Roll Call
0 members (), 8 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 08:04 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 08:04 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/19/24 08:00 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/19/24 07:50 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 19 MAY*
by razsolo - 05/19/24 06:10 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:53 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/19/24 02:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 30 of 42 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 41 42
Re: Lightning Saga Legion in Action!
#58932 02/25/08 09:15 PM
K
Active
Active
K
So it looks like we'll be seeing more of this Legion in Final Crisis and possibly in a side series (limited -- I'm guessing) with Geoff Johns and possibly George Perez as creators.

Dan DiDio mentioned the possibility of three Legions. Alongs with the Lightning Saga Legion and the Shooter/Manapul Legion -- maybe we'll see an entirely new take (maybe villainous if they come from Earth 3) on the team.

While these are exciting times to be a Legion fan, I can't help but be a bit weary of where all of this is headed.

#58933 02/25/08 09:33 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by kcekada:
While these are exciting times to be a Legion fan, I can't help but be a bit wary of where all of this is headed.
Didio loves killin' folk, so I also dread what could come of this. Is he gonna kill off two of the three Legions? Seems like a tremendous waste. Even if they aren't being used, there's no reason why a writer three years from now won't want to take advantage of them.

Then again, some of my favorite series take little-used or lesser-known characters and make interesting use of them. X-Factor, Power Company, Exiles, Thunderbolts, New Warriors, Teen Titans, etc. If comics editors keep pulling a 'Bar with No Name' on every second-tier character out there, they only succeed in taking away colors from their palette.

Wolverine was once a second-tier nobody who showed up in a Hulk comic once, after all, before he developed the mutant power to make money.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#58934 02/25/08 09:38 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Set:
Originally posted by kcekada:
While these are exciting times to be a Legion fan, I can't help but be a bit wary of where all of this is headed.
Didio loves killin' folk, so I also dread what could come of this. Is he gonna kill off two of the three Legions?
I'd expect something more like Giffen's old "hat trick", with a bunch of random casualties from each version of the team.

#58935 02/26/08 12:53 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
You know what, I saw the preview pages and I really like the nod to Fire Lad being slim and Chlorophyll Kid being chubby. Good to see different body types being shown in comics.

#58936 02/26/08 04:49 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Didn't like Cham Girl's use of an invective if it's just tossed aside. I know as someone who was standing there watching the goings on, I'd call her out on it as proof of Legion intent. There's a plot point there.

I love the line-up of characters and historical references. If there's not a Planatary Chance Machine somewhere in this story, I'll be disappointed.

#58937 02/27/08 07:21 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Matthew E:
[b]jimgallagher: I think Naltorians' powers originally came from their science. In that solo story, it was the machines they used to regulate the earthquakes that were interfering with their visions: they were vibrating on an inconvenient frequency, or something, so Nura had to recalibrate them so there wouldn't be any negative effects.
[/b]
I looked up Adv. 317 last night and it only says that she's from the scientific world Naltor (probably to explain how she could rig that generator to change L Lass's power, etc.) and that she has the most powerful visions on the planet. Nothing about where the visions come from.

Also in her origin story, I noticed that Mon-El says she's a real dreamboat. He calls her Dreamboat again in Action 380-something-or-other's "Lament for a Legionnaire". Nice bit of continuity that I hadn't noticed before.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#58938 02/27/08 03:16 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
So they screened out people with "psychotic tendencies and deviant obsessions", according to Mr. Goes-Crazy-A-Lot-and-Builds-Supergirl Robots?

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#58939 02/27/08 04:46 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
Good point...perhaps Brainy's mind is so complex/advanced that Saturn Girl couldn't really read him and they all just hoped for the best.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#58940 02/27/08 04:50 PM
Active
Active
well then wouldnt have star boy not made it to, cause he's crazy?

maybe she has a code on who can come in like maybe the rejects mabye they wanted to join to hurt people where brainy just wanted to help?

that makes sense right?

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#58941 02/27/08 07:08 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
A good day for the Legion. Both LSH #39 and Action #862 were strong issues. This issue was my favorite of the of Action storyline, so far. Frank's art has really evened out. No bulging eyes. The opening sequence had a great nostalgic feel, the action sequences looked great, and the battle scenes between Superman and Earth-Man in the final pages were simply stunning.

The Subs were fun, exactly what they should be.
The dialouge was solid. In the end, though, the story was carried by the action scenes. Very dramatic.

