Roll Call
0 members (), 37 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Jfposey - 05/07/24 05:19 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/07/24 04:22 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 03:19 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:37 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Re: Legion of Super-Heroes #3 - SPOILERS
#606405 07/21/10 08:54 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well I know THAT.

#606406 07/21/10 09:46 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Solid issue. I really, really like the cover. Cinar does a great job with Sun Boy. The tentacled monster has a nice old fashioned horror comic feel. The superb coloring job pulls it all together.

The artwork inside was nice too. I prefer Cinar, but really can't complain about the Portela pages. The guys all look great. Storytelling, backgrounds, action scenes and facial expressions all look good. I'm not warming up as much to the women, though, but I think that has more to do with the costume designs. Sensor Girl's, in particular is still a sore spot.

Levitz delivers a gaffe free script. The characterization seems right. A hallmark of Levitz earlier work with the Legion was his ability to manage the large cast well. He delivers on that front. I'm ready for next month. Do we really have to wait 30 days? Darn.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#606407 07/21/10 10:46 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I'm actually finding myself enjoying Portela's art a little more than Cinar's! I've complained about Faucher's inks before, but here, the Cinar/Faucher combo resulted in a little too much of a Mark Bagley riff, I thought. This was mostly apparent with the faces. I like Bagley, but the similarities were distracting.

Portela's art, however, just seemed more uniquely his own and an attractive one at that. It's not that Cinar's stuff was displeasing, but it seemed Portela outshined him, at least IMO.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#606408 07/21/10 10:48 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I never got that vibe in terms of resembling Bagley. Cinar is too clean to be mirrored to Bagley.

#606409 07/22/10 12:38 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Jerry:

Levitz delivers a gaffe free script.

Except for the twice committed error of Tyroc's "home planet" being Marzal, not Earth. Unless of course we end up finding out Marzal is now its own planet?

Long Live all them Legions!
#606410 07/22/10 04:44 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Superboy:
Hopefully DC will figure out they should do the same thing with the JSA and use one of their books for telling WWII era tales of the JSA/ASS.

Period comics rule.
That would indeed rock. Rather than endless and failed (and usually ill-conceived right from the start) attempts to recapture old glories, I'd rather see stories set in the past with the original old glories themselves (like the old Invaders book, from Marvel).

A Perez/Wolfman era Teen Titans lineup would, I think, be a heck of a lot more fun to read if it was set back 'a few years' and occured before they went their separate ways, instead of the constant attempts to put them back together. (You could even, instead of a lame attempt to bring back a 'redeemed' clone of Terra or whatever, use the *actual* Terra, in a 'previously undisclosed adventure' with the team, or previously undisclosed adventures with Tula or Kole or Magenta or some other Titans character that got ganked or rendered unusable.)

Similarly, if Adventure is going to do nothing but show us Garth, Imra and Rokk, issue after issue, they don't even have to be members of the current team, and we can see more of people who are supposedly on the team, like Night Girl, XS, etc. who aren't getting any screen time.

The only justification to show case the founders so much during the LSH run is if the Adventure run is showing us early adventures of people we wouldn't see in the 'current' book like Invisible Lyle, Ferro Lad and Chemical King (or even a shocking new addition to the ex-Legion, like a Reflecto or a Quantum Queen!).

Devoting both books to the founders (and Brainy), IMO, is a bit like offering the fans their choice of two flavors, so long as both of them are really the same flavor...

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#606411 07/22/10 05:57 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Chief Taylor:
I'm actually finding myself enjoying Portela's art a little more than Cinar's! I've complained about Faucher's inks before, but here, the Cinar/Faucher combo resulted in a little too much of a Mark Bagley riff, I thought. This was mostly apparent with the faces. I like Bagley, but the similarities were distracting.

Portela's art, however, just seemed more uniquely his own and an attractive one at that. It's not that Cinar's stuff was displeasing, but it seemed Portela outshined him, at least IMO.
I don't think any of the artwork on #3 resembled Bagley's stuff. First of all Bagley's heroes are a bit too skinny, guys and girls alike, for my tastes.
The beauty of the Cinar/Portela/Faucher combination is that it has its own look. Their work is unique, and does not remind me of anybody else's art at the moment. That's why they stand out and we are lucky to have them on-board with the Legion book.
IMHO.

