Roll Call
0 members (), 34 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/09/24 03:29 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:19 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:04 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 23 of 68 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 67 68
Re: So what are you READING?
#588200 04/16/06 04:45 PM
Active
Active
The Hobbit, for my Brit Lit II class... Yes indeed. This has led to me starting the Lord of the Rings, again, which I've actually never finished. Having blazed thru Chaucer and Beowulf and Keets the last two semesters, this is a cake walk now. lol

Have a list of books in my que:
Abolition of Manby C.S. Lewis
Maximum Bobby Elmore Leonard
and a Groucho Marx biography, authors name not being remembered right now.

-Nick-

Is Civil War over with yet?
#588201 04/16/06 05:15 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
i just finished "ender's game" and "a heartbreaking work of staggering genuis" on vacation.

loved ender's game but it took about 100 pages to get going.

"ahwosg" was the worst book i ever read, i hated it, hated. yet i read the whole thing. ugh.

i need a new book now.

#588202 04/16/06 06:13 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I recently bought "The Historian", by Elizabeth Kostova(what can i say, i'm a big horror/mystery fan). It will probably take me forever to finish it.

#588203 04/16/06 07:56 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by disaster boy:
"ahwosg" was the worst book i ever read, i hated it, hated. yet i read the whole thing. ugh.

i need a new book now.
I felt that way while reading 'Soft Machine' by Burroughs. It wasnt necessarily the worst book, but man... i had to fight to finish. Every page I found myself saying "What the Heck is going on here? Why am I reading this?" and yet I still finished.

I read that book on the recommendation of Warren Ellis. That man lied to me. lol

-Nick-

#588204 04/16/06 09:37 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by disaster boy:
i just finished "ender's game" and "a heartbreaking work of staggering genuis" on vacation.

loved ender's game but it took about 100 pages to get going.

i need a new book now.
I really loved the book the first time I read it and now I can't stand it. Most pretenious, self invloved, egotistical thing I have ever read.

Currently I have two books in the pipeline...

'The Kite Runner' and 'Extremely Loud and Incredibly CLose'. Any comments?

#588205 04/28/06 11:58 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I'm re reading the Philip Marlowe books by Raymond Chandler. I haven't read them in about four or five years and so am really enjoying them so far.
For those who are interested, the stories are told in the first person by a Private Detective (named Philip Marlowe)operating in 1930s L.A. They are very well written and all of the clues needed to solve the case are given in the story. So you don't feel cheated by some out of the blue ending, and (I imagine) feel quite smug when you do manage to solve them before Marlowe (I never have).
There are seven novels and quite a few short stories in the series, but you're better to stick with the novels if you want to try them because, the short stories were published in "Pulp" magazines and were written as different characters - they were renamed as Marlowe for the collected editions.
I'm reading them in chronilogical order and am only in the second one:Farewell My Lovely.
Jack O'Halloran,who played Non,in Superman II makes his first big screen appearance in the 1975 film version as Moose Malloy, which led to him being offered the part as Non.(some comics related trivia for you).
I really can't recomend these books enough. It's not just a load of macho, misogynistic c**p, as it sometimes seems to be perceived. Marlowe is a fully rounded,honourable character,with a code of ethics that most would consider old fashioned, in this cynical world.
Some of the language used to describe people and places, in the books, is very memorable, even poetic. Here are some examples:
"The minutes went by on tiptoe, with their fingers to their lips."
"The sunshine was as empty as a headwaiter's smile."
"They say lust makes a man old, but keeps a woman young. They say a lot of nonsense."
and,finaly:
"The purring voice was now as false as an usherette's eyelashes and as slippery as a watermelon seed."
If you want to find out more there is a very informative entry for Philip Marlowe in the "Wikipedia" which not only talks about the books but also tells you about the films, radio and comic versions. I can't remember the web address off hand but I'm sure you'll have no problem finding it.
The first novel is called "The Big Sleep". I really hope you give it a try. Get in touch and tell me how you got on.
Next time I'll tell you about P.G. Wodehouse.

Be lucky
#588206 04/28/06 12:22 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
That's the second Wodehouse mention in this thread in... well, okay, a little over a month. Nice.

#588207 04/28/06 01:31 PM
Magically Delicious
Magically Delicious
Kite Runner opinion, as requested: The prose is simple and straightforward. At first, I was very moved by the story and interested by the description of life in Afghanistan (particularly the kite game from which the title is derived)... however, I was ultimately disappointed because a large number of coincidences piled up, such that my ability to suspend disbelief was stretched too far.

I am currently reading two things:

The Fabric of the Cosmos, by physicist Brian Greene... one of those non-fiction books describing the evolution of modern cosmology and the search for one unifying theory of everything, in plain language that even I can understand; and

My Lucky Star: Joe Keenan: as with many comic novelists, the author has been compared to Wodehouse (make it THREE mentions), but so far he is the only one that makes me laugh out loud to the same extent... and I mean he REALLY makes me laugh out loud. He was a writer for "Frasier." His best book is "Blue Heaven."

Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!
#588208 04/28/06 02:01 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Just finsihed 'Extremely Loud...'

This kid has turned book raeding into an adverture and interactive. You really feel that you are living the life of the characters. He draws you in not only with the words but what he leaves out. The book is so different from others I have read. I can understand why he has gotten so many kudos for his style, which is very orginal. This book about lost and grief is handled in such a touching manner wihtout being cloying. I really love this book and am look forward to seeing what he has in store next.

#588209 04/28/06 02:01 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Let's keep it on a Wodehouse run: re-reading Sunset at Blandings. I hardly reread anything anymore, but Lord Emsworth and the Empress of Blandings are like old friends. (It was Matthew's initial post that made me think of going back to Blandings.)

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#588210 04/28/06 03:45 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
'Sunset at Blandings' is one of the rare Wodehouses I've never read. I've had the chance to; I've just stayed away from it because Wodehouse never really finished it.

#588211 04/29/06 03:38 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I re-read Ukridge lately. I know it's a short story anthology,so probably doesn't count as a book, but it's definitely one of my all time favorite reads. I read through it when ever I feel a bit low and it always cheers me up.
Has anyone read Azazel by Isaac Asimov. It's a collection of short stories about a guy who is always granted wishes by a two centimetre tall imp called (you guessed it) Azazel. He can only make a wish to help some-one else but they always turn out wrong.
As Asimov says in his introduction:
"...if you occasionally detect the faint influence of P.G. Wodehouse, believe me, that's not accidental."
While we're on the subject, what do the rest of you think of the Granada TV version of Jeeves and Wooster, that starred Hugh Laurie as Bertie and Stephen Fry as Jeeves? For myself every time I read a Bertie book now I can't imagine anyone else as our heroes. It was only a shame they couldn't get the same cast to play the parts throughout all four series. The first guy to play Gussie was perfect but then they changed him. The same thing with Aunt Dahlia. Spode was the same throughout though and was spot on.

Be lucky
#588212 05/01/06 06:56 AM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I like Laurie and Fry, but my wife and father-in-law don't like Fry as Jeeves. They think Jeeves needs to be older. I disagree.

I think I've read some of the Azazel stories, at least, but I don't remember them very well. I've read Ukridge, but a long time ago; he's my least favourite recurring Wodehouse character.

#588213 05/01/06 07:45 AM
Deputy
Deputy
How about now? They were made about 15 years ago. Do they think he's grown into it? In fact, anybody else have any ideas on who would play the parts these days?
I think Colin Baker (the sixth Doctor Who) would be an interesting Jeeves. I've no real thoughts on who would play Bertie...give me time to think about it.
Brainiac 5 and Invisible Kid as a Legion version. The Kid has a talent for saying the wrong thing, although Brainy is WAY too arrogant. Still, it's an interesting idea.
As for Ukridge, I always envisaged him as Ronnie Barker, in a wig and glasses.

Be lucky
#588214 05/02/06 07:56 AM
Leader
Leader
Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire - Sequel to "Wicked" (book and musical)
Its Neat smile

Remember : It's not technically a suckerpunch if you yell ''DEFEND YOURSELF SPROCKER!'' two seconds before you let him have it.
#588215 05/02/06 08:12 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I am reading One Hundred Years of Soltitude.

Interesting book so far....

#588216 05/04/06 06:59 PM
Active
Active
Spiritual Authority by Watchman Nee.

Really great read, if you are into Christian Theology in the slightest.

-Nick-

#588217 05/12/06 02:00 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I recently finished "The Tipping Point" which is an examination of how small events can trigger major trends/phenomena. It's not about money. It's about obvious things like fashion, but also about how the crime rate in NY dropped dramatically in the 90's.

It really makes you think about your role in society.

#588218 05/17/06 07:13 PM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
currently reading "winter's Heart" by Robert Jordan, standard fantasy fare, though a bit long winded

#588219 05/17/06 07:24 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Sat down and read The DaVinci Code in two days. Been putting it off as I've read all of Brown's other work. Have to say, while a good read, it was no where near as good as the first book in the Langdon trilogy, Angels and Demons.

#588220 05/19/06 08:05 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I enjoyed DaVinci Code last month when I read it.

Going back a couple of weeks, if you liked Ender's Game I highly recommend Speaker for the Dead. As good as science fiction gets.

