Roll Call
0 members (), 24 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/02/24 04:55 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/02/24 04:52 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/02/24 04:44 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/02/24 04:40 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/02/24 04:38 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by stile86 - 05/02/24 04:33 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 1 MAY*
by razsolo - 05/02/24 04:33 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Legion February 2009 Solicitations and Images ... SPOILERS
#602959 11/18/08 12:15 PM
Substitute
Substitute
everything looks cool!

i just don't get why "r.e.b.e.l.s." and not "l.e.g.i.o.n."... and doesn't the plot of rebels look a bit too much like same old same old?

#602960 11/18/08 05:37 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I have all of the Legion Archives.
I can't think of anything worse than seeing all of those stories, stories from my childhood, rewritten and redrawn and represented to the fans.
Rehashing old stories!
Ugh!

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#602961 11/18/08 08:07 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
All of them? Yeah I'd agree but still an opportunity to sit around the campfires and tell tales from a different perspective.

Many of those old Legion stories mention "away" teams. Be nice to complete some of the stories in art.

Canon would be the mess. Additional stories that distorted that would rightly so be pounded on the boards by the old-timers and archives fans.

#602962 11/18/08 08:17 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Untold tales and secret adventures, like the time Star Boy forgot to take his schizo pills and tried to woo a catatonic Stone Boy.

#602963 11/19/08 12:46 AM
Active
Active
Yeah...I'm thinking untold tales, plus, it might not be entirely old continuity. It works for me better than stories with Superman which seem to lack a sense of idealism for some reason. I look at Superman as more of a finished product whereas Superboy really isn't. Somehow it seems like contemporary adventures with Supes would be more predictable...

#602964 11/19/08 12:59 AM
Active
Active
BTW, I've pretty much been willing to give Didio a chance, and I genuinely like many of his ideas. But if he's running off talent at the rate the rumors say he is...he's slitting DC's throat. They'll have to let him go if he's doing things like running Grant Morrison off from the company or having public blowups with the talent...

And I won't attempt to claim everything Morrison writes is gold, but I do know he's best off left to his own devices and uninterfered with...and his stories usually payoff at the end, and that's when they make sense, if ever. Messing with him like this could be a total disaster for DC...you can't end his stuff conventionally, it's not going to fit or make sense, and it's going to be a letdown....it's going to read like a hack job. IT's going to read a whole lot like Countdown if that's what is happening here.

IF all this stuff is true, DC has no choice but to let him go...soon.

And I really hate those Robinson rumors...after struggling to recapture his Starman Magic for many years...he was finally showing signs of doing so, and on Superman no less. His recent stuff in the Jimmy Olsen and Adventure specials had put him back at the top of my must read list every week and had been an extremely satisfying read. And he was doing it with characters I haven't cared about ever...like the Guardian and Newboy Legion. I literally have hated those characters and considered them totally boring...and he had instantly made them interesting to me. He was definitely giving them the Shade treatment. I am sure I am not alone in having waited years for him to recapture the form he showed on Starman and it's a major disappointment to me that DC might be running him off as he's doing so...and it's horrible for DC as they really could use what Robinson has to offer when he's clicking on all cylinders...Superman could really use that as well.

#602965 11/19/08 05:05 AM
Active
Active
wait... james robinson is the guy who wrote the screenplay for league of extraordinary gentlemen, yes? is....is that really a great loss?!! i would have taken his nerd badge from him and banned him from all cons.

anyways. i'm pretty sure editors in chiefs only get fired when they start losing crazy money. not when employees quit because the color of supermans' kryptonite is wrong. i think it's pretty ridiculous how many times i've read "fire dan didio" for pretty much everything from coloring mistakes to "my favorite character died" to "they canceled a book that wasn't selling well!"

really? really? god, that is not how businesses and multimillion dollar companies are run. at all. in the real world, people get fried for real reasons. like punching someone or losing lots and lots of money or saying something really offensive in an interview. i hear people call for resignation or firing for the lamest things but you know, when an exec actually does something offensive and damaging to the company it's remarkable how quiet the fans are.