We are kind of being put into a position of having to choose between Legions these days. I consider myself to be in the Shooter/Manapul camp, but I'm hard pressed to find much fault with Johns and Frank this month.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#58942 02/27/08 07:37 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Yes this issue got things together nicely for the finale. The entry of the Subs into the battle was classic.

My one quibble is the off-panel death or mutilation of a couple of the Subs (not really my favorites of the bunch but I know they have their fans). Strangely the Infectious Lass who appeared in the recent Tales of the Unexpected may actually be Drura of the pre-crisis Legion sent there by Earth Man and not a metatextual construct.

#58943 02/27/08 10:29 PM
A
Active
Active
A
The Subs' entrance was pitch perfect. I was worried to hear about the ones not on the bus, though. Fake Yera was a nice twist. The fake tablet probably brings it all back to a Superman villain, but I hope we get the resolutions we Legion fans need next issue. I think I'll go read it again.

#58944 02/28/08 07:37 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
This rocked! Probably my favorite art out of the whole arc.

Rainbow Girl was awesome! Geoff incorporated the GL stuff into her powers. Cool.

The focus on the Subs was great. That is why I love Geoff. He is able to use some of the traditonal yet silly stuff and make it cool.

The last page was fantastic as well.

#58945 02/28/08 08:29 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
My question: Where is Porcupine Pete?

I loved the issue and can't wait for the ender. Last page splash is awesome.

#58946 02/28/08 11:33 AM
Active
Active
Really enjoyed this issue. I love the Subs and it was great seeing them kick butt and be quirky (yay Subs). The action scenes were breath taking and the fight between Earthman and Superman was awesome and I can't wait till next issue.

That said, I too have issues with the Imra thing, mostly because I can't figure out how radiation roy can give her nightmares but she can't figure out Kid Dynamo was a traitor? It seems like a cool idea at first, but in this case I don't think Geoff thought out the consequences of that particular retcon.

Furhermore, I kinda like to think of the Legion as an evolving organization. So the fact that 60's Imra would do that doesn't make sense to me, as all the Legionnaires seem fairly young, innocent and idealistic. However, I could see 80's Imra doing it, as both she and the Legion has 'grown up' and probably realized that they have been infiltrated one too many times. Again, I just don't see the begining, newly formed Legion thinking of something like that.

So maybe none of the Justice Leaguers were rejected until after the last Legion traitor? That would make sense, but I don't see the Legion doing psych screens early on in there history, it just doesn't work for me.

Oh, and in 1000 years hospital scrubs look the same? That doesn't work either.

So other than those two things I LOVED this issue, loved the character moments, the fights, the art, the sheer scope, the fact that the Legion is finally going to save the day. Yay. So apart from one line on the third page (or fourth or whatever) this issue was beyond great.

As for the Yera thing, I didn't even catch that.

Long Live the Legion!
#58947 02/28/08 12:40 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
Yes this issue got things together nicely for the finale. The entry of the Subs into the battle was classic.

My one quibble is the off-panel death or mutilation of a couple of the Subs (not really my favorites of the bunch but I know they have their fans). Strangely the Infectious Lass who appeared in the recent Tales of the Unexpected may actually be Drura of the pre-crisis Legion sent there by Earth Man and not a metatextual construct.
I had the same thought, that it was a nod to the Tales of the Unexpected Story, and would explain how she could be there. Very cool!

I liked the final moment when Kal took the battle outside. I know his ring will protect him from space, but for a second it made me think that was a leap of faith that his friends would get Dirk out of the solar generator and the sun would return to yellow, so Kal can kick EarthMan's sorry butt!!! I figure it will happen next issue, but it would be unlikely based on how they say Clark gets his powers (that he needs to store up the solar energy like a battery, so he wouldn't automatically have his full powers back (unless Dirk gives him a quick solar flare to handle that plot point). It's also noble for Superman to distract EarthMan to buy the rest of the Legion time to release thier friends (although why they weren't breaking open canisters right and left is beyond me).

Good twist with Yera!! And I'm glad Gim didn't pay for his mistake with his life (I was worried for a second there)!!

Great issue for the Subs! Looking forward to the finale next month! smile

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
#58948 02/28/08 12:53 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by kidflash2fan:
well then wouldnt have star boy not made it to, cause he's crazy?

maybe she has a code on who can come in like maybe the rejects mabye they wanted to join to hurt people where brainy just wanted to help?

that makes sense right?
According to the Lightning Saga story, Star Boy's only been "a sandwich short of a picnic" since the 21st century doesn't have the common meds that exist 1000 years from now. That and his brain getting scrambled a bit during his time trip led to his behavior in the current JSA book. And despite his challenges, he still has the heart of a hero, helping others and smiling all the way!

Craig C.

#58949 02/28/08 01:15 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Omni Craig:
[b] well then wouldnt have star boy not made it to, cause he's crazy?

that makes sense right?
According to the Lightning Saga story, Star Boy's only been "a sandwich short of a picnic" since the 21st century doesn't have the common meds that exist 1000 years from now. That and his brain getting scrambled a bit during his time trip led to his behavior in the current JSA book. And despite his challenges, he still has the heart of a hero, helping others and smiling all the way! [/b]
well didn't dreamgirl say in said story line that
he become crazy when he first got his powers?

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#58950 02/28/08 01:29 PM
Active
Active
quote:Originally posted by Novelty:
Hmm... I just noticed that Earth-man is wearing the Legion ring. Can someone tell me the hows and whys of that?

If he is wearing a flight ring, my guess would be that he took it off one of the captured Legionnaires. Lousy so-and-so!!!
Earth man's ring has the same Earth-symbol that's on his chest, it's clearly not a Legion ring. Maybe the Justice League has their own flight rings. I don't exactly recall if we've seen the other Rejects flying or not.

Loved seeing the subs especially the sequence with Stone Boy flying out of the bus. My guess is that he's showing two fingers on each hand because DC's editorial staff disapproved of one which is pretty lame. Unless hes doing the more British "up yours" sign(which would be hilarious except for the fact that it's an American comic by Americans).

Generally another pretty good issue. I'm surprised I'm liking it as much as I am. The other stuff I've read by Geoff Johns I've really been less than impressed by. Maybe Frank's awesome artwork offsets the flaws and maybe Johns' usually cheesy dialog works better in the 31st century where we assume everything is being translated.

Is that a moon?
#58951 02/28/08 02:11 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Omni Craig:
[b]
[b] well then wouldnt have star boy not made it to, cause he's crazy?

that makes sense right?
According to the Lightning Saga story, Star Boy's only been "a sandwich short of a picnic" since the 21st century doesn't have the common meds that exist 1000 years from now. That and his brain getting scrambled a bit during his time trip led to his behavior in the current JSA book. And despite his challenges, he still has the heart of a hero, helping others and smiling all the way! [/b]
well didn't dreamgirl say in said story line that
he become crazy when he first got his powers? [/b]
It's possible, but I don't remember that. I do recall Thom was hospitalized right after he got his additional powers but that was because his spaceship had flown through the tail end of a comet. I didn't think it was for psychiatric reasons.

Craig C.

#58952 02/28/08 02:18 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I think the 1,000 year old forged crystal tablet may have given away the Big Bad who's in collusion with Earth-Man -- Saturn Queen, mentioned in passing in the last issue. The original Spider-Girl and Radiation Roy never worked with SQ in the LSV, but the Johnsboot versions claim they did. It's her or Per Degaton, last seen in the LSaga, I bet.

#58953 02/28/08 02:42 PM
Substitute
Substitute
This was a great issue. I have always loved the Subs, and Johns did not disapoint with them here. Rainbow Girl was just a perfect person to make a member of the Subs. I loved that crazy look she had when she turned red and flew into the fight, and sort of tying her powers into the stuff he is doing in GL was a nice touch too. Johns making sure to mention the others was a nice touch, especially the mention of the timelost Infectious Lass. I am curious about Porcupine Pete though. I mean even Double Header got a mention (RIP), but nothing on Pete.

The Superman/Earth Man fight was great too. I loved the "don't tug" line when Earth Man was pulling on Supes cape, and that last panel of Supes blasting out into space was a realy iconic image.

#58954 02/28/08 04:15 PM
Substitute
Substitute
A fun read, especially seeing Rainbow "Girl" and the rest of the subs back in Action. I wonder if we'll have the answer to the Porcupine Pete mystery solved?

I think that Degaton & Co. will be the real puppets masters behind the Superman distortion

#58955 02/28/08 07:01 PM
Active
Active
to me the best part of the issue is when fire lad said "hey i'm supposed to be the leader this week."
it has me giggling even now

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#58956 02/29/08 11:39 AM
Active
Active
i blame luthor for that tablet...it smells of him!

Bring back the super-cousins
Page 30 of 42 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 41 42

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,464
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
hepcatfox boy, Superboy-Supergirl
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star