Roll Call
1 members (Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller), 33 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/06/24 05:06 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/06/24 04:38 PM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by Ann Hebistand - 05/06/24 01:30 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 11:28 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added EYEFUL ETHEL & SUNSWORD 5 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 06:42 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by razsolo - 05/06/24 05:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 03:05 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Styx Cyclorama review
#589560 08/12/03 09:12 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
OP Offline
**I JUST FIGURED OUT HOW TO CUT AND PASTE IN THESE FIELDS!! If anybody else has been having trouble, try Ctrl-V instead of "paste."

Here, belatedly, is the review of Styx's latest CD that I tried to post a few weeks ago.**

After discussing Styx on the Five Favorite Bands thread, I decided to get off my duff and go buy their latest CD, which has been out since, oh, February.

I haven't seen a lot of attention paid to Cyclorama in the press or on radio. This is no surprise since, 1) older bands don't get much airplay these days, and 2) it is Styx's first album since their break with lead singer/keyboard player/drama meister Dennis DeYoung, a split that can in no way be described as amicable (as reflected in the harsh tone of certain songs on Cyclorama). DeYoung, for better or ill, became identified by the public as the Styx's most recognizable member: He wrote and sang many of their biggest hits, including "Lady," "Come Sail Away," "Babe" and "Mr. Roboto." His contributions to the band cannot and should not be dismissed.

But there was always much more to Styx than DeYoung. Guitarist and baritone-in-residence James (JY) Young contributed some the band's most memorable album cuts (including "Snowblind" and the tongue-in-cheek "Heavy Metal Poisoning"), while latecomer Tommy Shaw, who first joined the band in 1975, wrote and sang lead on other memorable hits, including "Blue Collar Man," "Renegade," and "Too Much Time on My Hands." Not to be overlooked was the rhythm section of twins Chuck and John Panozzo, on bass and drums respectively, who never got as much attention as the others, but were an integral force behind Styx's melodic hard rock.

The last decade has not been kind to the members of Styx. Aside from the fallout with DeYoung, health problems have also intervened: John Panozzo passed away from cirrhosis of the liver in 1996, while Chuck Panozzo was diagnosed as HIV-positive in 1991. Still an official member of the band, Chuck rarely tours with the band these days, and is represented on just two songs on the newest CD, playing bass on one and singing backup on the other.

So, that leaves Young and Shaw to carry the Styx banner. They are joined ably by drummer Todd Sucherman, bassist and vocalist Glen Burtnik and keyboard player/vocalist Lawrence Gowan.

In the end, the personnel changes don't really matter. Cyclorama sounds as good as Styx ever did. If you're a fan of theirs, you'll love this. If you're not, this CD won't change your mind.

The album is packed with dyed-in-the-wool rockers, such as "Do Things My Way" and "Kiss Your Ass Goodbye," which stand up with any of Styx's classic material. While these songs are enjoyable in their own right, there are also a few transcendent moments, including the ethereal "Waiting For Our Time To Come," which did achieve fleeting airplay a few months ago.

The band has not overlooked it's melodic side -- and this is where Gowan comes in. He sounds eerily like DeYoung on "Fields of the Brave" and "More Love For the Money."

Typical of Styx, there is also some material that can only be classified as weird. This includes a brief, a capalla version of the band's 1977 hit, "Your Fooling Yourself." Then, there's "Bourgeous Pig," an obvious slam against DeYoung. The short ditty begins with what sounds like a beer can being opened, followed by gutteral vocals by guest Billy Bob Thornton: "Bourgeous pig,/ You got too big./ You forgot where you came from./ You big pop star,/ you took it too far./ You better get humble and then some."

Of special interest to us comics fans is a Young-sung rocker, "Captain America." But this isn't about the shield-slinging Marvel hero so much as it's about America, generally, and what it means to people of a certain generation: "You remind me of that infamous war/ when we weren't sure what we were fighting for." Eerily, this song was written before Gulf War II, though the parallels between it and Vietnam are not lost on the listener.

Every track on the album is at least listenable (how many albums can you say that about?), and most have grown on me after hearing them just a few times. The album thus improves on the band's previous effort, Brave New World (1999), which was slowed down by too many of DeYoung's ballads.

The only disappointment for me is the absence of a lyrics sheet. This is not crucial, by any means, but one does come to depend on lyrics sheets, particularly with bands such as Styx, where a turn of phrase or a pun can be lost in the irresistable guitar crunch.

All in all, Styx doesn't appear to be missing much without DeYoung. But fans are missing a lot if they pass on Cyclorama.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Re: Styx Cyclorama review
#589561 09/01/03 10:29 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Well, my comments were lost to the Great Blackout, but this was a great review HWW. And I just got the album in the mail today from Amazon. I can't until work tomorrow so I can listen to it!

#589562 09/02/03 11:06 PM
OP Offline
Thanks! I'd like to read your review of it.

#589563 09/02/03 11:13 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Well I totally forgot I had a 9 hour meeting/conference today so I didn't even get to crack open the wrapper. But tomorrow, barring any problems, I'll get to listen to it.

#589564 09/03/03 03:15 AM
Active
Active
larry gowan is the singer for Styx, no offense but thats a fucking serious step down.

#589565 09/03/03 09:18 AM
OP Offline
If we were having this conversation 20 years ago, Labby, I'd agree. But I think De Young has gone in a very different direction than the rest of the band. His ballads didn't seem to fit in with Brave New World, their previous CD. The band seemed to have to make room for him and his contributions, even though, musically, they didn't gel.

Styx just was not a priority for De Young, in my opinion. He had other projects going and was treating Styx like a part-time job, even flying back and forth to participate in another production during his last tour with Styx. This no doubt rankled the others.

Gowan does a good job on the vocals. He sounds enough like De Young so that the latter isn't missed. And the album is more cohesive than BNW. Most of the songs are even credited to the band as a whole, instead of to individual members, as was the norm.

#589566 09/03/03 09:43 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Had I not been a previous Styx fan or knew DeYoung's vocals, I'd say I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

After just one listen through I'd have to say I enjoyed the harder edged songs more, especially Young's whose vocals have stayed strong and steady after all these years.

I really need to grab a decent pair of headphones and listen to it without subjecting my staff to it so I'll be back with more thoughts when I've had time to really listen to the album. But so far it would get a B- from me.

#589567 09/03/03 09:19 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
If we were having this conversation 20 years ago, Labby, I'd agree.
if this was 20 years ago, there is no wayyyy in the the world he would be in the band, have you ever heard GOWAN?
he was populer here in canada, and he fucking sucked so fucking bad it wasnt even funny
even girls laughed at him, he was just unbearable. just an opinion though.
download if you can
Strange animal
A Criminal mind
all the lovers in the world

then tell me he belongs in styx

well, actually MR ROBOTO is right up his alley so who knows maybe he does belong. Hope tommy shaw decides to leave again and reform damn yankees.

#589568 09/03/03 09:52 PM
OP Offline
I've only heard Gowan in Styx. And yes, based on Cyclorama, I'd say he does belong in the band. His solo work may not be an indication of what he can bring to a group.

I never cared for Damn Yankees. Their style was just too ... pedestrian, I suppose.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,169
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Caliente
Caliente
NorCal
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star