Roll Call
0 members (), 37 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 04:29 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
Re: Spoilers... Issue #35... For No Better Reason, Part One!
#71615 07/26/04 07:57 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I was of mixed opinion about this one - the art is nice, I like seeing the Legionnaires looking like they could plausibly be the older teens they are.

But.. The guys are wearing "formal versions" of their usual uniforms, so why do the girls look like they just picked a colour from their uniform and found a dress in it? Too much skin. (Especially Salu.) Too much T&A overall - I don't see what kissing has to do with Canary's power, it would be nice if it had been explained how that works, and if we'd seen her actually use her power.

I liked Val in this one. Very good dialogue. Acting more like a person and less like a zen master android.

But why didn't Tinya's mom phase at the first sign of danger? (Maybe she's a clone, like McCauley was? Maybe she can't? Maybe this is a set-up?) Why is there a floating prison on earth? Did Takron-Galtos get shut down, or are these just the criminals they don't feel they need to send away? Why the combination of Legionnaires at the ceremony that there were? (Whose brilliant idea was it to put Tinya, Jo, Brin, and Tinya's mom all in one place? Why aren't there any founders there?) Why make the monument in the first place?

And the disconnection with the previous issue is jarring, especially since it makes Wildfire offering to go into the dead-tech zone seem doubly suicidal. I understand the reason for it, it's just unfortunate. (Although I guess it must not be in the Legion rules anymore that members cannot have abilities operated by a device, if they have enough technology-based Legionnaires to worry about.)

Still, this looks like it's going to be a well thought out and nicely paced story. I'm hopeful, I'm just sitting here going "hmm" after the first issue. I have a lot of questions.. but that might be the point.

"You and I long to live
Like whales in bottled water..."
#71616 07/26/04 09:17 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Flannel Lass,

Winema didn't phase because she was knocked out by the falling TV camera thing.

I don't know why it would be important for the founders to be present. They certainly have other obligations and responsiblities, so the ones present at the ceremony were merely the ones on hand. (Apart from that, they were were probably the ones Gail felt would work best in the story.)

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#71617 07/26/04 10:18 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I've been gone from this Legion World for a many months, and I just spent the longest time reading this thread. And I can't believe all the bullshit.

For once there was a creator willing to interact on a regular basis with readers, and now she's gone. It's really sad.

When I first came here everybody was really nice. And even when there was dissent, everybody (for the most part) got along. I guess all things change.

(P.S. Yet another reason to bring back letter cols.)

(P.P.S. Gail, although you might not read this, the question I was hoping to ask you: is the "spike" effect an homage to the "Magic Wars"?)

#71618 07/27/04 01:13 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
Originally posted by deanlegion:
[b] She also said Holy "Mole"-y. Wonder what that means... No one else has mentioned that...

I thought she was talking about Nura's star-shaped mole. [/b]
Gail confirmed that! Thanks, KP!

#71619 07/27/04 01:29 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The thing that I've seen happen so many times now, is that a creator will come to a forum like this, or like LegionPics or wherever else, and stick their neck out and *someone* always seems willing to take that chop at it. And even though lots and lots of people will praise and thank that creator for what they've done, that creator will still leave because of that one person, thereby depriving all the rest of the people there of the opportunity to have access to that creator. Yes, that one person has every right to their opinion, and to defend their own honor, or whatever position they've found themself in, but I wish, at least one time, I could see one of these people actually give in just because they don't want to deny their fellow posters the opportunity to that precious access. Quit thinking of only yourself. Think about your community.

#71620 07/27/04 01:53 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Flannel Lass:

And the disconnection with the previous issue is jarring, especially since it makes Wildfire offering to go into the dead-tech zone seem doubly suicidal.
I didn't really pick up on that when I read this issue, but it would make for a good story, if it could be developed. If Wildfire knows he has a life span inversely proportional to use of his powers, would this indicate that he's being particularly heroic, or that he's depressed and has just accepted his fate? Maybe he's even courting death? He always struck me as a high-risk oriented character. He must be wrestling with his position as a legionnaire - conserve his powers & life, or continue on as before?

The problem with The Legion is that every "official" story spawns multiple untold stories.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#71621 07/27/04 02:38 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Heh! Great problem!

#71622 07/27/04 07:21 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The thing that I've seen happen so many times now, is that a creator will come to a forum like this, or like LegionPics or wherever else, and stick their neck out and *someone* always seems willing to take that chop at it. And even though lots and lots of people will praise and thank that creator for what they've done, that creator will still leave because of that one person, thereby depriving all the rest of the people there of the opportunity to have access to that creator. Yes, that one person has every right to their opinion, and to defend their own honor, or whatever position they've found themself in, but I wish, at least one time, I could see one of these people actually give in just because they don't want to deny their fellow posters the opportunity to that precious access. Quit thinking of only yourself. Think about your community.
That was a good post, Dean.

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#71623 07/27/04 07:26 AM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
I agree.

#71624 07/27/04 07:42 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So do I. 'Nuff Said.

#71625 07/27/04 08:00 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Devil's advocate, Dean... Why isn't it a case of the creator denying all the people who've been kissing their backsides with praise (sometimes overly extravagant) ...by storming off because of something one poster said?

(edited to correct a case of Cobieitis laugh )

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#71626 07/27/04 10:57 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Dean, you expressed perfectly what I was feeling. It all comes down to being polite and considering the community. We shouldn't forget that creators are just people too and their feelings can get hurt as easily as ours.

#71627 07/27/04 03:10 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Pov:
Devil's advocate, Dean... Why isn't it a case of the creator denying all the people who've been kissing their backsides with praise (sometimes overly extravagant) ...by storming off because of something one poster said?

(edited to correct a case of Cobieitis laugh )
I just think that the creators come to forums like this with the best of intentions. Yes, they want to accept their praise. Yes, they want to promote their projects. But they also are willing to give otherwise unavailable insights into what they've worked on. They answer questions we have. They give sneak peeks at upcoming work. They even usually take the higher road when it seems someone doesn't care for their work. They'll often respond with comments like, "We know we can't please everyone" or "We just try to do our best." It is inevitably when a group member posts something simply rude or mean or personal about the creator that they react. I think most people would have a "fight or flight" response to harsh comments, but a creator, who IS generally going to be a guest, and yes, IMO, a *celebrity* guest, has even more right to be offended. How often do the flame wars between regular posters have to do with the quality of their livelihoods? If you don't like Gail Simone's writing or Steve Lightle's artwork, find a way of saying so that doesn't personally offend them. It's common courtesy.

#71628 07/27/04 11:06 PM
in season
in season
How often do the flame wars between regular posters have to do with the quality of their livelihoods?
It is a message board for Legion. Discussion (*pleasant*, one hopes) about the merits of the product and therefore the people that produce it are inevitable.

#71629 07/28/04 09:51 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I see nothing wrong with expressing criticism to a creator, so long as it is done in a polite, respectful manner. I doubt that any creator that might visit here will expect to only hear praise.

And so long as the criticism comes in a polite, respectful manner, I would expect them to respond (if they choose to) in the same polite, respectful manner.

Common courtesy should be given to ALL who post here, whether they be creator or fan.

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#71630 07/28/04 08:29 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Spellbinder:
Common courtesy should be given to ALL who post here, whether they be creator or fan.
And junk the rest of the post - THAT's the important bit.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#71631 07/29/04 06:20 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Sanity or Madness?:
And junk the rest of the post - THAT's the important bit.
Dear, EVERYTHING I say is important wink

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#71632 07/29/04 10:54 AM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
lol

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#71633 07/29/04 11:46 AM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
Guys, criticism is always fine, and I am really the wrong person to lay a charge of acting like a 'celebrity' on, since I think pros who act like that are incredibly goofy.

I'm sorry to have abandoned everyone, I don't want anyone censored or their posts deleted on my account, I certainly don't want anyone's mod powers removed. One reason I am careful what I say (usually, anyway), is because I DON'T want posters to feel they have to watch what they say around someone involved in the work being discussed.

I probably shouldn't have left, but I could feel myself getting a bit pissy, and I don't like that feeling, so it was better to leave.

But for the record, I'll say it again. I apologize for my part in this, and I apologize to Blockade Boy for the same. I certainly don't think it's anything to be proud of. Honestly, this is so much not a deal to be worried about--I just was trying to avoid having some dumb escalation that embarrasses everyone. wink

Best wishes,

Gail

#71634 07/31/04 10:30 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Alright I don't mean to bring this thread back up...but I just read the issue. I buy comics once a month thus got both #35 and #36 today.

Organ-Thief appears to be a very creepy villain. The Hannibal Lector of the 31st century. I like him. doh! Would make a good nemesis for Karate Kid who is a more down to earth hero anyways. wink

I like Trudy narrating. The villain with the rifle...now I can read some italian...something about "you inspiring the man with a concert that infuses suffering" what in sam hill? Not from any italian opera I know. I looked it up in yahoo something called La Vacamata? I will read more about it later. Thanks for educating us Gail. wink

Blue Devil? Super sexy and I love her. Yet reminds me of Nightcrawler's daughter in the Exiles (Marvel). I wonder if she was a lighter blue like BD himself if it would look better? Nah she looks sexier dark!

The Persuader daughter thing is interesting. He is one of my fave Legion villains! I always thought he was of asian descent (like Val).

Didn't quite get the Canary/Dreamer kiss negating technology but I don't mind little details.

Holy cow the President got shot?! To tell the truth never liked her. mean i know. Brainy going mad? While it is very interesting I don't like that he could go crazy so easily...yet more on this next issue...

Gail you wrote a fun interesting story. If I didn't like something I'd tell ya just not as rudely as others. I will tell you that the star of the book is DAN JURGENS! wink

Didn't want to comment on the art till last. I've always liked Jurgens though I've always considered him an average comic artist. Wow. Not only did the Legion look over 12 years old...but everything looks perfect! Nice to see a change of pace artist that doesn't go for that manga teeny bop look (i love Coipel and BATISTA fyi). But I didn't just like the art because the female heroes were out of training bras or Jo and Wolf look like men*gasp*....it was down right beautiful. Line work, panel work. Nice.

As some said it's nice to read a story where the entire universe isn't at stake and we can actually concentrate on a few members and a solid plot.

Jorge

#71635 08/14/04 12:07 PM
Active
Active
I've just read that issue and i like it!

First, a great story.
Second, a great characterisation.
Third, a great art.

I like the way the story starts and the hints in the dialogues before the action really starts. For example how we are told about the situation of dreamer before we see that she has been captured some pages later.

The story-telling is good too. I like the way we go between the action in the prison and on the stage where President Wazzo is making is speech.

I also like how the characters looks. They're always young but more like young adults and not aged children. They've great costumes too.

a great issue. What a pity, Gail is only on the serie for 4 issues.

Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,250
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star