Roll Call
0 members (), 6 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by thoth lad - 05/18/24 05:32 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/18/24 02:49 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/18/24 02:48 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/18/24 02:48 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/18/24 02:47 AM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/18/24 02:47 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 05/17/24 09:00 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/17/24 07:33 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Your First Time
#63432 01/18/08 04:38 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
When was the first time you laid eyes on what was to later become your favourite legionnaire?

For me, I borrowed my older brother's Adventure Comic with the cover story, "Civil War of the Legion". This was the first Legion story I ever read. Triplicate Girl was only in a couple of panels. She basically explains to Superboy that most of the Legionnaires are on a distant space mission with Mon-el and then she brings him to the archeolgical dig where the remaining Legionnaires are. She volunteers to stay behind when the rest of the Legionnaires go off on their adventure into the past.

She was the only Legionnaire in the story not to use her super-power so I had to guess what it might be. I didn't know at the time that she would become my favourite but there was something about her cute, flip hairstyle that I liked.

She didn't become my all-time favourite legionnaire until after she became Duo Damsel and Jim Shooter worked his magic on her. Up to that point I think Chameleon Boy was my favourite, at least his was my favourite power visually.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
Re: Your First Time
#63433 01/18/08 05:30 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
The story you cite, Man From Cargg, was originally published in Adventure Comics # 333 and later in LSH v. 1 # 2. It was the second Legion story I ever read, and my second exposure to Triplicate Girl. She didn't use her powers in either story, so I, too, was puzzled as to what she did. Nevertheless, she seemed important, as she did a lot of the talking and directed people where to go. I didn't realize until my third Legion story that she and Duo Damsel were one and the same.

As for my favorite character, that would be Mon-El, who graced the cover of my first Legion story, LSH v. 1 # 1, albeit in an unflattering position. Superboy has grabbed onto his legs and is swinging him into a street fixture. Mon cries out, "Help! Superboy's gone mad!"

I was intrigued by Mon's costume, which was essentially the same as Superboy's but with the colors reversed. In the story, he's identified as one of the most powerful Legionnaires, though he isn't shown doing anything. In my next Legion story, as mentioned above, he arrives in time to same to save the day, and even wears Superboy's costume so the latter gets all the credit. What a guy!

It's interesting that both Triplicate Girl and Mon-El stood out to us, even though they weren't shown using their powers. Perhaps there was something in their personalities we connected with. Or perhaps it was harder to pidgeonhole them with easy descriptions, such as "the guy who shoots lightning" or "the girl who walks through walls." We wanted to know more.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#63434 01/18/08 05:38 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
The story you cite, Man From Cargg, was originally published in Adventure Comics # 333 and later in LSH v. 1 # 2. It was the second Legion story I ever read, and my second exposure to Triplicate Girl. She didn't use her powers in either story, so I, too, was puzzled as to what she did. Nevertheless, she seemed important, as she did a lot of the talking and directed people where to go. I didn't realize until my third Legion story that she and Duo Damsel were one and the same.

It's interesting that both Triplicate Girl and Mon-El stood out to us, even though they weren't shown using their powers. Perhaps there was something in their personalities we connected with. Or perhaps it was harder to pidgeonhole them with easy descriptions, such as "the guy who shoots lightning" or "the girl who walks through walls." We wanted to know more.
I agree HWW, I think on that first viewing I assumed that Lu had a kind of leadership role as she seemed to be in charge of who went where to some degree and that she was important enough to stay behind and look after things by herself.

I also remember being determined to find out what her powers were so I kept buying Adventure Comics... so the beginning of my whole Legion collection may be partially attributed to that curiosity about her.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#63435 01/19/08 01:38 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
My first was DC Super-Stars #17, the Quintine (or wahtever) Crystal story. It did not make an impression (and I still find it rather poorly written); at the time I far favored the Green Arrow and Huntress stories of that issue.

I pretty much forgot about the Legion for almost a year, but somehow wound up with S/LSH #236. I loved the look and feel of the book (Sherman art!) and characters; this was clearly a book not stuck in standard super-hero cliches. Yes, there were elements stolen from various 70s sci-fi, but it worked!

The lead story (Rokk leading a team vs. the Worldsmith) was interesting. My intro to Mon-El, literally fighting a one-man war (as the story was titles) vs. the Khunds, was cool - he made a great first appearance with powers, too! crippling a huge Kghund warship without being lethal took brains, not just brawn. And the Garth/Imra story looked cool, even if as a kid it didn't make a lot of sense.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#63436 01/25/08 09:58 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
WILDFIRE first made an impression on me when I was in elementary school and I was reading a friend's comic during lunch assembly. I distinctly remember a sequence where Wildfire blasted out of his containment suit, which fell limp onto Blok's head. (I've since encountered that scene again when I started buying up Legion comics almost ten years later, but the exact issue number escapes me) At the time, I was just a bit weirded out by it.

#63437 01/26/08 04:43 AM
Deputy
Deputy
My first wow was the cover to Heros 200 issue 1, the digest sized comic book publishing translations of the LSH in France.

It was the first appearance of Dawnstar cover by Grell. I loved Dawnstar as soon as I saw her in her first adventure with the Legion, and even though she may not be my favorite Legionnaire anymore (but close), she was for many years.

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#63438 01/30/08 05:09 PM
Leader
Leader
My first Legion story was Adv. 337's "The Weddings that Wrecked the Legion" which featured a large cast. I was hooked immediately and started begging all my friends and neighbors for any Adventures in their collections so I could figure out who everybody was and what their powers were. The Legion had already lost its Adventure spot and I was unaware of their backup feature in Action at the time so my collection came together willy nilly and totally out of order.

I too didn't realize at first that Triplicate Girl and Duo Damsel were the same until I got my hands on Adv. 341. It took me some years to get the first part of the story.

Duo Damsel and Dream Girl have always been my favorites. I was intrigued by Dream Girl by reading letters from fans, asking for her return, long before I ever laid eyes on her. I remember getting her confused with Wonder Girl because of their synonymous names. The first issue I got my hands on that featured her was Adv. 351 and it was love at first sight. Her white hair enchanted me. I was also mystified by her back story. Why did she leave the Legion? How did she join the Subs? I have several albinos in my family tree and they always intrigued me too. Maybe I thought she was related! smile

Triplicate Girl never appealed to me. I thought her name was amateurish and the ability to split into three seemed pointless to me. Curt Swan was the artist who transformed her from clunky Triplicate Girl to adorable Duo Damsel. Superboy's eulogy to her brought tears to my eyes. Her crush on him, which was hinted at in Adv. 350 sealed the deal. I didn't get Adv. 348 which stated the crush outright for the first time (with so-so art by George Papp) until much later. When she took part in the Mordru mission she was mine forever. I'm also a twin and the idea of someone being able to become twins at will captivated me.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#63439 01/30/08 06:06 PM
Magically Delicious
Magically Delicious
My favorites have always been Cos and Dreamy... and they both appeared in the first comic I ever read, LSH #262.

Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!
#63440 01/30/08 06:10 PM
Magically Delicious
Magically Delicious
My favorites have always been Cos and Dreamy... and they both appeared in the first comic I ever read, LSH #262.

Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,433
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Andorian Lantern
Andorian Lantern
New York, NY
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star