Roll Call
0 members (), 34 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:05 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:04 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:02 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Fantastic Four: The Movie
#573981 07/08/04 09:35 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Hope this hasn't already been posted here...
=================================================
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Chris Evans ("The Perfect Score") and Ioan Gruffudd (news) ("King Arthur") are feeling fantastic.

The duo will star in 20th Century Fox's adaptation of the Marvel comic "Fantastic Four" for "Barbershop" director Tim Story. Evans and Gruffudd are the latest additions confirmed to be suiting up for the potential franchise following the first announced cast member, Michael Chiklis.

"Fantastic Four" follows the adventure-seeking quartet of scientist Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic; his love interest, Susan Storm/the Invisible Girl; her brother, Johnny/the Human Torch; and Reed's best friend, Benjamin Grimm/the Thing. The four develop superpowers when the spaceship they're on is exposed to cosmic radiation.

Evans will play Johnny, who can burst his body into flames, with Gruffudd as genius Richards, who develops the ability to stretch his body. Chiklis is set for Grimm, whose flesh turns into rock. That leaves the Invisible Girl as the remaining slot on the cast. Sources indicated that the filmmakers have zeroed in on several actresses for that part, including Jessica Alba (news) ("Honey") and Rachel McAdams ("The Notebook").

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
Re: Fantastic Four: The Movie
#573982 07/08/04 09:37 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Chris Evans (photo from 'Not Another Teen Movie'):

[Linked Image]

#573983 07/08/04 09:43 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Ioan Gruffudd

[Linked Image]

#573984 07/08/04 09:49 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Michael Chiklis (pic from The Shield):

[Linked Image]

1 out of 3 so far (IMO). And they still have yet to cast Sue. The casting decisions were supposed to have been made and announced last week. To me, this movie already seems to be getting started off on the wrong foot. Add the director and its a disaster waiting to happen. Marvel's version of Catwoman.

I guess they can't all be X-Men or Spider-Man movies.

#573985 07/08/04 10:02 AM
The Present is Past
The Present is Past
I'm still excited for this movie...even though I've had the same uneasy feeling it's heading for trouble the past year as it's been rewritten and pushed back numerous times. Seeing that they've finally begun casting and have kept the 2005 date is starting to alleviate some worry.

I don't know about the choices, though I am so far pleased. They all have the 'look' of the characters, so I'm sure once they're in full costume or make-up the characters will really come alive. The more I look at the three above pictures, the more I can really see Ben, Johnny, and Reed. That's probably the intent of them being cast...but the real challenge will be seeing if they can pull off the personalities and really 'feel' like I'm watching a family when they work together.

#573986 07/08/04 10:08 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
There are two other casting rumors that you may not have heard about, one of which seems excellent (although I'm not sure if there is any truth to it):

First, Dr. Doom may be played by the guy who plays Lucius Malfoy. If this is the case, he will make the movie, since he plays a better bad guy IMO than any other actor right now. However, this is only rumor, and will most likelly not happen.

The other name going around for Sue is Eliza Cuthbert, the girl from "Girl Next Door" and "24"". I like her, and think that not only is she a mega-hottie, but she can also act. I wouldn't mind having her as Sue, although she may look too young.

Scott, which one out of the three do you like?

Personnally, I think the guy playing Reed is a great actor, and I'll really get an opinion on him when I see King Arthur this summer, a movie I'm really looking forward to (circa the fall of the Roman Empire, my favorite period in history). I bet he could pull off Reed very well, although he's relatively unknown among Americans.

The guy playing Ben Grimm might be able to do a good job too, although I've never watched the Shield. The kid playing Johnny has only been in movies (that I know of) where he plays a goofball/drunk high-school kid, so playing the hotheaded FFer might not be too much of a stretch for him. I'd be willing to give both of them a shot, especially the kid playing Johnny since he's never had a decent enough role to show he can act.

No one seems horribly cast yet--although some seem a bit off a la Michael Keaton as Batman, who I thought was the best actor to ever assume the Bat-mantle.

#573987 07/08/04 10:33 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Michael Chiklis, who'll be playing Ben, is the only one I have any confidence in. The other two, eh. I've not cared for any of their film appearances, that I've seen, yet.

Chiklis, I believe, can pull of the look and personality of Ben. His height may be the only drawback as I believe he is well under 6 foot tall.

And as for Sue, from what I've read today, you can cross Eliza off the list. The latest is Jessica Alba (yes, Dark Angel) is up for the roll. According to www.aint-it-cool-news.com:

Still uncast is the role of Sue Richards, although supposedly, Jessica Alba ("Dark Angel," 'Honey') is the lead contender. The other two frontrunners for the part are Keri Russel ("Felicity") and Rachel McAdams ('Mean Girls' and 'The Notebook'), who I believe Beaks interviewed recently and hinted at being up for the part.

#573988 07/08/04 10:37 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Mike Chicklets? Maybe if they're all orange... laugh

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#573989 07/08/04 10:43 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I love the choice of Ioan. He was great as Horation Hornblower in the A&E movies. It's going to be hard to accept him in a comic book movie, but he should be able to pull off "brainy" with relative ease.

I'm not much of a FF fan in the first place, but I've got to admit that the casting choices make this an intriguing movie. At least it looks like it has more potential than Catwoman at this point.

Something Filthy!
#573990 07/08/04 12:02 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
For me, it doesn't matter much if the actor doesn't 'look' the part, since I know that make-up and stuff can easily make Michael Keaton the best Batman/Bruce Wayne. In other words, stuff like a black Catwoman, tall Wolverine and curly haired Reed Richards don't bother me at all.

What bothers me is if they cast someone that just can't act--like Arnold the Governator as Mr. Freeze. I'd much rather have a cast of actors (like in the upcoming Batman movie) than a cast of people who look the part.

I don't know much about Chiklis other than he was once the Commish and totally changed his look, but I'm glad you have faith in him Scott, since IMO the role of the Thing should be the most important to the movie.

I know the guy playing Reed can act, so I'm satisfied, although I have reservations about the kid playing the Torch.

Jessica Alba as Sue might work for me, since I really can't thing of an actress who fits the part perfectly. Does anyone have an actress in mind who would?

#573991 07/08/04 12:15 PM
Deputy
Deputy
The first name that came to my mind for the part of Sue was.... Kristy Swanson. Nicole Kidman would make a great Sue too.

Something Filthy!
#573992 07/08/04 12:48 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Britney Spears may be looking for a new movie role...

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#573993 07/08/04 12:49 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Cobie, Chiklis is a real bad@$$ on FX's "The Shield". From what I've caught of that show, he's got the goods to pull of a good, gritty Ben.

Maybe "The Thing" will be CGI a la the Hulk, so his physical attributes wouldn't matter, Scott?

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#573994 07/08/04 12:51 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Off-topic, but I kinda want to see Sharon Stone as teh White Queen in an eventual X-movie... smile

#573995 07/08/04 01:18 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Pov:
Off-topic, but I kinda want to see Sharon Stone as teh White Queen in an eventual X-movie... smile
If you're casting the White Queen as an over-the-hill washed up has-been hag, then yeah sure...

#573996 07/08/04 01:19 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Pov:
Cobie, Chiklis is a real bad@$$ on FX's "The Shield". From what I've caught of that show, he's got the goods to pull of a good, gritty Ben.

He also has range, given he also put in a good showing as Curley in the 3 Stooges TV movie

#573997 07/08/04 01:20 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:

Chiklis, I believe, can pull of the look and personality of Ben. His height may be the only drawback as I believe he is well under 6 foot tall.
[/QUOTE]

I figure that, if they can make Rhyes-Davis three feet tall, they can make Chiklis seven.

#573998 07/08/04 01:22 PM
Leader
Leader
Of course, my biggest trpidation is the director.

That and the fact that they appear to want to use the Ultimate FF version of the team as the basis for the movie. Not a good call, IMHO.

#573999 07/08/04 10:29 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Obadiah Oldbuck:
I figure that, if they can make Rhyes-Davis three feet tall, they can make Chiklis seven.
I gotta believe they're gonna CG the crap outa him to make him The Thing a la Gollum. Chiklis being the basis for the creation so he'll be able to contribute a real performance, but I can't imagine them using any kind of makeup or prosthetics to make a believable (or impressive) Thing.

#574000 07/09/04 01:58 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
For me, it doesn't matter much if the actor doesn't 'look' the part, since I know that make-up and stuff can easily make Michael Keaton the best Batman/Bruce Wayne. In other words, stuff like a black Catwoman, tall Wolverine and curly haired Reed Richards don't bother me at all.

What bothers me is if they cast someone that just can't act--like Arnold the Governator as Mr. Freeze. I'd much rather have a cast of actors (like in the upcoming Batman movie) than a cast of people who look the part.

I don't know much about Chiklis other than he was once the Commish and totally changed his look, but I'm glad you have faith in him Scott, since IMO the role of the Thing should be the most important to the movie.

I know the guy playing Reed can act, so I'm satisfied, although I have reservations about the kid playing the Torch.

Jessica Alba as Sue might work for me, since I really can't thing of an actress who fits the part perfectly. Does anyone have an actress in mind who would?
Funny, at the Dazzler thread, I said how I would prefer to see actors who look right in the part over those who don't. I think I should elaborate.... I really do think that actors who look the part should be the first choice, but I do wish that the dialogue was good and that the acting is well done. I guess I want the best of both. As a reference point, I think the X-Men movies are the best cast superhero movies, ever.

#574001 07/09/04 09:18 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I agree about the X-Men casting -- they've got a pretty good batting average, though I wish the actors they got for Jean and Scott had more chemistry -- I don't see it.

Whether or not the actor has the facial characteristics isn't so important to me as long as their physicality still conveys what is necessary for the character (and though he was good, I still don't think Keaton had the physicality of Batman, the supposed peak of human conditioning). For instance if they make "Iron Man" I don't care if they give Tony Stark a mustache - it's more important to me that he look like a man I could buy as a scientific genius. Still, how hard would it have been for Val Kilmer and Jennifer Garner to have their hair blackened?

#574002 07/14/04 07:41 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Dark Angel will be Sue! From www.hollywoodreporter.com:

<font size="3">Invisible Girl: Alba makes it 'Fantastic Four'</font s>

Jessica Alba has been cast as the Invisible Girl for 20th Century Fox's upcoming Marvel Comics adaptation "Fantastic Four." Alba, whose features include "Sin City" and "Out of the Blue," beat out stiff competition for the role that included Rachel McAdams and Elizabeth Banks. She joins Michael Chiklis, Chris Evans and Ioan Gruffudd as the adventure-seeking quartet made up of scientist Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic (Gruffudd); his love interest, Susan Storm/the Invisible Girl (Alba); her brother, Johnny Storm/the Human Torch (Chris Evans); and Reed's best friend, Benjamin Grimm/the Thing (Chiklis). The four develop superpowers when their spaceship is exposed to cosmic radiation. Tim Story is set to direct. Producers include Avi Arad's Marvel Studios, 1492 Pictures, Constantin Films and Ralph Winter. At Fox, TCF senior vp Alex Young is overseeing for division head Hutch Parker. Simon Kinberg is writing the script. Alba is repped by Endeavor.

#574003 07/14/04 07:52 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I'm not sure how to respond to this as I have never seen Jessica Alba with blond hair. I know they're going to have Sue Richards with blond hair, right?

There's just something hinky about this, like Famke playing Jean Grey, she just didn't seem right for the part, but she brought a "name" to the cast.

This ain't like the Kingpin role in Daredevil either, where they couldn't find a white guy with the stature needed and the acting ability, so they went with Michael Duncan. I can accept that. I know they could have found a blonde actress with the range to play Sue. It's just hinky. Maybe she's just not "pasty" enough.

Something Filthy!
#574004 07/14/04 08:01 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by minesurfer:
I'm not sure how to respond to this as I have never seen Jessica Alba with blond hair.
Check out "Never Been Kissed" if you really wanna know.

#574005 07/15/04 06:49 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Okay, this is part of the article from www.aint-it-cool-news.com that also had the reveal about Alba being Sue.

The spies at Ain't It Cool News hear that the role of Doctor Victor von Doom will be handled by Ray Liotta. They have some concerns, though based on "the draft I read, which has continued to be worked on, is that ... by losing the Foreign Head of State nature of Dr. Doom ... you lose a degree of majesty, the exotic feeling of the character, and the worse case scenario of a petty dictator with weapons of mass obliteration and the personal power of a God. Instead, he's been reduced to a jilted vain lover with a lot of money and a freak. Having said that ... I'm sure Liotta, if indeed he has signed as I've heard, is more than capable to raise the material above where it is now."
Now I like Ray Liotta. Heck, I like most wise-guy actors, just my genre I guess. But as Doc Doom? I don't see it.

#574006 07/15/04 06:56 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Considering Doom will (presumably) be in an iron mask most of the movie, his voice will be more relevant, and I don't "hear" Liotta as Doom (and shouldn't he be a contemporary of Reed's? He and Gruffudd (which believe it or not is pronounced "Griffith") are not quite the same age now are they?

And I'm not crazy about Alba - she seems kinda lightweight to me and maybe too cutesy, but this is more the "Invisible Girl" than the "Invisible Woman" I guess. It makes me think it's going to be a pretty physical role (and I wonder how they're going to "show" her invisibility).

#574007 07/15/04 07:24 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I liked Liotta as an actor, but he's hard for me to take look at after what he had to do in the movie Hannibal. I know, I know... its only a movie, but still.... ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

I still think Alba is a bad decision, she'd be better suited to be Crystal or Medusa than Sue. As long as Liotta's face is covered and James Earl Jones does the voice of von Doom, I'll be happy. smile

Something Filthy!
#574008 07/15/04 10:43 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Speaking of, has Lucas ever mentioned Doom as an influence for Vader? I mean, "Von Doom"/"Darth Vader", the damaged face, the mask, the flowing cape, royal demeanor, a horde of identical troopers, that dangerous old-world myticism cloaked in modern science...?

#574009 07/15/04 11:41 AM
Deputy
Deputy
It almost seems obvious doesn't it? I haven't heard one way or the other on how Lucas came up with Vader. The Empire always seemed to be more of Nazis in space than anything else.

Something Filthy!
#574010 07/15/04 03:45 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The big question is still whether Johnny Storm will fully flame on. A while ago they were talking about only having his hands flame on. (They cited the cost of having full body flame - please, give me a break - how much money is this movie going to make anyway?) That would keep me away from the movie. Johnny has to be a total flamer (sorry, couldn't resist) and be able to fly.

#574011 07/15/04 03:57 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Alba is Sue? No sir, I don't like it.

"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."
#574012 07/15/04 11:49 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
The big question is still whether Johnny Storm will fully flame on. A while ago they were talking about only having his hands flame on.
Seriously? Geez, might as well replace him with a cute little robot or something...

#574013 07/20/04 12:29 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:
Original]
Seriously? Geez, might as well replace him with a cute little robot or something...
"yo Drake",Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ya gonna roooooooooon it! don't give them any ideas!

Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/
#574014 08/03/04 10:31 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
And we have our Doctor. Julian McMahon, late of Nip/Tuck and formerly of Charmed has been tapped to play Dr. Doom, according to Variety.

[Linked Image]

#574015 08/03/04 11:16 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
It's a little disconcerting that there are so many "tv" people in on this thing. But then I have low expectations for this one anyhow. Just a feeling.

#574016 08/03/04 11:32 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally posted by matlock:
It's a little disconcerting that there are so many "tv" people in on this thing. But then I have low expectations for this one anyhow. Just a feeling.
Well, don't forget that Julian was also a costar in that Christopher Atkins hit, Wet & Wild Summer... Newcru

#574017 08/03/04 11:51 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Was he the Blue Lagoon guy? That is a hell of a resume for Doctor Doom.

#574018 08/03/04 12:55 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Hmmm... I wonder if this means we'll see Dr Doom's ass...?

#574019 08/05/04 10:27 PM
Leader
Leader
I'm optimistic about Jessica Alba playing Sue. Dark Angel was one of my favorite shows.

ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!
#574020 06/06/05 02:05 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The previews for this have been making the rounds on TV... I think it looks awesome!

Looking forward to it!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#574021 06/06/05 03:51 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Same here! Love Julian McMahon, Michael Chiklis and Jessica Alba!

Here's hoping they make Jack proud!

#574022 06/06/05 08:05 PM
Active
Active
Been seeing the ads as well...this looks like it really is going to rock. (no pun for the Thing)

Looking for Earth Prime.
#574023 06/07/05 05:05 PM
Leader
Leader
The commercials have definately got me way excited about this. Chris Evans seems like he's going to be a great Johnny Storm.

ActorLad

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!
#574024 06/07/05 07:01 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The Torch is hot. I want his body.

love

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#574025 06/08/05 05:37 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Seen the ads for this (and sin city as well now)

Who is this Jessica Alba? All I can say (and in a whisper in case GiGi sees this laugh ) is WOW. She looks sexy. I think the FF might be a pleasant surprise as it looks as if they have tried to get the look and characteristics right. And if its not I'll just look at her and inwardly drool

Faithfull
#574026 06/08/05 05:07 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Jessica Alba starred in the TV series Dark Angel and was last in the Sin City movie. And WOW is right.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#574027 06/10/05 12:31 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Thanks miner, I thought that was her in Sin city as well.

Never saw Dark Angel for some reason was it any good? But I do remember the lead female from adverts and I thought she had dark hair??

Faithfull
#574028 06/10/05 01:00 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
She does. It's a wig.

#574029 06/10/05 01:51 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
What's a wig? I heard Jessica went blonde for the role, not a wig. Just like in Sin City.

#574030 06/27/05 08:41 PM
Leader
Leader
Apparently Burger King just started a Fantastic Four toy promotion in their Kid's Meals today. I haven't been able to find any good pics of it online though. I think it's just 5 figures Dr Doom, Reed, Sue, Johhny & Ben but the BK website isn't working for me so I can't check.

Oh if anyone could help me get my hands on a set I'd be grateful since there aren't any Burger King's here.

ActorLad

#574031 06/27/05 09:01 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Here are the toys AL:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#574032 06/27/05 09:42 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Does borderline camp come to mind?

#574033 06/28/05 11:42 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I remember my "Stretch Armstrong" doll as a kid (well, he was actually my brother's. I had the much cooler villain who kinda looked like The Abomination, but I don't remember his name). They should make a stretchy Mr. F doll -- we have the technology (and when you get tired of it you can cut him open and watch the goo run out!).

#574034 06/28/05 11:54 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
I think they did, Drake... I'm pretty sure they're on shelves already. 12-13" tall or so.

And that Stretch Armstrong villain... Green, and I thought he looked more like that lizardguy from some STAR TREK episode where he and Kirk had to fight to the death...? And this toy had a red light in his chest, right? I HAD THAT ONE! laugh

#574035 06/28/05 12:04 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
[Linked Image]
This is Stretch Monster. The red light might've been "Stretch X-Ray"?

#574036 07/01/05 03:45 AM
L
Wanderer
Wanderer
L
Originally posted by Faraway Lad:
Thanks miner, I thought that was her in Sin city as well.

Never saw Dark Angel for some reason was it any good? But I do remember the lead female from adverts and I thought she had dark hair??
Faraway, Dark Angel had the best series premiere of any science fiction show I have ever seen. The 2-hour premiere held such promise! Unfortunately, the episodes after that (in season 1) quickly descended to mediocrity, while season 2 was just plain bad. Definitely check out the first ep if you get the chance, though.

#574037 07/01/05 06:12 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I think you guys should know that every morning when I wake up, I look at my wall and see the greatest poster ever: Jessica Alba in her Sin City get-up on stage laugh . It gives me hope for a good day wink

#574038 07/01/05 11:34 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I think you guys should know that every morning when I wake up, I look at my wall and see the greatest poster ever: Jessica Alba in her Sin City get-up on stage laugh . It gives me hope for a good day wink
Well that's the first time I've ever heard it called "hope". Will we now be saying, "Is that "hope" in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" laugh

#574039 07/02/05 12:54 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
It really gets the blood flowing, although some would say in the wrong places wink

#574040 07/03/05 11:20 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
ATTN: Chris "Human Torch" Evans fans!

Buy the current issue of PEOPLE magazine (dated July 4th) and turn AT ONCE to page 78. Oh. My. GAWD. He's hotter than Davd Beckham and Colin Farell (also featured practically naked!) put together!

Oh, and there's a picture of Jessica Alba in a bikini, too.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#574041 07/03/05 05:17 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by legionadventureman:
Does borderline camp come to mind?
Only if you take out the word "borderline".

#574042 07/03/05 11:22 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Feels like I'm going to lose my mind!

#574043 07/04/05 03:13 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by MLLASH:

Buy the current issue of PEOPLE magazine (dated July 4th) and turn AT ONCE to page 78. Oh. My. GAWD. He's hotter than Davd Beckham and Colin Farell (also featured practically naked!) put together!

Sweet Moses! PEOPLE magazine here I come!

(That's a set-up line too btw wink )

#574044 07/04/05 03:36 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!

someone needs to post the pics !! as we don't get "People" in the UK frown ......

Matthew.

#574045 07/06/05 08:38 AM
strange but not a stranger
I am getting a feeling from all the pre-publicity that the movie is not going to be good. It seems like the movie promotion is everywhere.

I hope I am wrong

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#574046 07/06/05 02:17 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It is certainly everywhere now. MTV's even doing specials with the cast.

#574047 07/08/05 12:25 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
There's some lousy review blurbs over at rottentomatoes, but that doesn't mean anything, I guess. I don't listen too much to reviews anyways. I've hated plenty of critically acclaimed films, and loved plenty of "crappy" films smile

#574048 07/08/05 03:13 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Saw the movie this morning! Loved it! Great fun!

I haven't read any of this thread yet, but I will now. I'll comment again then.

#574049 07/09/05 01:22 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I enjoyed the movie too.

It was a lot of fun.

#574050 07/09/05 01:29 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Still not that anxious to see this one. I'd much rather go see Batman Begins again. But I will eventually go, probably when I can kick back with some food and a beer at Brewvies.

I have seen a number of reviews that say Michael Chiklis and Chris Evans were actually the best actors in the movie. That their characters were dead on.

#574051 07/09/05 02:18 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The reviewers on this one are full of crap.

This is a fun movie. I just got back from seeing it, and I thought it was better than the first X-men movie, frankly.

#574052 07/09/05 02:25 PM
Active
Active
SPOILERS CONTAINED BELOW

well, I saw it yesterday. and overall I give 2 out of 4.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

the good: special effects were nice, some funny bits, the Thing and Human Torch were acted like you would expect. lots of room for improvement.

the bad: Doctor Doom did not have a good motivation, or plan for that matter. the stuff with Alcia seemed rushed(should have waited for the sequel). too much of Johnny doing "extreme sports". why oh why didn't they just use the Ulimate origin for the movie? instead they mixed the two and got the worst of both.

#574053 07/09/05 02:27 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
it was campy. i thought it was bad. i can go for campy too but, this was

bad.

#574054 07/09/05 02:48 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Disaster Boy:
it was campy. i thought it was bad. i can go for campy too but, this was

bad.
yeah, well I must admit it got one rating point for simply making it to the screen.

but hey, at least the got the marketing right! for example: (1) my SBC phone bill had the Fantastic Four logo on it, (2) the video game is out, (3) a Walgreens next to the multiplex was selling ToyBiz FF toys. I have never seen those in Walgreens before. (4) with a purchase of every Buger King kids meal you get a toy.

you know it reminds me of the Sprite commercial a few years ago about the slug movie. so true, sadly so true.

#574055 07/09/05 03:13 PM
Deputy
Deputy
you know i haven't seen it yet but a few of my friends that aren't comic book fans went to see it today and they loved it. so if you can get people that aren't even into the genre, (and yes jessica alba was the only reason they went to see it in the first place) then i think that the job was done now we'll wait and see how well it does when the box office reciets are tallied on monday and find out just how much of a hit or miss the FF movie is.

Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/
#574056 07/09/05 03:21 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
20 million on Friday's a pretty good sign!

#574057 07/09/05 04:11 PM
Leader
Leader
I liked it. I'd rank it probably third (behind X-Men and Spiderman) in the modern Marvel movies/franchise list...

#574058 07/09/05 07:28 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
i would too MEL but...i hated the others.

i did like how they tied doom's origin to the ff's because he is their main villain. and made sue and johnny a more resonable addition to the space flight.

#574059 07/09/05 09:47 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
This is a fun movie. I just got back from seeing it, and I thought it was better than the first X-men movie, frankly.
I guess our milage must vary. I was not at all impressed with Fantastic Four. In fact, I'd rate it below Daredevil.

#574060 07/09/05 11:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
You think you know your FF trivia ?

I got a 93% but that last one is tricky.

#574061 07/10/05 12:53 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
100%, yay me!

#574062 07/10/05 01:01 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I tried twice and each time the last answer changed.

#574063 07/10/05 01:48 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Doom's my boy.

#574064 07/10/05 06:55 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
I guess our milage must vary.
Whatever that means. confused

#574065 07/10/05 07:35 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Wahoo!

I got 100%!

Now if I could just win a date with the Jessica
Albia Sue Storm I'd die a happy fan ... laugh

#574066 07/10/05 02:52 PM
Active
Active
The movie was excellent! Damn near Spider-Man caliber, in my opinion, and MILES ahead of Daredevil or Elektra.

And if anyone's going to gripe about Doom being different from the comic-book original, I have three pre-emptive words: Ang Lee's "Hulk."

#574067 07/10/05 04:45 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I saw it this morning and my only complaint is that it wasn't longer. I would liked to have seen more use of the super=powers, but all in all, it was a good comic book movie - certainly much better than Daredevil, Elecktra and can we ever forget - Man Thing.

However, to get to the movie, I had to sit through 30 minutes of ads and previews (mostly ads). Is it that bad in your theaters?

#574068 07/10/05 04:57 PM
Leader
Leader
On the downside, I only scored 93%.

On the upside, only 7% of the 25,192 respondants have done that well.

#574069 07/10/05 10:46 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Every commercial I see for this movie makes me want to see it more.

Dis... you hated X-MEN and SPIDER-MAN? frown Ummm... what movies do you like?

#574070 07/11/05 12:53 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hey, Mikey, Johnny Storm goes around naked for like 5-10 minutes in the middle of the picture. You gotta go see this STAT!

#574071 07/11/05 06:14 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Oh. My. Freaking. GAWD!

#574072 07/11/05 08:06 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
93%, missing only that weirdo last question, and I haven't read an FF comic in years.

#574073 07/11/05 08:14 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Every commercial I see for this movie makes me want to see it more.

Dis... you hated X-MEN and SPIDER-MAN? frown Ummm... what movies do you like?
noooooo i meant i would put ff right after the xmen movies(which i love)and the spidey movies which i like very much. i woudl also put the ff before all teh other marvel movies. but i meant i hated daredevil and elektra etc, although i had fun watching capt.america and punisher but i haven't seen the latest punisher.

#574074 07/11/05 08:41 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
OH! Sorry for the confusion! I'm actually relieved!

#574075 07/11/05 11:47 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Oh bollocks! I did the quiz and got 93% right, but that included the last one!
(I got the Ivan Kragoff one wrong, and admittedly I reasoned a few others out when I had no idea.)

And the movie? I found myself enjoying it almost as much as Batman, even though it wasn't as good... Does that make sense? The Human Torch made the movie for me!
And did anyone else find the end fight very short? And realise that Doom pretty much had no plan at all apart from 'gain power'? (Presumably destroying the FF would lead to this power?)

Wayne@OZ
#574076 07/12/05 07:09 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I think Doom's motivation was revenge. He blamed Reed Richards for his troubles - the loss of his company and the loss of Sue. He also made several comments that indicated he felt inferior to Reed in the brains department. I hope in one of the sequels (number 3 or 4) we see Doom in his traditional environment - Latveria.

#574077 07/12/05 05:37 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Star Boy:
And the movie? I found myself enjoying it almost as much as Batman, even though it wasn't as good... Does that make sense?
Sure.

Some films may not be "good" in a critical sense, but they can still be a lot of fun.

#574078 07/18/05 11:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I thought Mr. Fantastic looked good in the role, but now that i saw the Human Torch shirtless, ol' Stretcho's gonna have competition in the hunk department!

#574079 07/19/05 05:48 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
I saw this over the weekend, and enjoyed it. I liked everyone well enough, but wasn't thrilled by Dr Doom's revamp. I guess they didn't think wearing armor was cool enough on it's own. Makes you wonder what they'll do if the Iron Man movie ever gets off the ground.

Personally, I hope we don't see Doom in the next movie. The FF have tons of cool villains. I would much rather see someone else in the next movie... maybe the Frightful Four...?

#574080 07/19/05 08:08 PM
Active
Active
This movie was really, really good. I sure did love the Human Torch. What a hotie...no pun intended. He is cute.

Special effects were good. I even liked Ben. MC did a good job.

Im gonna see it again.

Looking for Earth Prime.
#574081 07/19/05 11:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Did Mister Fantastic doff his duds in the movie too?

#574082 07/23/05 01:32 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Saw the movie. Comments:
-- fun movie. Not great, but enjoyable.
-- I agree that Johnny and Ben were the best things in it. Even Reed had more heat with Ben in their scenes than Sue.
-- Biggest disappointment was Doom as smarmy rich guy.
-- I could almost buy that Sue, as a fellow scientist, would be attracted to Reed (in that one scene where she apparently needs glasses) but the romance fell short.
-- I totally couldn't buy that after all that misery, Ben would suddenly turn down the option of going back to normal even when the machine is proven to work.
-- the bridge scene bothered me for the fact that there was really no reason for Sue to go invisible (and naked) to get past the crowd. Reed and Johnny popped up right behind her anyway.
-- The special effects were fine for me, but there were a couple of scenes where Reed's stretching CGI didn't seem to match the actor, making it look low-budget
-- Pseudo science run amok: So Johnny can go "super nova" against Doom and Sue holds him in? She can contain the power of a sun?

#574083 07/25/05 08:56 PM
Active
Active
So Drake..did ya like it. (kidding)

Your thoughts did make me come to some of those same conclusions. Why did Sue take off her clothes?? First time I saw it it did not click but when I saw it again...it made me think.

Looking for Earth Prime.
#574084 07/25/05 09:18 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Just got a copy for my PSP. Probably sit down and watch it tomorrow unless I decide last week's Battlestar Galactica looks better.

#574085 07/26/05 12:43 AM
Leader
Leader
I caught a mantinee of it on Sunday and I thought it was great! There seemed to be good amount of chemistry between the main cast. I can't wait to get the dvd when it comes out, in fact if possible I'll probably go see it in the theatre at least once more.

ActorLad

#574086 07/26/05 11:28 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Well, I was right. I watched BG instead. At least at first. Sat in the doctor's office so long that I watched the whole episode and 1/2 of FF.

I know I was going into the movie (and I'll finish it in a bit while my brakes are being worked on) with major doubts. Still have them. I just sat through part of Corman's version the other day and, honestly, what's the difference? Bad acting, hokey special effects and no story.

Unless something in the second act redeems it, I'll rank this one lower than Elektra. Not quite as low as Catwoman though.

#574087 07/26/05 11:49 AM
Well, my main critism of the film is that the FF really didn't do anything heroic. They are, directly or indirectly, the cause of all the problems.

#574088 07/26/05 05:18 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
They definitely emphasized the interpersonal dynamics at the expense of a real story. Too bad they couldn't manage to do both.

#574089 07/28/05 11:36 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Took my 3-year-old to see it last Sunday. He was bored, and so was I.

-- plot holes: Why did Sue have to get naked? Where the heck were they after they came back from space? Was it within walking distance of NYC?

-- Doom: I cannot express my disappointment. I realize, ever since Darth Vader appeared on screeen in 1977, it would be harder to pull off the classic Dr. Doom. But this bozo was a joke. I don't mind him having backstory with Reed and Sue -- that's fine. But Doom is royalty. Doom is tyrrany. Doom is classy. This guy was none of those.

-- Music: Does anyone remember anything from the soundtrack?

-- Heroics: None. That's why my boy was bored. The exciting climax was blink-and-you-miss-it.

I echo what others have said -- it felt like a TV movie. Missing some essential qualities of style, intensity, verisimilitude, bigness, that make a movie a movie. This is not easy to do, especially when you have 5 larger-than-life characters to unfold. I heard the director describe the FF as the "rock stars" of Marvel. If so, he should have emulated "Hard Day's Night." No origin, no backstory, just zany ensemble fun.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#574090 07/28/05 10:37 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by doublechinner:
Where the heck were they after they came back from space? Was it within walking distance of NYC?
No. There was a brief scene of Ben arriving in NYC (though honestly, I don't remember if he got off a boat or train) - he didn't walk the whole way.

#574091 07/29/05 07:31 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Did anyone else notice (it may have been too fast for some) that when Johnny was being chased by the missle, the first time he passes the screen in full view, the frame was reversed the wrong direction. The 4 logo was on the right side of his chest instead of the left and it was backwards. How do you let a gaffe like that slip through?

#574092 08/14/05 09:34 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I finally saw this today. Broke a few years long streak of absence from movie theaters to do it.

I liked it; I'd rank it alongside X-Men but under X2.

Johhny Storm was great and kept me laughing. He and Ben translated very well from comic to movie. Sue translated well enough. Reed I felt was the least successful comic to movie translation. Doom was just kinda there to be the nemesis. Johnny and Sue *looked* the best.

Lots of falling scenes kept my heart racing.

I didn't mind the little tweaks to the FF mythos here and there, and I immedietely loved Alicia.

#574093 06/01/06 06:53 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
On the sequel front, Jessica Alba let loose that the Silver Surfer will be showing up in FF2. Could Galactus be far behind?

#574094 06/01/06 07:01 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
I think that since surfing is so 1960s, the movie Silver Surfer will be a skateboarder, perhaps played by Tony Hawk or Bam Margera.

Viva la Galactus! smile

Spellbinder #863749 08/06/15 10:56 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
So, the reboot movie is currently at 9% on Rotten Tomatoes. [Bring back Galactus The Cloud?]

I haven't had such schadenfreude at a movie's reception since... oh... Green Lantern. Try the Rolling Stone review on for size...

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Spellbinder #863777 08/07/15 08:35 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
I almost feel bad for Miles Teller. He was just the lead in an Oscar nominated movie and now he's in this crap. shake

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Spellbinder #863799 08/07/15 10:24 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Even the director Josh Frank has thrown in the towel. A tweet he has since deleted basically blames the studio for screwing up what he was trying to do.

Stalgie, I agree, Teller seems like a good actor and good guy. Too bad.

A few too many of these terrible superhero movies and the age of superhero movies might find itself coming to an abrupt end.

Spellbinder #863804 08/07/15 12:05 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Working with the assumption that it IS bad (and the ads I've seen and reviews I've read make it seem horrific), I hope it fails miserably so the studios will learn not to throw any more bullshit our way.

Fanboys will keep reading comics after they've gone to shit, but I don't think the movie-going masses will continue to go to shitty movies.

Spellbinder #863805 08/07/15 12:07 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
BTDubbs, I didn't mind the first one, I thought it was alright. Worst scene I remember is Sue taking her clothes off for whatever reason. That was "What happens to toads when they are struck by lightning, the same as everything else" level bad.

Spellbinder #863829 08/07/15 04:35 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
This should be the least of the hero movies to screw up. These characters are not that complex but they are identifiable.

They HAD to know they were unnecessarily complicating audience response with the Johnny race change, right? I mean, sites calling people "racist" simply for noticing. That's all distraction. And to have suddenly the most immature of the four played by the minority isn't racist?

Doom did not need a change. He's a mask. And it WAS time to show a Thing-Hulk battle, now that they have Hulk well figured out.

Kids on Thing's arm
Babes on Johnny's arm
Reed and Sue on each other's arm

The audience hooks are blatant. Their complexities always built and contrasted off that public persona.

Superman? Yeah I get why that can be difficult. But FF4? I don't.

Spellbinder #864088 08/09/15 01:41 PM
Saw the movie today (went to matinee so didn't pay full price.

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. It was the *yawn* original all over again. You could say that Reed is the cause of all the trouble. So, they aren't being all that heroic.

I will say that pre-accident Victor Von Doom was a hotie.

Spellbinder #864208 08/10/15 10:46 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
I've been thinking that the Fantastic Four would have worked better as a period piece in the same vein as the underrated X-Men: First Class.

With NASA pretty much dead right now, space exploration just isn't the cultural zeitgeist it used to be during the 1960's, which is pretty depressing frankly. Entrepreneurship and cultural introspection are the forefront of modern society's interests, which is why Iron Man better fits our modern world. That's why superheroes like the Fantastic Four and X-Men work best as period pieces where they can play off the unique cultural context that birthed them. It's not a surprise that the best X-Men movie was set in the 1960's, where the filmmakers understood how to make Cold War themes of prejudice and scientific paranoia resonate with a modern audience. Though those ideas are centered around those time periods, they are universal concepts that anyone can understand and relate to in any era. You just need the right context to make it work.

Last edited by Nostalgia Lad; 08/10/15 10:53 AM.

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Spellbinder #864217 08/10/15 12:54 PM
Also, they need to do some story other than the origin.

Spellbinder #864231 08/10/15 02:53 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Ugh I'm so tired of the origin movie getting redone with each franchise. F4, Spiderman, Batman, Superman, etc. It seems a bit ridiculous

Very interesting comments on the social context stuff. Methinks you're onto something.

(And I'm also a bit let down by the breakdown of NASA)

I think this is going to be a wait-for-Netflix thing

Spellbinder #864232 08/10/15 03:19 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
See... the Fantastic Four origin should take up about the first ten minutes of the movie. There's just not really enough there to make an entire movie out of.

I mean... imagine a Legion movie where they spend the entire film saving R.J. Brande? It's about like that.

Eryk Davis Ester #864311 08/11/15 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
See... the Fantastic Four origin should take up about the first ten minutes of the movie. There's just not really enough there to make an entire movie out of.

My thought too. But then who should they fight? I was thinking the skrulls.

Spellbinder #864312 08/11/15 11:16 AM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
The traditionalist in me would like to see the Mole Man, but the Skrulls would probably make a more coherent movie.

Eryk Davis Ester #864315 08/11/15 11:48 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
The traditionalist in me would like to see the Mole Man, but the Skrulls would probably make a more coherent movie.

They better use the Mole Man first before Brad Bird beats them to it with Incredibles 2!

"Behold the Underminer! I am always beneath you, but nothing is beneath me!"

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,218
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star