
He did do the tailoring thing.

I think the "not bright" was more about his shyness and lack of self-esteem. Also if I remember correctly, Reboot Ferro had also been kept apart from others for a period of time and so had a little lack of knowing how to socialize. So he would keep his mouth shut when he probably should have spoken up.
Its easy to picture the lack of socialization skills and being seperated from others when he was younger, the tailoring thing will require me to change my pre-boot image a bit. Its just that he looks so cool. Guess I'll add "Tailoring" to my list of hobbies and talents for the game.

#56974 09/08/08 04:48 PM
It was when the Legionnaires were trapped in the 20th century. Reboot Ferro Lad designed made them new costumes. (He could have been on Project Runway) There was a scene about Inferno feeling awkward accepting the new costume. Which reminds me. Reboot Ferro Lad (and his brother) were born in the present day and traveled with the Legion to the future.

Adventure era (pre-boot) Ferro Lad was not shown to have any tailoring hobby or skill.

#56975 09/08/08 09:55 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
An interesting take on Ferro Lad appeared in LSH v. 4 # 5. This is the TMK issue set in the "Mordruverse," in which Mordru has temporarily taken over all of reality.

Andrew Nolan (he's never called Ferro Lad since the Legion didn't exist in this reality) is shown as an adult and co-conspirator with Rond Vidar and Mysa against Mordru. Andrew is still disfigured--he wears a cloth or leather version of his Ferro Lad mask--but mentions that he has a wife and family. He is also a reluctant hero who distrusts Rond Vidar's magic but is allied with him because he sees no other alternative. He also appears to be devoutly Catholic.

He is not portrayed as a daredevil; rather, he does what needs to be done (as he did by sacrificing himself in ADV. 353). He rushes to Mysa's defense even though doing so places himself and his family in jeopardy.

Although this is an alternate reality version of Ferro Lad, some of it might apply to the "real" one. At least none of it contradicts what we do know of Ferro Lad.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#56976 09/09/08 08:42 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Great conversation, PG. This month's issue of Wizard magazine has personality profiles by Geoff Johns of the main Legionnaires and villains (including Universo) of LO3W. I'll copy them if you think they'd help you, but they're not as true or insightful as what our fellow posters are offering up here.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,039
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden