Roll Call
0 members (), 25 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/01/24 05:05 PM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 1 MAY*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:51 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/01/24 03:50 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Set - 05/01/24 12:17 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:45 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:44 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The LSH in the DC ENCYCLOPEDIA...
#618760 11/09/04 03:55 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by EuroMutt:
Ok, thanks to Reboot, I fixed the typos and some of the other details I totally screwed up on.
If you're fixing simple typos too, it's "Atmos," not "Atamos" tongue

Originally posted by EuroMutt:
However, I didn't fix the 30th century/31st century thing becasue some of the Legion characters are stated to have started out in the 30th c. and some are stated to have started in the 31st c. (characters that "first" appeared simultaniously). I wanted to show some consistancy. Further, even if the Legion started out on January 1, 3000 (which it didn't, because Legion of the Damned clearly states it as the end of the 30th century, which means the team was established for a couple of years before this story) the members were still born, grew up and lived their pre-Legion lives in the 30th century. I know about the slide rule in DCU, but that still doesn't give enough time in the 31st century (four years) for everything to take place.
That's a general sliding-timeline complaint, but I sincerely doubt four DCU years have taken place since Zero Hour (SF3003 just says "a few years," leaving it vague). And specific references like LotD/Legion 1 should just be discounted.

If I had written it, I would have just left all the post-LSH 0 stuff as 31st Century.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#618761 11/09/04 08:54 AM
Honorary
Honorary
Thanks for yet another proofread, Reboot.

-j.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
#618762 11/09/04 09:24 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Oh, and I've figured out why "The Dark Lord"'s first appearance was listed as JSASF1. That's what was given in his "profile" of that issue, since they were trying to hide that it was Mordru (they revealed it at the end of JSA 3, IIRC, and JSASF1 was pre-JSA 1). Still an error, but at least I get why now...

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#618763 11/08/08 12:03 PM
Leader
Leader
Has anybody checked this out? I was flipping through it at the bookstore this morning and the way they handled the Legion is so disjointed and inconsistent it's appalling.

For instance, they list Bouncing Boy who only appeared in the original continuity. They list Triad who only appeared in the reboot, with no listing for Duo Damsel or Triplicate Girl, who is the current incarmation of the character. They list both Lightning Lad AND Live Wire separately, but don't list Lightning Lass at all, and Light Lass is basically just a footnote on the Lightning Lad page. The listing for the Legion shows the current 3boot team, who are on their way out the door. They listed reboot Leviathan (Gim), but I don't think they listed Colossal Boy, not sure though. They listed Dream Girl, but showed her in her Dreamer costume from the reboot. They listed Element Lad but showed him in his Alchemist uniform, all crystallized over like when he was Jarth. It's also sprinkled with annoying typos: Gini Allon, Beep Daggle, etc.

What an utter mess!

In my opinion they should've stuck with one continuity or another consistently, instead of mixing and matching willy nilly.

I guess the Legion will always be DC's redheaded stepchild, alas. (or should I say a Lass?)

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#618764 11/08/08 03:19 PM
Active
Active
So they didn't fix the mess on the previous edition of the Encyclopedia?

#618765 11/08/08 03:27 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I bought the updated version and compared the two when I first got it weeks ago. I wanted to list it all here but haven't had the time. I plan on updating the EG forum with the "new" entires eventually.

The updated version is as big a mess as the original.

#618766 11/08/08 10:21 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Donna Trom:
Titans fans won't find Lilith or Duela Dent in this volume, however.
Boo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lilith deserves to be in.

DC just continues to disappoint me.

#618767 11/09/08 02:58 AM
Active
Active
HAHAHAHA beep daggle ;_;

#618768 11/09/08 04:35 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Askanipsion:
[b] Titans fans won't find Lilith or Duela Dent in this volume, however.

DC just continues to disappoint me. [/b]
That was the previous volume DT was talking about. I'm pretty sure that Lilith (as Omen though - Yuck!) has been added to the update. Along with Mal (Yay!)

#618769 11/09/08 05:05 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Lilith was added as "Lilith." Herald (Vox) too.

#618770 11/09/08 05:56 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
A Quick overview of the update [PART 1] -

Andromeda - "Laurel Gand, a SUPERGIRL analogue in one version of Legion's continuity, cam from the repressive planet Daxam"
Apparition - "In one incarnation of the Legion of Super-Heroes, Apparition is the code name for the Legionnaire known as Phantom Girl..."
Atmos - "In one timeline of the Legion of Super-Heroes..."
Bek, Garryn - no change
Blight - "The techno-organic Blight exist in one timeline inhabited by the Legion of Super-Heroes."
Bouncing Boy - new
Bounty - no change
Brainiac 5 - Updated to 3Boot version
Brande, R.J. - "In one timeline containing the Legion of Super-Heroes..."
Captain Comet - Updated to current version
Celeste - "In one timeline containing an alternate history of the Legion of Super-Heroes..."
Chameleon - Image the same, but info based on 3boot character
Chemical King - no change
Chronos I - Updated with new Atom (Ryan Choi) info
C.O.M.P.U.T.O. - Image reduced to thumbnail - "Several versions of the Computo supercomputer have existed in timelines containing the Legion of Super-Heroes."

#618771 11/10/08 10:33 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Thanks Gary. I remember now. She's wearing the Omen outfit though right? I knew there was something about the entry that bugged.

I bought the first DC Encycolpedia and was supremely disappointed. Some horrible artwork choices and way too many errors and omissions.

Knowing that this update is just more of the same means it is therefore not something I can afford to waste my money on (as tempting as it is with Mal and Lilith finally getting entries).

I just hope that DC is not looking at these books as a substitute for the old "Who's Who" books. They were GREAT! I would love to see an updated version of that with new artwork, more in-depth and better edited entries and so on. If Marvel can have been doing it for a few years now then DC sure as heck should.

#618772 11/10/08 09:32 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Blacula:
Originally posted by Askanipsion:
[b]
[b] Titans fans won't find Lilith or Duela Dent in this volume, however.

DC just continues to disappoint me. [/b]
That was the previous volume DT was talking about. I'm pretty sure that Lilith (as Omen though - Yuck!) has been added to the update. Along with Mal (Yay!) [/b]
Well I liked that Lilith finally became a full telepath as Omen but I hated the "Raven-like" persona she had when she started wearing that awful hooded robe.

She should have wore an Emma Peel catsuit as a costume and possessed the full precognition & telepathy powers.

#618773 11/11/08 09:40 AM
Leader
Leader
I hated "Red Raven" too, Askanipsion. Lilith's my girl though.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#618774 11/11/08 05:06 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
I hated "Red Raven" too, Askanipsion. Lilith's my girl though.
I will NEVER forgive Judd Winick for killing Lilith....that story was so poorly written.

Why would anyone go up and try to touch a berserking "Superman"?????? Then when she is grabbed by the "Superman", instead of teleporting (which she can do) - she decides to SCRATCH the berserking Superman!!

Ugg I get angry every time i think about it.....now Judd is destroying my other favorite Titans.

#618775 11/11/08 09:10 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Quick overview of the update [PART 2] -

Cosmic Boy - Updated to 3Boot version
Dark Lord - no change
Darkseid - No change except ending paragraph to "...and suffered the wrath of Superman who imprisoned him in the Source Wall for a time. The experience temporarily drained Darkseid of his Omega Effect, but despite the return of his abilities he remained unable to prevent the death of the New Gods and the end of the Fourth World."
Dream Girl - not Dreamer, image remained the same but text updated to 3boot
Ekron - new (lame origin)
Element Lad - image remained the same but text updated to 3boot
Fatal Five - images remained the same but some of the text updated to 3boot and recent appearances
Ferro - no change
Garv - removed, not in updated version
Gates - removed, not in updated version
Alien Races and Worlds - no change
Not sure if I should add Imeriex now that he played such a large role in the cartoon...no Legion mention in the Directory however
Insect Queen - no change
Invisible Kid - Updated to 3boot
Justice League of America/Justice Society of America - now with Lightning Saga mentions
Karate Kid - Updated with both 3boot and Countdown versions (image of 3boot version)
Kid Quantum I & II - "In one timeline,..."
Kinetix - no change

#618776 11/16/08 12:35 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Quick overview of the update [PART 3] -

