Roll Call
0 members (), 20 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/01/24 05:05 PM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 1 MAY*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:51 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/01/24 03:50 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Set - 05/01/24 12:17 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:45 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:44 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Legion gone, but L.E.G.I.O.N. is back
#622634 10/03/08 12:59 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Phantom Girl:
I haven't read or collected much of the L.E.G.I.O.N. comic. Can someone take the time to tell me why they wrote it like an acronym? What does it stand for? Why do all the characters look different? No costumes? Honestly, if they didn't have L.E.G.I.O.N. on the cover, I wouldn't have known it was a Legion comic. Is this the 5 year gap I have heard about? What exactly was the 5 year gap? What is all this talk about REBELS about? Essentially explain to me what the comic was all about. Please. Also are we totally sure that they are doing this or is it still speculation?
No this is not the 5 Years Latter... you have heard about. That was Legion of Super Heroes volume 4 issue 1-61 and Legionaries 1-18. The 5years Latter... stroyline was when Giffen relaunched the series after the Levitz series. He jumped the timeline up 5 years and started from there. In that time the Legion had been disbanded and Earth was secretly under the control of the Dominators. The series started up with Chameleon Boy deciding that the LEgion had been goen too long and that they were needed again, and he sets out to reunite the team and figure out whats going wrong on Earth.

The LEGION series came out of the Invasion mini series. In Invasion we meet Vril Dox II who along with some other prisoners of the Allience go on to form the core group that becomes LEGION. After deafeting the Computer Tyrants of Colu the group becomes a interplantary protection service. Basically cosmic rent-a-cops.

REBELS came about after Vril Doxs and another core member Stealths evil son took over the orginaztaion through mind control. It was mostly about Vril and the others that were immune to little Doxs mind control figuring out how to deafeat him and take back LEGION.

These are the main ties L.E.G.I.O.N had with Legion:

Vril Dox and Lyrl Dox - ancestors of Brainiac 5
Lyrissa and Lydia Mallor - ancestors of Shadow Girl
Durlan - was the time lost RJ Brande founder of the Legion and father of Chameleon Boy
Phase - ties to Phantom Girl/was Phantom Girl (very complicated)
Lar Gand (Valor/Mon-El) - was a member before he was put into the Phantom Zone briefly
Garryn Bek - used the Emerald Eye for a while
Strata - a member of Blok's race
Computer Tyrants of Colu - became Pulsar Stargrave.

#622635 10/03/08 04:03 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Ricardo:
Originally posted by Phantom Girl:
[b] the whole Hero for Hire approach I think I loathe.
It's not really a hero for hire as Marvel characters or even The Conglomerate. It's way more subtle. Like a government hiring them to solve problems all around. [/b]
I'd describe it more as, a group of waywards mostly extorted by a maniacle to do his bidding, which is to extort governments to hire him to to solve problems they didn't know they had until he caused them, mostly because he has an obsession with the ridding of bad-guys and nothing much else to occupy his time.

Like Ricardo, I never considered this in anyway a Legion book but it's loose connection did provide added interest to me. Mostly I liked that it was out in space and that Dox is who I'd want to be, except for that whole being "raped/cannibalized" thing.

#622636 10/03/08 05:47 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Kahn ~ I'm sorry I made it sound like I thought the 2 story lines were somehow together in my mind. I probably confuse people a lot!
To clarify, I hope: Geoff Johns' Legion, the one that brings back some of the original Legion team members, seem rather unhappy, disillusioned and unteamlike to me.
I tried to compare their outword attitudes with the way the Legion was portrayed in the Giffen run, which was in the same 'boot' as the original Legion, just 5 years further along in their lives.

Moving on, I agree with dotLegion not really being a Legion book but there were many more similarities or small connections then mentioned so far.
There was a small group of dotLEGION trainies who were similar to both the Subs and the Academy in nature and handling, IMO.
We saw various planets/natives/powers that were ancestors or shadows of Legionlore.
There was, briefly, an element manipulator like Jan.
The first major villian, a fire user/mentalmanipulator, Barry's introductory image of her is still so strongly in my mind, was building a super-villian group.
Lyddea went to Talok to receive her Mallor shadow powers.
Having Jo Nah (the original)grief over loosing Tinya and his hope when he came looking for Phase was great. Then the boot changed the older man's grief into a reunionification/resurection of teenPhase. . .
Lots of great stuff, I think!

I don't know.
dotLEGION just seems more closely connected to the Legion in my mind, then others may feel.
I know that in the lastboot, when Brainy seemed so cold and supermanipulative, I thought of the LEGION.
And when the team was divided against him, some trying to stop his plots and others trying to aid him, it was familiar from the LEGION era.

With all that, I DO agree that no one needs to read dotLEGION to try to understand Legion. Unless this new LEGION is going to be more closely connected to the new Legion.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#622637 10/03/08 11:52 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
What if Action Legion goes back in time and becomes L.E.G.I.O.N. after Lo3W?

#622638 10/04/08 12:39 AM
Ricardo Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
What if Action Legion goes back in time and becomes L.E.G.I.O.N. after Lo3W?
That would suck just as much as Legion on The Run. Or the Reboot.

#622639 10/04/08 06:40 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Not a fan of that idea either. L.E.G.I.O.N. is well established and separate entity from LSH and personally I prefer that. I'm not sure what I'd want to become of the L3W Legion but I know I want L.E.G.I.O.N. to stay intact.

#622640 10/05/08 12:31 AM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
A new dotLegion book sounds great to me. It was always one of my favorites up until near the end of its run when the quality really seemed to fade. Evrey now and then we see them popup in current DCU titles and minis, it'll be good to see them carry their own title again.

oh and just an aside, I've always considered dotLegion to be somekind of precursor to the Science Police

#622641 10/05/08 06:26 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
What? You didn't like the talking tree? wink

"precursor to the Science Police"

That's an interesting thought. A 1000 years is a long time but the idea had to come from something. Darkstars seemed to be heading there but kind of fell by the wayside.

Eithe Lyl or Dox, egos that they were, would have left a trace of themselves somewhere to influence future police forces. Be funny if that popped up.

#622642 11/14/08 01:47 PM
Ricardo Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
It seems that L.E.G.I.O.N. will not be back, but rather R.E.B.E.L.S. Has anyone else read that somewhere? That would be awful...

#622643 11/15/08 05:37 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I liked dotREBELS more than most here, it seems (I'll admit it took a rereading from start to finish a few years AFTER it was published to improve my opinion, and I stil thought the ending was WAY off) so I'm not completely against this.

A lot of it, for me, will depend on the characters included in the story.

And honestly, I think I prefer only one LEGION team, and LSH will trump dotLEGION every time there for me.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#622644 11/17/08 08:38 AM
Ricardo Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
So dotREBELS it is. Since I never compared LEGION to LSH, for me, it's kind of a mute point to redo REBELS, which was a loser book from the beginning. I'll give it about 12 issues to be canned for good all over again.

#622645 11/17/08 08:56 AM
Honorary
Honorary
So far I haven't seen this news anywhere. Can anyone confirm?

"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe."

-Edmund Burke
#622646 11/17/08 08:58 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer

#622647 11/17/08 09:02 AM
Honorary
Honorary
Well there you go, totally missed that. Thanks!

"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe."

-Edmund Burke
#622648 11/17/08 10:20 AM
Honorary
Honorary
Just saw this linked from Newsarama

-Edmund Burke
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,049
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
googoomuck
googoomuck
Minneapolis Minnesota