Roll Call
0 members (), 8 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 08:04 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 08:04 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 08:00 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/19/24 07:50 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 19 MAY*
by razsolo - 05/19/24 06:10 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:53 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 42 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 41 42
Re: Lightning Saga Legion in Action!
#58482 11/06/07 07:20 AM
MYG Offline
Active
Active
I'm starting to get excited about the Legion again. This seems to be the closest to the "original" LSH that I've seen in years. The Dawnstar costume looks like a variant of whatever she was wearing in her first appearence when R.J. Brande sought her out to join the Legion Academy

Long Live the Legion!!!
#58483 11/07/07 05:24 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by MYG:
I'm starting to get excited about the Legion again. This seems to be the closest to the "original" LSH that I've seen in years. The Dawnstar costume looks like a variant of whatever she was wearing in her first appearence when R.J. Brande sought her out to join the Legion Academy
I know what you mean. The JSA/JLA crossover made me buy LSH 240 to 350, the complete baxter run and the complete 5 years later run that I had sold after being so disappointed by the Archie Legion.

Dawnstar's first appearance? Wasn't it in the story with the pirate when she joins the Legion? I don't remember Dawnstar ever going to the academy. Which issue was that?

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#58484 11/07/07 08:43 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Just piping in to say I really liked the first issue of the LSH ACTION arc. I think the new outfits look awesome, how they really might have evolved over the years with those characters.

And I always enjoy seeing a modern-day artist do a rendition of the classic ADV-era outfits.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#58485 11/07/07 10:56 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally posted by Pariscub:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MYG:
[qb]

Dawnstar's first appearance? Wasn't it in the story with the pirate when she joins the Legion? I don't remember Dawnstar ever going to the academy. Which issue was that?
Wasn't Dawnstar's first appearance in the issue following Chemical King's death where Wildfire brings her in to track down his killers (the Dark
Circle I think?)

#58486 11/07/07 11:08 PM
K
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
K
No, Dawnstar was a member when Chem died, and was seen morning him in the following issue, IIRC.

:tizzles:

#58487 11/08/07 12:38 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Hee-hee... I was still slowly scrolling as I read the last post and I thought KryptonKid was saying that Dawnstar was *mooning* Chemical King after he died.

Those strange Starhaven customs...

#58488 11/08/07 09:45 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Dawnstar can moon me anytime. smile

Wait that means I'll be dead. frown (weighing my the options) It may be worth it?

#58489 11/08/07 11:25 AM
Deputy
Deputy
My main complaint (already aptly identified here) was the lame, abbreviated first meeting between Clark and the Legion. It should have been momentous, and instead rushed. I can undertand not doing the whole hazing/tryout thing, but it might have been fun to have the original 3 trying (and failing) badly to meet Clark with secret identities. Anyway, it should have been fun, and instead it was peremptory.

I also thought the Clark at the Daily Planet seens were WAY offbase. For one thing, Johns is just copying $&!^ from the Superman movie. Two, it is completely out of character with the current portrayal. Criticize Clark for being lazy, absent, unreliable, but not unlikable. Obviously, this was done to emphasize the contrast with his friends in the Legion, but it was still out of character.

The final thing that was wierd was seeing the Adventure Era costumes. I know these things are sacred around here, and I cherish them too, but I have increasingly come to regard the Adventure Era imagery as a period piece. Seeing it in a contemporary comic is...weird. After all, as someone said above, the Silver Age, Earth-1 Superman doesn't exist anymore, but all of a sudden his Legion does? Weird.

Speaking of weird, that's what Frank's art is. I can't believe people would complain about Dennis Calaro but rave about Frank. The 3 founders looked like they just left an all-night Ecstasy party or something. Man. Those eyes are SO freaky.

Having said all that, once Supes arrived in the 31C, I really enjoyed the book. Seems like an epic, important story, and John's scripting of the Legionnaires themselves was fine, and the Wildfire costume kicks nass! The red sun thing seems cool.

I don't mind the xenophobia storyline. Frankly, this is an important type of story to tell these days, and as long as Johns can wrap the message in something exciting and character-driven, I'm down with that. The prologue WAS horrific, but I think that's the point, and I loved the Twilight-Zonish irony of it. It's always been one of those interesting questions: did the Kents keep Kal-El because they were so kind, or because he LOOKED exactly human? What if he had looked like J'onn J'onzz, or that poor alien kid? Would they have loved him anyway, and hid him away, and protected him, and made Smallville accept him?

Another point is the "bright future" thing. I've always been a dissenter in the complaints about the future of the 3boot, based on actual Legion history as much as anything. Just because the Silver Age Legion had a 9 Planets Ice Cream Shop doesn't mean it was all sweetness and light, just like the real 1950s were as much about repression and suppressed fear of annihilation as they were about sock hops and panty raids. Nuclear war, alien invasions, mind-controlling dictators, murderous machines, Great Darknesses, fireballing, pervasive surveillance, economic collapse, chronic underemployment, interplanetary starvation. All were an integral part of that original Legion. The important thing is the LEGION to be hopeful and optimistic, not necessarily the larger society it lives in.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#58490 11/08/07 12:08 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Originally posted by doublechinner:
The important thing is the LEGION to be hopeful and optimistic, not necessarily the larger society it lives in.
Which they were even Five Years Later!

#58491 11/09/07 12:18 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Overall, I enjoyed the issue. My quibbles were small.

Despite the Lightning Saga euphoria of seeing the Levitz Legion back, there are more and more clear differences emerging, but that's okay. It is still ringing truer to LSH than most recent versions, and not just because of costumes.

Gary Frank's Superman does not look as robust, as demigodlike as others; the KC Superman appearing in JSA is a striking contrast to Frank's. That said, despite Frank's odd eyes, I do enjoy his style.

I was glad when the mild/meek Clark was nixed (the single best thing Byrne did), and am not a fan of the shy geek (having been in the biz myself, I cannot imagine such a person being a successful journalist at all, let alone one of a major urban paper's top journalists). But I can accept it; it's been part of the mythos so long. I have no idea what the current CK portrayal is like, and outside of All-Star Supe I'm not likely to find out.

The Brainiac robot intro seems a bitover the top to attract Kal's attention, but it made for an action-y visual, rather than just being summoned to a remote time bubble (or whatever they were calling it this issue).

I liked the flashback; since there was no secret ID, the whole secret-ID name-calling bit wouldn't have worked (the best they could have done there is imitate the scene in Foundations pt. 1 anyway).

So the first meeting was not that 247ish, but it worked, and it was enjoyable. Just as the Action annual with Mon-El was not 100% true to "Superboy's Big Brother," it worked - with enough linkage to the past and enough differentiation to offer a new take as well.

The Silver costumes are now Retro enough to work in their own right; whereas the new (post-)Levitz costumes intro'd here also worked (much better than advance art suggested). The feel of this LSH's world hints of TMK bleakness, which is appropriate for a post-Levitz-ish era as it is. You have a team that grew from teen to young adult together, and defended the galaxy against an array of threats and menaces; sooner or later one can't simply "top" the previous menace (be it Darkseid or the ultimate Trapper scheme), and eroding the socio-political support base is a logical next step in the story: How does a now-matured team fight to uphold a good that is no longer an institutional one?

A presumably artificial red sun makes perfect sense given the Lightning Saga: how else could the future truly not be safe for Superman? Obvious but clever. So why did Brainy send for Kal? Based on L-Saga comments, clearly the sun was already red... did Brainy have a way around this? Was he compromised before his disappearance?

I'm enjoying the story thus far, and look forward to more.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#58492 11/10/07 12:41 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
Overall, I enjoyed the issue. My quibbles were small.

Despite the Lightning Saga euphoria of seeing the Levitz Legion back, there are more and more clear differences emerging, but that's okay. It is still ringing truer to LSH than most recent versions, and not just because of costumes.

Gary Frank's Superman does not look as robust, as demigodlike as others; the KC Superman appearing in JSA is a striking contrast to Frank's. That said, despite Frank's odd eyes, I do enjoy his style.

I was glad when the mild/meek Clark was nixed (the single best thing Byrne did), and am not a fan of the shy geek (having been in the biz myself, I cannot imagine such a person being a successful journalist at all, let alone one of a major urban paper's top journalists). But I can accept it; it's been part of the mythos so long. I have no idea what the current CK portrayal is like, and outside of All-Star Supe I'm not likely to find out.

The Brainiac robot intro seems a bitover the top to attract Kal's attention, but it made for an action-y visual, rather than just being summoned to a remote time bubble (or whatever they were calling it this issue).

I liked the flashback; since there was no secret ID, the whole secret-ID name-calling bit wouldn't have worked (the best they could have done there is imitate the scene in Foundations pt. 1 anyway).

So the first meeting was not that 247ish, but it worked, and it was enjoyable. Just as the Action annual with Mon-El was not 100% true to "Superboy's Big Brother," it worked - with enough linkage to the past and enough differentiation to offer a new take as well.

The Silver costumes are now Retro enough to work in their own right; whereas the new (post-)Levitz costumes intro'd here also worked (much better than advance art suggested). The feel of this LSH's world hints of TMK bleakness, which is appropriate for a post-Levitz-ish era as it is. You have a team that grew from teen to young adult together, and defended the galaxy against an array of threats and menaces; sooner or later one can't simply "top" the previous menace (be it Darkseid or the ultimate Trapper scheme), and eroding the socio-political support base is a logical next step in the story: How does a now-matured team fight to uphold a good that is no longer an institutional one?

A presumably artificial red sun makes perfect sense given the Lightning Saga: how else could the future truly not be safe for Superman? Obvious but clever. So why did Brainy send for Kal? Based on L-Saga comments, clearly the sun was already red... did Brainy have a way around this? Was he compromised before his disappearance?

I'm enjoying the story thus far, and look forward to more.
Kent, I have to admit that this sums up beautifully what I think of the issue.
Even with the differences, it feels more like the Legion than what we've been reading with the Archive Legion and the Waidlegion.

I can understand the differences in the first meeting. We don't know how New Earth impacted the story.
For all we know, this Legion could come from the future of the pocket universe created by the Time Trapper. After Crisis and before Zero Hour, that was the universe that the Legion was linked to to explain Superboy's existence in SATLSH. How about a plot reversal on New Earth? Or something similar?

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#58493 11/10/07 03:14 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
While a Pocket Universe angle could make sense, I don't think it's likely.

Those who follow DC "continiuty" more closely than I have pointed out that one of the recent crises eliminated the Pocket Universe all together. If so, I can't see them restoring the pocket universe just for the Legion - especially in an era where we presumably have (and will continue to have) several dozen Earths (in other words, a Pocket U on top of the 52 woulsd be an unneccessary complication, especially since TPTB are not faithfully recreating Levitz).

Since the Pocket U is even more linked to Superbot than to LSH, I think DC is going to shy away from any usage at all (until Post-Final Ultimate Zero Crisis comes out in 2014 or 2024!)

#58494 11/14/07 05:32 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
According to Geoff Johns, (and forgive me if this has been mentioned already), the Lightning Saga Legion is the pre-crisis Legion picking up "at the close of the Baxter series" and "at the end of Crisis on Infinite Earths". When they question him about it further he says "Basically its the Legion right before Superboy was removed from their continuity".

Obviously, there's some things that won't fit that. But to me it makes pretty easy sense.

#58495 11/14/07 05:35 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Cobalt, didn't hear about "at the close of the Baxter series".

It's tough. I want the post-Crisis baxter series stuff but it can get confusing. One of the best stories (for me) was the Time Trapper battle and the reasons behind it.

#58496 11/14/07 08:47 PM
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate
The close of the Baxter series was over three years after the end of COIE. So I'd ask Johns which it really is, or maybe a time-warped combination of both.

Watching television is not an activity.
#58497 11/15/07 01:11 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Per Newsarama:

ACTION 858 Sold Out @ Diamond, New Printing Coming

Spinning out of the hit storyline “The Lightning Saga,” ACTION COMICS #858 — the first chapter of the 6-part story “Superman and The Legion of Super-Heroes” — has sold out at DC Comics and is being rushed back to press.

“It's been an absolute pleasure and an honor to be working with Gary Frank on ACTION COMIICS,” says writer Geoff Johns. “It's nice to see his dedication to Superman and his unbelievable artwork rewarded. Thanks to everyone who picked up the issue and spread the word. And thanks to DC for keeping it in print!”

ACTION COMICS #858 Second Printing (SEP078123) features a recolored version of the cover by Gary Frank and is scheduled to arrive in stores on December 5.

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#58498 11/15/07 12:35 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Sold out? Nah, the LS Legion or a Pre-Crisis type Legion can't sell comics?! wink

I don't know but I just always knew that if they returned to something more similiar to the old/original Legion it would sell like hotcakes.

