Roll Call
0 members (), 55 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/14/24 09:18 PM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by Pov - 05/14/24 09:11 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/14/24 08:53 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/14/24 08:52 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Sarcasm Kid - 05/14/24 08:49 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/14/24 08:44 PM
Legion of Super-Heroes Fansets Pins
by Nightcrawler - 05/14/24 08:43 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/14/24 08:42 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Re: Legion costumes - rants!
#622878 06/18/10 02:30 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Ok...we are all a little upset with the legion's current costumes. Other than Dave Cockrum and early Giffen is there anyone who gets the future look of our team??? I am also going to join the band wagon and say I also do not like Tyroc's new look but THRILLED to have him back! Come on keep them simple..based on the Cockrum look but updated for 2010 and get rid of those Legion belt buckles..hate them...these people are individuals from different planets that for years never had those things. Let the flight ring be the only "L" thing. Shrinking Violet's current costume is the worst...put her back in the Cockrum costume in violet ala Giffen circa issue 301-304.

#622879 06/19/10 07:23 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I bet if Mike Grell was in charge of designing costumes for the 2010 Legion we would see some interesting and pretty cool designs. I mean the man has still got it ... just pick up a copy of this month's Giant Sized X-Man Forever #1 and you'll see what I mean. Grell certainly has amazing talent in abundance. I have always LOVED when he's inked his own pencils as well.

Plus it would be so awesome to have the man that drew the series almost 40 years ago be the one designing costumes for the same team in the here and now.

Oh well, I can dream can't I?

#622880 06/19/10 08:06 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Are any of these to your liking, Imiskian.
As you can see, I've been messing around with the original Grell design.

Put me in the camp of wishing they stayed with the Cockrum designs,we have seen the rest now bring back the best.

Steve Lightle did some great designs as well, and I to hate the belt buckles.

[Linked Image]

Right on Future King,I didn't even know about Giant Sized X-Man Forever #1, until I seen it at the comic book store, Grell, Imperial Guard, Sold!

I Think DC should go a step further, and have their stable of artists design a bunch of different costumes for the Legionnaires, and let us fans vote on the ones we like best.

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
#622881 06/19/10 11:43 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Those blown up pictures of Tyroc are cool. That thing I thought was hair (or headgear) turns out to just be a funky shadow!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#622882 06/19/10 05:09 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
Originally posted by imskian78:
Ok...we are all a little upset with the legion's current costumes.
I'm fine with the current costumes. When did I say I was upset??

#622883 06/19/10 05:37 PM
Active
Active
What is all this stuff about the age and the costumes..
Shadow Lass look beautiful in this Cockrum Style.
I don't want The legion of Super-nuns or the super-mummys.
In addition there are other girls who always were very covered....like Luornu, Violet, Lydda (except in the Mike Grell era), Tinya...
The sexy ones always were Nura, Jeckie, Tasmia and Imra in the pik bikini.

From UK with glamour.
#622884 06/19/10 08:51 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
I also like Tyroc's new look.

Now if we could just get rid of Yera's hair... laugh

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#622885 06/19/10 08:53 PM
I also think most of the current costumes are all right. Certainly most of the newer ones are no more ridiculous than some of their predecessors. Maybe I've just mellowed in my old age or something.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#622886 06/19/10 09:02 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
IMHO, there have been better ones, but the current ones are generally not particularly bad. They could be better, but I can't say I hate the current looks.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#622887 06/19/10 09:03 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Dan Jurgens sometimes has a knack for good costume designs.

Not many masters out there today like Gil Kane or Dave Cockrum, but I think it's more of artists not often getting the chance to do it more like they used to.

#622888 06/19/10 09:31 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I generally really, really love the current Frank costumes. That said, Phantom Girl, Sensor Girl, Chameleon Boy and Ultra Boy's are my bottom four so if someone wanted to change them up a bit I wouldn't object.

I do hate Tyroc's new costume though. Really, really hate it. I hardly ever go on Facebook but I'm tempted to do so just to ask Paul to change it. Tyroc used to stand out in a crowd in his eye-popping outfit. His current look is an insult to the word 'boring'.

#622889 06/19/10 11:06 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^ I like Yera's hair. laugh

Just goes to show - pleasing comics fans = impossible!

#622890 06/19/10 11:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I actually like Tyroc's costume as well and it's great seeing him in action again.

Looking forward to reading #2!

#622891 06/20/10 12:12 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by EmeraldEmpress:
What is all this stuff about the age and the costumes..
Shadow Lass look beautiful in this Cockrum Style.
I don't want The legion of Super-nuns or the super-mummys.
In addition there are other girls who always were very covered....like Luornu, Violet, Lydda (except in the Mike Grell era), Tinya...
The sexy ones always were Nura, Jeckie, Tasmia and Imra in the pik bikini.
The problem is that she's pathetic, just like the TV/movie/music stars who wear clothes that are not even appropriate for teens.
Pathetic and slutty, imo.

It's especially hard after Tasmia had the beautiful early costume in the reboot and the interesting costume in Prime.
Even her origial boot costume for this era was beautiful and appropriate (black body suit).

This suit is sexist to the maximum.
The only thing worse would be a G-string.
frown

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#622892 06/20/10 10:15 AM
D
Applicant
Applicant
D
Its so great to have Tyroc back! I didn't really like the costume at first, but the more i see it the more its growing on me. I guess i was just hoping for more of a throwback to his 70's costume, but hey, i'll take what i can get.
As for Shady's costume, Tasmia is probably just from a culture that is not so hung up on covering one's body or repressing sensuality. Its kind of like how girls can walk around topless on the beach in most of Europe and no one thinks anything of it, where here in the states its considered unlawful and sinful. If people are thinking she looks slutty or inappropriate because of a skimpy or tight outfit, its probably just from their own puritanical beliefs, which of course they're entitled to . I personally love shady's skimpier outfits. I think she looks like a powerful, athletic woman similar to how wonder woman looks strong and powerful in her uniform.
Anyway, I'm loving Levitz' Legion so far! Cant wait 'til Wednesday!

#622893 06/20/10 10:23 AM
[snip]

dancelad:

...If people are thinking she looks slutty or inappropriate because of a skimpy or tight outfit, its probably just from their own puritanical beliefs, which of course they're entitled to...
Gee, Thanks! :rolleyes:

Wake me when Lar and Jo are also strolling around wearing next to nothing, okay?

[ETA: The "topless on the beach" argument really only works if one assumes that battle conditions are customarily similar to an afternoon relaxing on the beach.]

#622894 06/20/10 07:25 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Originally posted by cleome:

Wake me when Lar and Jo are also strolling around wearing next to nothing, okay?

I see that you had to name specific Legionnaires to ask that question, since if you didn't, people could bring up Tyroc or Cosmic Boy's old costumes.

#622895 06/20/10 07:42 PM
And when, pray tell, was the last time we saw any guys dressed like that in this comic or any other superhero book in recent memory, Ken?

No, sorry. You can point out as many temporary exceptions as you like. Still, the big picture points overwhelmingly to the fact that the straight boys peddling these books can dish it out, but they can't take it.

#622896 06/20/10 07:46 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Hawkman wears no shirt, and I think you'd have to go back to Guy Gardner Warrior to find anouther hero like that...

She has a poit boys.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#622897 06/20/10 07:52 PM
I kind of like what this blog has to say about the phenomena of male vs. female epidermis , personally.

#622898 06/20/10 09:08 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I agree with cleome that the double-standard re: male and female exposed flesh in comics is ridiculous and hypocritical.

Shady is wearing next to nothing and look at all the complaints that a few of the guys have EXPOSED ARMS for Grife's sake!

And heaven forbid a male character have shorts instead of long pants.

TPTB have even had to add ugly, boring-looking black pants (which totally clash with the rest of his costume) to the Martian Manhunter in place of his classic pants and now he looks awful IMO.

#622899 06/20/10 10:30 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
I love Shady's blue skin, so I love it exposed.
Although, of course it's totally impractical!
I'm all for more male flesh exposure, but that's not gonna happen as long as most comic book creators are straight, male nerds. I call it," Fear of the Bulge" syndrome!!
Even some modern artists I love, like Alan Davis & Chris Sprouse, seem to suffer from it.
Luckily, guys like Arthur Adams, Ed Benes, Phil Jimenez & Adam Hughes don't seem to have a problem with sexualizing & objectifying the guys as much as they do the gals.
Same with Steve Sadowski(who's bulges on the JSAers are legendary) & Olivier Coipel.

#622900 06/21/10 02:07 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Seems like the more that Shady is portrayed as a fierce warrior, the less clothes she wears. I would think that the opposite would be true, that a warrior would be covered for protection.

Still, I hate to see that she and Lar have brokenup, I thought they complimented each other well.

So what.
#622901 06/21/10 05:07 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by duck458:
Seems like the more that Shady is portrayed as a fierce warrior, the less clothes she wears. I would think that the opposite would be true, that a warrior would be covered for protection.
Total agreement there. I could easily rationalize that her powers protect her from energy weapons to a limited extent (negating / dampening radiant energy that reaches her skin), or that Talokkians are just naturally thick-skinned sun-leathered warrior-people, due to the harsh desert environment they grow up in, but I shouldn't have to make stuff up to rationalize why Shady dresses so ridiculously.

If anything, it should be the writer's job to explain such things and make them work within the continuity (or just lampshade them, like in the various issues of Gen 13 where Fairchild's top rips and she spends half a combat with an arm over her chest complaining about how this never happens to any of the other girls on the team).

Anywho, Mon & Shady, and perhaps Gim & Yera, were the two couples I *least* wanted broken up.

I mean, good grief, they are working on some May/December relationship between grumpy old man Brainy and tweenie Supergirl, which has been over since the original Kara died in the '80s, out of what can only be nostalgia, since the two characters have nothing in common and are wildly different characters than the outgoing Brainy and mature Kara who actually liked each other almost three decades ago, so I totally don't get the need to break up people who've been together since then...

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#622902 06/21/10 05:17 PM
Active
Active
Yeah, I'm going to have to ask you to speak for yourself. I'm not upset at all. I quite like the Frank designed costumes for the most part. They actually look like something people might actually wear.

Took me a while to find a pic of Tyroc's new costume. Doesn't do too much for me but hey, anything is better than that 70's peek-a-boo Elvis with elf boots thing. Certainly it stood out but it was pretty freaking ridiculous.

In a lot of ways I wish there wasn't such an emphasis on a need for overly specific costumes. Hell, if I was a super-hero, I'd want to demonstrate my super fashion sense and mix it up a bit.

Is that a moon?
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,318
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires