Roll Call
1 members (Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester), 121 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 11:11 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:51 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:50 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:49 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anniversary of Start of American Civil War
#579109 04/13/11 11:33 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
On April 12th-13th 1861 a great and terrible war began when shots were fired at Fort Sumter. More Americans were killed in Civil War than all other wars combined. This war changed the United States in many ways and revolutionized warfare. I spent this morning in a archives researching the civil war. So here is a newspaper article from that day:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...2_1_civil-war-150th-anniversary-conflict

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Re: Anniversary of Start of American Civil War
#579110 04/13/11 11:38 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
The article from 1861 is great! As a Civil War buff, I'm pleased to think the 150th anniversary might get more people in the history of the conflict.

#579111 04/13/11 11:49 AM
strange but not a stranger
Very interesting. I have read a couple of the articles of secession from various states. To those who try to maintain that the South fought for "States rights", you need only read these documents to see that the secession and war was about slavery, period.

Also, I think I have mentioned this before. There is a cemetery near my house which has a plaque dated 1917. The plaque reads "In this cemetery lies veterans of ..." and lists different wars. But instead of calling it the Civil War, the plaque lists it as the Rebellion.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#579112 04/13/11 01:28 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
The level of needless tragedy and human suffering associated with the Civil War is just unimaginable.

If you want to start feeling pessimistic about the overall potential of the human race for incredible stupidity, just read some accounts of, e.g., the Battle of the Crater.

#579113 04/14/11 11:28 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq:
Very interesting. I have read a couple of the articles of secession from various states. To those who try to maintain that the South fought for "States rights", you need only read these documents to see that the secession and war was about slavery, period.

Also, I think I have mentioned this before. There is a cemetery near my house which has a plaque dated 1917. The plaque reads "In this cemetery lies veterans of ..." and lists different wars. But instead of calling it the Civil War, the plaque lists it as the Rebellion.
I'm not gonna be getting into this here. So this will be the only post I make on it, but...

sorry, no, Quis, it wasn't only about slavery. That just isn't true. The victory gets to rewrite history as they see fit. There were atrocities from both sides, many extending far beyond the war. Carpetbagging, etc...

It was also, as many have claimed this current war to be, a bit of an illegal one. Federalists far overstepped the bonds of the Constitution, which clearly named the States as the primary power of the nation. The federal government was to be very limited in scope.

I don't agree with slavery. Never have, never will, but while it was a part of the reasons for the civil war, it was most definitely not the ONLY reason.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#579114 04/14/11 11:42 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
And that is why the Civil War is still relevant till this day. We are still debating it because the results of the Civil War changed many aspects of American life.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
#579115 04/14/11 01:47 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
I live in Missouri, but I teach in Kansas, two states that were a constant battleground during the Civil War and the years leading up the war.

It's difficult, I think, to understand how close the country came to splintering back then. I tell my students that most Americans today refer to themselves as Americans first and citizens of whatever state they live in second. During the mid-19th century, the opposite was true. If you lived in Kansas, you were a Kansan and your enemies came not from overseas but from Missouri. The legacy of that bitter feud lives on in terms such as bushwhacker and Jayhawker.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#579116 04/14/11 05:57 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
many extending far beyond the war. Carpetbagging, etc...
Johnson was a total dick.

Lincoln had a 'Marshall Plan' like intent mapped out to help the southern states recover from the economic blow, and build them back into part of a unified American economic union, and then that idiot shot him and put Johnson, who was adamant that the southern states should be punished instead, and ground down so that they would never be able to build up and become a threat again, in command of the country.

We still haven't recovered from what that bullet in the theater did.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#579117 04/14/11 06:18 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Hmm... I thought it was the radical Republicans in Congress who were adamant about punishing the South? Isn't that why they impeached Johnson (for being too soft on the rebels)?

#579118 04/14/11 06:51 PM
My understanding is that it was the radical Republicans who wanted to punish the South.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,974
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
AndrewNolan
AndrewNolan
Pennsylvania
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star