Roll Call
1 members (thoth lad, thoth lad, thoth lad), 40 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/09/24 03:29 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:19 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:04 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 68 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 67 68
Re: So what are you READING?
#588075 08/24/05 12:21 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Caroline, if you like werewolf books, one that I really enjoyed was St. Peter\'s Wolf by Michael Cadnum. it's set in San Francisco in the 1990's. Cadnum makes the werewolf a somewhat noble and free creature, who is only really vicious during the first few months of his transformation, before he gets control over his new powers.

#588076 08/24/05 12:56 PM
Active
Active
smile Wow, thanks so much Semi. I will definitely have to get this one.

#588077 08/30/05 12:57 PM
Reservist
Reservist
I just finished Wicked ,and liked it a great deal. Also, the new Star Wars, The Joiner King, it was an enjoyable fast read if not riveting. Now am on to the second book of the triology of The Victorian Age series from White Wolf, can't think of the name of the book at the moment...

I just can't BLOK it out!
#588078 08/30/05 04:39 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I finished Olympos by Dan Simmons last night. Wow! What a tour de force. Simmons imagination is so rich. Why can't epics like this be made into movies? I highly recommend this two book series. The first is Illium. Olympos goes way beyond Illium, but it all makes sense.

#588079 09/01/05 06:26 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm totally hooked on the Southern Vampire Chronicles by Charlaine Harris. Great guilty pleasure stuff and one of the most plausible depictions of life as a telepath I've read. It's got some pretty sexy vampires, too. sigh Eric... love

And it's got a werecollie, which has got to count for something.

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#588080 09/01/05 07:44 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Arachne:
[QBAnd it's got a werecollie, which has got to count for something.[/QB]
Well it counts for a lot with this collie lover. Tell me about the werecollie. Is it a man that turns into a collie, or a collie that turns into a werebeast?

#588081 09/01/05 07:50 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I don't know if this fits into the "highbrow" stuff that everyone else is in to, but i am (re)reading a Stephen King book called "Insomnia" - nice plot...if ever a movie about it came on TV, maybe the sponsors could insert random coffee commercials...coz it (the book) certainly kept me up at nights...

#588082 09/02/05 07:01 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
Well it counts for a lot with this collie lover. Tell me about the werecollie. Is it a man that turns into a collie, or a collie that turns into a werebeast?
His name's Sam, and he owns the bar where Sookie (the main character) works. He can actually change into any animal, but he prefers being a collie. He has to change during the fulll moon whether he likes it or not. He's also a potential love interest for Sookie. If this were real life I'd say he was perfect for her, but this is fiction and I find Sookies relationship with Eric more interesting. Maybe she could hook up with Sam in the last book. smile

#588083 09/02/05 07:12 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Who here is a Harry Potter fan?

#588084 09/06/05 02:35 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
legionadventureman, I've only read the first book but I realy dug it. My gf has read all of them except the latest. I love the films and plan to read the rest!

Since my last post I read the Seville Communion. As a big fan of the city Seville -probably my favorite city ever(Napoleon Dynamite voice)- I realy enjoyed it. Shitty ending but ohwell.

I am currently reading The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson.

It belonged to a friend of mine who basically told me I had to read it. It's ok...lots of historical details about 1890s Chicago...including the serial killer H.H. Holmes. After that reading the History of the Basques...and then hopefully a Harry Potter.

#588085 09/06/05 06:02 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Jorg-EM:
legionadventureman, I've only read the first book but I realy dug it. My gf has read all of them except the latest. I love the films and plan to read the rest!

Since my last post I read the Seville Communion. As a big fan of the city Seville -probably my favorite city ever(Napoleon Dynamite voice)- I realy enjoyed it. Shitty ending but oh well. [QB]

Good to hear, Jorg, reading (and posting on Legion World, natch) is among my favourite past-times...From Agatha Christie to Virginia Andrews, i suppose i do have eclectic tastes in literature...as do you, i see.

I am currently reading The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson.

It belonged to a friend of mine who basically told me I had to read it. It's ok...lots of historical details about 1890s Chicago...including the serial killer H.H. Holmes. After that reading the History of the Basques...and then hopefully a Harry Potter.

#588086 09/06/05 06:10 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Good to hear, Jorg, reading (and posting on Legion World, natch) is among my favourite past-times...From Agatha Christie to Virginia Andrews, i suppose i do have eclectic tastes in literature...as do you, i see.

#588087 09/06/05 07:55 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Arachne:
I'm totally hooked on the Southern Vampire Chronicles by Charlaine Harris.
You're welcome, Arachne dear wink

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#588088 09/07/05 06:34 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
rotflmao

I will find a way to pay you back. tongue

#588089 09/12/05 03:32 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Read four Greg Rucka novels in a row, all featuring a character named Atticus Kodiak. Good adventure stories. I think I've read all of Rucka's novels now.

Now I've started a collection of Banjo Patterson's writings - he's the guy who wrote "Waltzing Matilda" - very entertaining. I never know Merino sheep were so nasty....in addition to chronciling life in the Australian Outback, he also wrote about the Boer War and horse racing.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#588090 09/19/05 12:59 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm reading Kazuo Ishiguro's "Never Let Me Go."

#588091 09/19/05 01:36 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Read four Greg Rucka novels in a row, all featuring a character named Atticus Kodiak. Good adventure stories. I think I've read all of Rucka's novels now.