public blowups? it wasn't a street fight, at least it was IN AN OFFICE. it wasn\'t, i don\'t know, crazy backbiting in an interview... ?

if you look at the big big big company as a whole, how much does james robinson not being there effect the company? how much does even grant morrison effect the company? WE might know who grant morrison is. but i can tell you that if i even polled a COMIC BOOK STORE a lot of people wouldn't know who he is. even the final crisis countdown blahblahblah thing. a lot of people don't actually care that countdown and final whatever lined up. at all. most people, and this will destroy minds i know, DID NOT NOTICE.

most people, horrifying as it is, do not read comics/watch movies/watch tv with any sort of critical eye, instinctively, most people glaze over things that don't quite make sense. batman dark knight is a good example of things that are weird and don't quite make sense but no one really cares because it's cool.

i have provided a list of things that MIGHT actually get him fired.

1) superman/batman: Kiss And Tell Make Up Party

2) Batman and His Barbie Adventures

3) Milestone Comics copyright sold to KKK Grand Wizard

4) Batman: Neverending Rave Party

5) Superman: Drunken Master

6) Catwoman's X-rated Year One.

and some of those might get him a raise if done properly.

#602966 11/19/08 08:32 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Comic book publishers have never run their businesses like other major businesses. It makes me wonder what advertising agencies and other 'art studios' are like. In my industry (reinsurance, mainly based out of Manhattan and London, so yeah, I know its a little extreme), you can't come to work with a five o'clock shadow without being looked down on. Joe Q goes to work in sweat pants sometimes from what I've read. I'm not saying its bad, its just very unusual.

VV, Robinson is a fantastic writer, and you should check out his Starman, Leave it to Chance or even Firearm for examples of that. Every writer has 'oops' moments, and many of them are with screen plays and other stuff. Its usually because sometimes they have a better handle on one medium more than the other.

But if Didio's treatment towards creators drives them away, and the fans are made aware of it, and those of us horrified by DC's output in the last two years can use that to inflate our outrage and demand his <strike>execution</strike> firing, even though the internet is such a minor part of the overall fanbase--well, we're going to do it laugh . I don't know how message board posters got the power they do in regards to having more 'say' than perhaps we should have, but I know we'll never give it up, it can only be taken from us.

PS - Batman / Barbie, especially X-rated by Jim Lee and Frank Miller, would probably be the year's highest selling comic book. :rolleyes: I'd probably by #1. laugh

#602967 11/19/08 08:40 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by veryvery:
wait... james robinson is the guy who wrote the screenplay for league of extraordinary gentlemen, yes? is....is that really a great loss?!! i would have taken his nerd badge from him and banned him from all cons.
Apart from League of extraordinary Gentlemen, James Robinson has written some fantastic stuf... Starman... he brought back the JSA, he did The Golden Age with Paul Smith...

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#602968 11/19/08 09:07 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
veryvery,
Robinson is a fairly polarising figure in my experience. People either really, really like his stuff or it leaves them cold (I'm definitely in the later category, but to each their own). To be fair though, the League movie wasn't really indicative of his comic writing style.

#602969 11/19/08 11:18 AM
Active
Active
again, even then i had to look up who he was. impact on comics = not astounding. i mean, even the artists and writers i truly love, i don't think even most comic book readers know who they are.

as for the casualness of the office place, the game industry and graphic based design companies tend to be like that across the board. i don't know why, amyeb the youth of the industry. i could come to work naked and no one would notice.

#602970 11/19/08 11:47 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by rouge:
veryvery,
Robinson is a fairly polarising figure in my experience. People either really, really like his stuff or it leaves them cold (I'm definitely in the later category, but to each their own). To be fair though, the League movie wasn't really indicative of his comic writing style.
But The Golden Age and Starman are cornerstones of what good comic books are about.

#602971 11/19/08 11:53 AM
Active
Active
again, even then i had to look up who he was. impact on comics = not astounding. i mean, even the artists and writers i truly love, i don't think even most comic book readers know who they are.

as for the casualness of the office place, the game industry and graphic based design companies tend to be like that across the board. i don't know why, amyeb the youth of the industry. i could come to work naked and no one would notice.
However, in publishing industry, such a turnover is very uncommom. One of the main functions of a good editor is to nurture its artists. Dan Didio seems to be doing just the opposite: alienating and messing up with his resources. It is not common at all to see pros like Shooter and Dixon leave a company firing all around (especially since both of them are very corporate-writers).

