Roll Call
1 members (Nightcrawler, Nightcrawler, Nightcrawler), 68 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:44 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:41 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:38 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:13 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Alias 2001-2006 (Spoilers)
#577616 09/26/05 11:34 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
OP Offline
The season premiere is this Thursday.

I must confess I was almost afraid to post about this, given the level of anti-Alias (or rather anti-Seasons Three, Four and the upcoming Five) venom on other boards. But since this is one of the few nice, reasonable boards, I'm going ahead with the post.

I have no expectations, I'm just going to wait and see how the premiere is.

My personal perspective is this: I am a latecomer to Alias. The first season that I watched was Season Four. I enjoyed it a lot. Yes, some of the stand-alone episodes were weak, but other stand-alone episodes were great (I love "Nocturne.") And I was exactly the kind of viewer they were trying to bring in, the viewers who wanted to get into the show but were having trouble jumping in because it was so complicated.

I've caught up with Seasons One, Two, and Three through renting the DVDs at Blockbuster. I think they all have their good and bad points. The following are all IMHO:

Season One has lots of action and consistently good stories, but I think it's pitched at too hysterical a level.

Season Two feels like a transitional season, like they're still trying to find the best way to structure it; the writing is more uneven that Season One. On the other hand, it has the awesome Irina Derevko. It also has some of Sydney's best disguises -- I love the scene in "Endgame" where she just runs into a pharmacy and instantly transforms herself into a sorority girl.

Season Three was a little dull as far as disguises and such, but the writing was consistently good once again, and they finally found the right structure.

Season Four is kind of a cross between Two and Three -- the writing was uneven once more, the disguises were great once more, and the structure was still in place.

Season Five? Time will tell.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Re: Alias 2001-2006 (Spoilers)
#577617 09/28/05 09:33 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I still like the show a lot and am looking forward to the new season, but my enthusiasm for the show has waned. I didn't realize there was such rancor in the internet for the other seasons though.

I agree that Irina Derevko was one of the highlights. I also like the cat & mouse game that happened between the super-spy couples, Syd and Vauhgn vs. Sark and Vaughn's wife. It gave the show some needed twists that come with being a double-agent that was kinda lost when Syd went over to the real CIA.

I was really disappointed with the resolution to the whole "two years later" storyline though. It seemed really anti-climactic and almost tacked on just to remove it as a plot point.

I for one am glad Syd's sister is in a coma. I think her presence diluted the impact of the storyline. Unfortunately, I thought the resolution to the whole Rimbaldi prophecy thing was also really anticlimactic.

The show still does its best work when dealing with the characters and their interaction. It's the spy-stuff that's been lacking lately. We'll see what happens now with this new twist on Vaughn and Syd's pregnancy (I wonder if Rimbaldi had anything to say about that?).

#577618 09/29/05 09:11 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
the cat & mouse game that happened between the super-spy couples, Syd and Vauhgn vs. Sark and Vaughn's wife gave the show some needed twists that come with being a double-agent that was kinda lost when Syd went over to the real CIA.

I was really disappointed with the resolution to the whole "two years later" storyline though. It seemed really anti-climactic and almost tacked on just to remove it as a plot point.

I for one am glad Syd's sister is in a coma. I think her presence diluted the impact of the storyline. Unfortunately, I thought the resolution to the whole Rimbaldi prophecy thing was also really anticlimactic.

The show still does its best work when dealing with the characters and their interaction. It's the spy-stuff that's been lacking lately. We'll see what happens now with this new twist on Vaughn and Syd's pregnancy (I wonder if Rimbaldi had anything to say about that?).
The bizarre love quadrangle* was one of my favorite things, too. I, too, found the Two Years Later resolution a letdown, but I liked the Rambaldi outcome (and of course Syd's pregnancy has something to do with it -- there's still more to be fulfilled.)

And I liked Syd's sister Nadia. The Season Four episode where they go on a mission together ("Detente") is one of my favorites. I hope Nadia gets out of her coma sometime this season, even if she only appears once or twice.

*I couldn't resist -- I'm a New Order fan, and Bizarre Love Triangle is my favorite song of theirs.

#577619 09/29/05 06:12 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
About the Rimbaldi storyline resolution, I should say that it was really cool to see the whole family together jumping out of the plane about to take on that giant red ball and a city full of crazed zombies -- that was really cool even if the way things ultimately ended fell short for me.

#577620 09/30/05 07:07 AM
OP Offline
Yeah, nothing could ever quite top that skydiving scene.

As for the Season Five premiere, I'm happy to say that my lack of expectations paid off.

S
P
O
I
E
R
S
P
A
C
E
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
A
C
E

Great opening scene, picking up right where the crash left off, with Sydney getting into a gunfight with enemy agents pretending to be an ambulance crew.

The new enemy organization, Prophet Five, has operatives deep inside the U.S. government itself. Could lead to some interesting plot developments.

For most of the episode, it looks like this season will be about Sydney and Vaughn trying to clear Vaughn's name while adjusting their relationship for their baby.

Then, Vaughn is brutally shot down. He doesn't survive.

So, the rumors have turned out to be true. Michael Vartan has left the show. Even knowing the rumors, I still didn't see that shocking twist coming.

Where the show goes from here remains to be seen, but it's a very promising start.

And I'm very glad that Allison Shapker and Monica Breen are still the show's main writer/producers (yes, I'm one of those viewers who pays way too much attention to the credits -- they were story editors during Season Three, then promoted to writer/producers in Season Four. They've written many of my favorite episodes, and clearly have a definite role in the show's general direction.)

#577621 09/30/05 10:34 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
It's sad that Vaughn is gone. So Syd is now 2-2 when it comes to dead fiancees hm?

I was kinda hoping the discovery of Vaughn's true origin would be more of an ongoing thing (with Vaughn on the outside, Syd on the inside and them having to be all secretive again like season 1), but it's answered right away and honestly, the new storyline doesn't seem interesting to me (especially since it sounds a lot like Rimbaldi again). Hopefully things will pick up when we find out what part Sloan will play this season and how Syd's pregnancy will affect things (I can't imagine it'll be good though -- how irresponsible would she be to go on missions in her condition?).

I really don't get how that guy was able to fake being FBI and pass security checks etc. when all it took was a phone call to find out that he had been "off the grid" for two years. It's not like nobody knew he was a baddie. The new "anti-Marshal" chick might be an interesting new element.

So, basically I'm not excited about the new season but I'll wait and see.

#577622 09/30/05 10:43 AM
OP Offline
I should have taped it, then I could watch it again and I'd probably have an explanation for how the Prophet Five guy was able to pass for FBI. But I'm sure it's something to do with Prophet Five being a government conspiracy.

I read somewhere that Sydney will not be doing a lot of field work this season, in order to accomodate Jennifer Garner's RL pregnancy, and the new cast members will be handling most of the action stuff. I personally like the idea of Sydney shifting into a mentor role. And I have no doubt that her pregnancy is some kind of final link to Rambaldi, which will probably also turn out to be tied to Prophet Five.

#577623 09/30/05 08:16 PM
Active
Active
I've always been SUCH a huge fan of this show. Sadly, along season 3 or so I started missing episodes and have been somewhat confused ever since. frown

My one concern about (which is my biggest concern about Lost) is the fact that there seems to be a need to "re-invent" it every season to keep the series and ratings up, sort of "reboots gone wild." frown I would have preferred a much more structured beginning, middle and end to the series with there being a set time limit (seasons) if need be. Instead it sort of feels like they're playing it by ear, adding layer upon layer as the ideas pop into their heads, thus the unevenness of the overall storyline when you put all the seasons together on one timeline.

Regardless, I love this show and am very sad to see Vaughn gone, I always thought they had such great chemsitry, but the writing was on the wall when the two actors broke up. frown

#577624 09/30/05 11:25 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
just saw it on DVR.

Like the new setup. I'm hooked for this season.

Like the anti marshall. She'll become important. Can't wait to see the new field agents. One of them is Amy Acker -Fred from Angel. Can't wait to see her.

#577625 10/04/05 06:30 AM
Active
Active
I can't believe Vaughn is dead. Look at the resurrection of Irina. He's gotta be back.

Which part did Balthazar Getty play in this episode? I saw his name in the credits, but didn't catch him.

#577626 10/07/05 08:52 AM
OP Offline
Last night's episode wasn't as good as the first one. It was one of those episodes where the show almost turns into a cartoon. Still, there's now a cryogenically frozen body (whose, we haven't been told yet) about to be re-animated with nuclear energy -- that should create some interesting weirdness. And, just as I predicted, Prophet Five is proving to have some very powerful connections.

#577627 10/14/05 06:06 AM
OP Offline
Best things about last nights episode:

- Rachel (the Anti-Marshall) is way cool! And the mentor/disciple setup between Sydney and her really works.

- They've already picked up the Nadia plot thread. Yay! Anyone want to bet that by the end of the season, Sloane will have found the cure for Nadia and finally redeemed himself, but at the cost of his own life?

Worst things about last night's episode:

- What's-his-name (Vaughn's replacement) is a jerk with no charm.

- Dean (the evil head of Prophet Five) has a ridiculous speech about how much he enjoys serial killer novels. The producers should have demanded a rewrite of that scene.

#577628 10/14/05 10:55 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm thinking that at this point, if you're some random Sydney love interest, DON'T offer a ring. It's just not worth losing your life over.

We'll see what happens with this season, but I'm less-than-enthralled with Diet Vaughn and Diet Syd.

I don't think Arvin Sloane is redeemable. I actually wouldn't put it past him, even now, to be exactly where he wants to be in the grand scheme of things.

The thing I'm most irritated with is that since Sydney lost all her eggs during season 3, that sure is some super-sperm of Vaughn's, impregnating her in that condition! (Of course, it IS Vaughn we're talking about.)

Other gripes: no Sark. I miss him. No Will. He's so cute!

However, bring Anna and Irina back for guest appearances this season (and Sark, please!) and I just might be a happy camper. 'Specially if Anna and Sark kidnap the baby for some nefarious Rambaldi purpose. Now that just might rock!

I am very concerned that this show has jumped the shark with the death of Vaughn, though. Even the whole Lauren saga didn't worry me as much as this one.

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#577629 10/14/05 08:35 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Nice to see Amy Acker, very nice to see Rachel Nichols love (who says there's no life after international modeling and "Dumb and Dumberer"?). Almost makes me not notice the show sliding downhill. The show's just not the same -- I can't believe they got rid of tha main man ... Weiss! Ah well...

Honestly, It's hard to get into this season when the show seems to be steered more by real life than JJ Abrams. Jennifer Garner broke up with Vartan and is pregnant so Vaughn gets killed and Sydney gets pregnant. And it really does look ridiculous for Syd to go on missions in her condition -- is she out of her mind? Just makes her look incredibly reckless (and I thought women at her advanced pregnancy shouldn't fly?).

The show almost had me back when it looked like they were just going to start again with Rachel in the double-agent role with Syd as her handler or something but a pregnant agent taking a techie into the field is going to be hard to swallow. I'll keep watching, but they're soooo close to jumping the shark. As it is, I tape "Smallville" and watch "Alias" only if I'm home.

#577630 11/23/05 07:55 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
ABC has pulled the plug.

Ain\'t It Cool has the press release.

#577631 11/25/05 01:00 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
ABC has pulled the plug.

Ain\'t It Cool has the press release.
Just as well. All the inevitable baby drama would've just dragged the show down even further.

#577632 12/16/05 06:42 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Did anyone catch the latest episode? I just kept thinking they were riffing on "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind".

Nice to see Syd's mom is back -- she's always been a good element to the show. Too bad Sloane has been such a non-factor this season. Hopefully the plot with her daughter will pick up if only to see Sloane do something.

#577633 12/16/05 07:15 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Irina's back? Like, Lena Olin was actually around?

#577634 12/16/05 10:46 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Yup -- she revealed herself at the end of the ep as the one who kidnapped Syd and had her brainwashed in an attempt to get her to recollect a name that was on that big map of SD-6 Vaughn showed her in season one. She also appears to want Syd'd child for some reason.

#577635 12/16/05 12:01 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Darn. I guess the producers know what they have to do to get me hooked again...

#577636 12/23/05 01:18 PM
OP Offline
HA!

I always knew staying faithful to this show would pay off. I can't wait for the final episodes.

And the cancellation is actually a blessing in disguise, because I remember J.J. Abrams once saying that his original outline covered five whole seasons worth of stories. Once the show is over, it would be fascinating if Abrams posted this original outline, from before the show had to be changed to adapt to different circumstances over the years.

#577637 12/24/05 04:05 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'd be most interested to know if he originally intended the whole Rimbaldi thing to end the way it did and if he originally intended for Syd to have a sister -- that one seemed like a last minute patch.

#577638 01/01/06 11:52 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
i'm sorry to hear this show is ending at the end of season 5 !! but i guess they can't go on forever, without running out of some of the 'steam' !!

as i've only just started watching season four [ got it for Christmas ] i guess i can't comment on what's happened up until now, but i have love the last 3 seasons, and i'm sure the produces will really 'bring it' for the season finale !!

how far are you through the season ?? and apart from that i can't really ask much more, without it spoiling it for myself ......

Matthew.

#577639 01/04/06 07:52 AM
OP Offline
Glad to hear you've been enjoying the show. I'll be interested to know your opinion on the very controversial Season Four; as I said earlier in this thread, I think that apart from some weak stand-alone episodes, it's an excellent season.

So far, we're nine episodes into the final season, with the next one scheduled for Thursday March 2nd. I guess this long delay is to allow all the remaining episodes to be completed so that they can air without missing a single week.

#577640 01/17/06 07:00 AM
OP Offline
While we wait for the new episodes, I thought it might be fun if we looked back on our favorite moments. So here's my question: What are your five favorite Alias episodes and why?

My Top Five:

1. "A Missing Link" (Season Three) Written by Monica Breen and Alison Schapker; Directed by Lawrence Trilling.

Sydney goes deep undercover as a mercenary and discovers that during her "lost years" she actually was a mercenary. At the end of the episode, she's faced with the choice of either stabbing Vaughan or blowing her cover, so she stabs Vaughan.

Wow. So many gray areas here, especially with Syd's jealousy of Vaughan and Lauren's marriage. Great line, right after she stabs Vaughan, "You should never have betrayed me." This episode, Breen and Schapker's first Alias script, is why they are my favorite Alias writers, and Trilling was my favorite Alias director (Trilling, who was also a producer, is much missed this season.)

2. "The Passage, Parts One & Two" (Season Two) Written by Debra J. Fisher & Erica Messer (Part One) and Crystal Nix Hines (Part Two); Directed by Ken Olin (Parts One & Two)

The family that spies together...etc. Syd, Jack, and Irina go on a mission together.

As far as I'm concerned, the more Irina the merrier. Great scene where the she and Jack pose as a married couple, with Syd as their bratty college-age daughter.

3. "Detente" (Season Four) Written by Alison Schapker and Monica Breen; Directed by Craig Zisk.

Syd and Nadia are teamed up on the same mission.

I may be in the minority, but I like Nadia and I think this episode was the best showcase of the chemistry that Jennifer Garner and Mia Maestro had.

4. "Nocturne" (Season Four) Written by Jeff Pinkner; Directed by Lawrence Trilling.

Syd's blood is infected with a drug that causes hallucinations and madness.

This, IMO, is the apogee of the producers' Season Four agenda: a highly effective stand-alone. Trilling once again shows that he was the most stylish director the show ever had. This is a must-see on DVD, because it restores a brief but very important scene which ABC censored.

5. "Time Will Tell" (Season One) Written by Jeff Pinkner; Directed by Perry Lang.

Syd discovers coded messages in her mother's collection of vintage books.

Even though Syd spends the next few episodes after this mistakenly believing Jack to be a traitor, this is really the first sign that Laura/Irina was not who she seemed to be. And that makes it a key episode for me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,991
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star