#606412 07/22/10 08:04 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Went to the store just to get this one comic last night...didn't read it till this morning. Wow.

To tell the truth I don't love the Earth Man story but Levitz still has me hooked on it. I thought making him a GL was, er, not interesting. Silly me didn't realize the possibilities. Have a guy that hates aliens being responsible for billions of them.

Another issue calling Jo dumb...eh. Mr. Levitz if you haven't read that annual about Jo & Glorith by the Bierbaums please do. It is one of my favorite issues ever and I'm a die hard Levitz fan. Anyways, love the action and that page with Phantom Girl and the team behind her...GREAT! Knowing Mr. Levitz he just has Jo in deep cover still...acting the dumb jock.

The story of the missing twins (and Mekt's missing twin) have interested me the most. Can't wait for next issue.

I love Mr. Levitz story structure and pace. I always have and nice to know he isn't trying to reinvent himself or the Legion. It really feels like I'm reading a Legion comic 25 years ago. The art keeps getting better and better. Infact I wonder if Mr. Cinar has been looking at old Legion comics (Giffen/Larocque/Lightle) issues because it just feels like it. (It could be Levitz's story structure as well). Every issue I like Cinar's work better and better.

#606413 07/22/10 08:46 AM
G
Active
Active
G
Originally posted by Arm Fall Off Boy:
Originally posted by Jerry:
[b]

Levitz delivers a gaffe free script.
Except for the twice committed error of Tyroc's "home planet" being Marzal, not Earth. Unless of course we end up finding out Marzal is now its own planet?[/b]
Saturn Queen said that he lead his people 'off planet when they didn't understand Marzal'. So, I am guessing that Marzal was relocated and they now call their entire world (assuming there is more to it than that one city any way) Marzal.
As for E-man's mission... did anyone else get the feeling the whole planet was sentient. Kind of like Mogo? Maybe the whole idea was for E-man to drop off the ring there.
All in all a mediochre issue, but not nearly as bad as Adventure #516.

#606414 07/22/10 10:46 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Iam Legion:
Saturn Queen said that he lead his people 'off planet when they didn't understand Marzal'.
I wonder if he relocated his powers when nobody understood those either. smile

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#606415 07/22/10 10:49 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:

Another issue calling Jo dumb...eh. Mr. Levitz if you haven't read that annual about Jo & Glorith by the Bierbaums please do. It is one of my favorite issues ever and I'm a die hard Levitz fan. Anyways, love the action and that page with Phantom Girl and the team behind her...GREAT! Knowing Mr. Levitz he just has Jo in deep cover still...acting the dumb jock.
I have to agree, as much as I'm loving this run, I'm not a fan of Jo as dumb jock.

I got into the legion with the 5 year gap run. Because of that Jo became one of my favorite legion characters... so not really a fan of this particular interpretation.

Currently getting caught up on my Legion history by reading the Post-Zero Hour Legion.
#606416 07/22/10 02:00 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by future king:
Originally posted by Chief Taylor:
[b] I'm actually finding myself enjoying Portela's art a little more than Cinar's! I've complained about Faucher's inks before, but here, the Cinar/Faucher combo resulted in a little too much of a Mark Bagley riff, I thought. This was mostly apparent with the faces. I like Bagley, but the similarities were distracting.

I don't think any of the artwork on #3 resembled Bagley's stuff. First of all Bagley's heroes are a bit too skinny, guys and girls alike, for my tastes.
The beauty of the Cinar/Portela/Faucher combination is that it has its own look. Their work is unique, and does not remind me of anybody else's art at the moment. That's why they stand out and we are lucky to have them on-board with the Legion book.
IMHO.[/b]
Hey, I'm no art expert, and I'm not saying in any way that Cinar's a Bagley clone---just mostly that his faces came off a little Bagley-esque this issue in MY opinion. Cinar is a very competent artist, but I do think his pencils are not being done justice by Faucher's inks, as I've said before. From the uninked pencils we've seen, it's been very clear that Faucher's style overwhelms Cinar's to an extent.

As I've said elsewhere, it's the inker's job to bring out the purity of the pencils. I think it's a different story if the inker is credited with "finishes", rather than "inks", because he's not working from full pencils. The finisher is justified for imposing his style more in those cases.