Now I've started a collection of Banjo Patterson's writings - he's the guy who wrote "Waltzing Matilda" - very entertaining. I never know Merino sheep were so nasty....in addition to chronciling life in the Australian Outback, he also wrote about the Boer War and horse racing.
aaaaah Banjo, Banjo, Banjo. I highly recommend reading "The Illalong Children" if you get a chance. My mother read it to me when I was a kid. Its an Autobiographical book that he wrote for his Grandaughters all about his childhood. Also, "The Man from Snowy river" seems to be what he's most well known for in the states.

oddly enough about an hour, hour and a half's drive from where I live is the "Big Merrino" which is, yes, A big Merrino. Its made out of concrete. It has a gift shop....they built it in the eighties. if I recall correctly there was once a wool museum of some sort in the head. Australia has a habit of building "Big Things"....like the Big Bananana, The Big Pineapple, And the Big Rocking Horse which is out LAM's way. Closer to me then the Big Merrino is A big Oyster. Also theres a Big "Ayers Rock" (Uluru) about 45mins out of town, which isnt that big at all if you've actually seen Uluru. it was conceived as a tourist park (also back in the eighties) by the "Leland Brothers" who were dinky-die Aussies with their own nature show. like steve Irwin but less Cringe Worthy. or more (I havent decided as yet). Now its used to house stuff Im assuming. And theres a Gas Station.

What am I reading though? Today its "Something else else Rotten" by Jasper Fforde...the fourth in the "Thursday Next - literary detective" Series. these books are a hoot for anyone who has ever taken English as a subject and actually enjoyed it...Sort of Harry Potter for Smart People. "The Ayre Affair" - the first book is my favorite, though "Lost in a Good is Book" (#2) is pretty good. "The Well of Lost plots" is sort of....meh. Anywho. Thats my little rant for the day.

Remember : It's not technically a suckerpunch if you yell ''DEFEND YOURSELF SPROCKER!'' two seconds before you let him have it.
#588092 09/19/05 03:02 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Hey Joe Boy, I love Jasper Fforde too, though since I am not much of a classics reader I don't get half of the stuff. I do enjoy reading them though.

No new books for me. Nothing has really captured my interest.

#588093 09/19/05 10:23 PM
Active
Active
I've just finished the first 100 pages of John Irving's 700+ page latest novel, Until I Find You.

#588094 09/20/05 06:43 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by RTVU2:
Hey Joe Boy, I love Jasper Fforde too, though since I am not much of a classics reader I don't get half of the stuff. I do enjoy reading them though.

No new books for me. Nothing has really captured my interest.
My Mother is an English Teacher...I developed a love of the Classics By Proxy.

Remember : It's not technically a suckerpunch if you yell ''DEFEND YOURSELF SPROCKER!'' two seconds before you let him have it.
#588095 09/20/05 07:07 AM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
Classics are awesome, I am quite partial to Dickens myself.

And I'm about halfway through Goodkind's "stone of Tears"

#588096 09/20/05 08:39 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Finally caught up on all my Star Wars books, so I decided to ask my Dad about some of the books he's read over the years that he really enjoyed.

His first response was the Travis McGee novels by John MacDonald. It's about a 1960's Gum Shoe type who lives in Florida on a house boat named the "Busted Flush". Named for the poker hand in which he won it.

There's about 20 novels in all... and I read the first one, The Deep Blue Good By, about a week ago at the beach (winds out of the NE made the Atlantic too choppy for swimming). Given that the book was set in Florida over 40 years ago, it was a pretty good window into the society of the time. I was pleasantly surprised at how good of writer MacDonald really was. I didn't think my dad would recommend a bad book, but I wasn't sure he'd hit my tastes either.

Also read Velocity by Dean Koontz... picked it up in the bargain bin about 1.5 months ago. Didn't know a thing about it other than I'd enjoyed some of Koontz's other novels. This was a nice quick beach read also. Hooked me from the first page with a nice little neighbor vs. neighbor story and went from there. There are points where the book lives up to it's name... I couldn't wait to turn the page and see what happened next... actually felt the heart racing a few times while reading it. Not a classic literature work by any stretch... I'd probably call it an extremely good "popcorn" book.

Also re-read Lightning by Koontz too. It had been about 15 years and I didn't remember too much about it. This was another good book. Koontz has a great way of making the reader identify with characters... or at least care about them. As long as he stays away from hokey "spiritual" themes, I really enjoy his books.

Something Filthy!
#588097 09/23/05 09:02 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm way behind on Harry Potter books, so I'm just now reading The Chamber of Secrets.

Dan
#588098 09/23/05 09:24 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Do the movies follow the plot of each book, word-for-word, Dan?

#588099 09/24/05 07:10 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I just read THE FURIES OF CALDERON by Jim Butcher. It's a fantasy title set on another world where the human characters live in a society based on ancient Rome.

The magic involved is that of the elements- earth, fire, air, water, wood and metal. The various uses of elemental-control are really well-presented and show how superheroes with similar abilites could be used way more powerfully.

The nonhuman population of this world live in a clan system with strong, possibly supernatural, bonds to animals. The clash of cultures is a central part of the story.

Well worth a read if you enjoy parallel histories, intricate magical fantasy or CLAN OF THE CAVE BEAR type stories.

I don't know this, but I *think* it's heading towards a lost colony sort of fusion between fantasy and SF, like Darkover or Pern. A subgenre that's a particular favorite of mine, when done well.

Page 18 of 68 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 67 68

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,227
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Not-So-Bad Lad
Not-So-Bad Lad
The Evil Anti-Moon!!!!
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star