#58499 11/15/07 02:35 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Wild Jorge:
Sold out? Nah, the LS Legion or a Pre-Crisis type Legion can't sell comics?! wink

I don't know but I just always knew that if they returned to something more similiar to the old/original Legion it would sell like hotcakes.
lol
Yeah, and what's even more "shocking" is there are young people who love the Legion in Action and got interested in the Legion, in general, because of Lightning Saga and the Action storyline who had never heard and/or cared about the Legion before. Imagine that! wink

#58500 11/15/07 03:55 PM
Active
Active
I finally, finally finally got my comics today - and while I usually first read the Previews catalogue and the Wizard Magazine, this time I immediately delved into the Action issue. By sheer luck, TV repeated last weeks game of my favorite club Stuttgart beating the crap out of my most hated club Bayern Munich, so that was a nice feature in the background while reading smile

I have to say it: I LOOOOOVED this book. Even the Superman part at the beginning - being very iconic in its Clark Kent approach - was interesting, and the flashback, the wonderful two-page spread (with Chemical King missing!!!) and the part in the future were brilliant. I very much liked the surprise ending - the sun being red - thus immediately making Superman a more interesting character. Wow!

I liked Colossal Boys new costume, did not care that much for Wildfires new suit.

All in all: I am very very optimistic that not only will the classic Legion be returning, but that it will be in a very swell storyline which is brilliantly drawn to boot. Excellent!

My special love for dystopian future scenarios seems to get satisfied as well. So... when they HAVE to leave 5YL out of the new continuity, why not just do a new 5YL or 10YL - it's a logical conclusion.

I am very happy to hear that this issue has sold out, by the way. Makes me even more optimistic that the classic Legions return will not just be for one event... but maybe... for a permanent stint a la JSA.

Just happy. Going to read the rest of my comics now...

#58501 11/15/07 04:29 PM
Active
Active
I knew you'd love it, Chem! wink laugh
A regular series with that Legion has GOTTA be around the corner!

#58502 11/15/07 04:55 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper

...and to all those who say/said a Levitz-esque Legion would only be pandering to a handful of old fogies, I most heartily say...

<span style="font-size: 30px;">Bah!</span>

...and...

I told you so!

#58503 11/15/07 05:08 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
[b]Sold out? Nah, the LS Legion or a Pre-Crisis type Legion can't sell comics?! wink

...and to all tohse who say/said a Levitz-esque Legion would only be pandering to a handful of old fogies, I most heartily say...

<span style="font-size: 30px;">Bah!</span>

...and...

I told you so! [/b]
Amen!

Guys, is it a 6-part or a 4-part storyline in Action?

#58504 11/15/07 05:15 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Okay, well, then, let's try a little mental exercise.

Let's say Geoff Johns and Brad Meltzer wrote the Lightning Saga, and Johns wrote this arc of Action Comics, using the threeboot Legion instead of the revival version we're actually getting.

Would it still be as good, or not?

How well would the following people like it, compared to how well they like what we did get:

- you?
- someone who's never heard of the Legion before?
- someone who's heard of the Legion but never actually read any Legion comics?
- old-school Legion fans in general?
- younger Legion fans?

When we're dividing up the credit for how well this comic has succeeded, how much should go to:
- the fact that it's any Legion at all
- the fact that it's *this* Legion
- the fact that it's Geoff Johns, Gary Frank, and Action Comics?

#58505 11/15/07 05:28 PM
Active
Active
I know I'd buy it, I'd definitely like the art and if the story was similar (not sure how that would work, red sun and all) I'd also like the story.
It's not the same though, because the Legion appearing in Action is not the current one. Different dynamics, different premise, different characterization, that may appeal to different groups.
I hope people who never read the Legion before would pick it up too. Would it be a sold-out if the current Legion starred in it? That can't really be calculated, can it?
Personally, I'd be happy with any Legion book being a sold-out, anyway.
But yes, I believe older fans who clamor for the return of "that" Legion bought Action because there was "that" Legion in it.
Maybe fans who also buy comics for their possible collectability got Action for speculative reasons, if they felt it was some sort of "first appearance blah blah".

#58506 11/16/07 08:25 AM
Active
Active
I'm going to think about your questions, Matthew, but the first thing that comes to my mind is that there actually WAS a crossover with the Threeboot Legion recently - Brave and the Bold ##5-6 - and as far as I know, that book, even with art by Mister George Perez himself, didn't do half as good as the Action Comics issue...

So we have a little bit of a comparision coming. Of course, the BatB storyline was half over when the Legion appeared, but still, it should have commanded a similar demand... or shouldn'tn it?

It did not... so what does this say about Threeboot vs. Classic Legion...?

Page 12 of 42 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 41 42

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,464
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
hepcatfox boy, Superboy-Supergirl
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star