Krypto - new
L.E.G.I.O.N. - same, but added to last line "Vril Dox returned as L.E.G.I.O.N. leader in time for the Rann-Thanagar War."
Legion of Substitute Heroes - no change
Legion of Super-Heroes - Majorly updated to address the reboots and articles on "The Latest Legion" and "The Lightning Saga" - Roster shows the 3boot membership and names - Wanderers also get an image and write-up
Leviathan - Image same - "In one timeline, the Legionnaire Colossal Boy is known as Leviathan...In an alternate Legion timeline, Gim Allon is a member of a race of Antarctic giants who has the ability to shrink to normal human size. He goes by the name Colossal Boy, despite his protests that 'Micro Lad' is more accurate."
Lightning Lord - image same, but updated to include Superman/Batman and 3boot versions of the character
Lightning Lad - new entry of the 3boot character, with the First Appearance, Status, Real Name, etc of Lobo's entry - proof-reading is a lost art ain't it!
Live Wire - a condensed version of the previous book
Lobo - no changes
Magno - Wow! They removed Gates, but kept this one intact, DC has some nerve!
Matter-Eating Lad! I'm not making this up folks! Gets a recap of both the original and 3boot versions - The writers deserve a raise for such high quality work
Mon-El (Valor) - not M'Onel (Valor) - Updated to the 3boot version
Monstress - image reduced, otherwise no change
Persuader - new entry, discusses the various versions
Polar Boy - Updated? "In the Legion's future, Polar Boy fought the ant-alein regime that had taken control of Earth, helping Supermanand his fellow Legionnaires despite his loss of his arm. In an alternate Legion timeline, Brek Bannin became a member of the Wanderers under the leadership of Garth Ranzz (see Lightning Lord).
Princess Projectra - new entry of both the original and the 3boot version - image 3boot
R.E.B.E.L.S. - no entry
Saturn Girl - Updated to 3boot
Saturn Queen - Based mostly on the Superman/Batman and Supergirl version
Sensor - no entry, removed
Shrinking Violet - 3boot version added to original entry

#618777 11/16/08 01:37 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
I am positive in the original DC Encyclopedia, Herald had an entry there...I am sure of it. I remember comparing pages and pages, his entries and Doom Patrol entries.

#618778 11/16/08 10:14 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^^^ Really? OK - I must've just gotten overly excited that they'd kept him in the new one that I forgot he was also in the old one. Thanks supes.

#618779 11/18/08 08:07 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Quick overview of the update [PART 4] -

Spark - "In another timeline containing the Legion of Super-Heroes, Ayla Ranzz is known as Light Lass and possesses the ability to alter the gravity of objects. This ability is a new one, replacing her previous possession of lightning powers like those of her brother Garth."
Star Boy - Updated to include all three Star Boys. Image unchanged.
Brief mention of Starman VIII (See Star Boy) in the Starman piece.
Strata - no change
Sun Boy - new entry which lists the recent Action Comics version as the "second" Sun Boy and the 3boot as the third. Now even the writers admit they aren't the same. wink Image of 3boot.
Suicide Squad features the 20th Century male Persuader as a member.
Superboy - Updated double-page spread of Kon-El.
Supergirl - did I forget to include her the first time?
Superman - Mentions that the LSH were re-instated into his history. Also, note about Superman-Prime.
Tharok - no change
Thunder - no change
Timber Wolf - no changes, including listing his first appearance as LEGION WORLDS #6. Maybe they got tired of updating towards the end? smile
Time Trapper - new entry
Triad - no change, yup they gave up!
Ultra Boy - Added "Multiple versions of Ultra Boy exist in different timelines, but in nearly all of them he is Jo Nah of the planet Rimbor." Otherwise no change...lazy!
Umbra - no entry! Wait! They remove Umbra, but don't give Shadow Lass an entry. But, Thunder and Magno, etc. are still in?!? What the sprock!
Wanderers - Slightly updated to give a more vague future for the team.
White Witch - no change
Wildfire - No change beyond the First Appearance (back to the original). These writers phoned in the last few letters of the alphabet didn't they.
XS - surprise...no change!

I also want to point out that they use Francis' art work for at least the Brainiac 5 and Saturn Girl entries (maybe more), but do not credit him as an artist. For shame. Not a quality job.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,048
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden