Roll Call
1 members (Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller), 30 Murran Spies, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/09/24 08:34 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/09/24 06:41 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:04 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
Star Trek / Enterprise
#574535 09/07/03 06:28 AM
S
Stu Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
S
Season 3 of Enterprise premieres this WEDNESDAY!

I've been watching Enterprise pretty faithfully the last two seasons, but I have to admit my interest started to wane toward the end of last season. The quality of the episodes really varied -- some were top-notch, while others were real snoozers. I'm looking forward to the new season and hoping that it can give this series the boost it needs to keep afloat.

Any other fans of Star Trek generally and/or Enterprise specifically? How do you all think Enterprise stacks up to the other series? What's next for the film franchise after last year's lukewarm-at-the-box-office Nemesis?

Re: Star Trek / Enterprise
#574536 09/07/03 07:09 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Well up until we lost our cable I did not have access to a UPN station. Our local UPN had been run by Larry Miller (Jazz basketball owner) and he made a remark a couple of years ago that if UPN didn't stop having 'urban' programming he was going to drop them. So, if I recall correctly, they dropped him instead. The station that picked it up was only available on antenna and we couldn't get it. But now that all we have is the antenna, I can finally watch this and Buffy.

I've watched just a couple of shows so far, including the season finale from last season. That was a good one. The episode shown before (a double header last Wednesday) was with T'Pau (is that her name?) undergoing PonFar. Eh. Not the greatest. I also have been able to catch the one with the race with 3 genders (too much a rip off of a similar TNG) and the one with Keith Carridine. That was pretty decent as well.

I'm planning on watching the new season as much as I can. This new direction looks good. Plus, if you notice, they have finally decided to call it Star Trek Enterprise. Couldn't make it without the direct tie-in.

Also, I haven't seen Nemesis yet but have heard it was the death of the film series. No one, especially Patrick Stewart from what I've ready, wants to do another one. But he has X-Men and possibly Spider Jerusalem, the lead character in Transmetropolitan, to fall back on.

What did you think of Nemesis? Is it worth adding to my ST movie collection or should I just rent it?

#574537 09/07/03 07:20 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
I want t'bang T'pol! love

--T'Pov!

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#574538 09/07/03 07:30 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Enterprise has been a pretty big disappointment for me. It seemed to have a lot of promise and the first episode had a very different feel than the other Star Trek shows -- it seemed they were aiming at a more complicated space drama series that captured some of the wonder of the space race.

But it soon fell back to the same kinds of formulas that Trek fans know like the back of their hands -- the novelty of how it's all kinda new to them has worn out on me.

I'll watch the new season to see if this new direction is any more interesting.

So are they putting the whole "temporal cold war" plot on hold, or was that resolved? Did they reveal who that mysterious future figure was?

#574539 09/07/03 07:38 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:
So are they putting the whole "temporal cold war" plot on hold, or was that resolved? Did they reveal who that mysterious future figure was?
Not from what I gathered of the last episode. The events that led up to the new direction the show is taking is based on him giving Archer information about a new, deadly race. That race supposedly found out about Earth causing its destruction 400 years in the future and they are bound to destroy humanity. I've been trying to guess who that future 'darkman' could be. I'm thinking someone tied to TNG or DS9. Maybe Voyager but I don't know much about that show. I hope they don't leave that unresolved for a long time.

#574540 09/07/03 08:25 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:

What did you think of Nemesis? Is it worth adding to my ST movie collection or should I just rent it?
Nemesis... ehhh... I'd rent it first. There WERE some fans who truly enjoyed it, but I consider myself a fairly discerning consumer of Star Trek (having been a fan since, oh, getting my first Kirk and Spock Mego dolls in like 1976) and for me, it was a barely passable retread of Wrath of Khan. But, that's just one Prime's opinion. smile

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#574541 09/07/03 01:17 PM
Active
Active
dont even bother with nemesis, its a load of shit put together by a guy who knew nothing about star trek and basically just destroyed the star trek movie franchise{not that it wasnt coming anyway}

i agree that enterprise has been a let down so far, though i do like the characters, the stories seem to lack or at least something is missing. I like the new direction its taken, and the temperal cold was is not put on hold, its still going on its just going to be gone for i think the first part of the season or at least thats what i thought i heard.
I didnt know it started wednestday, cant wait!

#574542 09/07/03 01:32 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I've been trying to guess who that future 'darkman' could be. I'm thinking someone tied to TNG or DS9.
I wonder if the "darkman" is listed in the show credits? Most hardcore Trek fans would be able to recognize recurring actors from either series I imagine. I swear that voice is really familiar though...

#574543 09/07/03 01:37 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
[b] I've been trying to guess who that future 'darkman' could be. I'm thinking someone tied to TNG or DS9.
I wonder if the "darkman" is listed in the show credits? Most hardcore Trek fans would be able to recognize recurring actors from either series I imagine. I swear that voice is really familiar though... [/b]
Which is why I don't think he's listed in the show credits. They know we know enough to spot him if they did.

#574544 09/07/03 01:50 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Prime probably said it best, Nemesis is a poor man's Kahn. I felt let down by it for some reason, haven't been able to put my finger on it just yet though. I've got a couple ideas running around but I don't want to spoil it for you Lad.

As for Enterprise, I keep waiting for Capt. Archer to leap after he sets things right. Hasn't happened yet though.

I watched it for a bit, but when they dropped the temporal stuff and started doing rehashed Trek plots... well I just lost interest. I dig the opening song though. It's a little better than the opening song for Scrubs.

Something Filthy!
#574545 09/07/03 02:02 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I like the opening song too. Kinda neat to have one with lyrics actually used.

#574546 09/07/03 02:02 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by minesurfer:
As for Enterprise, I keep waiting for Capt. Archer to leap after he sets things right. Hasn't happened yet though.
lol I'll settle for an "oh, boy..." (maybe afer a mindswitching episode, cuz there are always mind switching episodes)

Though a guest shot for Dean Stockwell would be awesome!

#574547 09/07/03 02:20 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
I've been a TrekConsumer since watching the first episode ("The Man-Trap") on NBC in 1966. Except for "Enterprise," with never having seen one from beginning to end.

With "Trek" having ranged over so many stories, this has the same syndrome working to bore me stiff at the prospect of seeing "Enterprise" as it does with "Star Wars" Episode III:

We know what precedes it. ("Trek" has the most elaborated backstory of any such fiction.) We know, certainly, what follows it. (For centuries afterward.) What dramatic tension can exist involving anything in the Federation setting that we know has been around or will be around?

I'm not fond of their inserting another Jeri Ryan type, this time as a Vulcan female, to raise the pulchritude quotient for the horny 13-year-old geek boys. (I should know, as I was one.) The first two "Trek"s largely got along without that, Grace Lee Whitney and Marina Sirtis notwithstanding.

When it goes on DVD, I may sample it, sans commercials. Until then, I can't work up the enthusiasm.

#574548 09/07/03 06:49 PM
S
Stu Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
S
I believe the identity of the actor who played "Darkman" was listed in the very first episode -- either that, or someone figured it out from some other source, because I read it somewhere, and I seem to recall confirming it by checking the credits of the first episode (which I had on tape).

It's an actor who's been on a couple of ST episodes before, but not as the same character. I can post the name if people want.

#574549 09/07/03 07:38 PM
Active
Active
i think the dark man is part of enterprise, i was thinking maybe it was Archer, from the future.

#574550 09/07/03 08:10 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I actually really think pretty well of Enterprise. Unfortunately, I have to jump on the bandwagon and say it's past time for Rick Berman to be put out to pasture. I don't think the guy has much left in the tank, and he's going to drag Trek down with him. Enterprise has a good premise in Starfleet and mankind's first steps into the larger galaxy and a mostly appealing cast. Unfortunately, the lack of direction is killing the show, and I don't have much confidence in the big new direction to help. Making the show more action-oriented isn't very much in line with Roddenberry's ideas for Trek.

I also though Nemesis, for all it's flaws, was a big improvement over Insurrection. I still don't care for the idea that every TNG movie had to be Picard/Data fixated. I never really cared about Data anyway.

#574551 09/07/03 11:10 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Stu:
I believe the identity of the actor who played "Darkman" was listed in the very first episode -- either that, or someone figured it out from some other source, because I read it somewhere, and I seem to recall confirming it by checking the credits of the first episode (which I had on tape).

It's an actor who's been on a couple of ST episodes before, but not as the same character. I can post the name if people want.
I'd be interested to know since he's not playing the same character. I just want to know the actor since I know I've heard that voice and it's always bugged me that I can't place it.

Feel free to post it tomorrow night if nobody objects in the meantime.

#574552 09/08/03 06:47 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
No objection from me. Like Drake, I know the voice sounded familiar and am curious to find out who it is.

#574553 09/08/03 08:27 AM
Active
Active
no objection here
but if you say vaughn armstong{i think thats his name}, that wont be who the dark man is.

#574554 09/08/03 08:51 AM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
I like the opening song too. Kinda neat to have one with lyrics actually used.
When I first heard the theme song, I thought "EWWW I don't like this. What were they thinking." But the song does kind of grow on you.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#574555 09/08/03 02:58 PM
A
Active
Active
A
Nothing instills me with as much disappointment as what has happened to the Star Trek franchise in the last few years.

Even the stiff-as-a-board characters of Deep Space Nine intrigued me for a time.

But, before the first season was out, Enterprise had me sitting through entire episodes simply for some mildly interesting action or previews of next week. (And, frankly, Scott Bakula was uninspiring from the get-go.)

So, for the time being, if I want good space-exploration science fiction, I'll stick to Trek or Farscape reruns.

#574556 09/08/03 04:43 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
i haven't had the chance to follow "ENTERPRISE" !!! i did see the first 10 or so episodes [ and i did enjoy them ] but i kept missing the later ones !!!

it's shown on a channel here that i don't always have time to watch !!! and they would only show the episode once !!!

other channels that show "24", "Smallville", "Birds of Prey" all show re-runs of that weeks episode about 2-3 times each week !!! so you never miss one !!!

i like that way of showing an episode !!! the first showing is usually around 8 or 9pm and then the first re-run will be at 12am [ which is the time i quite often watch it !!! ]

Matthew.

#574557 09/08/03 04:45 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
oh yeah !!!

i really enjoyed "NEMESIS" !!! i even got the DVD of it for my birthday .....

Matthew.

#574558 09/08/03 05:51 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by the boy with UltraPowers:
oh yeah !!!

i really enjoyed "NEMESIS" !!! i even got the DVD of it for my birthday .....

Matthew.
So there you have it. ! Some of us in the community really enjoyed it! You should see it for yourself, Scott, and make a determination.

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#574559 09/08/03 06:05 PM
S
Stu Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
S
Feel free to post it tomorrow night if nobody objects in the meantime.
The actor I'd heard to be portraying "dark man"/"future guy" is James Horan. He's also appeared in Next Gen, DS9, and Voyager in different roles.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,222
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Fat Cramer
Fat Cramer
Café Cramer
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star