Roll Call
0 members (), 42 Murran Spies, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/08/24 03:49 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/08/24 03:24 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 32 of 33 1 2 30 31 32 33
Re: JSA/JLA/Legion Crossover (spoilers)
#598500 08/26/07 11:01 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Superboy:
Originally posted by Reboot:
[b]2) No. No, you couldn't.
Oh sure you could...they both have Mon-El and Laurel Gand replacing Superboy and Supergirl...which makes a lot more sense than splicing either one of them onto a continuity that features Superboy and Supergirl.[/b]
No, because:
1) Valor didn't inspire the postboot Legion
2) Postboot Andromeda was very, very different from preboot.
3) You're focusing on one aspect that you can't even get right. Pointing out various things like dead-Gim, snake-Jeka, growing-Vi, Kinetix, Gates, XS, no race of Proties, dead-with-a-corpse KQ1 (with different personality), depowered Sun Boy, Blok's whole planet destroyed with him on it, very different Ferro, Reep whose father wasn't RJ Brande, Triad whose [step]father WAS R.J. Brande and who couldn't survive the loss of a body (or other complete separation without rejoining) for more than a day, Grev who died because he couldn't channel the shadowforce, Jacques Foccart who couldn't use his powers without extreme pain,...

You might as well argue that the "threeboot" could be 5YL's antecedent. Black Star Boy could get his skin bleached...

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#598501 08/26/07 11:14 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Fight! Fight!

#598502 08/26/07 11:33 PM
Active
Active
[b]
[b]2) No. No, you couldn't.
Oh sure you could...they both have Mon-El and Laurel Gand replacing Superboy and Supergirl...which makes a lot more sense than splicing either one of them onto a continuity that features Superboy and Supergirl.[/b]
No, because:
1) Valor didn't inspire the postboot Legion
2) Postboot Andromeda was very, very different from preboot.
3) You're focusing on one aspect that you can't even get right. Pointing out various things like dead-Gim, snake-Jeka, growing-Vi, Kinetix, Gates, XS, no race of Proties, dead-with-a-corpse KQ1 (with different personality), depowered Sun Boy, Blok's whole planet destroyed with him on it, very different Ferro, Reep whose father wasn't RJ Brande, Triad whose [step]father WAS R.J. Brande and who couldn't survive the loss of a body (or other complete separation without rejoining) for more than a day, Grev who died because he couldn't channel the shadowforce, Jacques Foccart who couldn't use his powers without extreme pain,...
To tell you the truth...I don't really give a whit one way or the other...two failed unpopular versions neither of which will ever have a series again...it's all trivia from here on out. And thankfully so.

But since you do demand an explantion..

Two words...Time Trapper.

Oh and the snake Jekkie thing was just an illusion...

You might as well argue that the "threeboot" could be 5YL's antecedent. Black Star Boy could get his skin bleached... [/b]
Actually I had considered that the W&K could actually be the original.....

One word...Universo.

#598503 08/26/07 11:36 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
But since you do demand an explantion..

At which point, it stops even being the SEMBLANCE of the same version as either.

Oh and the snake Jekkie thing was just an illusion...
Along with the WHOLE PLANET?

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

#598504 08/26/07 11:44 PM
Active
Active
[qb]But since you do demand an explantion..

At which point, it stops even being the SEMBLANCE of the same version as either.
Eh...these things happen. You learn to accept it. They each have their positives.

Sure...SensorGirl once sentenced the Persuader to live alone in his own sickening mind...she can whip up a snake planet.

#598505 08/26/07 11:47 PM
Active
Active
I know what you're going to ask...why on Earth would Jekkie want to make everyone think she's a snake...

And I am going to respond by asking you.....why would the writers?

#598506 08/26/07 11:53 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
[b]
[qb]But since you do demand an explantion..

Eh...these things happen. You learn to accept it. They each have their positives. [/b]
Which automatically get lost when you smoosh them together.

Sure...SensorGirl once sentenced the Persuader to live alone in his own sickening mind...she can whip up a snake planet.
Uh-huh. And convincing the inhabitants, to the point that when she turned an illusion on her dad he twigged when he realised he had arms? And such that it would maintain in her absence, both for the inhabitants and those who see them?

You've never read a single postboot comic have you? Shut up now. You've fixated on one narrow point that isn't even truly the case, and refuse to accept the defects in that point or the innumerable other ways in which 5YL relies on pre-5YL stories where those events transpired differently or not at all in the clean post-ZH reboot.

And I am going to respond by asking you.....why would the writers?
Because they wanted more than one non-humanoid in the whole Legion.

#598507 08/27/07 12:08 AM
Active
Active
Uh-huh. And convincing the inhabitants, to the point that when she turned an illusion on her dad he twigged when he realised he had arms? And such that it would maintain in her absence, both for the inhabitants and those who see them?
Entire thing was an illusion...her dad, the planet. Any interacting. Was all just an illusion. Try to wrap your mind around it. Stretch it a bit.

You've never read a single postboot comic have you? Shut up now.
Unfortunately...I've read all of them.

You act like they are hard to find or something.

In case there's any you are missing...try the 10 for a dollar rack at your local CS.

Because they wanted more than one non-humanoid in the whole Legion. [/QB]
Then I think it would have been a nice idea if they had just...created one. Instead of, changing a prexisting and beloved character into one.

Why that's almost like...changing the Archie Legion into the TMK version.

#598508 08/27/07 10:17 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Tromium:
[QB]
Does this mean there's only one "superboy" in the Multiverse? That would come as a surprise.
How would you conclude that?

There are 52 Universes and that picture only represents Legions of 3 of them....2 of which never had serious ties to Kal-el, at least as far as we know....as has been well documented in their series. The Archie Legion had no deep ties to Kal-El and obviously the W&K doesn't either as far as we know.

It's also been shown that the main Earth is the key to the mulitverse and that is the Superboy of that Earth I am pretty sure....and this looks to be a muliversal crossover.
I didn't conclude anything about the existence or not of other Legions in the Multiverse, only speculating there's one "superboy" -- meaning one *Kent* superboy. On second thought, in view of the pending copyright litigation, it seems likely to be the case for now and the near future.

On the other debate, which Reboot wins hands down, the TMK Legion had their own distinct antecedents in the so-called SW6 Legion (duplicates of their younger selves--whatever). The fact they're missing from DC's Legion Lovefest is meaningful for future canon, and brushing aside the differences between the two incarnations (which are vast) is kind of silly when its pretty good evidence that DC shares your own view that TMK/SW6 was not the original Legion.

#598509 08/27/07 10:36 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Oh for crying out loud, don't you know that the only stories featuring the original Legion were written by Otto Binder.

That horrible revisionist retconner Jerry Siegel ruined everything when he introduced the 'kids of the original Legion'. To make things worse he then retconned his retcon two issues later in his next Supergirl and the LSH story.

Feh I say.... Bring back bubble helmets that cannot possibly be removed from Cos' swollen head, Lightning Boy and Saturn Girl's Yellow uniform.

Message to Dan Didio: BRING BACK OTTO BINDER'S LEGION FOR THE 50th ANNIVERSARY or a whole army of agitated 60 year old nerds who still cant beat themslves out of a wet paper bag after all these years will march on 1700 Broadway.

And yes I am mocking you Legion Fandom because sometimes you sound ridiculous.

#598510 08/27/07 11:07 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I agree with you TL. That was the original Legion. The Legion has had retcon after retcon. We think there have only been 3 boots but there have been about...52? Ok, maybe more. smile

#598511 08/27/07 01:42 PM
Active
Active
I didn't conclude anything about the existence or not of other Legions in the Multiverse, only speculating there's one "superboy" -- meaning one *Kent* superboy. On second thought, in view of the pending copyright litigation, it seems likely to be the case for now and the near future.
Well there is that Superboy Prime Kid. Whether or not they will continue to call him that is up to debate...but since this arc is billed as the Legion of 3 worlds and only one of those Legions had a serious tie to Superboy, to me it's not hard to see why there is only one Superboy in that scene...I don't see how multiversal conclusions can be drawn from an arc only featuring the casts of 3 worlds.

On the other debate, which Reboot wins hands down, the TMK Legion had their own distinct antecedents in the so-called SW6 Legion (duplicates of their younger selves--whatever). The fact they're missing from DC's Legion Lovefest is meaningful for future canon, and brushing aside the differences between the two incarnations (which are vast) is kind of silly when its pretty good evidence that DC shares your own view that TMK/SW6 was not the original Legion. [/QB]
No sillier than it was the first time it was done, or turning Jeckie into a snake...and my intent is to make all Legion Fans happy by ensuring they all exist.

#598512 08/27/07 01:45 PM
Active
Active
Eh...the Binder Legion wasn't really intended to be anything more than a one off...the changes that were made were made for the purposes of having a recurring cast and making the Legion more suitable to being a lead feature. Most of them added to the Legion rather than gutting huge swaths of it's history...

Am I the only one that misses Lightning Lad's beautiful orginal costume though?

#598513 08/27/07 01:49 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
Oh for crying out loud, don't you know that the only stories featuring the original Legion were written by Otto Binder.

That horrible revisionist retconner Jerry Siegel ruined everything when he introduced the 'kids of the original Legion'. To make things worse he then retconned his retcon two issues later in his next Supergirl and the LSH story.

Feh I say.... Bring back bubble helmets that cannot possibly be removed from Cos' swollen head, Lightning Boy and Saturn Girl's Yellow uniform.

Message to Dan Didio: BRING BACK OTTO BINDER'S LEGION FOR THE 50th ANNIVERSARY or a whole army of agitated 60 year old nerds who still cant beat themslves out of a wet paper bag after all these years will march on 1700 Broadway.

And yes I am mocking you Legion Fandom because sometimes you sound ridiculous.
Hey...you just need to accept the changes and stop clinging to the past. And the post crisis Legion is the past.....

#598514 08/27/07 04:35 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I will not point out the irony of that statement.
However if Reboot is feeling crusty I'm sure he will.

I have no attachment to the pre-boot/post-crisis/5YL/post-boot legions.

However our party is extremely attached to the pre-Siegel Legion. The conservative wing of our party believes that there are only 2 stories in the true Legion continuity. However the radicals are pushing to admit "Silver Age Stories that do non expressly contradict the two issue continuity as canon." This blasphemy has the makings of a Filloque controversy.

#598515 08/27/07 05:26 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Eando Binder is the writer of the one true Legion. Personally Earl Andrew Binder knew the truth. He wrote about it in his journals. The real sci-fi Legion died with him.

Even with the Binder Legion there is a schism like Shi'a and Sunni.

#598516 08/27/07 05:30 PM
Active
Active
I will not point out the irony of that statement.
However if Reboot is feeling crusty I'm sure he will.
Ironically enough, the irony wasn't lost on me.

I await crusty telling me to shut up again in the midst of defending the purity of retconned out versions of the retcon Legion....that is my kind of irony.

I have no attachment to the pre-boot/post-crisis/5YL/post-boot legions.
I kind of like Gates personally...hopefully he'll be in the LS Legion as a later member.

However our party is extremely attached to the pre-Siegel Legion. The conservative wing of our party believes that there are only 2 stories in the true Legion continuity. However the radicals are pushing to admit "Silver Age Stories that do non expressly contradict the two issue continuity as canon." This blasphemy has the makings of a Filloque controversy.
It's all Mort to me...but I am down with a Binder Legion if it means I get that LL costume back.

#598517 08/27/07 05:37 PM
Active
Active
And after seeing Midge as Vi...I can't accept another Vi ever again I fear.

#598518 08/27/07 05:42 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
This blasphemy has the makings of a Filloque controversy.
rotflmao

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#598519 08/27/07 06:07 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I just saw i typed Filioque incorrectly.

#598520 08/27/07 09:00 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I agree with Superboy on this topic ,To me it's easy to see when the Legion started self destructing and that's when they took Kal-El out of their continuity for he was the foundation on which the Legion was built upon and without him it fails over and over again.

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
#598521 08/28/07 06:08 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Lone Wolf Legionnaire:
I agree with Superboy on this topic ,To me it's easy to see when the Legion started self destructing and that's when they took Kal-El out of their continuity for he was the foundation on which the Legion was built upon and without him it fails over and over again.
Werd!

To be fair...there have been Legion fans that didn't like Superboy from the earliest days of the title...

I was also curious as to why they picked up a title called Superboy or Adventure featuring Superboy, since they didn't like him...but I digress...they've always been there and I would probably miss them if they were to suddenly disappear...

But damned if I want to read their Legion...I've been reading it for 20 years now, it is the status quo, it is the conservative oldschool Legion now...and I'd like a change. I want some f'n time travel and stuff like that.

Keep fighting the good fight...if our segment of fandom had been more vocal in the past, the Legion would not be in the sorry state it is now, fighting for an audience and relevance in a comics industry rapidly forgetting it ever existed. We remained silent for too long and the Kal-El haters took over the book, and the result was just an another Superteam fighting for an audience, in this case losing that battle....we have to remain vigilant bro. DC has to know there are fans that like Superboy in this book...otherwise...the last 20 years all over again.

#598522 08/28/07 09:23 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I once tried to figure out what the general consensus was of the basic and necessary features of the Legion. And one of the points was, the Legion represents the legacy of Superman ten centuries in the future.

There are different ways that this can be reflected in the book. Obviously, it can be done directly, by having Superboy as an actual member. But even if they don't do that it's still true in other ways, like by the participation of Brainiac 5 or Mon-El or Supergirl or even Kent Shakespeare. Given that, it doesn't bother me too much if I don't see Superboy himself. Although it's always nice when he stops by.

#598523 08/28/07 09:44 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Werd Matthew.

Maybe even promote Laurel Kent! (forget the Manhunter nonsense)

The 31st century can have it's own Superman family with Kal, Kara, Laurel Kent, Mon-El, Brainy, and um the, eh, super-pets. Maybe this can be a Grant Morrison annual. wink

#598524 08/29/07 10:09 AM
Active
Active
No Morrisson please. Way overrated writer. I read a lot of stuff he wrote and always was left unsatisfied.

As for Superboy: I guess the main problem is that we are talking (in different threads) about an academic problem because as long as this silly lawsuit with the Siegel family is not closed - could take years couldn't it? - there is no chance in hell that Superboy, whichever version, will return. Currently, they are trying to shoehorn Superman into the old continuity, which would be weird cause as much as the Legion was about being inspired by Superboy, it also was about teenage heroes - which Superman never was (or was he? Does anybody have a continuity bible at hand?).

I personally like the Adult Legion version (Adventure, 5YL) - but I'm not sure who else does except Kent Shakepeare here on the board...

Page 32 of 33 1 2 30 31 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,208
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
SiliconDream
SiliconDream
Columbus, Ohio