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!
#588221 05/26/06 03:44 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I don't know if this counts as "reading", as it's more a coffee table type of book, but I've just got The Encyclopedia Of Urban Legends by Jan Harold Brunvand.

It gives a quick recap/description of each story and makes suggestions as to where they came from or how they developed. It's really good.

I've just been flicking through it to see if it has the stories I know and it has, of course, got "The Hook!"

And if you don't know the story of the Hook, then shame on you.

Be lucky
#588222 06/01/06 09:06 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Let's try this again... lost my first attempt when the server went down frown .

Books that I've read since last February (my last time on this thread).

Nightmare in Pink by John D. MacDonald
X-Wing #1: Rogue Squadron by Michael Stackpole
Last of the Jedi #4: Death on Naboo by Jude Watson
X-Wing #2: Wedge's Gamble by Michael Stackpole
Out of Sight by Elmore Leonard
Dragonback #1: Dragon and Thief by Timothy Zahn
The Legend of Drizzt: Homeland by R A Salvatore
Holes by Louis Sacher
Oops... almost forgot (and sometimes wish I could)
Creature by John Saul

Since I've read so many Star Wars books over the past couple of years I have a hard time remembering specifics. I tend to remember whether I liked the book or not. Suffice to say, I liked these books.

Of the non-SW books I read... Homeland really shined. Salvatore knows how to write... period. I liked Homeland so much that I started buying the rest of the series sight unseen. I plan to enjoy the rest of Drizzt's tale over the next several years. If you're interested its a fantasy novel about a Drow (dark) Elf. There's plenty of sword play (and fight), monsters, magic, intrigue (both family and political), soul searching, revelations, as well as friends and enemies. If you're a fan of good story tellers, you could do a lot worse than R A Salvatore.

Out of Sight I read because I wanted to give Elmore Leonard a try and I wanted to contrast it to the movie. A lot of the dialogue from the movie came straight from the book, but there are some subtle differences between the book and movie, that by the end of the book, the differences aren't that subtle anymore. All in all I have to say the movie works better for me than the book. The book's end is completely different from the movie and that's because of the subtle differences introduced at the beginning of the story. So I try to look at the book separate from the movie and it's still a good read, but not great.

Nightmare in Pink is the second in the Travis McGee detective/rogue series. Think of these as old time noir stories set in 1960's Florida. So far the first two books have been great, quick reads. MacDonald just draws me in... I don't know why, but I remember more from his books than any other books that I read. His dialogue is great, his action is vivid, and I find myself actively rooting for the characters... blood pumping and heart beating... thinking to myself, "You get 'em Trav. You get 'em good for what they done to you." Most books don't draw me in this way.

Dragon and Thief has a novel premise to it that some young Sci Fi readers might dig. Apparently there's a race of (Space) Dragons that need a human host to survive. The catch is that the dragon can become two dimensional and live on the host as a "tattoo" with the dragon becoming three dimensional at the dragon's liesure. I found this book at the library in the regular fiction aisle, but it should have been in the young adults. The plot was great... if you're 13 to 14 and haven't seen it done yet. Even so, I didn't realize it was youth oriented until I was about 50 pages into it and Zahn is a good enough writer that I'll probably track down the rest of the series someday.

Creature wasn't awful but it wasn't good either. It certainly wasn't up to the standards of books I've enjoyed in the past. I'll leave my thoughts at that... if you can't say anything nice and so on.

Holes was a good read for a young adult. I found my mind wandering, but I could see why kids would get a kick out of it. Maybe it was just too sophisticated for me smile .

Up next... I've got many Drizzt books to get through... gonna try and find time for Tim Zahn's Cobra Trilogy and The Icarus Hunt... Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton is reportedly (by my dad and sister) a great book... Of course I've got all of the latest Star Wars to get through and a score of other authors that my dad and sister like... like Gordon Dickson, Keith Laumer, Anne McCaffrey, Orson Scott Card to name just a few... I may never watch TV again.

Something Filthy!
#588223 06/04/06 01:05 PM
L
Wanderer
Wanderer
L
After reading Les Miserables for FOREVER I finally finished it a few months ago. Hugo did like to prattle on. Don't get me wrong - the portions of the book that were germaine to the story were excellent, but Hugo liked to take 30 pages to say something that I think could be said in 3. This might be the only book I have ever read where I would actually recommend the abridged version...

#588224 06/25/06 08:26 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I bought and readDragonsblood last night. Is anyone a Dragonriders of Pern fan?

This one was written by Anne's son, Todd McCaffrey.

Curious about other people's reaction to it.

Page 23 of 68 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 67 68

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,227
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Not-So-Bad Lad
Not-So-Bad Lad
The Evil Anti-Moon!!!!
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star