Roll Call
0 members (), 42 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Ann Hebistand - 05/05/24 05:14 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/05/24 05:12 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by thoth lad - 05/05/24 03:56 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 03:34 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added EYEFUL ETHEL & SUNSWORD 5 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 01:51 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 01:14 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 01:13 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 01:11 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Action Comics #6 Preview/ Reviews (Spoilers)
#622099 01/26/12 06:19 PM
A
Honorary
OP Offline
Honorary
A
It's up on comicbookresources.com, specifically:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=11285

Morrison, embedded time travel and the Legion. Trippy stuff.

Re: Action Comics #6 Preview/ Reviews (Spoilers)
#622100 01/26/12 08:43 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
hmmm...the fact that the pitch describes the Legion as 'suspiciously different' makes me think maybe this isn't actually our Legion at all and they are capitalising on Superman's fuzzy memories of the future to scam him...

#622101 01/27/12 05:50 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by razsolo:
hmmm...the fact that the pitch describes the Legion as 'suspiciously different' makes me think maybe this isn't actually our Legion at all and they are capitalising on Superman's fuzzy memories of the future to scam him...
They are certainly suspiciously different. "Imra Ardeen" (no -Ranzz) from Saturn's "rebel moon". And Imra needing to explain she is telepathic to Rokk? And that's ignoring the ages, costumes and Man/Woman names.

Of course all of these could be down to Morrison's story-telling.

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#622102 01/27/12 06:57 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I don't think she was explaining it to Rokk, I think it was just playful banter after he accused her of being a groupie.

#622103 01/27/12 07:36 AM
in hiding
in hiding
Maybe this is Morrison's way of retconning the original Adult Legion (which was retconned to be an alternate universe back in #300). Or, to remain consistent with #300, it could even be a previously unseen adult legion. There are, after all, an infinite number of possibilities, including this being the three founders of the LSV in disguise (I haven't seen Rokk do anything magnetic yet).

First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. The rest is history.
#622104 01/27/12 10:01 AM
K
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
K
I really don't care for the art. I hate the costumes, but that's a minor point in a possibly-imaginary/maybe-alternate-timeline type story. The dialog from both the K-villains and the "Legionnaires" seems forced. People don't talk like that, unless its to small children and I am no small children. smile I won't be buying it, but (sigh) y'all let me know if any important happens...

RainbowGirl

#622105 01/27/12 01:28 PM
K
Active
Active
K
I don't see why people think this can be anything *except* the Adult Legion. Remember that the Adult Legion appeared--still as an alternate timeline--in Superman/Batman (along with the Adult LSV). This was several years pre-Flashpoint, but it's still modern enough that you don't need to be a fan of 30 year old stories to know about it.

Even if it's the LSV in disguise it's probably the LSV from the alternate timeline disguised as the Adult Legion from the alternate timeline.

I must say, though, that what little we saw in #5 disappointed me. When you hear that the Legion shows up in a story related to Superman's origin, you'd think they'd have something to do with the origin, like, I don't know, recruiting him as a member as Superboy and generally appearing as contemporaries of his younger self. Having them appear by time travel and alternate timelines is a copout.

#622106 01/28/12 03:05 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Nice how they kept Rokk's receding hairline.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#622107 01/28/12 03:11 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Dark Circle ? is that them?? page 2.

#622108 02/01/12 06:44 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Holy Crow on a stick that was great. No spoilers, but a good legion issue with awesome little touches (Garth's arm!). I want more Morrison Legion. Now, please.

#622109 02/01/12 04:31 PM
Active
Active
I thought it was silly

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">It was called when Superman learned to fly but should really have been when superman first flew with a flight ring when he was about 10. Ten years after that he still couldn't fly</span></span>

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">the villains were in Superman's brain during his jeans year -5 period but were still there in the current Superman's brain 5 years later which meant they had lived in his brain for 5 years after the plan failed and they still expected it to work</span></span>

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">even more rediculous, the Legion was living with them in disguise all the time ie for over 5 years</span></span>

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Garth's arm was mechanical. As an adult!!</span></span>

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">but for me the worst thing was the age of the Legionnaires. Saturn Woman, Lightning Man and Cosmic Man from an unspecified point in the Legion's future. Why introduce an adult Legionat all? Why could the current aged Legion have not taken part in that story?</span></span>

"You were kids"
#622110 02/01/12 06:47 PM
Active
Active
I think it's a new version of Legion Of Super-heroes, after Flashpoint. The costumes of the young legionnaires are the same we see in Legion Origin.
Maybe the currents titles are going to be cancelled in a nearby future and this new legion will be the connected one with Superman.
And everything returns to begin again....

From UK with glamour.
#622111 02/01/12 10:12 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Thumbs up from me. Admittedly, hard to figure out how it fits in with the Legion appearing in their own book, but I enjoyed Morrison's take on the personalities of Imra, Garth and Rokk. More insight into Clark's past.

The back up story was touching. Does Pete's tee shirt hint at a Legion connection for him and Lana in the new DC universe?

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#622112 02/02/12 06:50 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
SAL, I think you are a little off on the timeline.

Modern Supes gets shot by Nimrod and has the bullet lodged in his brain. The Legion comes and collects him and takes him back in time to save the engine core. They discover the plot and the Legion then goes forward in time, takes the Sisterhood's place and enters the bullet. Once they defeat the Anti-Superman Army, they wait for their future selves to get Superman back to his home time, get out, and go back to collect Superman.

They were not in the bullet for 5 years. None of the villains were.

#622113 02/02/12 07:05 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Yes, in spite of some really cool concepts that's the main weakness of the story. It is kind of confusing. It combines Morrison's "don't spoon feed the reader " subtleness with time hopping with DC's approach of being ambiguous about continuity in the new DC universe. Triple threat. Ouch!

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#622114 02/02/12 08:18 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:

Modern Supes gets shot by Nimrod and has the bullet lodged in his brain. The Legion comes and collects him and takes him back in time to save the engine core. They discover the plot and the Legion then goes forward in time, takes the Sisterhood's place and enters the bullet. Once they defeat the Anti-Superman Army, they wait for their future selves to get Superman back to his home time, get out, and go back to collect Superman.

OK thinking about this again you are right but it means that the anti-superman army can also time travel. Time travelling villains always leads to paradoxes like if they are from five years in the future, then they knew they didn't succeed just as Superman knew.

Why didn't they go back further and divert baby Kal-El's ship into a red sun or some other less convoluted way of killing him?

"You were kids"
#622115 02/02/12 08:48 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Well, since the main villain is Mxyplyzyk who exists outside of the fourth dimension (time) and in the Fifth, I suspect he pulled all the villains from their timepoints (I loved the "Give In! Kent Next!" bit with him).

In the broader context, this was always an issue, especially with villains like the Time Trapper, so you just have to accept paradoxes and assume there are "rules" in place to keep this kind of thing from happening.

#622116 02/04/12 02:46 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
There was a Tromite in the bullet, wasn't there?
That's interesting to me, since it means that Trom is already populated and the people are already able to change elements.

I WAS a little confused by the story, since I didn't recognize most of the bad guys or really understand why they'd choose to be in a bullet universe inside of Kal's brain.
confused

Kubert's art was lovely and he did pretty well visually telling a complex and strange story.

It also quickly establishes that Kal was a member of the Legion when he was a boy.
nod

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#622117 02/07/12 07:51 AM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
Candlelight:

That's interesting to me, since it means that Trom is already populated and the people are already able to change elements.
Who knows what's considered canon anymore, but I believe that it was established that Dagon-Ra, a villain in the L.E.G.I.O.N. series, was a twentieth-century Trommite.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#622118 02/07/12 09:11 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Since Mxyplyzyk was presumably pulling in the villains from across time, there's nothing to say his Trommite assistant was from the 21st Century. She could have been pulled form anywhere.

#622119 02/07/12 09:58 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:

Hmmm...I only read through it once, but I hadn't figured any of that out. When it comes to time travel plots, I usually just give up.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
#622120 02/08/12 09:51 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I didn't even recognize Myx was in the story - I didn't really recognize ANY of the villians.
frown
The story as a whole made little sense to me, it was just beautiful to look at and fun to see the Legion with Superman.
nod

That .LEGION story is way out of this boot so it may or may not still be fact, I think, and he was never named as a Trommite, IIRC.
He just had the same powers as a classical Trommite.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#622121 02/08/12 01:10 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Candlelight:
I didn't even recognize Myx was in the story - I didn't really recognize ANY of the villains.
frown
The little guy is Mxy (note how he disappears by saying his name backwards and Imra misinterprets it).

The Guy with the hat and gun is probably Nimrod the Hunter, mentioned as putting the bullet there to begin with, but possibly a new Terra-man

The Evolving creature they fight together is kind of an updated Titano.

The Masked/Bandaged man the Legion fight is one of the Kryptonians from the Phantom Zone that Krypto attacked back in issue #5 (Note they have the same claw). Presumably he's in lead-lined shielding to tolerate the K-men. He's quite likely either Zod or Jax-Ur

The K-men are Kryptonite Men, each representing a different colour (extensions of the original K-Man concept).

#622122 02/09/12 02:06 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Oh.
Thanks, Dave!

Well, I hate to reveal this, but even though I bought the new Superman, Superboy, Supergirl and Action comics, of the 52, I haven't gotten around to actually reading any of them yet, except for Supergirl.
:embarrassedsigh:

I don't recognize any of the names except for Mxy and Zod, of course.
shrug
And I've been reading Superman for quite a bit of my life.
gads

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#622123 02/27/12 10:25 AM
K
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
K
I still don't get the "all languages are the same language" comment. Sure, that works if there is a living being thinking about something in another language, but Imra shouldn't be able to translate written or recorded languages. At least not using telepathy.

EsperLass

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,132
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP