Roll Call
0 members (), 116 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/28/24 03:23 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 11:11 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:50 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:49 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Great Vacation spots in the Carribean and off the Coast of Central America
#576940 03/08/04 09:23 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Well, where are they and how much do they cost?

I'm looking for insider tips here, good recommendations for a graduate school kid looking to get away for a few days to somewhere warm with beaches, bars and restaurants!

Cheap air fare, a nice bed & breakfast type room, very charming, but not extravagant!

What tips do you have to offer this poor young man?

*Note- I do plan to see the world in my lifetime, with long trips through Europe, North Africa, Asia, and so much more. But in the meantime, I'm just looking for quick, cheap trip to somewhere sunny smile

Re: Great Vacation spots in the Carribean and off the Coast of Central America
#576941 03/08/04 11:49 AM
Deputy
Deputy
The U.S. Virgin Islands are nice, and you can get around sans passport and keep the same money. You'll also be a hop, skip, and a boat trip from one of the most beautiful beaches ever, at Virgin Gorda (that's the British V.Is., for those of you keeping score) They can be pricey, however. Puerto Rico has some of the same advantages and is somewhat easier to get to.

If you're looking a little cheaper (and I'm always looking cheaper, which is why I haven't been back to the Caribbean since my honeymoon) Costa Rica is one of my favorite places ever. There's rivers, jungles, beaches, volcanoes, all sorts of things to do and not too expensive. Plus, you can eat black beans with every meal. Yes, even breakfast.

It all depends also on how warm things have to be. My spring break budget for this year means I'm staying in the in-law's Fort Walton condo. Hey, it's the beach, and it's at least 10 degrees warmer on average than Nashvega$.

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!
#576942 03/08/04 01:32 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Come to L.A. ... you don't need a passport, and I'll buy you dinner in Marina del Rey.

#576943 03/08/04 05:26 PM
Active
Active
I know a really nice place in Costa Rica. And one of the owners is a comics fan.

http://www.hoteldelmar-costarica.com/

From their website:
Located 7 km from the town of Quepos, Hotel Del Mar is nestled in the jungle, and only a short walk to several beaches and Manuel Antonio National Park.

Play on the beach while watching monkeys, birds and iguanas. Or, let us arrange activities such as, horseback tours to secluded waterfalls; kayaking on the sea or one of the many nearby rivers; or a canopy tour to get you even closer to the orchids, birds, monkeys and other wildlife for which Costa Rica is renowned.

Yes, but now I'm back! I'm back FROM the future!

Vist Hyperion Ranch!
Guided tours of Chateau Crowbar now available!

http://hometown.aol.com/kidcrowbar/myhomepage/ranch.html
#576944 03/08/04 06:25 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Cobie, a history buff like you should consider Saint Augustine in Florida.

It'll be warm, quaint, has nice beaches, awesome bed & breakfasts, is very charming & historic. Plus it's only about 1/2 hour to 45 minute drive to the craziness of Daytona Beach during Spring Break. You can fly in to Jacksonville, or Orlando and be there in no time from either (Southwest flys to both cities from Hartford if I'm not mistaken.)

Depending on how much time you have, you're in easy reach of Disney, Universal & Sea World in Orlando for a day or two (and I'll treat you to dinner) or about 7 hours drive to Key West (less to any of the other major Keys)

All in all a great trip, no passport, money exchange, etc.

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#576945 03/09/04 03:45 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Costa Rica is certainly a great place. I love the people there, and there is lots to see. It's very good for nature and beaches, but not good at all for historical sites, it always was a backwater of the Spanish empire. The forests are absolutely fantastic. There is also a volcano that erupts constantly (Volcán Arenal), it's actually quite interesting if the weather plays along. Oh, and there's something called the Monumento Nacional Guayabo, ruins of an ancient indian town. Those are quite interesting, but very difficult to reach.

Otherwise, I'll suggest the Yucatan. You could take a cheap flight to Cancun, there's lots of those, but for heaven's sake don't stay there. I know you like history, so you could go meandering to Chichen Itza, Uxmal and some of the other Mayan ruins. And then you could go to either Merida or Campeche, two wonderful colonial cities in the northern Yucatan. Or, if you want sun, beaches, some diving maybe, you could do worse than to go to Cozumel, Isla Mujeres or some of the other resorts in the area.

Enjoy your vacations! I am also planning for when the course that I'm teaching finishes...

#576946 03/12/04 12:12 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Thanks for the advice guys! And I think I might take you up on that Grey when I make it out to California laugh

And everyone in the US who has a great vacation spot, like Vee and Grey, be careful, I might show up at your door sometime, looking for a warm meal!

#576947 03/13/04 03:43 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Cobie,

Its not hot, nor is it a den of Inequity, but its is pretty cheap to get to the UK at the moment.

I can promise you loads of History, The roman wall is right on the doorstep and dont get me started on the castles. the beer is wonderful. And the women wear next to nothing when they go to the pub. (even in December)

so when you coming over wink

Faithfull

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,974
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
KOKO
KOKO
Interplanetary Zoo
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star