Roll Call
1 members (Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester), 45 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/27/24 08:36 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:38 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: What's your Legion-reading roadmap?
Thriftshop Debutante #989458 07/09/20 08:40 AM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
Pete Ross, at least, was still canon, (albeit a Pocket Universe version), and I see no reason the same couldn't be true of Insect Queen, though it was never explicitly shown.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
Thriftshop Debutante #989464 07/09/20 09:40 AM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Oh, that's right. I forgot Pete's Legion connection was referenced in that story. Lana's still a bit more complicated, because weren't Earth and Krypton the only populated planets in the pocket universe? And her origin involves an alien. Still, her bio-ring could just as easily be a Professor Potter invention without majorly changing anything.

Thriftshop Debutante #989465 07/09/20 10:42 AM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
EDE:

Isn't there a Supergirl statue appearance as late as the "Ghosts in the Clubhouse" story? I may be misremembering.

Yes, but now it's labelled "The Unknown Legionnaire".

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Ann Hebistand #989466 07/09/20 10:46 AM
Applicant
Applicant
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
About LaRocque:

The more high-profile artists most likely turned down the Legion, because it's always been a hard book to draw on a monthly schedule. In addition, Giffen was...unpredictable...and Lightle was a perfectionist, so the book was ridiculously behind schedule.

LaRocque was fast and reliable, which was what they needed to get the book back on track.

I like him better than most Legion fans do. His art was sexy and sensual in a way I firmly believe Giffen's never, ever, ever was. I've gone on many times in this forum how much I dislike Giffen's makeovers for the female Legionnaires, especially Shadow Lass

Giffen's look for Shadow Lass was definitely a lot more... modest than what came before. I mean, before and sometimes still during Levitz's second run, people were literally running around half-naked. Shady, Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy, and don't even get me started on the ridiculousness that Laurel Kent was wearing. Emma Frost herself would probably blush at that! (or she would probably approve)

Thriftshop Debutante #989467 07/09/20 10:53 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by UncannyXMan
don't even get me started on the ridiculousness that Laurel Kent was wearing.

That was a Keith Giffen design. smile

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Ann Hebistand #989468 07/09/20 11:07 AM
Applicant
Applicant
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
don't even get me started on the ridiculousness that Laurel Kent was wearing.

That was a Keith Giffen design. smile

Oh really? I thought he came onboard after it was introduced.

UncannyXMan #989469 07/09/20 01:48 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Giffen's look for Shadow Lass was definitely a lot more... modest than what came before. I mean, before and sometimes still during Levitz's second run, people were literally running around half-naked. Shady, Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy, and don't even get me started on the ridiculousness that Laurel Kent was wearing. Emma Frost herself would probably blush at that! (or she would probably approve)

Do you mean the teeny bikini or the S-poncho? Cause I will fight you over the poncho!

But yeah, the various bikinis (Shadow Lass, Night Girl, Laurel Kent, Saturn Girl, even Dream Girl) were egregious and unnecessary (since super-peeps are already hot as hell in their skintight outfits, and Shady, in particular, looks great fully dressed).

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Thriftshop Debutante #989470 07/09/20 03:56 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
Dream Girl's costume was always a one-piece swimsuit, never anything resembling a bikini.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Set #989471 07/09/20 04:08 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Set
Shady, in particular, looks great fully dressed).

Steve Lightle is the one to thank for that.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Thriftshop Debutante #989617 07/12/20 02:14 PM
Applicant
Applicant
And so in the space of a few weeks I've devoured the whole LOSH v3 all the way to its conclusion with the Magic Wars. What a ride, what an amazing series and what a wonderful cast of characters! I said before that I was mostly familiar with the Reboot Legion thanks to DnA's run, as well as Mark Waid's Threeboot Legion, but had never actually read much of anything with the original Legion. I now feel this run has turned me into a fan of these characters for life as I'm feeling really committed to following them through whatever comes next and all their various future incarnations and whatnot. I'm now very much looking forward to the Five Years Later run as well as the McCraw/Waid/Stern period of the Reboot which I've never read.

But before I get ahead of myself, I need to spend a few words on the characters I've most come to appreciate and those I haven't. I went in with The Great Darkness Saga with no particular favorites and have come to really love the founders, the Subs, Mon-El and Shady, Colossal Boy and Yera, Dreamy and the White Witch, Brainy and what was probably the single most-evolved character Projectra. I adored her journey and transformation into Sensor Girl and loved how she was elected as Legion leader at the end of volume 3.

At the same time... I get it that characters being jerks and bitches is a classic comicbook trope, and especially with the Legion from their very first appearance, but it sometimes seemed like Levitz went out of his way to make characters unlikeable. Shrinking Violet is absolutely insufferable throughout the whole run and never moves past beyond the anger of being replaced by Yera. Dawnstar is a character I love visually, and love her power, but boy is she annoying. And not annoying in a Brainy/Jeckie fun kind of way. Jacques/Invisible Kid II is another character I really wanted to like but who never seems to move past his insecurities and newbie status. I haven't read anything with the original Lyle Norg but I remember liking him much better in DnA's Legion.

Finally, I would be remiss if I didn't mention how much I enjoyed Giffen's return in the last few issues of v3. There's an immediate switch to the dramatic and you can see who's really driving the ship there. I loved how he put the Legionnaires in civvies in their downtime, while their costume redesigns are a bit hit or miss, or rather, I do like most of them but I don't think they're distinctive enough, which I believe is a quality you need to have in such a crowded book.

In terms of Giffen's pencils, I loved them in his Perez/Starlin style, his Maguire style, his Munoz style, so it's a win win for me and I'm salivating at the thought of starting with his volume 4 next week. I know that run is highly controversial and I'm looking forward to forming an opinion of my own.

Thriftshop Debutante #989630 07/13/20 12:16 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Glad you enjoyed it so much. V3 is popular with many fans and for good reason. As for V4 it will be interesting to see how you feel about it. It is very different to v3 or just about anything else which is perhaps why most fans either love it or hate it.

The one thing I will say without spoiling anything for you is be prepared to invest a lot of time and effort into v4. It is not a casual read comic and to get the most requires a lot of rereading. Hope you enjoy it. (I did and still do.)

Thriftshop Debutante #989655 07/13/20 11:07 AM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
Also, as you read v4, bear in mind that issues 4 and 5 of that run are sort of a detour from the main flow of the story, because the Superman editors forced the Legion to write Superboy out of Legion history, The story flow at the end of issue # 3 (prior to the very last page, which is the lead-in to issue # 4) picks up in issue # 6, which is immediately set in the new status quo, and we get our first look at Laurel Gand, (though she's only properly introduced in the next issue).

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,962
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Nick Vinson
Nick Vinson
Texas
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star