#602972 11/19/08 12:15 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Ricardo:
But The Golden Age and Starman are cornerstones of what good comic books are about.
As usual, you and I disagree. wink

I got real tired, real fast of Robinson's "Everyone has a Dark Secret/hangup/fetish" Shtick fairly early on. Admittedly I haven't read Golden Age, but reviews have led me to believe it's more of the same.

I'm all for humanising characters, and certainly the JSA and other Golden Agers needed to break out of the cookie cutter mold in that regard, but making them pretty much all messed up and in some cases distinctly unheroic just didn't turn my crank.

That and I attribute a lot of the trend towards excessive decompression as really getting rolling in his works (Look at the Adventure Comics Special where the Guardian spends more panels talking about what happens than we are even shown things happening in).

#602973 11/19/08 01:07 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors

I want to work at your office wink cool

#602974 11/19/08 03:40 PM
Active
Active
[QB] wait... james robinson is the guy who wrote the screenplay for league of extraordinary gentlemen, yes? is....is that really a great loss?!! i would have taken his nerd badge from him and banned him from all cons.
That's the guy VV...I don't know if you were directing that response towards me or not...but like I said, I've been waiting for him to recpature the form he showed on Starman, and obviously, he didn't do it on that screenplay.

What's really funny is that particular mangling was done to the work of Alan Moore...it's almost like he was trying to make Moore look bad.

Robinson hit the comics scene in mid 90's pretty much out of nowhere and produced one pretty well received mini called the Golden Age...and one phenomenal ongoing called Starman.

It's his Starman work that stands apart from every other work of his career.

IMO it was the best comic book series of the 90's...it's one of the best extended runs on a comic in history by a writer. It was just a brilliant piece of work and I have to imagine that even the people that don't like his work acknowledge the craftmanship inherent in the tale of Jack Knight.

It's funny because that series was spun out of Zero Hour which was basically the dark ages of DC Comics in the 90's....nothing the caliber of Starman was expected by fans of DC at that time...especially tied into Zero Hour.

But anyway, that series ran about 80 issues before it was retired when Robinson stopped writing the character and you can tell the sort of reverence that people both in and out of the industry have for that run by the fact that the Jack Knight character has pretty much been retired since Robinson wrote the end of his story. Even DC has left the character untouched out of respect for what Robinson did there...

The rest of what he's done has pretty much been crap, highlighted by the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...quite possibly the worst movie I have ever seen. He had a pretty much lousy run on Batman as well..and truth be told, the start of his Superman run initially looked to be a continuation of the crap he's been writing since ending his Starman run. He wrote some of the most ridiculous Superman dialogue in history at the start of this run...but something started clicking when he wrote that Jimmy Olsen Special and it does appear he's about to put out some of his best work since Starman.

In short...losing the hacking James Robinson is no loss, you are absolutely right...however losing the guy that wrote Starman, when he appears he might be about to work the same sort of magic on a Superman title...is a huge loss for DC and comics in general.

#602975 11/19/08 03:48 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by rouge:
veryvery,
I don't know how polarizing he is or how much it's a case love him or hate him....for me it's more a case of he's written a bunch of total crap...but he also wrote a series I consider to be one the top 5 runs on a monthly comic in history. He maintained a level of excellence on a solo title, matched by only a few writers in history, for over half a decade.

I think that those that love his work love what he did on Starman...and probably most of them are willing to admit he's done some hideously bad work since that time and hasn't come close to approaching his Starrman work.

I remain in disbelief that the guy who wrote Starman also wrote the screenplay for the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. It's truly hard to believe it was the same guy that wrote them both.

#602976 11/19/08 04:31 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm not sure what besides the LoEG screenplay anyone here considers crap written by Robinson. Generally he writes excellent comic books. In my experience that one screenplay is the only bad thing he's written, and hell, there are 1,000's of screenplays written by Geoff Johns and tons of others that are probably crap. That's how screen plays are. Plus, a good screenplay can look like pure crap if the director makes a crappy movie; if the actors don't do the dialogue the right way; if the cinematography looks cheesy; etc. That's not the screenwriters fault. It all lands on the director, always.

#602977 11/19/08 05:43 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
All of them? Yeah I'd agree but still an opportunity to sit around the campfires and tell tales from a different perspective.

Many of those old Legion stories mention "away" teams. Be nice to complete some of the stories in art.

Canon would be the mess. Additional stories that distorted that would rightly so be pounded on the boards by the old-timers and archives fans.
Yah, I used to have enough money to buy those kinds of things.

Anyway ~
I agree that some untold tales would be fun, perhaps as back-up stories like Adventure used to feature.
Something else else like, 'Lost Tales of the Legion' if they decide to go with the Silveragers.

I don't know, I really'd rather have an amalgamated Legion ~ one with Gates and XS General Dreamy and Naga Jeckie and Umbra and kick-butt Vi and Cera Empress/new Fatal Five and Gazelle and all the kids outside Legion headquarters and Kem the lawyer and BB the mechanic and Jewel/Mysa and just so many . . .

and withOUT
finger missing/clingy Tasmia,
weakling/proty Garth,
wierd Sunboy,
narssasistic Nura,
featureless Projectra,
Blok so big he can't move,
Mysa so prissy she runs away to Mordru(ugh),
Cos as TT and . . .

sigh

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#602978 11/19/08 05:48 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Superboy:
Yeah...I'm thinking untold tales, plus, it might not be entirely old continuity. It works for me better than stories with Superman which seem to lack a sense of idealism for some reason. I look at Superman as more of a finished product whereas Superboy really isn't. Somehow it seems like contemporary adventures with Supes would be more predictable...
I'm not happy with the Superman idea, either.
He's supposted to be going into space, though, so maybe it won't happen.

Is there a Superboy in the works somewhere?

I always thought the Legion characterizations improved when Supes left them.

I think I'd rather have DCU guest stars rather then a continuing Supes in the Legion.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#602979 11/19/08 06:14 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I'm not sure what besides the LoEG screenplay anyone here considers crap written by Robinson. Generally he writes excellent comic books. In my experience that one screenplay is the only bad thing he's written, and hell, there are 1,000's of screenplays written by Geoff Johns and tons of others that are probably crap. That's how screen plays are. Plus, a good screenplay can look like pure crap if the director makes a crappy movie; if the actors don't do the dialogue the right way; if the cinematography looks cheesy; etc. That's not the screenwriters fault. It all lands on the director, always.
I agree, especially in a Sci-Fi movie.
And, I thought I recognized Robinson from Marvel.
There was a writer there who was one of their mainstays, wasn't there?

Anyway, I think that writers like
Robinson, Morrison and yes, Shooter, who are legends among fans, should be handled with great respect by the business.

And you never know when you have a budding legend in hand that an incompetent editor is about to fire and send somewhere else to invent someone like Storm and Wolverine.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#602980 11/19/08 09:54 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Screw the Legion!

No mention of the giant, fantastic AMBUSH BUG tpb????

OH. MY. GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#602981 11/19/08 10:12 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
You know... I for one am totally buying the Ambush Bug tpb!

Expect a review next February!

#602982 11/19/08 11:23 PM
Honorary
Honorary
going back on the Robinson/DiDio fallout, from what I understand, James Robinson hasnt quit DC. I believe that editor Matt Idelson has debunked that horrible rumor. both sides considered, what we have seen from Robinson has been phenomenal and Justice League looks promising, especially the Mauro Casioli art. if he had been fired, DC wouldnt have put snippets of Casioli art in the DC Nation panel.

all's I know is Adventure Comics is back and that's wat matters. any guesses on who could be the artist on the book?

How many times do I have to die?!?
#602983 11/19/08 11:44 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
You know... I for one am totally buying the Ambush Bug tpb!

Expect a review next February!
KICK FRICKIN' ASS!!!!!!!!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,059
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
rickshaw1
rickshaw1
South Carolina