Roll Call
1 members (thoth lad, thoth lad, thoth lad), 40 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/09/24 03:29 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:19 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:04 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 25 of 68 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 67 68
Re: So what are you READING?
#588250 08/20/06 04:54 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I read Jacobs' Dark Age Ahead, which just confirmed my own thinking. frown Never got go Death & Life of Great American Cities, which is supposed to be a great book.

Keeping with the bad times theme, a fascinating book, Charlie Wilson's War by George Crile. This is the story of the man who basically armed the mujaheddin and drove the Russians out of Afghanistan. Appalling, frightening and revolting as to how government really works but holy crow! one hell of an adventure story. This guy was throwing so much money into Afghanistan that even the CIA freaked over it. What I liked was how well the author presented the thinking of Wilson and his circle, so you could see that they really thought they were doing the best thing for the world. Still, it left me feeling pretty hopeless about any remnants of democracy we may have (in terms of how public money is spent and how temporary alliances are made between various countries).

Joseph Tainter's Collapse of Complex Societies predated Jared Diamond's Collapse by over a decade. (I haven't read Collapse.) Tainter examines numerous societies, both western and eastern, and concludes that societies collapse when they can no longer afford to support their infrastructure. He also gores my ox by claiming that a return to simpler living is no solution, but I appreciate (and accept) his reasoning. Some killer graphs! and a very thoughtful, detailed analysis.

Now back to comic books!

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#588251 08/21/06 12:07 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
ok, I am about to go and retry to read Johnthon Strange and Mr Norell.

Wish me luck.

#588252 08/22/06 10:16 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I just read The Tin Flute by Gabrielle Roy. A fascinating look at an impoverished Montreal factory-neighborhood family at the outset of World War II. Highly recommended.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#588253 08/23/06 04:14 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Originally posted by rtvu2:
ok, I am about to go and retry to read Johnthon Strange and Mr Norell.

Wish me luck.
You don't need luck. It's a good book. Just stick with it.

I'm reading Martha Wells's The Gate of Gods, third in her 'Fall of Ile-Rien' trilogy. It's pretty good. Wells is probably the most underrated author in fantasy; this is her seventh good book and she's still pretty much flying under the radar.

#588254 08/23/06 05:24 PM
Active
Active
Just finished off Raymond Feist's Honoured Enemy, which was FINALLY released in the States. Good book for Riftwar fans, even if it does end suddenly.

Also read the second City of Heroes novel, The Freedom Phalanx, which was MUCH better than I expected for a shared universe book. Reminded me of the Wild Card stuff, just not as graphic.

A lot of what I've been reading is Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace books...kinda heavy on the religion but he makes a lot of sense. So much so that I'm actually excited about paying bills.

Jamie

#588255 08/23/06 10:42 PM
K
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
K
"The Mighty and the Almighty"
by Madeleine Albright

#588256 08/26/06 05:41 PM
Deputy
Deputy
The Freedom Phalanx was better than I expected it to be. I really liked the buddy-buddy relationship between Positron and Synapse.

#588257 08/30/06 10:50 PM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
Since my last post I've read

Boys Life by Roobert Mccammon
Radix by A A Attanasio
Door to December by Dean Koontz
Mr. Murder by Dean Koontz
Nemesis by Issac Asimov

Currently re-reading "Nightfall" by Issac Asimov and Robert Silverberg

#588258 09/15/06 02:50 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Books I've read since July 31, 2006 (my last post on this topic)

Let's see...

From the Forgotten Realms World
The Netheril Trilogy by Clayton Emery
1. Sword Play
2. Dangerous Games
3. Mortal Consequences

A very entertaining trilogy about a Barbarian with a stupid name (Sunbright Steelshanks). Once I got past the name I really enjoyed these books. The premise is that two bored mages bet that Sunbright will either die or survive, then they put him to tests. Everything comes back full circle by the end of the third book and Sunbright actually turns out to be a very likeable Barbarian.

Also from the Forgotten Realms...
The Finder's Stone Trilgoy by Kate Novak and her husband Jeff Grubb
1. Azure Bonds
2. The Wyvernspur
3. Song of the Saurials

Again... a very entertaining set of books. The dialogue had me snickering in spots. The authors' perspectives had me admiring thier ability to communicate ideas through their writing. And again... everything is brought full circle at the end. Highly recommended reading if you're into fantasy. I can't tell too much about the characters without giving away plot points... but the main character is a swordswoman named Alias who wakes up in an inn with no memory of the last couple months of her life. Outside her window is a strange lizard man who she promptly names Dragonbait. Throw in a halfling bard, a magician/merchant (who really wants to prove his worth as an adventurer) several nasty entities trying to control everything, a red dragon, and some nobility (who is actually the main character in the middle book) and you've got a really good story.

Also from Forgotten Realms was the book Evermeet: The Island of the Elves by Elaine Cunningham

Evermeet is not a bad book, but at the end of it I felt like I had read a history book. Which is exactly what it is. Everytime I got into the characters, she would end the story and start anew with different charaters. I didn't really connect with the characters like I did in previous books. Having said that, I think the author could have written a very good 10 full length book series based on the tales related in this book.

From the world of Classic Science Fiction I read Slan by AE Van Vogt

Not a bad book, but it was written in the late 1930's so it did seem a little dated. In discussing it with my dad (he recommeneded it in the first place), he assured me that the book was cuting edge fantastic when it first came out. Of this I can agree, but by today's standards it seemed a little trite. Even so the story is engaging just to see how sci fi has evolved over the years. The characterization is a little loose with morality and looking back at it, I was a little disappointed by the female character. She was given half of the ink for the first third of the book, but then she disappears for a good majority of the book only to make a cameo near the end. Honestly, I believe the story would have been better if it had told her story instead of the main male character's. The story itstelf is about the evolution of man and how the new species integrates/mingles with the old species.

The other two books I read were more modern day thrillers.

The one I just finished was Retribution by Jilliane Hoffman

This was a story about a Miami Assistant Prosecutor who's been given a serial killer case to try. The catch you say? What's the catch? Well it just so happens that (and I'm only giving away a minor plot spoiler here) the serial killer on trial is also the man who brutally raped her 12 years previously.

The story is about 414 pages long and is fantastic for about the first 300 to 320 pages. After that it kinda devolves into typical thriller fare with a coincidence that is so unbelievable I was shaking my head and wandering if the same author that started the book was the same auther that finished the book. Even having said that, the protaganist is easy to root for as is the male lead. Overall I'd recommend the book but just barely. Now if I won the lottery, and then by same strange twist of fate my wife won a second lottery 4 years later... then and only then would I believe in the coincidence that drives this book at the end.

And finally... the best for last:
Rules of Prey by John Sanford

It's a typical male cop chases serial killer plot, but this one stands out. It plays more like a macabre chess game where you're not sure who is the better human being at the end. The main character, Lucas Davenport (the cop), is written with a little more depth to his character than most other fictional cops. The killer is smart, the cop's girl friend is smart (and kinda nasty too, but with a heart kinda nasty... she's scrumpcious), the surviving victim is smart... and the book had my heart racing at some places. I just couldn't put it down. That's when I know I've got a great book in my hands.

Something Filthy!
#588259 09/15/06 04:53 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
If you liked The Wyvern's Spur, you might just like the books of P.G. Wodehouse, which were a big, big influence on TWS. Most of Giogi's family, especially including Giogi himself, is straight out of Wodehouse (specifically the Jeeves and Bertie Wooster books). Now, we're talking comedy/romantic comedy with Wodehouse, not fantasy/adventure, so conduct yourself accordingly.

Me? I'm halfway through Steven Brust's Dzur, latest in the Vlad Taltos series.

And I'm gonna have to check out this Freedom Phalanx stuff... (I'm compiling a list of all the superhero novels I haven't read yet).

#588260 09/16/06 12:02 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Been reading the Green Sky Trilogy by Zilpha Keatley Snyder. If you're old enough to remember the old computer game "Below the Root" from the 1980s, this is the series that spawned it.

#588261 10/03/06 04:53 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I am currently reading the National Electrical Code- 2005 Edition.

and man, whatta page turner.

Wooo hoooooooo.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#588262 10/13/06 12:02 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Been about a month since I've been on here, so here are my recent reads:

T2: Infiltrator
T2: Rising Storm
T2: The Future War
Pawn of Prophecy
Cry Wolf
Ender's Game

From the Universe of the Terminator movies and written by SM Stirling (an apparent master of alternate universe novels):

T2: Infiltrator
I picked this hardcover up for $1.00 at a used book store that was closing. I wasn't expecting much because I didn't know a thing about it or it's author at the time. I just knew that I didn't like some things about the Terminator 3 movie and wanted to see if this book gave any insight into T3.

Having said that... I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It basically picks up a short time after the T2 movie ends. Connors have gone into hiding while still on the look out for possible machine ascension. They are of course wanted terrorists at this point. There is also some interplay with the Dyson family, Cyberdyne and great use of an Arnold look alike character. Naturally there are Terminators and much of the story expands on different models and their interactions both in the present and the future.

As for insights on T3... none were directly given, but it seemed in the T2 movie that both Cyberdyne and it's Skynet research were destroyed in the present thereby usurping the "Machine" future. In the T3 movie the only explanation for Judgement Day was that it was, "inevitable". I can't remember if plausible eveidence for the rise of the machines was given in this book or the second book, but it is presented.

T2: The Rising Storm
The second of the trilogy extends the story further. Can't give away too much without spoilers but I was fairly satisfied with this story. Some of the action was hard to follow and I found myself having to re-read certain sequences, but in the end the story is still Sci Fi so I guess the implausible must be accepted... or at least glossed over so you can finish the book (lets face it, the premise of these books are implausible). Some really great irony in this book as well... kinda saw it coming, but was still enthralled to read it when it happened.

The knock on these books you say... What's the knock? Stirling is known for alternate universe stories where he envisions a wonderful, vivid, and excitingly different place and then marches some cardboard stereotype characters through it. I don't know about his other novels, but it seems like he benefits from using characters that are already "familiar" to the reader. I found myself liking these people and snickering at some of their bantering. These first two books were highly enjoyable for me.

T2: The Future War
Here's where the Trilogy goes astray in my estimation. More time is spent away from the Connors in this book than the previous two. Which means Stirling is playing with his "own" characters. These characters are important and logical in the Terminator universe but they in no way have even been hinted at in the movies. So here is where I buy into other people's criticisms about Stirling and his characters. They just weren't that interesting to me. And what starts out as great character moments for John and Sara Connor at the beginning of the novel are quickly forgotten as less and less time are spent with them. Some of the major characters from the previous books show up in cameo status in this book. Massive gaps in time also hinder the flow of this book.

Having said that... the book is not a bad read, its just not upto the standards of the first two novels or movies.

As the books relate to the Terminator 3 movie... well they give the reader plausibility that the machines can still rise given what we know about the first two movies. This trilogy of novels flies in the face of the T3 movie though so they are definitely "alternate" to the movie canon. In my honest opinion I think the first book would have made a better T3 movie than the one that was produced.

Pawn of Prophecy is the opening novel to David Eddings (classic) fantasy tale "The Belgariad" and was highly recommended by my sister and the readers at Amazon.com. Its probably unfair to comment on the story without having read the other four books in the tale, but this is the internet and everybody has a right to read what I think. smile It has potential to get better. Don't get me wrong... I didn't think it was bad, but maybe I'm just spoiled by the fact that my first novels read in the genre were penned by RA Salvatore and I feel like his books are the standard. So far this book didn't live up to my expectations. It could though depending on the next four... I'll just have to wait and see.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card is considered to be classic science fiction. Written in the late 1970's and once again... highly recommended by my sister, her two sons, her husband, and the internet crowd... just didn't seem to live up to the hype. It's kind of a cross between Starship Troopers and Lord of the Flies. I found myself not involved with the characters. Ender is supposed to be this genius... once in a generation type genius, but I didn't feel like his tactical brialliance was really fleshed out. Some of the moves in the training scenarios are respectable, but I just felt like the author kept telling us just how smart Ender is, but he never really showed us. Maybe I'm not smart enough to pick up on the nuances of Card's writing. I just felt the big battle at the end was a cop out. My sister of course does not get that I don't get what the fuss is about this book. I'd give it a strong B-.

Cry Wolf by Alan Chronister was the other book that I read. After having read alot of Sci Fi and Fantasy recently, I was looking forward to a good horror novel. Alas this was not it. The book had character issues with just about everyone in it. They were either inconsistent in behavior, too pushy to be liked (lead female protagonist), or doing something that normal people in the same situation wouldn't do. Some of the werewolf rules are silly and the proportional amount of time spent on throw away characters versus the main protagonists is a killer for this book. I felt like I knew the "fodder" better than the leads. Then Chronister throws in a "shocking" ending that had me going... "Ugh" out loud. Just uninspired, unexplained, bad sci fi. It felt desperate to me.

Something Filthy!
#588263 10/13/06 01:47 PM
Active
Active
LOL !! Hey Minesurfer, I reviewed Cry Wolf back on August 11th and I had just the opposite reaction. I really enjoyed the story, and in fact said it ought to be made into a made for tv movie. Isn't it funny how opinions vary smile

I saw this t-shirt in a magazine the other day, and dammit I wish it came in baby elephant sizes so I could get one. It read 'Keep pissing me off and you will become a character in my next novel.' Wouldn't that be great, especially if you really were a writer... lol

At least it's becoming the season of the year when it's fun to slow down and get warm and cozy and drink something hot and read a good book.

#588264 10/13/06 02:46 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Minesurfer, I've read The Belgariad and [B] The Mallorean [B] (the sequel) and both are solid reads. The sequel doesn't have quite the excitement as the original, but tackles some more mature concepts. Enjoy them both.

Just spouting off.
#588265 10/20/06 09:43 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I love the Belgariad. I drove my friends nuts in grade 7 or 8, because I had to keep reading them the funny bits. smile

I just finished reading Why We Love the Dogs We Do by Stanley Coren. I really loved it. It had lots of great stories about famous people and their dogs. I liked how it grouped dogs by personality instead of function. The personality test to find out what kind of dog you should have was fun, too.

Now I'm reading The Intelligence of Dogs by the same author. It's equally fascinating. It deals a lot with the history of dogs and the history of our attitudes about dogs.

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#588266 10/25/06 11:40 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Arachne, did they happen to have Jimmy Stewart in there, and his poem he wrote for his dog after its death? When he read that aloud on the Johnny Carson Show, its one of the most heart-breaking things I've ever seen. The audience (and Johnny) were weeping, and I don't there's a viewer at home that wouldn't be either.

#588267 10/25/06 10:49 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I don't think the poem was in there, but it talked about how he left the set he was for on for three days when heard his dog might have to be put down. It talked about how he cried in the car after it died, too. That was pretty emotional for me. 'cause the first time I saw my dad cry was when our dog was put down.

#588268 10/31/06 06:31 PM
Substitute
Substitute
well, right now i'm reading "Chinatown Death
Cloud Peril"(yes,that's a real title XD ), by Paul Malmont. a really good mystery, especially fun if you're a fan of the 'pulps'.

#588269 11/03/06 10:21 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Well... I got upto about page 300 in Neil Gaiman's American Gods and quit. I couldn't take it anymore. There's only 400 some odd pages in the book and I'm a fairly patient individual, but man... I couldn't take it anymore.

Note to Mr. Gaiman: If you are going to write a character driven book, (for very little action takes place in the first 300 pages of American Gods) at least put some interesting characters in the book. Having your main character just shadow walk through the book in a listless funk does not make for enjoyable reading.

Minor spoilers ahead (but I contend the book was spoiled way before I got to it):

When the dead wife of your main character tells the main character that he has no passion for life 3/4 of the way through the book, maybe, just maybe you should think about tweaking your premise. Here's your sign. I mean follow the story of the dead wife. She was the most interesting character in the book to me... until she went to get a job at a non-local Quickie Mart. That's also when I stopped reading. I couldn't take it anymore.

Something Filthy!
#588270 11/03/06 11:36 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I just finished The Universal History of Numbers which is as dry as it sounds. But there's a nice little perspective on human history.

Also, Tales of the City by Armistad Maupin. t's the first in a series of fun novels, set in San Fran circa 1975. It's just single life and the struggles it brings told with very witty dialouge by very human characters. Melrose Place without the melodrama.

Just spouting off.
#588271 11/03/06 12:48 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I just started reading "King of the Murgos," which is Book II of the five-part Mallorean series by David Eddings. It's the fourth time or so that I've read the book. I just re-read it's prequel series, the Belgariad, and am now rereading the Mallorean. It's a great series.

The basic premise of the two series is that there are two prophecies that detail the events leading up between the final battle between the Child of Dark and Child of Light. Belgarion, a young king with a fiery sword and sorcerous powers, is the Child of Light. He is aided by a number of people from a number of different lands, including his grandfather and aunt, the 1,000s year old Belgarath and Polgara.

Sorcery and swords, kings and gods, David Eddings weaves a mesmerizing journey that always keeps things moving, even through 10 books.

I highly recommend both series to anyone who enjoys epic fantasy.

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#588272 11/03/06 05:31 PM
Substitute
Substitute
My parents gave me King of the Murgos, unaware that it was second in a series, as a present when I was about twelve years old and lying in bed with a cold. I quickly grew obsessed with both series - I must have read and re-read those books about a dozen times back then.

Ah, warm, fuzzy memories. smile

#588273 11/03/06 10:22 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The Belgareth and Polgara prequels are pretty good, too.

I'm still into the dog books. I'm curently reading Good Owners, Great Dogs by Brain Kilcommons. I wish I read it years ago, it makes a lot of sense.

#588274 12/05/06 06:31 AM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
I've just recently discovered fantasy writer Terry Brooks am now reading "The Elf Queen of Shannara".
Its been great reading the Shannara series so far.

Page 25 of 68 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 67 68

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,227
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Not-So-Bad Lad
Not-So-Bad Lad
The Evil Anti-Moon!!!!
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star