Roll Call
0 members (), 36 Murran Spies, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:05 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:04 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:02 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17
Re: Lost: The Final Season
#582502 05/28/10 09:02 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Well, for all we know Michael may have already "gone into the light", thus explaining why he wasn't in the flash-sideways.

I'm not sure the "not ready yet" necessarily had anything to do with being punished more either. It's not like Ana Lucia is suffering in the flash-sideways or something (at least from what we saw).

I like to imagine that the freighter folk all had their own get-together in which they left together. Maybe Michael is a part of that?

#582503 05/28/10 09:19 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I think the church reunion was for the folks that developed a bond through the crash of Oceanic 815.. That would include Desmond, seeing as he spent so much time with the group. But the Tailies (aside from Bernard) didn't spend much time with our cast.

Michael - for his part in the show- didn't spend much time with the group. He readily turned them over to the Others (granted to save his son.) Ditto Walt, he spent even less time developing a bond with anyone but Locke. While Walt could find his own church, Michael's fate seems appropo.

The only Freighter Four to really get attached to our cast would be Miles. And he's not exactly the type to get emotional. He's appearance in the Sideways was probably more Sawyer's creation than Miles' wish fulfillment.

Just spouting off.
#582504 05/28/10 09:51 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by doublechinner:
There's no doubt, in the end, that MIB was worse than Jacob, but Jacob was hardly a saint, and I think the character himself would agree with that. He allowed and orchestrated the deaths of countless innocents.
That was something else that kinda bugged/confused me about this season too actually.

I was hoping someone would finally call Jacob out for being the ruthless, selfish 'I must protect my precious Island no matter how many people I must get killed to do it' a-hole he was. (Seriously - why bother stopping MiB from escaping and killing everyone off the Island when Jacob kept kindapping people and bringing them to the Island to die himself?) But no one ever did. He was a total hypocrite. I will agree with CK that the actor who played him did a good job of portraying his world-weary fatigue quite well though.

While I'm on a criticism roll (Geez - you'd think I hadn't loved the show and its finale as much as I did from what I'm writing! laugh ) one thing that the writers failed to do IMO was present a compelling reason as to WHAT was so gosh-darn special about the Island and WHY Jack (or anyone else) felt the need to sacrifice himself for it.

I get that it has some vague healing powers that come and go. And there was a light at the centre of it. And... was that it? Everything else we saw of the Island made it seem like a nightmare. As Charlotte said - "This place is death!" So why did Jack or Hurley or even Ben want to protect the place so bad? Jacob just did so because his 'Mother' told him to (which was the crappiest of reasons and part of my problem with the 'Across the Sea' episode) but we never really got what it was any of them were meant to protect.

#582505 05/28/10 09:59 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
EDE & CJT - From a story-telling point of view, I believe you are right and that's what the writers intended for us to think is what happened with those characters. And I can get behind that as far as that goes.

But as a viewer who had invested just as much interest/emotion in those characters as I had the ones in the church (I mean some of those characters have been main cast members for three seasons now) I felt a bit cheated that we didn't get to see them go off to their 'happy reward' like we did the others.

And I especially didn't think Eloise Hawking deserved to spend any extra time with her son in the alt-verse after all the blood she had on her hands.

So yeah - that's more of a 'me as a viewer' complaint than a Lost-fault complaint.

#582506 05/28/10 09:59 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Blacula:

P.S. Did you hear that the DVD apparently has extra goodness of Hurley and Ben during their Island protector years? And Walt apparently plays a part in it? (Coming looking for his Dad I bet.) That DVD is a total must-own for me now!
This sounds really awesome, by the way!

I actually kind of wish we'd gotten the rumored "episode set in the future" with Aaron and Ji Yeon on the island.

#582507 05/28/10 10:00 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Oh, and most annoying absence in the church:

Where the heck was Vincent!?!?!?!

#582508 05/28/10 10:06 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^ All Dogs Go (Straight) To Heaven. laugh

#582509 05/28/10 02:31 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
Eryk Davis Ester:

Where the heck was Vincent!?!?!?!
Still alive. He'll live forever.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#582510 05/28/10 02:32 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Vincent = The New Richard Alpert?

I like!

#582511 05/28/10 02:39 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Vincent took over from Hurley when Hurley was done watching over the island!

#582512 05/28/10 02:44 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Actually, if Blacula is right about the Walt-returning-to-the-island story on the DVDs, I hope we'll see a groovy reunion with Vincent!

#582513 05/28/10 05:09 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
i have a question about the MiB 'becoming' the SMOKE MONSTER !

as we are lead to believe that the statue and the temple etc pre-date JACOB and the MiB being born on the island, my question relates to the scene where BEN goes in the temples tunnels and see the hiros on the walls ( they show the statue opposite the SM on one panel )

so do we presume that the SM was there before JACOB and MiB being born, but it was 'trapped' in the LIGHT, but when JACOB threw MiB into the light, this released the SM and the MiB 'became' a new version of the SM ?????

Matthew.

#582514 05/28/10 09:45 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^ Hi Matthew. Long time!

It is my opinion that yes, the smoke monster pre-dates Jacob and his brother (the MiB) and was trapped in/by the bright light at the centre of the island.

When Jacob killed his brother and pushed him into the cave this released the smoke monster and it thenceforth just took the form of Jacob's brother. And later other people, including Locke.

I feel that's the only way to give the 'Across the Sea' episode any value since everything else revealed in it was essentially stuff we already knew.

But as with everything else 'Lost' it is somewhat open to interpretation so other people will probably have different theories.

#582515 05/28/10 11:09 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Blacula:
^
It is my opinion that yes, the smoke monster pre-dates Jacob and his brother (the MiB) and was trapped in/by the bright light at the centre of the island.

When Jacob killed his brother and pushed him into the cave this released the smoke monster and it thenceforth just took the form of Jacob's brother..
My theory is that when MIB entered the bright light he became the smoke monster, because Mother told MIB and Jacob that they could not kill each other so he didnt die when he went in...he was transformed. Ben asked why if he didnt need to walk why bother and MIB responded it reminds me that i was once human. That would mean its definately MIB and not some sentient smoke monster.
I believe the Statue was created by MIB and Jacob's real mothers, people, its also possible that they also built the temple but not to ward off the smoke monster but for their own religious purposes.

#582516 05/28/10 11:12 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
There may have been multiple smoke monsters as well, just as there have been multiple "Jacobs".

#582517 05/29/10 02:37 AM
Active
Active
nah
nothing indicates that

#582518 05/29/10 08:45 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Watched the replay tonight. Cried again during the scene with Charlie, Claire and Aaron. Teared up during Jack final scenes when I didn't originally. Guess my mind was too busy processing the first time.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#582519 05/30/10 08:57 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The more I think about the finale, the less I like it.

I think this article covers why pretty well.

I also didn't like how Sawyer and Kate's relationship got derailed at the last minute.

ETA: And don't get me started on Shannon being more important to Sayid than Nadia. The guy's life revolved around Nadia! I mean, I never cared about his relationships, but that was so obvious. He never even mentioned Shannon after she died. He was all about Nadia.

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#582520 05/30/10 09:09 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Arachne:
I also didn't like how Sawyer and Kate's relationship got derailed at the last minute.
I thought Sawyer and Juleit made a great couple, myself. I know Sawyer felt some stirrings when Kate returned, but his grief over her death showed me how deeply he felt about Juliet.

I guess the problem with some fans was that so much with them happened offscreen during the "3-year gap", but everything that happened before and after it really sold it for me.

Sawyer and Kate had a great connection, but I never really felt the love as much as I did the attraction and chemistry.

Yes, I've admittedly always been more in the "Jate" camp. I guess it's because their scenes always had more of a subtext to them in my mind that was less in your face. I liked the scenes that depicted their brief romance and engagement after their rescue. But I wasn't in the least surprised to see it turn sour.

I think there were just too many flaws in either pairing for either relationship to ever potentially last forever. I wouldn't be surprised if Kate and Sawyer tried to make it work after they returned from the island. I also fully expect it didn't last long.

So really neither one really got Kate. Even in the afterlife, things didn't look particularly romantic between Jack and Kate as it did with the other reunited couples. They were happy to be together, but it looked more like two very close friends seeing one another after a very long separation than anything else.

My take on the series' core romantic triangle, anyway...for what it's worth.

#582521 05/30/10 09:16 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Maybe Kate hooked up with Frank post-Island? wink

#582522 05/30/10 09:19 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'd like to think Frank went on to have numerous more adventures!

Talk about a character that went from 'very likely to die' to being one of the most likable characters during the entire show.

#582523 05/30/10 09:22 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
I always used to hate Jeff Fahey in any role he ever appeared in. He always seemed to overact and be high on the cheese factor. Frank Lapidus definitely changed my mind about Jeff quite a bit!

#582524 05/30/10 09:22 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I'd totally watch a Frank and Miles spinoff! wink

#582525 05/30/10 09:25 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Miles is a rich man...I'm sure he didn't forget the diamonds.

I'd love to see A Hurly and Ben show.

Frank had the best lines all season.

At one point I thought that the Island could have been Eden. Not because of the Adam and Eve thing...but for other reasons.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#582526 05/30/10 09:37 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Arachne:
The more I think about the finale, the less I like it.

I think this article covers why pretty well.
I just read the article. While it makes a lot of points very fairly, I feel that it generalizes how fans feel about how the show ended too much. Everyone interacts with this show in their own way, I feel. How each fan reacts to how the show turned out differs from fan to fan. Those that were concerned more about having every bit of mysterious minutiae spelled out were bound to be dissappointed.

To me, this show is, was and always will be about the characters and where their lives take them when they come into contact with this weird, mysterious island. As fascinating as those mysteries are, they are window dressings, conflict-stirrers and plot movers that still only served to move these characters forward.

I'm not gonna lie and swear that I didn't give a crap about those mysteries--I most certainly did! But there's always been much more of a focus in this series on getting into the heads of these characters and illuminating their motives, their pasts and their futures. If you didn't give a damn about these characters, all the mysterious happenings in creation wouldn't be enough to keep this series afloat.

I feel the series accomplished what it set out to do with these characters and brought them all to a satisfying conclusion. And, oh yeah, we did get LOTS of answers along the way to those pesky mysteries! And we have lots of reasons to continue revisiting this series in the future and continue debating those mysteries left unsolved and, most importantly, what it all meant. If that means we don't have perfect answers to all our questions, I'm still really happy.

I'm not saying that's how everone should feel, but it's how I feel. The article tends to go too far in its proselytizing, I think.

Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,213
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star