Roll Call
0 members (), 60 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 11:11 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:51 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:50 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:49 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Would you be surprised if there was a real "superhero"?
#577144 05/23/05 01:46 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Or meta-human, whatever we call them today...

I was reflecting that I grew up so immersed in superhero stories, and continue to be so, yet there are many people who aren't - and how would our reactions differ if news came, with credible evidence, that someone existed with some sort of superpower.

I suspect I'd be more accepting of it, perhaps as some wish-fulfillment. For example, I don't know if Uri Geller can really bend spoons or not, but don't consider it impossible. I just wonder to what extent this thinking has been shaped by superhero comics.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Re: Would you be surprised if there was a real "superhero"?
#577145 05/23/05 06:18 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I think I'd be very intrigued and very supportive of any type of super-hero. And in a way, I'd be incredibly satisfied and at peace in knowing that there is so much more to what we know about ourselves (re: strange 'abilities' or even just someone 'fighting crime').

Hell, I'd be more worried about me deluding myself into becoming a side-kick!

#577146 05/23/05 06:29 AM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
I would say that we (superhero comic book readers) would be like the people in the movie "Independence Day" just before the aliens attack - excited and hopeful. Hopefully we wouldn't be surprized like the people were too.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#577147 05/25/05 10:15 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I largely agree with Quis, although, depending on said hero's abilities, I think there would be some trepidation involved as well.

He or she would certainly become an instant media celebrity once they went public, with everything they say subject to major scrutiny.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#577148 05/25/05 08:04 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
I would say that we (superhero comic book readers) would be like the people in the movie "Independence Day" just before the aliens attack - excited and hopeful. Hopefully we wouldn't be surprized like the people were too.
Good analogy -- because reality is never as clean-cut as ideals, and power truly does corrupt. A Superman-class person would initially seem as a godsend, but within a few years would likely become a nightmare.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#577149 05/28/05 09:08 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
It might depend on what the meta-human does with his or her powers.

If they use it to bend spoons, like Geller, then they will be seen as charlatans or hucksters trying to capitalize off circus-level talent.

If they are out trying to stop bank robbers, save lives, etc., that would be whole different dynamic. Who wouldn't have wanted some supernatural force to intervene in Oklahoma City or on 9/11?

They probably would become media celebrities for a few years. But depending on how powerful they were, people might grow suspicious of them (see RISING STARS) or ignore them and go back to their regularly scheduled lives and reality shows. After all, it's easy to take the police, etc., for granted, until we need them.

A third possiblity which intrigues me is that meta-humans might inspire people to consider their own potential and the possibilities that we are capable of. We had that sense of optimistic wonder with the moon landing in 1969, but it seems to have been missing ever since. When the most people get excited about is what possessions we can buy or what technology can do for us (as opposed to what we ourselves can do), then we're missing something, I think.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#577150 06/03/05 06:24 AM
Active
Active
I don't usually consider myself a cynic, but these posts are awfully optimistic. If metahumans out there were to exist, I'd be afraid they'd be more inclined to use their powers for selfish gain than good. After all, the news is unfortunately saturated with crime and death and not enough human interest inspirationals (which are often relegated to a back page, a "Life" section of a newspaper, or the final moment of a news program to bring that smile segment at the end of a depressing news coverage).

Pseudo-Cynic Out.

#577151 06/03/05 08:53 AM
Active
Active
I would be surprised and somewhat worried. Given the fact that governments fund a lot of cutting edge research, you could almost bet that the first powered person would be the result of military research.

I am thinking of something along the line of Ultimates, or an older mini series called Psycho. In the world of Psycho, instead of the atom bomb, WWII was ended when a genetically engineered metahuman killed Hitler. other countries developed them and they were used as soliders/terriost.

#577152 06/03/05 08:55 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by wamu2:
I would be surprised and somewhat worried. Given the fact that governments fund a lot of cutting edge research, you could almost bet that the first powered person would be the result of military research.

I am thinking of something along the line of Ultimates, or an older mini series called Psycho. In the world of Psycho, instead of the atom bomb, WWII was ended when a genetically engineered metahuman killed Hitler and other Axis leaders. other countries developed them and they were used as soliders/terriost.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,974
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Eryk Davis Ester
Eryk Davis Ester
Liberty City
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star