Yes, I know that many inkers are known for imposing their style on full pencils as well. Dick Giordano, Klaus Janson and Bill Sienkiewicz come readily to mind. Those guys are/were superstars, and pencillers know going in that this will happen. Faucher gets lots of work, but I wouldn't classify him on anyone's radar for legendary inkers.

Poretela's art is Faucher-free and comes off more unique and fresh because of the lack of that outside influence. So his style is more readily apparent, and I really like what I see. If Cinar could get a better/less overpowering inker or be one of those artists whose pencils are scanned directly, I'm sure I'd feel better about his work compared to Portela's.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#606417 07/22/10 02:15 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I agree Chief Taylor. His pencil work is amazing but then the end product isn't as amazing. Larry Mahlstedt? What's he doing?! Or even Mr. Lightle inking him would be amazing!

#606418 07/22/10 03:09 PM
Active
Active
hmmm hey Ultra Jorge...i guess we both can retire our signatures...

your "bring back quislet!" and my "bring back the super cousins" we got our legion back again!!!!

Bring back the super-cousins
#606419 07/22/10 05:22 PM
L
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
L
At the end of their 21st century adventures, Jecky removed the mask/wig illusion and said she wouldn't be needing it any more. I open up LEGION #3 and there it is again!
Please Paul & Yildiray-get rid of it!! Let us see her beautiful face & platinum curls!
On the other hand, I love Element Lad's updated costume.

#606420 07/23/10 06:53 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hey the variant cover version of #3 was delayed a week, or so I was told by the owner of my local comic shop. Is this true or was I being fed a line?
I would love to own that Chameleon Boy cover and add it to my collection.

#606421 07/23/10 07:17 AM
Active
Active
actually i thought the reason jeckie was in the mask or kept it in the first place was because she didn't want criminals to know that most of her new powers were still mostly illusions.

#606422 07/23/10 07:20 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by future king:
Hey the variant cover version of #3 was delayed a week, or so I was told by the owner of my local comic shop. Is this true or was I being fed a line?
I would love to own that Chameleon Boy cover and add it to my collection.
It's true. Panic if you didn't get it after next Wednesday (like me).

#606423 07/23/10 07:48 AM
Leader
Leader
I didn't think the art was as good as last issue, except the cover, which rocked. I too hate Sensor girl's costume and it's not just the mask, though that's the worst part. If her eyes didn't show (as in her original mask) it would look less hokey.

I was confused by what she did in that scene with SQ. Was she using some of her vague Sensor Girl powers or just casting illusions of herself and the others for B5 and Tyroc to attack? If so, that could've been made more clear. Also, SQ could've just dropped her control or redirected her thralls before she got bonked. It also seemed weird to me that she just stood around in deep space waiting for U boy to destroy HQ (and then return to her?). Why didn't she go with him and supervise? Or at least go someplace where she'd be more comfortable.

I've never been a GL afficianado but I've never been aware that the ring was in control of the host. And it's only been recently that I've been aware that the ring could talk to the host. What's up with all that? Seemed like a silly throw away device that was quickly discarded merely for the purpose of tying LSH in with the GL events in DCU.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#606424 07/23/10 08:42 AM
Active
Active
the green lantern part of the story isnt over jim...there's more to come. it maybe over as far as Earth Man goes...but no...it aint over yet.

#606425 07/23/10 09:45 AM
Deputy
Deputy
It seems both artists draw basically the same scene, Cinar on page 5 and Portela on page 18.

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
#606426 07/23/10 10:58 AM
Applicant
Applicant
I echo the sentiment about seeing Jan, Jeckie and Tellus back in action, and the annoyance at Adventure focusing so much on a small group of Legionnaires. I wonder when we'll finally get to see Yera, Lydda (Shady's erstwhile "partner," who keeps appearing without her), the powered-up Luornu, and XS?

#606427 07/23/10 11:56 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
and Thom!

Touch the magic...
#606428 07/23/10 02:19 PM
L
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
L
Prediction: Professor Harmonia Li will be the new Green Lantern.

#606429 07/23/10 02:38 PM
G
Active
Active
G
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
Prediction: Professor Harmonia Li will be the new Green Lantern.
Possibly. I still think the 'bug' world is a Mogo Jr. and the core of a new GL team.

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,196
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP