Roll Call
0 members (), 7 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 08:04 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 08:04 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 08:00 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/19/24 07:50 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 19 MAY*
by razsolo - 05/19/24 06:10 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:53 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 29 of 42 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 41 42
Re: Lightning Saga Legion in Action!
#58907 02/24/08 06:34 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Comics Continuum has 5 preview pages for Action Comics #862.

#58908 02/24/08 06:42 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Didn't that All-Flash thing say Wally appeared at the exact moment Bart died?

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#58909 02/24/08 07:06 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
RE: Action #862 preview. The art looks pretty good this time around, but the reveal about Saturn Girl and the applicants is kind of disturbing. Interesting concept, perhaps justifiable, but the not the Saturn Girl I knew...

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#58910 02/24/08 07:37 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The art has grown on me as the nature of the story has revealed itself.

What do you mean this isn't the Saturn Girl we knew? This is a girl who telepathically determined that one of the Legion would die, stole an election through telepathic manipulation and depowered her teammates because she thought she knew better than them. This is Saturn Girl through every boot, though its funny that she's shown constantly touching Kal-El like a tween backstage at a boy band concert.

What might be more objectionable is the ret-con of those innocent funny silver age stories. This is what some of us have been saying about the LS/Action Legion to those gushing over having them back.

"This isn't 1983. Your favorites and their histories are now subject to the interpretation through the 2008 DCU (and its creators/editors). You might not like some of the stuff that will be tacked on."

So fair warning given, the story actually has been good if a little slow moving. It'll be a beautiful hardcover though.

#58911 02/24/08 08:33 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
Re: page 5 of the preview...a lightning beast? How many times do writers need to be reminded, Durlans can only mimic form, not function!!! (unless the function is a result of the form, like a bird's wings)

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#58912 02/24/08 08:47 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
The problem with the Imra revelation is that it screws up all those stories in which someone actually joined the team under false pretenses. Why didn't she catch them?

#58913 02/24/08 09:31 PM
Active
Active
Chaim: the Chameleon thing has been interpreted many ways, even by Levitz. How does "form but not function" work exactly? A Lightning Beast must have the biological tools to generate lightning whether it's a gene or a meta-gene. when Cham imitates a fish with gills can he swim and stay underwater? can he smell blood and sense movement like a shark? When he's a bird, why can he fly?
is he as light as a bird? his bones as hollow? it gets very confusing when you add super-powers to the mix. he looks like an average human but he's really from Krypton or Braal, etc... and when Cham imitates them...is he doing it at a cellular, genetic level? if so, why can't a Cham as Superboy absorb sun radiation the same way or have dense kryptonian muscles? if not then when he's a fish he shouldn't be able to breathe underwater, when he's a phantom form from BGZTL he can't go thru walls. but we've seen him do that. it's very confusing.

Gorilla Nebula
#58914 02/24/08 10:28 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
The problem with the Imra revelation is that it screws up all those stories in which someone actually joined the team under false pretenses. Why didn't she catch them?
Easy enough to explain EDE.... The hussy had a problem reading minds of sentients she finds attractive? For example, I don't think either of them were in the original but you know the two of them were just off panel...

Brainy: One of these four is a traitor. Saturn Girl, I need you to mind scan them like you usually do.

Imra: Well it's not Projectra, Ferro Lad or Karate Kid. They all seem to be A1 Legion material. Nemesis Kid seems nice too.

Imra (thought balloon): NK's so dreamy I just want to grope him like I do to Clark every time he comes to the future.

Brainy: Since your power can't detect the traitor, it looks like we will have to let the traitor reveal themselves, endangering the Earth and our teammates in so doing. Quit groping me Saturn Girl, you hussy.

#58915 02/24/08 10:41 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Okay, I'll buy it for Nemesis Kid, but you aren't convincing me she found Blackout Boy gropeworthy.

#58916 02/24/08 11:28 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
That's the "Weddings that wrecked the Legion". She and Brainy created the opportunity for infiltration before they allowed the spies to join. Not to say there wasn't a lot of groping going on. There was tons in this issue too.

Unseen revisionist Imra thought balloon: "This mission allows me to get closer to my teammates."
[Linked Image]

Brainy Thoughtcast to Imra: "Hey no fair. You've made this mission all about your raging hormones Hussy!"

[Linked Image]

Narrator's Caption: "Brainiac 5 gets his butt groped after riding a long, green, pickle-shaped object with Saturn Girl."

[Linked Image]

#58917 02/25/08 12:37 AM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
Gorilla Nebula:

Chaim: the Chameleon thing has been interpreted many ways, even by Levitz. How does "form but not function" work exactly? A Lightning Beast must have the biological tools to generate lightning whether it's a gene or a meta-gene. when Cham imitates a fish with gills can he swim and stay underwater? can he smell blood and sense movement like a shark? When he's a bird, why can he fly?
is he as light as a bird? his bones as hollow?
I imagine that when he's a bird or some other winged creature, he's able to distribute his mass such that his wings have sufficient surface area to generate lift through flapping motion, and his tail is pointed in a proper way to allow him to steer. For fish, I imagine he can form gills that filter oxygen out of water, as filtering is a structural property of a membrane, albeit on a microscopic level. I don't know that I'd buy that a Durlan can duplicate shark senses unless the Durlan has those senses naturally.

I suppose if I needed to sum up my understanding of Durlan shape-change powers, it would be: mechanics can be duplicated, but the basic body chemistry remains standard Durlan body tissue. Properties such as a lightning beast's lightning-generation or a Braalian's magnetism or a Kryptonian's ability to process sunlight into power I'd think (although of course, it's all comic-book pseudoscience anyway) are a function of body chemistry, not physical mechanics.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#58918 02/25/08 05:30 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Chaim Mattis Keller:
Re: page 5 of the preview...a lightning beast? How many times do writers need to be reminded, Durlans can only mimic form, not function!!! (unless the function is a result of the form, like a bird's wings)
Maybe Brainy upgraded her. If humans can have 'extra' powers, why can't Durlans?

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#58919 02/25/08 05:35 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It doesn't screw them up; it just takes extra explaining. Maybe some people are naturally - or unnaturally - adept at foolong t-paths, sort of like some can fool polygraphs.

Actually, it makes complete sense, from a modern point-of-view; it reincorporates 60s tales into a more believable, and I would also add that it does so without ruining the integrity of the originals, which still stand on their own, once one realizes that any attempt to force a unified continuity on any version of preboot Legion is pointless.

#58920 02/25/08 06:27 AM
Lost In Time
Lost In Time
Hmm... I just noticed that Earth-man is wearing the Legion ring. Can someone tell me the hows and whys of that?

Exnihil: Novelty, if he had a power, the obvious one to me would of course be "The Power of Grayskull"
#58921 02/25/08 08:36 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I'm pretty sure that Chameleon Boy was able to turn into an electric eel and shock people, so this seems reasonable.

Then again, threeboot Chameleon, who was *explicitly* said to be unable to replicate the functionality of another, was shown using lightning in Lightning Lad's form, so there's definitely been some sloppiness. (Threeboot Shadow Lass was also shown shooting darkness at people. She blocked one of Sun Boy's fire blasts at one point, and hit someone in one of the battles against nameless goons hard enough with 'darkness' that they doubled over. I guess it's 'hard' darkness...)

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#58922 02/25/08 09:12 AM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
Gorilla Nebula:

is he as light as a bird? his bones as hollow?
I imagine that when he's a bird or some other winged creature, he's able to distribute his mass such that his wings have sufficient surface area to generate lift through flapping motion, and his tail is pointed in a proper way to allow him to steer. For fish, I imagine he can form gills that filter oxygen out of water, as filtering is a structural property of a membrane, albeit on a microscopic level. I don't know that I'd buy that a Durlan can duplicate shark senses unless the Durlan has those senses naturally.

I suppose if I needed to sum up my understanding of Durlan shape-change powers, it would be: mechanics can be duplicated, but the basic body chemistry remains standard Durlan body tissue. Properties such as a lightning beast's lightning-generation or a Braalian's magnetism or a Kryptonian's ability to process sunlight into power I'd think (although of course, it's all comic-book pseudoscience anyway) are a function of body chemistry, not physical mechanics.
I've read Silver Age Cham's power to be more of a personal illusion rather than shape-changing. He was said to have the power of super-disguise. "It is I, Chameleon Boy, disguised as a trash can."

So Cham would still be in the shape of Cham, but look like a trash can. Presumably he could make himself look like a mouse or an elephant, but would have the same mass as he always had. And so would not be able to fit through a tiny crack or weigh down a balloon.

I'd actually like to see this version of his power be used, but I think it is too late to change it back from shape-shifting.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#58923 02/25/08 09:37 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I actually think what you're suggesting is what Waid had in mind with the threeboot Cham.

I agree with cmk's basic characterization of how the power should work. I'd also add that becoming a phantom can be explained as becoming "four-dimensional", which is really just a form of extreme shape-changing. Theoretically, he should be able to duplicate Phantom Girl's power in the same way he can duplicate Ron-Karr's.

#58924 02/25/08 10:11 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I love the idea of Saturn Girl telepathically testing applicants. It certainly explains the rejection of otherwise powerful applicants.

What it DOESN'T explain is why Saturn Girl and the Legion were caught off guard by the "Justice League." They should have known for years the threat presented by these sickos. UNLESS, the sickos have overachieved, perhaps because of some outside help?

As for Cham, I like the super-disguise power approach, too, although I think it infringes too closely on Projectra's turf.

Since the 1980s, when Levitz and Giffen spelled out the nature of Durlans, it's been clear that Durlans are pretty much undifferentiated puddles of protoplasm (a la Odo on STDS9) that can mimic any shape. But, the physical attributes that go with the shape should be severely limited. Otherwise, you're just Animal Man or Beast Boy with antennae and pointy ears. I always assumed Cham was flying with his power ring when he was mimicking a bird or an insect.

I think Waid wanted to take Cham even more in the direction of being a "mimic" of the lifeforms around him. I like that approach even better, because it more closely fits the idea of a "Chameleon" AND it puts an end to all the Mr. Fantastic-style stretchy shapy stuff. Again, that's a cool power, but it's NOT what Cham does. Cham is a mimic.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#58925 02/25/08 11:09 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Novelty:
Hmm... I just noticed that Earth-man is wearing the Legion ring. Can someone tell me the hows and whys of that?
If he is wearing a flight ring, my guess would be that he took it off one of the captured Legionnaires. Lousy so-and-so!!!

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
#58926 02/25/08 11:15 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
All the times that Cham has turned into a tiny insect (which would be ridiculously hard to do from a physical science standpoint) or a giant sized critter makes it seem like he can indeed alter his mass. In effect, he's got limited versions of Shrinking Violet's and Colossal Boy's powers.

But I'd hate if they went down the route of giving him any powers of any creature he could turn into. Turning into an electric eel and giving someone a zap is a far cry from turning into a Titanian and gaining telepathy, or a Kryptonian and becoming a god. Most of the Legionnaires have genetically-derived powers, and even those who don't, such as Lightning Lad, seem to have enough genetic connection to their powers (even if they gained them well after birth) that a descendent could have 'mental lightning.'

I guess the question would be, where to draw the line. A Talokkian's ability to see in the dark might be the result of physical changes to the eye, while a Braalian's magnetic powers might involve both changes to the physiology, but also some sort of high-energy infusion from the Braalian magnetosphere, preventing a Durlan from just shifting into a Braalian form and throwing metal stuff around. The Durlan-turned-Braalian might be extra sensitiver to magnetic fields (like a shark or platypus or homing pigeon), but actually be infused with enough magnetic energy to do anything with it, other than make paperclips stick to his fingers. Similarly, if he turned into a Coluan, he might have a highly effective and efficient brain-structure, but none of the training in how to use it, or any of the technical information he'd need to be a 'brainiac.' It might even be dangerous, or at least uncomfortable, for a Durlan to assume certain forms, with unusual senses, for instance, overwhelming the Durlan with unfamilar inputs that it has no frame of reference for how to interpret or 'focus.'

Regardless of the genetics of Kryptonian (or Daxamite) physiology, those power sets are just ridiculous, and having a Durlan able to move his cells around and then be able to shatter planets and fly at lightspeed would be crazy.

And all of that assumes that Durlans are able to mimic genetic-based abilities at all. If Durlans are just blobs like Odo, possibly not even having DNA, let alone being able to mimic the sorts of cells we use, then cutting one open when it's in the form of a squid, or a human, or a trashcan, would reveal the same blobby insides, with no organs or inner structure.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#58927 02/25/08 11:17 AM
Deputy
Deputy
It also screws up the stories where Matter-Eater Lad, Ultra Boy and other members pretended to be spies and criminals and such. Brainy probably wouldn't have made the team, either, because she'd have to know he was at risk of going plumb bonkers and taking over the universe someday.

Kudos to Tamper Lad for his awesome revisionist "hussy" history (which explains the true origins and function of the pickle ship as well) but I suspect the real explanation is Geoff Johns never actually read an original Legion story published before, say, the 1980s, except the few he absolutely needed to read to maintain the pretense of "original".

#58928 02/25/08 12:03 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Tromium:
[b] The problem with the Imra revelation is that it screws up all those stories in which someone actually joined the team under false pretenses. Why didn't she catch them?
It also screws up the stories where Matter-Eater Lad, Ultra Boy and other members pretended to be spies and criminals and such. Brainy probably wouldn't have made the team, either, because she'd have to know he was at risk of going plumb bonkers and taking over the universe someday.[/b]
Only if Imra's powers were consistently reliable. Fluctuations in her power, particularly in her early years, could account for all the errors and omissions - especially if she herself was unaware of her weaknesses of the time. This would also explain many of Imra's less-than-well-written moments in the 70s, at a time she had become aware of those limitations. I'm thinking of #236 and the Space Pirate Jo stories, but as I recall there were others.

I won't respond to your last bit because I don't want to match your negative tone in order to accurately reflect my reaction. You've made your dislike of this Legion well-known already; I'm not sure why you feel the need to rain on everyone else's parade.

#58929 02/25/08 12:04 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I don't mind the Imra thing, per se, but I think it would've been a lot cooler to actually invoke some of the equipment actually used to detect character in the Silver Age, such as the doohickey from the Luthor story or that aura thingamabob Dynamo Boy had. The Bierbaums certainly would've used something like that.

And this being the 2008-style DCU, I'm actually surprised Imra didn't just go ahead and lobotomize the bad guys, JLA-style, while she was in there.

#58930 02/25/08 04:37 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Maybe she 'installed' a self-limiting, lameness boosting suggestion while in there: would that qualify as a lobotomy?

Very similar to the result Zatanna reached with Dr. Light, if no one else.

Extrapolation: the ACTION storyline is one big sequel to IDENTITY CRISIS.

Uh-oh. I do *not* want to speculate about who's going to be/has been Sue Dibny.

Machinary was used on Legionnaires once they joined-- remember the Molecule Master story in the Cockrum/Grell era?

It'd only make sense to weed out some candidates using it... unless there are future ethical considerations we haven't really seen spelled out.

#58931 02/25/08 08:29 PM
A
Active
Active
A
Theories to satisfy no one but me:

Imra's detection of the League members' deviance is a sign of just how deviant they were. They made no attempt to hide their mental imbalances because they did not even recognize them as undesirable. When someone knew to disguise their motivations, Imra's scan was not intrusive enough to tell, nor was it intrusive enough to tell that someone would become a future threat as opposed to just another of society's misfits.

Every biological action requires the organism to expend energy. Perhaps Durlans' metabolisms cannot accomodate the powers of certain organisms simply because they do not have enough stored energy to begin with.

Page 29 of 42 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 41 42

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,464
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
hepcatfox boy, Superboy-Supergirl
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
CJ Taylor
CJ Taylor
Denver, CO
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star